Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Real Madrid have their haters, but you've got to say one thing for them, they go out to try and attack and win every game they play.

And thats a rare thing in this modern football of packed defences, negative tactics and parking buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Penalty as in if it goes to Penos? Or if he scores a Penalty?

Either way i'll take the €20. Assuming free kicks count?

Thank you very much Ronaldo :)

Paypal or Bank details Golden Miller?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Atletico fortunate to be just one down. Actually surprised with just how bad they have looked defensively even knowing they struggled this season more than most. Very little imagination on the ball from them so far too.

Madrid could be out of sight with a bit of luck.

Edit: big chance for Atletico.....if only Griezmann had been on the receiving end of that pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

NIMAN wrote: »
    Real Madrid have their haters, but you've got to say one thing for them, they go out to try and attack and win every game they play.

And thats a rare thing in this modern football of packed defences, negative tactics and parking buses.
    Under Zidane they most certainly don't.
    Most of the times it's pragmatism and efficiency and often times very boring. (Highly admirable organisation but boring. )

Ancellottis Madrid were the team you describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One day I'll see atletico play a pleasing game of football. They are a team of talents who play in a style that is quite hard to admire unless being hard to beat is your thing.

Agree Harry.

People often said to me "I'd love to see Atleti win the CL", but I argued only if you wanted to see negativity win out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Isco really is a magic little player

Turtwig wrote: »
    Most of the times it's pragmatism and efficiency and often times very boring. (Highly admirable organisation but boring. )

Well I dunno, the games I have seen lately are exciting to watch.

Games against Bayern, winning in Munich, trying to get 3pts when down to 10 men in El Clasico, all out attack tonight.....that sounds like a pretty attacking team to me.

astradave wrote: »
    Atleti will point to Ronaldo being offside in a previous phase of play which influences the poor clear that leads to the goal.

Scoreline is reflective of the game though.

Does he influence it though, he seemed a yard or two behind the player. He didn't even challenge for the header so can't really be deemed to be interfering with play

The ball is headed for him and defender panics. Agree though it'd be harsh.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Ronaldo continuing to do nothing against the big teams.

Is this your mantra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Have to agree which I find -really- surprising, would have thought Zidane would be either or both a bit of a headless chicken and looking to outscore the opposition with fairly little emphasis on defense. He's surprised me for the better, to be honest.

Is this your mantra?
    Some people seem to dispute it, might as well remind them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Can't understand why folks have a problem with defending well. AM attack when the opportunity arises. Luis pushes forward, the wide men play high up the pitch and the two 'holding midfielders' support the attack. What more do you want. Real are a mirror image of them for the record.

There's nothing negative in defending well. Its a dying art as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Have to agree which I find -really- surprising, would have thought Zidane would be either or both a bit of a headless chicken and looking to outscore the opposition with fairly little emphasis on defense. He's surprised me for the better, to be honest.

Zidane started like that, he was throwing on as many attackers as possible but after a few poor results (i think they drew like four in a row) he tried casemiro as defensive mid and it has clicked big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd like Atletico to win but history tells us they'll bottle it against Real Madrid.
    In 2014, yeah, they bottled it somewhat. Last year, they pushed them all the way and came from behind. Losing narrowly on penos isn't really bottling it.

Atleti had a terrible record against Madrid before Simeone. He's practically eliminated that now, though at this moment in time Madrid are better. It's a long way from the 14-year drought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think to say they bottled it before is harsh on them. Real are an incredible team no shame in losing to them.

Exactly it's hardly bottling it with Ramos scores a 92nd minute equaliser to take it to extra time. But sure look fact are facts and people who have Twitter accounts openly laughing at trolling boards will remain just that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

That Ramos elbow couldn't be more blatant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Surely should be red for Ramos

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see how he handles things when their form dips and criticisms of style become more vocal.

Real have more in common with Zidane's juventus than his galacticos. Which is for the better but as a neutral their pragmatism can be somewhat boring at times. Can't see Madridstas tolerating it once results decline.

Exactly it's hardly bottling it with Ramos scores a 92nd minute equaliser to take it to extra time. But sure look fact are facts and people who have Twitter accounts openly laughing at trolling boards will remain just that

And it also has to be remembered how stretched they were at the time after a long, gruelling season - especially with their style of play. They managed to barely get a draw from Barca about a week before to win the La Liga title and were absolutely out on their feet for the last 20 or so minutes of it, esp with Arda Turan & Diego Costa going off injured in the first 20-25 minutes (Costa being injured going into the game but they absolutely had to try and get 45-60 mins out of him under the circumstances). That is one of the single most admirable seasons from any club I can remember, really was gutting for them how that CL final ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Near perfect half for madrid, atletico can't possibly play any worse.

By the way, Marca (!!!) declare that the goal is offside. When Marca (!!!!) declare a Real Madrid goal to be offside then it is without doubt offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Do UEFA use video evidence retrospectively? I don't remember them using it but if they did Ramos should miss a couple of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

By the way, Marca (!!!) declare that the goal is offside. When Marca (!!!!) declare a Real Madrid goal to be offside then it is without doubt offside.

Nope(!!!)

• Advertisement

Anyway, someone I respect online made a claim that this Real Madrid squad is the best assembled in the history of football, agree or disagree?

Anyway, someone I respect online made a claim that this Real Madrid squad is the best assembled in the history of football, agree or disagree?

Nope; disagree.

astradave wrote: »
    Nope(!!!)

Marca (!!!!!) say yes, so definitely yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nope

Marca (!!!!!) say yes, so definitely yes.

I have eyes (!!!!!) so nope (!!!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

corny wrote: »
    Can't understand why folks have a problem with defending well. AM attack when the opportunity arises. Luis pushes forward, the wide men play high up the pitch and the two 'holding midfielders' support the attack. What more do you want. Real are a mirror image of them for the record.

Personally i prefer attacking football. This atleti team play defensive, theyre normally good at it but it means some games end up nil all. I'd rather watch a game with lots of attacking play and goals than another nil all draw or even a one nil tbh. Same reason i dont watch chelsea or man yoo anymore, its not for me, life's too short.

And defending is certainly not dying! Look at the premiership, nil all, one nil, the best league in the world. Its easy to stack a defensive and kick the ball away. Try creating something like messi did in the last clasico, that is beauty.

I'm sorry but I don't believe they did this link?

Nope; disagree.

I'm struggling to think of a better squad.

I'm sorry but I don't believe they did this link?

http://www.marca.com/futbol/champions-league/2017/05/02/5908d928268e3ee5188b4585.html

It's in Spanish but couple of people on my timeline translated it.

Is that person you AIG?

Big claim, can't be far off, bayern when they won it had some squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

corny wrote:

Nothing wrong with defending well but Atletico have been all over the shop at times.

http://www.marca.com/futbol/champions-league/2017/05/02/5908d928268e3ee5188b4585.html

It's in Spanish but couple of people on my timeline translated it.

Here's the English, they say he is positioned in an offside position but don't actually take in the rules of interfering with play.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2017/05/02/5908dcc122601dd32a8b45d7.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Gameiro isn't a good enough striker at this level, he's good but not good enough for a champions league contending team.Couple of occasions in good positions where his touch has let him down.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Is that person you AIG?

It's not even me this time!

Only area Real Madrid maybe aren't totally exceptional is goalkeeper, though Navas is excellent.

Isco was stunning in that half. Great link play, nobody has been near his level.

On the flip side, Griezmann has been quite awful, not a lot of service but hasn't done enough to get on the ball and has been poor when he's had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I'm struggling to think of a better squad.

The great Sacchi Milan team? Or Capello's Milan? Or Guardiola's Barca?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

By Ronaldo being in that position and having a defender near him while also jumping he's offside.

Just because he didn't touch the ball doesn't mean he doesn't interfere with play.

Offside for me.

The great Sacchi Milan team? Or Capello's Milan? Or Guardiola's Barca?

Not sure the squad in those days had to have the quality in depth that they do now. That Barca is, in my opinion, the best team ever but the overall squad wasn't this strong, even if the top 13/14 players were better arguably.

Madrid undoubtedly have the best extended squad in the game at the moment. No idea if it's the best ever however.

By Ronaldo being in that position and having a defender near him while also jumping he's offside.

Just because he didn't touch the ball doesn't mean he doesn't interfere with play.

Offside for me.

He doesn't even challenge the player. He is 2 yards behind the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Who was it that said that?

Did they have any kind of analysis to back up their argument? Or was it the online equivalent of lettig a bull loose in a china shop and laughing at the events that unfold?

Definitely wasnt offside.

That's a bad loss for Real

Not for me, Barcelona squad with Pep was the top squad. Then they ruined it by getting rid of Eto

Wouldn't be too sure about Nacho man at right back.

• Advertisement

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Is that person you AIG?

It's not even me this time!

Only area Real Madrid maybe aren't totally exceptional is goalkeeper, though Navas is excellent.

Isco was stunning in that half. Great link play, nobody has been near his level.

On the flip side, Griezmann has been quite awful, not a lot of service but hasn't done enough to get on the ball and has been poor when he's had it.

Griezmann has largely carried Atleti all season not surprising he's been subdued by Madrid tonight.

Advertisement