Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Not sure the squad in those days had to have the quality in depth that they do now. That Barca is, in my opinion, the best team ever but the overall squad wasn't this strong, even if the top 13/14 players were better arguably.

Capello's Milan beat Barcelona without Van Basten, Baresi, Costacurta, Papin or Brian Laudrup in the team. They also had Florin Răducioiu left out of the squad. And Gianluigi Lentini who had been injured in a car-crash.

They had a stellar squad of players to choose from and strength in depth all over the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

monkey9 wrote: »
    Maybe he should just stop laying bets altogether that one of the greatest goalscorers of our generation won't score. Seriously, he should probably stop that.

Sound advice here. It's an outrageously stupid thing to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

http://www.marca.com/futbol/champions-league/2017/05/02/5908d928268e3ee5188b4585.html

It's in Spanish but couple of people on my timeline translated it.

It says he was not influencing the game, so it wasnt offside, going by the rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm struggling to think of a better squad.

Barca late 2000s (at least as an XI), Ajax early '70s (Haan, Krol, Hulshoff, Suurbier, the Muhrens, Swart, Keizer, Rep, Neeskens and of course Cruyff) and Milan early '90s (Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta, Tassotti, Panucci, Desailly, Albertini, Boban, Donadoni, Lentini, Laudrup, Savicevic, Papin* and van Basten) would be at least their equals in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The team that Milan put out in the 2005 final was probably one of the greatest teams ever. Really was a miracle that night. Just look through that team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sound advice here. It's an outrageously stupid thing to do.

He's got 50 goals now in the Cl knock out stages in 66 games.For comparison the next best is Messi who has 37.

Only does it against small teams though, amirite?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Ronaldo's offside for me for the goal. The defender knows he's behind him and therefore feels pressured to head it away. It's not for the defender to know he's offside behind him.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Griezmann has largely carried Atleti all season not surprising he's been subdued by Madrid tonight.

That's another reason I'd love him see win it out.
    He will score yet. Match to finish 2-1 to Madrid tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Anyway, someone I respect online made a claim that this Real Madrid squad is the best assembled in the history of football, agree or disagree?

Call me biased, a word you are most familiar with :D, but the United 2007 2008 squad was very tasty!

Van Der Sar, Neville, Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, , Wes Brown (when he was quite decent), Hargreaves (maybe his last proper season), Ronaldo, Saha, Rooney, Gigg, Ji Sung, Scholes, Evans, Fletcher, Anderson, Tevez, Carrick, Nani, Foster, Scholes, Pique :D , Fletcher, Silvestre, Solskjaer, O Shea.

Few areas needed tidying up but an excellet balanced squad

Obviously can't say it is the best in soccer history (there is no qualitative measurement for same) but comparing it to Madrid tonight, is it far off??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That's another reason I'd love him see win it out.
    He will score yet. Match to finish 2-1 to Madrid tho.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The old adage that "decisions eventually even themselves out" doesn't apply to Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Call me bias, a word you are most familiar with :D, but the United 2007 2008 squad was very tasty!

Van Der Sar, Neville, Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, , Wes Brown (when he was quite decent), Hargreaves (maybe his last proper season), Ronaldo, Saha, Rooney, Gigg, Ji Sung, Scholes, Evans, Fletcher, Anderson, Tevez, Carrick, Nani, Foster, Scholes, Pique :D , Fletcher, Silvestre, Solskjaer, O Shea.

Obviously can't say it is the best in soccer history (there is no qualitative measurement for same) but comparing it to Madrid tonight, is it far off??

United were a serious force back then. Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez, those were the days..

Call me biased, a word you are most familiar with :D, but the United 2007 2008 squad was very tasty!

Some of the interplay between Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo when they all played together was a joy to watch that season.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Ronaldo's offside for me for the goal. The defender knows he's behind him and therefore feels pressured to head it away. It's not for the defender to know he's offside behind him.
    The flag should've went up and that should have been the end of the attack. He was offside.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Barca late 2000s (at least as an XI), Ajax early '70s (Haan, Krol, Hulshoff, Suurbier, the Muhrens, Swart, Keizer, Rep, Neeskens and of course Cruyff) and Milan early '90s (Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta, Tassotti, Panucci, Desailly, Albertini, Boban, Donadoni, Lentini, Laudrup, Savicevic, Papin* and van Basten) would be at least their equals in my mind.

The Bayern squad from 1974-1976/77 was pretty tasty too.

As were Paisley's Liverpool squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

niallo27 wrote:
    The team that Milan put out in the 2005 final was probably one of the greatest teams ever. Really was a miracle that night. Just look through that team.

It was better than the 2007 one but yeah it was without Inzaghi & had Rui Costa, Serginho (one of the best impact subs ever if your a Milan fan), JDT, Ambrosini & Kaladze.
    Fast forward to 2017 in comparison is frightening. 10 years since Milan won it. Feels like 10,000 when I see Jose Sosa, Honda (Who I forgot even existed) & Gabi Palleta.

niallo27 wrote: »

Kaka coming into his prime
    I remember him scoring 3 (or two I think) against Utd. Initially was crushed but was also in awe

United were a serious force back then. Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez, those were the days..

Only problem was the lack of goalscorers apart from those 3. No other player scored more than 5 that season

As a United fan... absolutely not!

One of the very best (and sometimes overlooked) GK/CB/CB trios of all time in VDS/Vidic/Ferdinand, a majestic CM in Scholes and an all timer hitting their peak in Ronaldo alongside some other very noteworthy players - but as an overall squad, no. Not even close.

Crespo and Shevchenko up front. Both in their primes. Inzaghi was a great goalscorer. Nesta, Stam, Maldini and Cafu at the back. They could chose from Kaka, Pirlo, Ambrosini, Rui Costa or Gattuso in midfield.

How did they lose that game?

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    :D

I mean the CL :)

Can't see them won the first leg at the moment

Crespo and Shevchenko up front. Both in their primes. Inzaghi was a great goalscorer. Nesta, Stam, Maldini and Cafu at the back. They could chose from Kaka, Pirlo, Ambrosini, Rui Costa or Gattuso in midfield.

By Crespo having a perfectly good goal called back for being offside. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Real Madrid 2002-2003 was something else too. A few older players but they were something else. Fat Ronaldo, Figo, Zidane, Carlos, Hierro, Makalele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

What is there for Simeone after this with Atlethico? Win or lose? Would be a great coach at Arsenal imo.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I mean the CL :)

Can't see them won the first leg at the moment

I'm laughing cause obviously a team from Madrid are going to win M!cK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Not a 2nd yellow, nasty tackle by Isco.

Ramos looking for a card:pac:. He's got some cheek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Such an expierenced side too. I suppose when you have Djimi Traore in your side anyone is beatable.

Such an expierenced side too. I suppose when you have Djimi Traore in your side anyone is beatable.

Its why he has never played regularly, it would have been unfair for everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Fans need to lay off Benzema, he's the creator of a new position, defensive centre forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bound to be a red card in this tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Should be two yellows in a minute for Atletico. No mention of it from some. Funny that

Soft boy Nacho
    Get up with that messing, rolling around screaming like a baby
    Can't stand that

What is there for Simeone after this with Atlethico? Win or lose? Would be a great coach at Arsenal imo.

Jardim to Arsenal, heard it here (and in every tabloid!) first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

This the same Savic who was useless for City?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Thats the problem with always playing so defensively, when you do need to score, they look out of practice attacking. Apart from some excellent pickpocketing and griezemann as always, atletico have been poor tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Great goal.

**** me that's some finish!

Fantastic. F*ck the haters!

So I called him to catch Messi in the top scorer competition this season in CL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Will that fella ever stop not doing it on the big stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

That Ronaldo lad really is useless.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If you need someone to stick the ball in the net, Ronaldo is your best bet

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Golden Miller will be bankrupt by the end of the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Brilliant finish

Nothing player bill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Howler from felipe luis. Lovely strike for the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Stupendous, incredulous the best there is the best there will be. Simply the best player on planet. What a right foot volley top of the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Godin & Luiz there......far too soft. What happened them?
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Waster, robbing a living

• Advertisement
Advertisement