Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some humble pie getting eaten tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yea, but will not be classified as a true great until he scores in Europe on a Monday night.

And a rainy Monday night in Stoke at that!

The true greats could have scored goals with a rolled up newspaper, Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

How were this Madrid team that poor in El Classico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

It's amazing to think that Real Madrid paid €100 million for Gareth Bale and they don't seem to miss him in the slightest.

Vasquez,Asensio,Isco,Morata and James must be the greatest back up attack in the history of the sport.

I think bale has gone backwards since joining real there better without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He's such a Goal Slut /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He faked the left corner well there with his body shape.

I presume your joking. His brilliant but he definitely fell over hitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Ronaldo has scored 8 goals in 3 KO games (against Bayern x2, Atletico), that's insane record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

There's no comparison.

Because Messi isnt in the CL :pac::pac:

Think we'll see Simeone move on in the summer, he's taken this team as far as he can, they are on the downhill slope now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Well Barcelona didn't defend as bad (can't believe I'm writing that) & relied on Messi instead of Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

niallo27 wrote:
    I presume your joking. His brilliant but he definitely fell over hitting it.

Watch it again. I'm pretty sure it was deliberate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

sky88 wrote: »
    I think bale has gone backwards since joining real there better without him

Agree.I think he would have turned into a better player had he stayed at Spurs and been the main man. He wouldn't have won as much but I think individually his career would have been better.It's such a pity player don't have the balls to want to be the main man at a smaller team and push them towards success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

TheCitizen wrote: »
    At least we'll be spared that. Atletico have been pathetic. Only Juventus can stop Real now.

True but Real Madrid are probably winning this competition again. Tbh in a one off game on a big occasion only a few teams are capable of beating them, over 2 legs it's even more difficult. Atletico are an excellent side but the psychological impact of those 2 final defeats against Real Madrid have worn heavy on their minds, Real Madrid looked very confident from minute one to minute ninety.

If Messi was Irish he'd be called Mossey .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Atletico has been awful tonight.

They haven't been great, but really all the credit and praise should be bestowed upon Real rather than looking at Atletico. It was a super performance from Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Penalty as in if it goes to Penos? Or if he scores a Penalty?

Either way i'll take the €20. Assuming free kicks count?
    Thank you very much Ronaldo :)

Paypal or Bank details Golden Miller?

So do I get paid out 3 times now or?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

NIMAN wrote: »
    Think we'll see Simeone move on in the summer, he's taken this team as far as he can, they are on the downhill slope now.

I agree, can see him going to Inter, probably take Godin with him

ERG89 wrote: »
    Well Barcelona didn't defend as bad (can't believe I'm writing that) & relied on Messi instead of Torres.

Nah, Madrid were so stagnant. Barcelona weren't much better, if not worse. They played well below their capability that game. And still nearly nicked a draw with 10 men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Would kill for the ability to have the ignore option on quoted texts.

(I do appreciate that nobody will be able to read this )

There used to be a vbulletin add on for Firefox and chrome. Dunno if it's still about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Difference in benches is unreal, Torres didn't have a kick

They need to clone him asap.
    It can be done and should be done.

Difference in benches is unreal, Torres didn't have a kick

Neither did Griezmann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

irishman86 wrote: »
    I agree, can see him going to Inter, probably take Godin with him

The Great Bunch of Lads that own Inter now would probably give him a huge warchest to spend on rebuilding that Inter squad as well.

Plus a massive salary.

Would be great for Serie A if it did happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thats Real in the final.

Atletico have been dire. They played like a fancy Stoke trying kick lumps out of Real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

True but Real Madrid are probably winning this competition again. Tbh in a one off game on a big occasion only a few teams are capable of beating them, over 2 legs it's even more difficult. Atletico are an excellent side but the psychological impact of those 2 final defeats against Real Madrid have worn heavy on their minds, Real Madrid looked very confident from minute one to minute ninety.
    I think Juventus will beat them if they meet in the Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Because Atleti only really have Griezemann and their defence ain't what it used to be.

Two of the greatest players to ever play the sport, CR7 and Lionel Messi. It's just been a pleasure to have been able to watch their respective careers unfold. Nights like tonight for Ronaldo, for Messi in the latest El Classico, I really couldn't give a f*ck who the better of the two is, they're both monsters.

The Great Bunch of Lads that own Inter now would probably give him a huge warchest to spend on rebuilding that Inter squad as well.

Plus a massive salary.

Would be great for Serie A if it did happen.

Who owns Inter now?

Nah, Madrid were so stagnant. Barcelona weren't much better, if not worse. They played well below their capability that game. And still nearly nicked a draw with 10 men

Did you watch it?
    They probably created as many chances as tonight but tonight they took them.
    Atletico created very little all night & felt like they could concede on every attack.

• Advertisement

Who owns Inter now?

Sean Yin.

Who owns Inter now?

68% or so owned by Suning Holdings Group of China

Another 30% owned by Erick Thohir (I don't expect he'll be around for long as I can see Suning buying his share out eventually)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

stankratz wrote: »
    Two of the greatest players to ever play the sport, CR7 and Lionel Messi. It's just been a pleasure to have been able to watch their respective careers unfold. Nights like tonight for Ronaldo, for Messi in the latest El Classico, I really couldn't give a f*ck who the better of the two is, they're both monsters.

Bang on!

Some (admittedly by now very, very few) get so tied up in trying to knock Ronaldo to make Lionel look better I don't know if it will dawn on them until years after he's done. But we are absolutely watching two of the top 10, possibly even top 3-5, players of all time at the same time and very much in tandem with each other. The only real comparison I can think of is Cruyff/Beckenbauer. We're incredibly ****ing lucky to have had them the last 12-15 years and for whatever years are left of them too.

Sean Yin.
    Fae Craggy Island

NIMAN wrote: »

If I were an arsenal fan I'd be praying Wenger goes in the summer and simeone steps in

Billy86 wrote: »
    Bang on!

Some (admittedly by now very, very few) get so tied up in trying to knock Ronaldo to make Lionel look better I don't know if it will dawn on them until years after he's done. But we are absolutely watching two of the top 10, possibly even top 3-5, players of all time at the same time and very much in tandem with each other. The only real comparison I can think of is Cruyff/Beckenbauer. We're incredibly ****ing lucky to have had them the last 12-15 years and for whatever years are left of them too.

Wouldn't say Ronaldo is in the top 5 to be fair to him.

Top 5 would probably be Pele,Maradona,Cryuff,Beckenbauer and Messi (In no particualr order).

First time ever there has been such a long standing rivarly between 2 all time greats though. Beckenbauer and Cryuff would have rarely played against each other these guys have been playing against each other at least 2 times a year for almost 10 years.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    If I were an arsenal fan I'd be praying Wenger goes in the summer and simeone steps in

Wenger is going nowhere.

He's undoubtedly signed that 2 year contract and will wait until the end of the season to announce it to let the heat die down from the fans over the summer.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Did you watch it?
    They probably created as many chances as tonight but tonight they took them.
    Atletico created very little all night & felt like they could concede on every attack.

No I didn't watch it............ :rolleyes:

They were much better tonight, much. Maybe, just maybe Madrid were the reason Atletico played so poor tonight, rather than conversely.

Anyone will tell you Barca were very poor that night also and the Real team of tonight would have dispatched them easy enough.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

It'd be interesting to see how Arsenal fans would react to his footballing ways if that were to happen. I think he'd be a very good appointment, but straight away you'd get the arguement that he doesn't play the 'Arsenal way'. But the Arsenal way has only been the 'Arsene Way'. They weren't always noted for playing nice football before Wenger took over ie the George Graham era for example.

I think Simeone would be effective and bring success to the club. But Wenger should have went a few years back when there was a chance of getting Klopp if he was available. I genuinely believed Klopp would end up there. Little did i know then he'd end up where he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Top 5 would probably be Pele,Maradona,Cryuff,Beckenbauer and Messi (In no particualr order).

Great that you've cleared that up for everyone.

• Advertisement

Wenger is going nowhere.

He's undoubtedly signed that 2 year contract and will wait until the end of the season to announce it to let the heat die down from the fans over the summer.
    I pray you are right

No I didn't watch it............ :rolleyes:

They were much better tonight, much. Maybe, just maybe Madrid were the reason Atletico played so poor tonight, rather than conversely.

Anyone will tell you Barca were very poor that night also and the Real team of tonight would have dispatched them easy enough.
    Barcelona don't capitulate to Real like the way Atletico do, especially in the Champions League.

monkey9 wrote: »
    It'd be interesting to see how Arsenal fans would react to his footballing ways if that were to happen. I think he'd be a very good appointment, but straight away you'd get the arguement that he doesn't play the 'Arsenal way'. But the Arsenal way has only been the 'Arsene Way'. They weren't always noted for playing nice football before Wenger took over ie the George Graham era for example.

I think Simeone would be effective and bring success to the club. But Wenger should have went a few years back when there was a chance of getting Klopp if he was available. I genuinely believed Klopp would end up there. Little did i know then he'd end up where he did.

I'd imagine if he had them genuinely trying to compete rather than floating along like the last ten years they wouldn't give a flying fk about the Arsenal way. And anyway, The Arsenal Way isn't really a thing in how it's thought of now. Arsenal were always a team of hard dirty hoors when I was growing up. Some silky forwards but even they tended to be big buggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

First time ever there has been such a long standing rivarly between 2 all time greats though. Beckenbauer and Cryuff would have rarely played against each other these guys have been playing against each other at least 2 times a year for almost 10 years.

If Real win this tournament that will be 2 CLs and a European Championship in 12 months for Ronaldo. Probably up there with any of the above players achievements. Done it in 2 leagues while breaking pretty much every goalscoring record put in front of him.

Him and Messi are the best 2 ever and it's not even close imo.

I'd have Maradona right up there. Haven't seen enough of the other lads to compare.

Barcelona don't capitulate to Real like the way Atletico do, especially in the Champions League.

That wasn't anything to do with my post to be fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Ronaldo has more goals in the CL knockout stages than he does in the group stages. That's pretty amazing.

52 vs 51

68% or so owned by Suning Holdings Group of China
    Another 30% owned by Erick Thohir (I don't expect he'll be around for long as I can see Suning buying his share out eventually)

That squad needs the greatest kick up the arse that was ever given. So much talent in it but a poisonous attitude with some of the horrific results they've got in the Europa League & Serie A.

If barca were "very poor" why didn't they get beat out the gate as they were in bad form going into it & when they are poor they normally get hammered out the gate.

That wasn't anything to do with my post to be fair!
    I think it has everything to do with your post, "to be fair".

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    I'd imagine if he had them genuinely trying to compete rather than floating along like the last ten years they wouldn't give a flying fk about the Arsenal way. And anyway, The Arsenal Way isn't really a thing in how it's thought of now. Arsenal were always a team of hard dirty hoors when I was growing up. Some silky forwards but even they tended to be big buggers.

This is what i mean though. There are Arsenal fans who have only known Wenger as manager and think that's the way Arsenal have always been. There could be some who wouldn't put up with Simeone's 'anti football'. I've no problem with Simeone's way of playing at all but you'll always have some, a bit like West Ham fans, who think their team should be playing a certain way.

As far as i'm concerned, winning football in exciting football.

Advertisement