Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Also in 2012, Messi had 4 Ballon D'or's vs 1 to Ronaldo. Now there is a good chance it will be 5 vs 5.
    It would be funny to see some of those that hate Ronaldo lose their minds this year if he did win it - Messi is more deserving over the season, but they always weight it strongly to the latter stages of the CL and internationals (where Messi has gone and picked himself up a 4 game ban).

Agreed though, you never know but I doubt we'd see another like them for a good decade or so -at least- after, particularly in terms of keeping at the top so long unlike Brazilian Ronaldo or Ronaldinho who fell off for separate reasons. Won't stop the media trying to hype the bejaysus out of everyone as the 'new Ronaldo/Messi', mind! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

LiamoSail wrote: »
    It's a team sport though, not an individual game. Winning titles is what the game is about, not winning PoTY awards. What he would have done at Spurs means nothing relative to what hemhas achieved at Real

Loads of players have medals though without it meaning they were that great.The majority of players even on great teams are replaceable and they really don't win things they just happen to be part of a team that wins.

Juan Roman Riquelme won basically nothing in his career and yet he'll be regarded for more highly than 99.99% of of players who won league titles and champions leagues.

Bale wouldn't have won as much at Spurs but his individual career may have been better due to him being to main man.

I don't know if I was a player what I'd do but sometimes I think it's better to be a great player rather than having a great medal collection.Bales obviously top class but I think if he stayed at Spurs he could have been even better , he was simply ridiculous in his last season there.

It all depends as well, Spurs may not have signed some of the guys they have had they kept Bale - but if they had, they quite possibly would be top of the table and defending champions right now. All ifs and buts of course, but while with Madrid he'll be forgotten about somewhat a little after he is gone, at Spurs he would have been a legend at the club for decades afterwards and could have helped push them to being a higher level and even challenge for European honours for all we know.

All ifs and buts as I said though one thing is pretty certain - he (I would assume) earns much more money at Madrid than he would at Spurs, and there's absolutely no shame in that being a reason for his playing for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Loads of players have medals though without it meaning they were that great.The majority of players even on great teams are replaceable and they really don't win things they just happen to be part of a team that wins.

Juan Roman Riquelme won basically nothing in his career and yet he'll be regarded for more highly than 99.99% of of players who won league titles and champions leagues.

Bale wouldn't have won as much at Spurs but his individual career may have been better due to him being to main man.

I don't know if I was a player what I'd do but sometimes I think it's better to be a great player rather than having a great medal collection.Bales obviously top class but I think if he stayed at Spurs he could have been even better , he was simply ridiculous in his last season there.

I see your point, I just disagree entirely. It's a team game, individual recognition or awards are irrelevant. As long as he's a first team player, he'd have a far better career at Real than at Spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It's a team sport though, not an individual game. Winning titles is what the game is about, not winning PoTY awards. What he would have done at Spurs means nothing relative to what hemhas achieved at Real

What's your reasoning as to why, at that time in his career, he wouldn't have moved? I mean everything pointed to a move further up the ladder. Much like everything pointed to a move to Spurs when he was younger. Hindsight is a great thing but people saying he made the wrong move to move to the most acclaimed club in many people's opinion in the history of the game where he was guaranteed a first 11 spot and would be playing European football every year and arguably winning European cups. The chances were he would most probably improve as well.

I don't get your reasoning at all. In my opinion staying was the riskiest decision as he would have been making a decision at that point that may lead him to be wasting his talent to an extent by staying with an average team in comparison to what he was capable of.

The challenges at being at a team like Madrid and the rewards are far greater than at a club where he will always be the main man, always be undroppable but likely not to be in a team challenging for honours like Madrid.

And then there was the money. And you may dismiss that but of course it comes into the equation.

It's a team game,.

Hindsight I'd great and you could say he could now be part of this Spurs team. But that's not how things work.

Once again, I can see no logic as to why he wouldn't have accepted the Real offer at the time.

He is also still when fit a first 11 player in one of the best assembled squads in decades.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Billy86 wrote: »
    It all depends as well, Spurs may not have signed some of the guys they have had they kept Bale - but if they had, they quite possibly would be top of the table and defending champions right now. All ifs and buts of course, but while with Madrid he'll be forgotten about somewhat a little after he is gone, at Spurs he would have been a legend at the club for decades afterwards and could have helped push them to being a higher level and even challenge for European honours for all we know.

All ifs and buts as I said though one thing is pretty certain - he (I would assume) earns much more money at Madrid than he would at Spurs, and there's absolutely no shame in that being a reason for his playing for them.

Why would someone stay at Spurs when you could move to Real, its called ambition. Sure he could have stayed at Southampton and been a hero. Why did Suarez leave to Barcelona when he could have become a legend at Liverpool? Ambition to play for one of the top teams in the world.

What's your reasoning as to why, at that time in his career, he wouldn't have moved? I mean everything pointed to a move further up the ladder. Much like everything pointed to a move to Spurs when he was younger. Hindsight is a great thing but people saying he made the wrong move to move to the most acclaimed club in many people's opinion in the history of the game where he was guaranteed a first 11 spot and would be playing European football every year and arguably winning European cups. The chances were he would most probably improve as well.

I don't get your reasoning at all. In my opinion staying was the riskiest decision as he would have been making a decision at that point that may lead him to be wasting his talent to an extent by staying with an average team in comparison to what he was capable of.

The challenges at being at a team like Madrid and the rewards are far greater than at a club where he will always be the main man, always be undroppable but likely not to be in a team challenging for honours like Madrid.

And then there was the money. And you may dismiss that but of course it comes into the equation.

It's a team game,.

Hindsight I'd great and you could say he could now be part of this Spurs team. But that's not how things work.

Once again, I can see no logic as to why he wouldn't have accepted the Real offer at the time.

He is also still when fit a first 11 player in one of the best assembled squads in decades.

I honestly dont know why people are talking about this at all. Sure Modric made the the exact same move. I dont think he has failed at Madrid at all and he starts every game hes fit for.
    Everything you say makes 100% sense, its not the NBA where stars stay on the small teams hoping to get lucky and find another star

irishman86 wrote: »
    Why would someone stay at Spurs when you could move to Real, its called ambition. Sure he could have stayed at Southampton and been a hero. Why did Suarez leave to Barcelona when he could have become a legend at Liverpool? Ambition to play for one of the top teams in the world.
    Southampton weren't winning anything, Spurs could well be back to back champions with him there. It was win-win for him in that sense though play for perhaps the biggest club in the world or try to push one of the biggest clubs in England to league titles and possibly even a go at the CL. My guess is that ambitions for his bank account were quite possibly the biggest driver, and if that was the case I'm not knocking him for it, more power to him actually - nothing wrong with getting the most you can in a profession that's over by your mid/late 30s.

Or you could call it taking the easy way to getting medals.

I don't blame any player for doing it but isn't it much more ambitious to try and win something with a smaller club as the main man than being a team player at a massive club who are going to win regardless of you being there or not.

It's not as if Spurs are a small club they are a genuine big club just a notch down from the super club level of Real Madrid,Bayern,Barca etc.

• Advertisement

Southampton weren't winning anything, Spurs could well be back to back champions with him there. It was win-win for him in that sense though play for perhaps the biggest club in the world or try to push one of the biggest clubs in England to league titles and possibly even a go at the CL. My guess is that ambitions for his bank account were quite possibly the biggest driver, and if that was the case I'm not knocking him for it, more power to him actually - nothing wrong with getting the most you can in a profession that's over by your mid/late 30s.

He left Spurs 3 or 4 years ago when the biggest things they'd achieved in the previous 20 years was qualification for the CL, once. At the time, that certainly didn't look like changing

"Could well be" Thats not a good enough reason for him to stay at Spurs, Ronaldo left United for Real and United are a lot bigger than Spurs. My guess he wanted to win the biggest trophies something he wasnt doing at Spurs. At real he has won the CL not once but twice and maybe a third. Spurs dont get out of the group stages. Money for me wasnt a factor for Bale, Spurs would have given him a mega contract.

I don't blame any player for doing it but isn't it much more ambitious to try and win something with a smaller club as the main man than being a team player at a massive club who are going to win regardless of you being there or not.

It's not as if Spurs are a small club they are a genuine big club just a notch down from the super club level of Real Madrid,Bayern,Barca etc.

No its not more ambitious, its delusional. Spurs werent his home team or the team he supported so he has no reason to stay with them. Spurs are more than a notch down from Real, they are a notch down from United, who themselves are a notch down from Real.
    As for easy way, before winning La Decima it had been 12 years since they were champions.
    He went to Madrid because he wanted to be a champion and had the ambition to take his talents to the biggest club in the world.
    If Real/Barca bid for Kane this summer, he would make the same decision.

Are we talking about the same Spurs here? Spurs that haven't won a league title in 50 years or something? Spurs that have only qualified for the CL twice? That have managed 2 league cups in the last 25 years? Spurs with no European pedigree, that haven't ever done anything in the CL?

Just a notch down from Real, Barca and Bayern yea? Clubs with 20 European cups between them, each of whom has won more of note in last 3 or 4 years than Spurs ever have, dominating Europe when Spurs weren't even coming close to qualifying

"Could well be" Thats not a good enough reason for him to stay at Spurs, Ronaldo left United for Real and United are a lot bigger than Spurs. My guess he wanted to win the biggest trophies something he wasnt doing at Spurs. At real he has won the CL not once but twice and maybe a third. Spurs dont get out of the group stages. Money for me wasnt a factor for Bale, Spurs would have given him a mega contract.
    Spurs have a policy of not paying anyone over £100,000 a week, (probably £60k or so after tax which, known to be very high for footballers in England). Gareth Bale earns £350,000 a week after tax.

Let's not pretend making 6-7 times as much money hasn't factored in to his decision to move to Spain.

I can't believe people think Bale made a bad/selfish/unambitious choice at the time (let alone now!) to move to Real.

Biggest load of nonsense I've heard in a while re transfers!

Spurs have a policy of not paying anyone over £100,000 a week, (probably £60k or so after tax which, known to be very high for footballers in England). Gareth Bale earns £350,000 a week after tax.

Let's not pretend making 6-7 times as much money hasn't factored in to his decision to move to Spain.

And your point....... Almost All "up the ladder" transfers involve higher wages! Never mind the fact he was one of the best footballing prospects when he moved.

Are you a Spurs fan? Is this fuelling this opinion?

• Advertisement

I can't believe people think Bale made a bad/selfish/unambitious choice at the time (let alone now!) to move to Real.

He's won the CL more times at Real than he even qualified for it at Spurs. Plus, Madrid isn't a bad city to live in either!

You don't seem to understand the argument.

I don't think anyone is saying he made a bad choice.They might argue that he would have turned out to be a better player at Spurs as he would have been the main man and not have to defer to Ronaldo.

The same argument could be made for a number of players.

Spurs have a policy of not paying anyone over ?100,000 a week, (probably ?60k or so after tax which, known to be very high for footballers in England). Gareth Bale earns ?350,000 a week after tax.

Lloris makes more than that. If you think Bale would stay at a club that wouldnt pay him what hes worth and then say he should have stayed at Spurs for the good of his career, I dont know how to argue with you as you dont understand how basic economics work

I don't think anyone is saying he made a bad choice.They might argue that he would have turned out to be a better player at Spurs as he would have been the main man and not have to defer to Ronaldo.

Maybe he could have got more injuries and regressed. Is Suarez a lesser player because hes not the main man at Barcelona?
    You could say hes more a team player now and a more rounded player

And your point....... Almost All "up the ladder" transfers involve higher wages! Never mind the fact he was one of the best footballing prospects when he moved.

I think my point was pretty clear... money was a motive for moving to Madrid. He is getting about 7 times the amount of money he would have been paid at Spurs. I kind of pointed that out multiple times already, which might have been a hint? :p

No, United fan. And like I said, there's nothing wrong with chasing the money when your career is over by your mid/late 30s. This idea that money doesn't come into it is just a little naive to be honest.

• Advertisement

Lloris makes more than that. If you think Bale would stay at a club that wouldnt pay him what hes worth and then say he should have stayed at Spurs for the good of his career, I dont know how to argue with you as you dont understand how basic economics work
    Sources on Lloris range from £80k-120k, meaning even if it is the £120k figure it would be about £65-70k after tax, so 20% of £350k a week after tax.

If 100 people were offered you five times what their salary in the same position, you'd struggle to find 1 or 2 who didn't accept. People seem to get it in their heads that it's wrong/dishonourable/selfish for a footballer to do that, couldn't disagree any more myself. Get what you can while you can, the window for earning big, big money is only 15 odd years at best.

I think my point was pretty clear... money was a motive for moving to Madrid. He is getting about 7 times the amount of money he would have been paid at Spurs. I kind of pointed that out multiple times already, which might have been a hint? :p

No, United fan. And like I said, there's nothing wrong with chasing the money when your career is over by your mid/late 30s. This idea that money doesn't come into it is just a little naive to be honest.

Of course money would have been part of the motivation? ! That's why a player is offered more money!

But that wasn't your whole initial point to be fair

I do understand the argument! People are questioning his ambition and questioning whether it was a less challenging or even stating was it a decision born from greed to join them because he would be more likely to win trophies at Real than at Spurs.

Of course money would have been part of the motivation? ! That's why a player is offered more money!

But that wasn't your whole initial point to be fair

It my main point from the offset, here's my first post on the matter:

Sources on Lloris range from ?80k-120k, meaning even if it is the ?120k figure it would be about ?65-70k after tax, so 20% of ?350k a week after tax.

If 100 people were offered you five times what their salary in the same position, you'd struggle to find 1 or 2 who didn't accept. People seem to get it in their heads that it's wrong/dishonourable/selfish for a footballer to do that, couldn't disagree any more myself. Get what you can while you can, the window for earning big, big money is only 15 odd years at best.

Where does it say after tax. Ronaldo is on 365 after tax, no way does Bale get paid 350 after tax. Going by Spanish tax laws hes more likely on 180k.
    You keep mentioning money like its the main calling card, but he would have got the same wage if not more at United who also wanted him.
    If Bale had stayed at Spurs he would have regretted it for the rest of his life, moving from a middle of the pack club to a mega club isnt a difficult decision in any way for any ambitious player

Where does it say after tax. Ronaldo is on 365 after tax, no way does Bale get paid 350 after tax. Going by Spanish tax laws hes more likely on 180k.
    You keep mentioning money like its the main calling card, but he would have got the same wage if not more at United who also wanted him.
    If Bale had stayed at Spurs he would have regretted it for the rest of his life, moving from a middle of the pack club to a mega club isnt a difficult decision in any way for any ambitious player

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/30/gareth-bale-real-madrid-new-contract-2022
    “Real Madrid and Gareth Bale have agreed to the extension of the player’s contract, which ties him to the club until June 30, 2022,” read a club statement.

Negotiations over an extension have been continuing for several months between Real and Bale’s representative, Jonathan Barnett, with an agreement reached a few weeks ago. It is understood the contract is worth more than £600,000 a week before tax with the buyout clause set at €1bn (£900m). It is believed to be one of the biggest in the history of the sport. That is the equivalent to around £350,000 a week after tax, more than the estimated £288,000 Real pay Cristiano Ronaldo. Negotiations over a new deal for the Portuguese have not yet been finalised.

I don't recall United having any bids accepted for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It would be funny to see some of those that hate Ronaldo lose their minds this year if he did win it - Messi is more deserving over the season, but they always weight it strongly to the latter stages of the CL and internationals (where Messi has gone and picked himself up a 4 game ban).

Agreed though, you never know but I doubt we'd see another like them for a good decade or so -at least- after, particularly in terms of keeping at the top so long unlike Brazilian Ronaldo or Ronaldinho who fell off for separate reasons. Won't stop the media trying to hype the bejaysus out of everyone as the 'new Ronaldo/Messi', mind! :pac:

He's been more deserving in 2 of the years that Ronaldo has already won it. Being more deserving doesn't make an ounce of difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If you wanna be one of the best you gotta play among the best. Staying at Spurs would have limited Bale's development. Spurs were utilising his biggest strengths and you can't blame them. At Real it was inevitable that he'd develop his all round game more.

That's before you get into considering better wages, prestigious trophies livelihoods. It's a no brainer decision from just about every angle. Only contest is London vs Madrid.

He's been more deserving in 2 of the years that Ronaldo has already won it. Being more deserving doesn't make an ounce of difference.

It's a nonsense award regardless. Should be scrapped, along with alll individual accolades in a team sport imo. What's important is titles and to end, it looks more likely to be Ronaldo's year

Turtwig wrote: »
    If you wanna be one of the best you gotta play among the best. Staying at Spurs would have limited Bale's development. Spurs were utilising his biggest strengths and you can't blame them. At Real it was inevitable that he'd develop his all round game more.

That's before you get into considering better wages, prestigious trophies livelihoods.

That's also a very good point, and more likely than someone else had put forward that he would his development may have been better served at Spurs.

• Advertisement

Sorry but you're not exactly a reliable source on this. :p

More or less every year it's been good as neck and neck with them (I think it was 2010 where Xavi deserved it more than either, in my opinion) but this would be a year where Messi certainly had the better season. Though like the other poster said, it's a bit of a nonsense award in it's own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Being sublimely brilliant consistently gets a little boring tbh.

Give me a troubled Riquelme type any day, far more likeable.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Being sublimely brilliant consistently gets a little boring tbh.

Give me a troubled Riquelme type any day, far more likeable.

Ronaldo talks about himself in the third person. I'd struggle to think of another character trait more appalling, disgusting or disturbed than that

Well thats wrong anyways, since the tax is 50% so it would be 300k
    United put a bigger bid in for him but the player only wanted Real like any other player in the world.

Ronaldo talks about himself in the third person. I'd struggle to think of another character trait more appalling, disgusting or disturbed than that

Very strong words for something that happens far more often in sports than you think, I wonder if he was black would there even be a eye blinked as it happens all the time in the states and nobody even notices

Exaggeration much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭klose

Looking forward to seeing Monaco again later, can't beat a team that's all out about attacking.

Well thats wrong anyways, since the tax is 50% so it would be 300k
    Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Spain
    €0	€12.450	19%
    €12.450	€20.200	24%
    €20.200	€35.200	30%
    €35.200	€60.000	37%
    €60.000 & Above	45%

Would work out about dead on €350k.

United put a bigger bid in for him but the player only wanted Real like any other player in the world.
    Any sources to back this up? Both the bigger bid and the reason being he only wanted to go to Madrid (as opposed to say, Spurs not wanting him playing for a Premier League rival)?

Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Spain
    ?0	?12.450	19%
    ?12.450	?20.200	24%
    ?20.200	?35.200	30%
    ?35.200	?60.000	37%
    ?60.000 & Above	45%

Would work out about dead on ?350k.

Any sources to back this up? Both the bigger bid and the reason being he only wanted to go to Madrid (as opposed to say, Spurs not wanting him playing for a Premier League rival)?

The bid was common knowledge, the word "Dream" gets used. A common fact most people have involved in football, a lot more than dream of playing for Spurs outside of North London
    Your argument is funny as well as wrong regarding it being money motivated, when Chelsea/City/United could all have offered him as much money if he showed any inclination to play for them alas he dreamed of Real

David Moyes
    I felt all along that Bale was a Manchester United player. I fought right until the last minute. We actually offered a bigger deal than Real Madrid.
    “But Gareth had his mind made up on going to Real Madrid. That was, in my mind, the player I really wanted to bring to Manchester United.”
    http://www.the42.ie/gareth-bale-manchester-united-1782775-Nov2014/

• Advertisement

The bid was common knowledge, the word "Dream" gets used. A common fact most people have involved in football, a lot more than dream of playing for Spurs outside of North London
    Your argument is funny as well as wrong regarding it being money motivated, when Chelsea/City/United could all have offered him as much money if he showed any inclination to play for them alas he dreamed of Real
    http://www.the42.ie/gareth-bale-manchester-united-1782775-Nov2014/

Still don't see anything to show Spurs accepting bids from other clubs for him. It was a massive, massive story at the time so shouldn't be too hard to find bids being accepted from the time of the transfer.

Talk of dream moves to back it up might as well be coming from Robbie Keane himself. :p

Very strong words for something that happens far more often in sports than you think, I wonder if he was black would there even be a eye blinked as it happens all the time in the states and nobody even notices

Aye, the racial prejudice faced by white male europeans is notorious

Still don't see anything to show Spurs accepting bids from other clubs for him. It was a massive, massive story at the time so shouldn't be too hard to find bids being accepted from the time of the transfer.

Talk of dream moves to back it up might as well be coming from Robbie Keane himself. :p

Oh God I give up, if you dont see Madrid as a dream move and didnt hear about United going after him, I dont know what else to say

Aye, the racial prejudice faced by white male europeans is notorious

Hahaha I know right, mostly western europe aswell that get it since no one gives a **** when Zlatan does it

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Exaggeration much?

Of course it's a massive exaggeration, but it's football related ergo acceptable. See hero, idol, saviour etc

Oh God I give up, if you dont see Madrid as a dream move and didnt hear about United going after him, I dont know what else to say

I heard about United going after him, don't remember hearing anything about bids accepted and haven't seen you provide any reliable sources saying as much either.

Never heard of a player describing a move to a new club as a 'dream movie' either, nor have I ever heard of Robbie Keane. ;)

• Advertisement

Dirty Dingus McGee thinks you're exaggerating a slight bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Juve to hold monaco at arm's length and strike via Dybala, 0-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya you would never hear Hitler talking in 3rd person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ya you would never hear Hitler talking in 3rd person

Ronaldo's kampf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

How different could Moyes' tenure have been if he had managed to sign Bale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement