Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I think we're looking at this year's CL Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Juvé playing this Monaco team like a fiddle now.

But don't forget Buffon's couple of saves early on. Still a beast.

Absolutely superb by Jim Beglin :D
    May the fourth be with you tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Absolutely superb by Jim Beglin :D

what did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Have always liked Italian football. They really study the game and are incredibly passionate about it. Would love to see Buffon lift the cup as there does not seem to be a sounder bloke in world football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Juvé are the absolite masters at the innocuous foul. The kind of foul that never gets you booked, but stops any momentum for the opponents before it starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Monaco are young guns, Juventus have been there done that and have a whole wardrobe of t-shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks like both 2nd legs are going to be non-events. Pity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I think we're looking at this year's CL Champions

Ignoring yesterdays dismantling of a better team off course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

what did he say?

"Bakayoko looks like Darth Vader out there - the force is not with him tonight.

Sorry George"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

That's Chiellini remembering Falcao pushing him into the advertising hoardings earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bot of dirt there from Chellini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

That's Chiellini remembering Falcao pushing him into the advertising hoardings earlier.

Keep your friends close....

irishman86 wrote: »
    Ignoring yesterdays dismantling of a better team off course
    They'll beat Real. They're exactly what's needed to take that lot down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

SlickRic wrote: »
    Juvé are the absolite masters at the innocuous foul. The kind of foul that never gets you booked, but stops any momentum for the opponents before it starts.

They make fouls look artistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wish someone would shut that fella up.

They'll beat Real. They're exactly what's needed to take that lot down.

I thought you were neutral :pac:
    Why will they beat Real, well besides the fact that lot need to be taken down

Juventus will beat Real if they can shackle Ronaldo.

Juventus will beat Real if they can shackle Ronaldo.

But sure that could be said in any game. I personally think they need to contain Isco, Modric and Kroos if they wish to beat Real. Cut of his supply line

You're hardly neutral yourself on this thread. I am a neutral as in I'm not a fan of any team in the CL this season bar Celtic. However I reckon Bayern were robbed against Real and that's why I don't want to see Real win this season.

In the Final Juventus probably won't let them score and they're capable of scoring themselves, that's how I think they'll win. Real will need further help from the officials to win.

• Advertisement

So much to admire about this juve side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They play just the right system to stop Real. Snuffing out creative through balls, stifling any momentum a team gets, and some real talent on the break to take full advantage of their opposition when the other team push on just that bit too much.

The only worry I have is Higuain being the human jinx in major finals over the past few years! (Though to be fair, that's only been internationally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Have always liked Italian football. They really study the game and are incredibly passionate about it. Would love to see Buffon lift the cup as there does not seem to be a sounder bloke in world football.
    Compare this attitude to the Anglo/Spanish lunacy of Man City when they played Monaco...
    Had no defence (as usual for them I suppose), and attacked like mad. No respect for the opposition, no homework done. Got what they deserved.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    They play just the right system to stop Real. Snuffing out creative through balls, stifling any momentum a team gets, and some real talent on the break to take full advantage of their opposition when the other team push on just that bit too much.

The only worry I have is Higuain being the human jinx in major finals over the past few years! (Though to be fair, that's only been internationally)

Higuain will also have a point to prove playing against his former club.

You're hardly neutral yourself on this thread. I am a neutral as in I'm not a fan of any team in the CL this season bar Celtic. However I reckon Bayern were robbed against Real and that's why I don't want to see Real win this season.

In the Final Juventus probably won't let them score and they're capable of scoring themselves, that's how I think they'll win. Real will need further help from the officials to win.

You cant be taken serious buddy when you say you are a neutral then slander a team. Thats the opposite of a neutral.
    Im sure every team want to stop Real from scoring how many actually succeed.

You cant be taken serious buddy when you say you are a neutral then slander a team. Thats the opposite of a neutral.

Isn't that pretty much exactly the point though? That Juventus are the best defensive team in the world right now?

Teams that are better at things than other teams, have a better chance of succeeding in those things than other teams..

Obviously the same thing could have been said of Barca - loads of teams tried to stop them from scoring but didn't succeed - while Juve beat them 3-0 over 180 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Most likely Real/Juve, going to be very interesting. With Ronaldo's last few games and their overall form there is going to be a touch of unstoppable force meets immovable object (only the unstoppable force often wants to be the immovable object). :pac:

Juventus have beaten this Real squad before over two legs so they won't fear them at all. Drew in Madrid and beat them in Turin.

Allegri was the coach too so they'll know the way Real play and how to stop them playing.

Ah Buffon, some man.

• Advertisement

I have no worry for Higuain, thats all over blown. Hes a superstar.
    For me Real are a counterattacking team, I dont see Juventus being able to get them on the break.
    If I was a betting man, I dont think there will be goals scored in open play.
    I think it will be a set piece.
    I think Real will win.
    Like most here though, I will be cheering on Buffon, I mean Juventus :D

About the same amount as succeeded in scoring on Juve from open play.

Personally I don't mind who wins the final if those two go through, should be a fun game and while I love an udnerdog story there's always a little 'extra' for whatever reason when two historical giants are involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Really need to see buffon win a CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Compare this attitude to the Anglo/Spanish lunacy of Man City when they played Monaco...
    Had no defence (as usual for them I suppose), and attacked like mad. No respect for the opposition, no homework done. Got what they deserved.

God, its a pity Man city couldn't use their vast funds to employ a top coach, maybe a master tactician or someone who has won loads of competitions before.

I have no worry for Higuain, thats all over blown. Hes a superstar.
    For me Real are a counterattacking team, I dont see Juventus being able to get them on the break.
    If I was a betting man, I dont think there will be goals scored in open play.
    I think it will be a set piece.
    I think Real will win.

Like most here though, I will be cheering on Buffon, I mean Juventus :D

It's set up for a Sergio Ramos header, isn't it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Men against boys. Masterful performance from Juve.

• Advertisement

Isn't that pretty much exactly the point though? That Juventus are the best defensive team in the world right now?

Teams that are better at things than other teams, have a better chance of succeeding in those things than other teams..

Obviously the same thing could have been said of Barca - loads of teams tried to stop them from scoring but didn't succeed - while Juve beat them 3-0 over 180 minutes.
    Juventus have had the best defence for the last ten years, they still failed to win the CL
    Juventus have beaten this Real squad before over two legs so they won't fear them at all. Drew in Madrid and beat them in Turin.

Allegri was the coach too so they'll know the way Real play and how to stop them playing.

But Zidane wasnt the coach then and this is a one of game, I wouldnt be surprised for penalties or a set piece goal

Could very much go either way, but this Madrid side don't really play like Ancelotti's side did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

It's set up for a Sergio Ramos header, isn't it.....

Against these magnificent bastards ? Doubtful.

531376040.jpg?w=748&h=498&crop=1

I'd love it for Buffon to win the CL.

You're not "neutral" at all, are you pal?

My view is that Real have had the benefit of a host of decisions in the CL thus far this year.

Regardless Real will need more than favourable "decisions" to beat this Juve side.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Men against boys. Masterful performance from Juve.

Absolutely head and shoulders the best team in the competition this year so far.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    God, its a pity Man city couldn't use their vast funds to employ a top coach, maybe a master tactician or someone who has won loads of competitions before.

Yes...they should have hired Ancelotti, Allegri or Conte.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Against Chiellini and Bonucci ? Doubtful.

He managed against Godin and Miranda.

Juventus have had the best defence for the last ten years, they still failed to win the CL

But Zidane wasnt the coach then and this is a one of game, I wouldnt be surprised for penalties or a set piece goal

And now they have one of the best attacks to go with it. They keep clean sheets, and score plenty of goals.

Real, meanwhile, score goals, but very much don't keep clean sheets. One of the worst records of keeping a clean sheet in Spain this year - i think they've managed something like 7 or 8 in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If juve win it who gets the balon d'or? A defensive player with that record?

No but Ancelotti was. And he's a much better coach than Zidane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Allegri has done a great job there, a lot of changes made from the last final they made the constant is the defence.
    Harder now to believe Milan sacked him for not being able to perform more miracles than jesus :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Jelle1880 wrote:

Has he never won it? Jesus.

You're not "neutral" at all, are you pal?

My view is that Real have had the benefit of a host of decisions in the CL thus far this year.

Regardless Real will need more than favourable "decisions" to beat this Juve side.

Sure buddy, btw I am neutral, couldnt give a toss who won it, infact like many other Id live Buffon to win it while he plays, why not now.
    I find you pretending to a neutral hilarious though you mention "decisions" but never once have commented on Barcelonas "decisions" in a negative light.
    Im here to watch enjoyable football and yes I cheered Real on against Bayern every French man does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If juve win it who gets the balon d'or? A defensive player with that record?

Messi or Ronaldo would have to be imprisoned not to win it, unfortunately. As long as they're around, nobody else has a chance it seems, which is dead wrong.

Lahm should've won it in 2014 and if he can't win it with the year he had, no defensive player ever will again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The RTE lads constantly do Juventus a disservice. Yes they defend well but the image they peddle of a workmanlike and rugged team is way off the mark. Juve scored two brilliant goals this evening and at times played some wonderful football. They're a brilliant all round side.

If Barcelona scored those two goals this evening you wouldn't be able to shut them up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement