Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

martyos121 wrote: »
    Saturday, June 3rd.

I've got some weird man love going on right now.
    Your posts continue to be excellent and informative.
    Man Utd - Boards crush big time. If only you didn't support pool...sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Should be a cracking final, I'm backing juve because even the best side I've ever seen couldn't retain the champions league, although in hindsight that was probably due to mismanagement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I've got some weird man love going on right now.
    Your posts continue to be excellent and informative.
    Man Utd - Boards crush big time. If only you didn't support pool...sigh

Plus he gave me the good news its the weekend after the young lad football season will finish .....not that I'm bothered.........
    COME ON MY SONNN :pac:

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Should be a cracking final, I'm backing juve because even the best side I've ever seen couldn't retain the champions league, although in hindsight that was probably due to mismanagement.

Honestly think Juve are in better shape this time round

But Reals squad is fierce. And the fact Ronaldo is on fire again yet again

Exciting final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Selling Pogba for 89m & buying Pjanic for 32m was brillant business from Juve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Juve and the coach deserve so much credit for how they have pushed on the last couple of years. They look the finished article now.

Some great signings, all the players seem to fit so well into the team ethic. Getting shot of Pogba for so much was great business, and Pjanic looks a better replacement. Dani Alves looks like signing of the season.

And last night again showed that the media are always wrong when they concentrate so much on the defence. Yes, we all know its good, but not enough credit is given to the attacking side of the team, they are great to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Juve paid 90 million for Higuain. A good buy and has clearly been integral but at 29, not for that price. So it's a bit rich to laud them on their transfer market nuance when getting digs in about Pogba'so price who will be a far better long term signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Juve paid 90 million for Higuain. A good buy and has clearly been integral but at 29, not for that price. So it's a bit rich to laud them on their transfer market nuance when getting digs in about Pogba'so price who will be a far better long term signing.
    That's all opinion based. If they win the UCL and Higuain has obviously been pivotal to that, I'm sure they would consider a brilliant transfer coup. Winning the EL doesn't have the same charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Higuain has scored 32 goals this season .
    They way overpaid but he has played a huge part in getting them to the CL final with his 2 goals vs Monaco.

They have always done great business over the years getting Pirlo,Tevez(9m),Khedira,Barzagli(2m),Evra(1.7m),Dani Alves,Llorente,Coman & Pogba for a combined 13m.

It is incredible business.

Vidal also only cost 10m & was sold for 37m.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Higuain was bought to give them a push in Europe. I'm sure they wish he scored more goals in the knockouts but the ones against Monaco were important.
    I'm pretty sure they see him & Alves aren't long term investments but they clearly are stronger than this time last year. If they win the tournament they won't really give a flying f*ck about anyone's opinion on their investment on those 2.

• Advertisement

Not my point. My point is Pogba is perennially brought into the equation when highlighting the savviness of June in the transfer market. Pogba will recoup a lot of that money on jerseys/merchandise alone and is a fantastic player to boot.

Essentialy you can say United needed Pogba more than Juve needed a 90 million 29 year old.
    So take each transfer on their own merits.

That isn't any way a sleight at or taking away from Juve''s transfer policy. Nor is it defending United's desperate policy at times over the last 4 years. But it's more defending the Pogba move. Getting 90/100 million for Pogba and then spending it on Higuain? Just as extortionate.

Anyway I'm derailing the thread with talks of non Champ League players! Hopefully they will be worthy inclusions next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Buying Higuain also deprived their rivals last year of their top scorer, a classic tactic employed by the powerhouses in the every league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Buying Higuain also deprived their rivals last year of their top scorer, a classic tactic employed by the powerhouses in the every league.

And despite them doing that Napoli haven't really missed him, they've scored 1 goal less so far this season than they did in the whole of last season and they have 3 more games to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

True, I hadn't looked at the stats so my point isn't really relevant in the end.

In my head, Napoli pushed Juve a lot further last year than they or Roma have this year and I reckon Juve's healthy lead has helped them in their CL run but the stats don't really reflect that so it's more my opinion than anything else.

It goes without saying...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

People with short term memories do this a lot. Next season it will be the same folks talking about how Pogba is the best midfielder in the world.
    The dig about Higuain winning the CL and Pogba only having a chance to win EL is hilarious. How can you judge Pogba for not winning the CL when they arent in it

Dunphy on Atletico: They're not jinxed as much as Mayo
    :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

And despite them doing that Napoli haven't really missed him, they've scored 1 goal less so far this season than they did in the whole of last season and they have 3 more games to play.

Could have been more if not for a injury to Milik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Would love to see Atletico do it.

Really don't want real to win it again.

Apart fRom ronaldo (very divided) none of their players are lovable.

Atletico and juve have many examples of players id love to see lift the trophy.

I feel if real make the final theyll win

Here we go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Brilliant! Great header from Saul!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Athletico one up after 11mins. Game on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Penalty :eek:

Penalty Athletico!!!

well well well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Wow peno

Pen! Holy **** what a start from Atleti!

Oh me oh my...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Ohhhh

2-0 Greizman with the penalty. 15mins gone!

Madrid doing their best to make it interesting. Woeful start from them. Griezmann takes the chance, just but it's a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

oh wow wow wow wow

this is going to be epic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hang on, this wasn't in the UEFA script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Really bad penalty, very lucky.

• Advertisement

Juventus loving this as is everyone else, 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Soft peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Griezmann lucky that Navas was so shít there

Funny how the card waving is ignored on here when it suits..

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Juventus loving this as is everyone else, 2-0.

Reckon Juve would rather face Real to be honest. Atleti V Juve would be a bit of a stalemate, whereas Real will provide openings for Juve to cut through on the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

This game has all the shapings of a classic but an away goal effectively ends the tie.

That was a terrible peno and even worse goalkeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Your team wins a pen. What is your first reaction.

A) Wish the taker good luck
    B) Beg for a red card
    C) Complain about something irrelevant that happened the other end of the pitch.

Well Gabi is B and Godin is C.... Spanish football is embarrassing in that way. So much diving and whining.

thelad95 wrote: »
    This game has all the shapings of a classic but an away goal effectively ends the tie.

Be interesting to see how Real approach it... will they sit back and try to just keep their lead, or will they push forward, risk conceding again, but trust in themselves to get that massive away goal?

I think the latter is the way to go, but it takes some nerve..

Rossi IRL wrote: »

B) Beg for a red card
    C) Complain about something irrelevant that happened the other end of the pitch.

Well Gabi is B and Godin is C.... Spanish football is embarrassing in that way. So much diving and whining.

It's not exclusive to Spain. Conte was waving for cards on Monday against Boro ffs.

A lot of moaning all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

ERG89 wrote: »
    It's not exclusive to Spain. Conte was waving for cards on Monday against Boro ffs.

Yep its not exclusive to Spain but it does happen an awful amount there

Isco is a big (bearded) girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great start, but real will score tonight so it's all irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Rossi IRL wrote: »

B) Beg for a red card

Wish the penalty taker luck? What sort of pansy nonsense is that. "Hey Anto man, good luck up there buddy, strike it home old chap". Get in the bin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement