Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Turtwig wrote: »
    Rte saying Barca are struggling. They played excellently against Atletico and their domestic game losses came with a heavily rotated squad. Can't really suggest they're struggling.

At least they aren't dying, Italian football has been for a decade so I wonder how it's still clinging onto life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Did you expect otherwise? It's a far bigger game.

I kind of did on the basis of it perhaps having a greater deal of Irish interest, despite not being as big a game.

Still, not a bad game to be stuck watching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

That's a horrible away kit, like a depressed rainbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Classy goal from Sanchez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I kind of did on the basis of it perhaps having a greater deal of Irish interest, despite not being as big a game.

Not sure why it would have a greater deal of Irish interest?

I'm sure most would rather watch a game for top spot, with Pep going back to the Camp Nou, rather than a game for the Europa League...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Awful defending by City.

The gaucho does it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Messi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Comical defending
    This could be embareassing

SantryRed wrote: »
    Not sure why it would have a greater deal of Irish interest?

I'm sure most would rather watch a game for top spot, with Pep going back to the Camp Nou, rather than a game for the Europa League...

Just on the basis of Celtic having a decent following in Ireland, irrespective of City and Barca being the favourites to qualify.

Personally cgaf about the Guadiola narrative, not sure why many would. Definitely a game I'm excited to see though, should be a cracker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Rte feed looks like upscaled SD, it's dreadful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I would assume most soccer fans in Ireland are far more interested in two of the best teams in Europe these days than Celtic, regardless of the Green and White Stripes . Would be bizare not to show this game

Mathieu coming on to shore up the city attack.

No flow to this game. Too many fouls interrupting play.

Didn't realise Gary Doherty was on the bench for Barca!

You don't have to be French to be a Barcelona defender, but it helps.

I would assume most soccer fans in Ireland are far more interested in two of the best teams in Europe these days than Celtic, regardless of the Green and White Stripes . Would be bizare not to show this game

I just mean on the basis of Celtic having a decent sized Irish following that would be interested. Obviously there's huge interest in Barca/City on account of their quality

Meh, I'll tune back in when the knockout games start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

There's something in this game for City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

City should have had a pelanty there I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Barca not having much of a defence will be the undoing in the second half, two defensive injuries to the likes of Pique and Alba is not easy to deal with.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I just mean on the basis of Celtic having a decent sized Irish following that would be interested. Obviously there's huge interest in Barca/City on account of their quality

tbh, I don't think there is much Celtic following anymore compared to yester year.
    The Scottish league has depreciated to nothing, the Old Firm took a back burner for almost half a decade or so, they haven't exactly lit up Europe in a long time (bar that 3-3 draw 3 weeks ago) and they don't attract the quality of players like the Laarsons.

Since the PL started attracting the best players in the world last 7 years or so, there is diminishing interest in Celtic.

Celtic jerseys were all the rage up to a decade ago but you rarely see them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

tbh, I don't think there is much Celtic following anymore compared to yester year.
    The Scottish league has depreciated to nothing, the Old Firm took a back burner for almost half a decade or so, they haven't exactly lit up Europe in a long time (bar that 3-3 draw 3 weeks ago) and they don't attract the quality of players like the Laarsons.

Since the PL started attracting the best players in the world last 7 years or so, there is diminishing interest in Celtic.

Celtic jerseys were all the rage up to a decade ago but you rarely see them anymore.

Really?? While I agree with everything else in your post surely the standard in the prem has dropped over the last few years too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RoryMac wrote: »
    Really?? While I agree with everything else in your post surely the standard in the prem has dropped over the last few years too

Ibra! :D

RoryMac wrote: »

Quality, marketing and "notoriety" of players they attract far greater since the Abramovich era kicked off. Teams are down a level though but that doesn't mean the league is far more attractive to viewers.

lol Bravo.

I love seeing Bravo fail!!

What an 1diot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Joe Hart must have a big smile on his face right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Was Joe Hart worse than this clown?

• Advertisement

Joe Hart is smiling somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's feckin' hilarious! Just put your boot through it you gombeen

Mars Bar wrote: »
    That's feckin' hilarious! Just put your boot through it you gombeen

Nah, that's far too simple to be doing, you must make goalkeeping more complicated than it needs to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

He headed it ref!!

Haha that's brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Bravo has been nothing short of a disaster since joining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

You kinda knew that the goalie situation would come back and bite him in the arse. The football gods have a cruel sense of humour.

• Advertisement

Could still be a "Suarez Ghana" moment that! City still not out of this and have to go for it.

2-0 Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Could still be a "Suarez Ghana" moment that! City still not out of this and have to go for it.

Nah game over now

This is brilliant. 3-0. Messi hat trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That's just shocking from city :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Getting embarrassing now. Hat trick Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Nice to see City being torn apart. They have had a difficult few weeks.

We will learn a lot about Guardiola this season.

Messi hasn't even been that good tonight and he's still ended up with a hat trick.

Getting embarrassing now. Hat trick Messi

I don't think any team can really be embarrassed by Messi scoring a hat-trick against them in fairness.

Pretty sure Dunphy's last words before Ko were to the effect of "Messi's in decline, so probably a hatrick for him tonight"

Sterling's one of the few involved with City that comes out of this game with credit.

Pretty sure Dunphy's last words before Ko were to the effect of "Messi's in decline, so probably a hatrick for him tonight"

I think he said Barcelona and their system of producing players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I wouldn't have Stones anywhere near a backfour. Stick him in midfield if you're that enamoured by his composure on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Dunphy's view at half time was that Messi is in decline!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Pity Bravo's lunacy ruined what could have been a good contest. Chapeau to Messi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement