Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

SlickRic wrote: »
    City are still mentally quite weak. them.

They just had no HeART or AGREUssion : )

I'll get my coat.........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

People say the Spanish league isnt great. Throw barca and real in the PL and they would run amok in that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Slattsy wrote: »
    Stones is stealing a living, a complete fraud.

That joke wasnt funny the first time.

Ozil doesn't get enough of praise. He's on fire.
    Damn you Arsenal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The panel hopped off Pep didn't they

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Slattsy wrote: »
    Stones is stealing a living, a complete fraud.

Yes. More overhyped Everton tosh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

City's biggest UCL deafeat was only by two goals. And now it's 4-0 with Josep Sala Guardiola in charge. He continues to show how overrated he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

tbh, I don't think there is much Celtic following anymore compared to yester year.
    The Scottish league has depreciated to nothing, the Old Firm took a back burner for almost half a decade or so, they haven't exactly lit up Europe in a long time (bar that 3-3 draw 3 weeks ago) and they don't attract the quality of players like the Laarsons.

Since the PL started attracting the best players in the world last 7 years or so, there is diminishing interest in Celtic.

Celtic jerseys were all the rage up to a decade ago but you rarely see them anymore.
    I think you are wrong. I think there still are a lot of Celtic fans. It's just that they don't go around parading it as much because they aren't doing so well in Europe and there hasn't been the old firm for quite some time.

I know a lot of Celtic fans who will only talk about them when you ask them these days whereas back eight or ten years ago they would talk about them all the time.

It's the same with all clubs really. You don't hear as much from any club who is not doing as well as they were in the past until they come back to the top, that is outside of the mammoth clubs of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Barca not as good as 2 years ago but still light years ahead of anything the premier league has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

This "disrespecting the game" guff being served up by the dunphster is deliciously cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think you are wrong. I think there still are a lot of Celtic fans. It's just that they don't go around parading it as much because they aren't doing so well in Europe and there hasn't been the old firm for quite some time.

I know a lot of Celtic fans who will only talk about them when you ask them these days whereas back eight or ten years ago they would talk about them all the time.

It's the same with all clubs really. You don't hear as much from any club who is not doing as well as they were in the past until they come back to the top, that is outside of the mammoth clubs of course.

That's because general interest in the SPL has fallen off a cliff.It's a poor league in general these days and you won't find too many more Irish people who started supporting Celtic in the last 10 will start supporting them in the future.

eagle eye wrote: »

nah, Celtic interest in Ireland has definitely declined the last few years. That doesn't mean there aren't Celtic fans, just that they aren't as much a force of interest at all for young fans.

Plenty of Irish based fans used to hit Scotland at weekends in the past and you won't hear of many anymore. And of course, jerseys on kids is a reflection of support.

rob316 wrote: »
    Barca not as good as 2 years ago but still light years ahead of anything the premier league has to offer.
    Thing with Barca though is that they were all about bringing through their own players but they seemed to have stopped that now.

Munir can hardly get a game and he would already be a huge name if they put him in the team like they did with their special youngsters ten years ago. I think they have had one player come through since Busquets and Pedro who has got the opportunity as a regular starter and that is Sergi Roberto.

They are all about buying the best now. You seen it there tonight with Alba going off and in comes €17 million Lucas Digne and then Pique gets replace by €20 million Mathieu. They have Turan who would be playing in every other side in world football sitting on the bench along with Paco Alcacer and Andres Gomes.

They had tfour players who came through the youth ranks to the senior team playing tonight in Messi, Pique, Busquets and Iniesta. They'll try and claim Alba as one but he left Barcelona to make a name for himself while still a kid and came back five years later as a Spanish international who'd been on the team that won the Euros in 2012.

Their bench tonight cost them over €130 million and that is not including any addons that they might have to pay yet.

I loved watching that team that Pep had and there was a bit of romance to it with all the players that had come through the ranks but this team is not like that, they are a great team no doubt but it's just like the Real Madrid team or the Bayern Munich team now where it's all about being a huge club who can just buy up every great player they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Results
    Group A

Arsenal (ENG) 6 V 0 Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL)
    Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 3 V 0 Basel (SUI)

Group A PL W D L F A GD Pts
    Arsenal (ENG) 3 2 1 0 9 1 8 7
    Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 3 2 1 0 7 2 5 7
    Basel (SUI) 3 0 1 2 1 6 -5 1
    Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL) 3 0 1 2 2 10 -8 1

Group B
    Napoli (ITA) 2 V 3 Beşiktaş (TUR)
    Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) 0 V 2 SL Benfica (POR)

Group B PL W D L F A GD Pts
    Napoli (ITA) 3 2 0 1 8 6 2 6
    Beşiktaş (TUR) 3 1 2 0 5 4 1 5
    SL Benfica (POR) 3 1 1 1 5 5 0 4
    Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) 3 0 1 2 2 5 -3 1

Group C
    Celtic (SCO) 0 V 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER)
    FC Barcelona (ESP) 4 V 0 Manchester City (ENG)

Group C PL W D L F A GD Pts
    FC Barcelona (ESP) 3 3 0 0 13 1 12 9
    Manchester City (ENG) 3 1 1 1 7 7 0 4
    Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER) 3 1 0 2 3 6 -3 3
    Celtic (SCO) 3 0 1 2 3 12 -9 1

Group D
    Rostov (RUS) 0 V 1 Atlético Madrid (ESP)
    FC Bayern München (GER) 4 V 1 PSV Eindhoven (NED)

Group D PL W D L F A GD Pts
    Atlético Madrid (ESP) 3 3 0 0 3 0 3 9
    FC Bayern München (GER) 3 2 0 1 9 2 7 6
    PSV Eindhoven (NED) 3 0 1 2 3 7 -4 1
    Rostov (RUS) 3 0 1 2 2 8 -6 1

Group E
    CSKA Moskva (RUS) 1 V 1 Monaco (FRA)
    Bayer Leverkusen (GER) 0 V 0 Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)

Group E PL W D L F A GD Pts
    Bayer Leverkusen (GER) 3 1 2 0 3 2 1 5
    Monaco (FRA) 3 1 2 0 4 3 1 5
    Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) 3 1 1 1 2 2 0 4
    CSKA Moskva (RUS) 3 0 2 1 3 4 -1 2

Group F
    Sporting CP (POR) 1 V 2 Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    Real Madrid (ESP) 5 V 1 Legia Warszawa (POL)

Group F PL W D L F A GD Pts
    Real Madrid (ESP) 3 2 1 0 9 4 5 7
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) 3 2 1 0 10 3 7 7
    Sporting CP (POR) 3 1 0 2 4 4 0 3
    Legia Warszawa (POL) 3 0 0 3 1 13 -12 0

Group G
    Leicester City (ENG) 1 V 0 FC København (DEN)
    Club Brugge (BEL) 1 V 2 Porto (POR)

Group G PL W D L F A GD Pts
    Leicester City (ENG) 3 3 0 0 5 0 5 9
    FC København (DEN) 3 1 1 1 5 2 3 4
    Porto (POR) 3 1 1 1 3 3 0 4
    Club Brugge (BEL) 3 0 0 3 1 9 -8 0

Group H
    GNK Dinamo (CRO) 0 V 1 Sevilla (ESP)
    Lyon (FRA) 0 V 1 Juventus (ITA)

Group H PL W D L F A GD Pts
    Sevilla (ESP) 3 2 1 0 2 0 2 7
    Juventus (ITA) 3 2 1 0 5 0 5 7
    Lyon (FRA) 3 1 0 2 3 2 1 3
    GNK Dinamo (CRO) 3 0 0 3 0 8 -8 0

nah, Celtic interest in Ireland has definitely declined the last few years. That doesn't mean there aren't Celtic fans, just that they aren't as much a force of interest at all for young fans.

Plenty of Irish based fans used to hit Scotland at weekends in the past
    and you won't hear of many anymore. And of course, jerseys on kids is a reflection of support.
    The Celtic Tiger enabled that.

Dirt by Cavani for that penalty, 2 up and still feels the need to go down like a ton of bricks in the 93rd minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Dunphy spoofing for Ireland on RTE.

Athletico Madrid baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,307 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Alonso77 wrote: »
    This "disrespecting the game" guff being served up by the dunphster is deliciously cringe.

He is really coming out with some crazy stuff tonight.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he has been drinking.

Arghus wrote: »
    Dunphy spoofing for Ireland on RTE.

Athletico Madrid baby.

not far off at all with that Atletico shout to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

not far off at all with that Atletico shout to be fair.

Ah yeah, but it was one of those fortunate moments when his spoofing and reality happened to coincide.

Arghus wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but it was one of those fortunate moments when his spoofing and reality happened to coincide.

ha, thats one way to look at it!! Keep waffling and by the law of averages something will make sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I was really hoping Darragh Maloney was going to say, coming up next on RTE2 is Pixies Sex Clinic, from all of us here, goodnight. It would have been funny. :pac:

(It is the next advertised show due on btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

4 groups (ADFH) are more or less decided already after 3 matches if you take in mind the results of the last 2 nights. Matchday 4 is the reverse of the same fixtures. The group stages are getting more boring by the year.

inforfun wrote: »
    4 groups (ADFH) are more or less decided already after 3 matches if you take in mind the results of the last 2 nights. Matchday 4 is the reverse of the same fixtures. The group stages are getting more boring by the year.

They have to be kept though for financial reasons for the clubs from the smaller countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Was just thinking the same last week. I think the group stage of the competition has been devalued by the presence of some mediocre teams.

I only really get interested once it gets to the knockout stages.

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote: »
    Was just thinking the same last week. I think the group stage of the competition has been devalued hugely by the presence of a lot of mediocre teams.

The UEFA is going to give you what you want by giving the "big" 4 4 starting places for the group stages.
    So that is 16 of the 32 for them. Add the EL winner, most likely Sevilla :D (or any other Spanish team) to that and you have only 15 places left for "mediocre" teams.

That will be the next nail in the coffin of European cup football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

The UEFA is going to give you what you want by giving the "big" 4 4 starting places for the group stages.
    So that is 16 of the 32 for them. Add the EL winner, most likely Sevilla :D (or any other Spanish team) to that and you have only 15 places left for "mediocre" teams.

Who makes up the big 4 - spain, England, Germany and who else? Italy ?

Who makes up the big 4 - spain, England, Germany and who else? Italy ?

Yep, the same Italy that couldnt get their teams through the qualifiers in 6 of the last 7 attempts.
    But Italy was closing in on England for 3rd spot in the UEFA rankings and if they go past them, England will lose a CL spot.
    And since we cant have that of course, they came with this solution.
    Gap from no 5 in the list to no4 is enormous so those 4 will be safe.

So people saying the group games are for the smaller countries..... Nah... it is all bout the "big" 4

Was just thinking the same last week. I think the group stage of the competition has been devalued hugely by the presence of a lot of mediocre teams.

Isn't the Europe League place at the cost of a place in the CL. ie say United win it and come 5th behind Liverpool, (4th) in the league, Liverpool miss out on their place?
    Or has it changed.
    Also what happens WHEN Leicester win the CL and finish 6th, Does that come at the expense of one of the top 4 positions?

Potentially a country could have 6 places or am I right in thinking max is 4 regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Isn't the Europe League place at the cost of a place in the CL. ie say United win it and come 5th behind Liverpool, (4th) in the league, Liverpool miss out on their place?
    Or has it changed.

Spain had 5 teams this year with Sevilla winning the Europa league. Villareal just lost vs. Monaco in the qualifiers.

I would assume a country could have 6 places then, if teams outside the top 4 won both the CL and EL.

• Advertisement

Or has it changed.
    Also what happens WHEN Leicester win the CL and finish 6th, Does that come at the expense of one of the top 4 positions?

Potentially a country could have 6 places or am I right in thinking max is 4 regardless?

Max is 5 but only if the Champions League winners also qualify via their league position. Spain got 5 because Real won the Champions League but also qualified via the league so the Champions League winners spot was no used and the Europa League spot got promoted from the play off to the group stage allowing Sevilla into the groups.

If Man Utd and Leicester both win and finish outside the top 4 then Leicester will go back into the group stage and Man Utd into the play offs and 3rd & 4th will miss out under current rules.

elefant wrote: »
    Spain had 5 teams this year with Sevilla winning the Europa league. Villareal just lost vs. Monaco in the qualifiers.

I would assume a country could have 6 places then, if teams outside the top 4 won both the CL and EL.

Wasn't sure, I think they changed the Champ League winners situation post 2012 after the Chelsea win robbed Spurs of their place, didn't they?

Although England had 5 places in 2005 2006, albeit Everton didnt makeit out of the qualification phase.

They must have gone back and forth on the ruling a few times.

Forgot about Villareal's exit. They did very well both times they made the group phases. Diego Forlan, Rossi and Pellegrini

Max is 5 but only if the Champions League winners also qualify via their league position. Spain got 5 because Real won the Champions League but also qualified via the league so the Champions League winners spot was no used and the Europa League spot got promoted from the play off to the group stage allowing Sevilla into the groups.

If Man Utd and Leicester both win and finish outside the top 4 then Leicester will go back into the group stage and Man Utd into the play offs and 3rd & 4th will miss out under current rules.

would it not just be "4th " that misses out in that situation? Given England 5 places?

Wasn't sure, I think they changed the Champ League winners situation post 2012 after the Chelsea win robbed Spurs of their place, didn't they?

Although England had 5 places in 2005 2006, albeit Everton didnt makeit out of the qualification phase.

They must have gone back and forth on the ruling a few times.

Forgot about Villareal's exit. They did very well both times they made the group phases. Diego Forlan, Rossi and Pellegrini

Nope that happened with Spurs was always the rule as it happened before the Liverpool situation.

Real won it on 2000 and finished 5th outside the qualification via the league but they were in the 2000-01 Champions League group stage

English FA did not have the balls to let Liverpool in at the expense of Everton so UEFA had to change about qualification and have Liverpool start in the 1st round.

would it not just be "4th " that misses out in that situation? Given England 5 places?

Nope to have the 5th team the Champions League winners also need to have qualified via their league position so the Champions League winners spot is not used.

Nope to have the 5th team the Champions League winners also need to have qualified via their league position so the Champions League winners spot is not used.

ha, fair enough!

So if Leicester finish in top 3 and win CL and United finish 6th but win Europa League, England will have 5 places, yeah?

ha, fair enough!

So if Leicester finish in top 3 and win CL and United finish 6th but win Europa League, England will have 5 places, yeah?

Yea as the Europa League winners take the unused Champions League winners spot and Top 3 go into the group stage and 4th will be in the play off just like Spain this season

Really does do your head in this sh1te. UEFA are a joke.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37720274

What next, the Euros being held on Mars??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

So sad that all football decisions are all being down to bleeding as much money outta every possible thing...

Myself and the oh are probably going to London in march. And I said I'd like to go to a game. She said who arsenal, Chelsea...my response was nah maybe Leyton Orient or welling united, lower league football is always better value imo

Nah, after today's news around the apparent failure of the European Space agency's Mars Probe I think that idea has been put off for a while.

• Advertisement

Nah, after today's news around the apparent failure of the European Space agency's Mars Probe I think that idea has been put off for a while.

You underestimate the arrogance of of UEFA and FIFA.
    After all they do think a WC in Qatar will work. We saw last week how well the world championships cycling went And those are guys who go up the mountains in July in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Isn't it really the ECA that are behind all this, uefa are just scared of them leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I believe a shortlist of venues have been mooted, and UEFA have been most impressed by the following:

Vatican City
    Lapland
    Ballyfermot
    The Lost City Of Atlantas
    Area 51
    The Great Barrier Reef
    The Dead Sea
    Purgatory
    Nasa space station

You underestimate the arrogance of of UEFA and FIFA.
    After all they do think a WC in Qatar will work. We saw last week how well the world championships cycling went And those are guys who go up the mountains in July in France.

UEFA might not be perfect but they are nowhere near as big a problem as the big European clubs most of whom would happily jack in their national leagues and all the tradition and history that goes with for a European Super league. UEFA are living under constant fear of this breaking out and pretty much every decision they've made has been to try and keep these types of clubs happy.Just look at the bull**** of certain clubs asking for guaranteed places in the champions league and you see the kind of rubbish they have to put up with.

I say... let them go and have their "super league"

See how well they do playing some "league" in the desert together.
    See how popular those matches will be once the likes of Messi and Ronaldo are finished.
    I really couldnt give a flying 4-letter word.

But then again, i am fan of a club that still tries to be a club instead of a MNC.
    Any match they play, even if it is a 1st round cup match against Oss like a few weeks ago, will forever have me more interested than even a cl final between 2 of those "big clubs"

Playing Tuesday
    Group A

Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL) V Arsenal (ENG)
    Basel (SUI) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Group B
    Beşiktaş (TUR) V Napoli (ITA)
    SL Benfica (POR) V Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)

Group C
    Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER) V Celtic (SCO)
    Manchester City (ENG) V FC Barcelona (ESP)

Group D
    Atlético Madrid (ESP) V Rostov (RUS)
    PSV Eindhoven (NED) V FC Bayern München (GER)

Playing Wednesday
    Group E
    Monaco (FRA) V CSKA Moskva (RUS)
    Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) V Bayer Leverkusen (GER)

Group F
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) V Sporting CP (POR)
    Legia Warszawa (POL) V Real Madrid (ESP)

Group G
    FC København (DEN) V Leicester City (ENG)
    Porto (POR) V Club Brugge (BEL)

Group H
    Sevilla (ESP) V GNK Dinamo (CRO)
    Juventus (ITA) V Lyon (FRA)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Group B
    Beşiktaş (TUR) V Napoli (ITA)

This one's on @ 5:45pm. Anybody know if/where it's being shown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

didn't even know the CL was on this week, shows you how gripped I am by the group stages .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

city v barca on tv anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

city v barca on tv anywhere?

BT, RTE are showing Celtic.

Advertisement