Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Ffs. Surely even Celtic fans would rather watch City Barca than their own team getting beaten by some German team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Ffs. Surely even Celtic fans would rather watch City Barca than their own team getting beaten by some German team.

Nonsense

I would always choose to watch Zorya - Feyenoord over City - Barca. Always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I understand Celtic are very popular here and TV3 often have to make a commercially prudent decision, but it still seems a curious choice.
    Would the Celtic game attract many more viewers for them than MC v Barcelona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

They showed Barca v City in the reverse fixture, even with Celtic at home to Gladbach, so its strange that they've decided to go back to showing Celtic.

For the neutrals, the City v Barca game is clearly more appealing but theres a fair whack of Celtic fans in the country too that it caters for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I understand Celtic are very popular here and TV3 often have to make a commercially prudent decision, but it still seems a curious choice.
    Would the Celtic game attract many more viewers for them than MC v Barcelona?

Presumably yes. The champions league isn't all that popular a competition per se. Celtic are popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

GavRedKing wrote: »
    They showed Barca v City in the reverse fixture, even with Celtic at home to Gladbach, so its strange that they've decided to go back to showing Celtic.

That was Wednesday so it was RTE.

Jesus Bank holiday really screws me up. Forget the matches are even tonight!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

inforfun wrote: »
    Nonsense

I would always choose to watch Zorya - Feyenoord over City - Barca. Always.

Well yes, but you expect to bear Zorya ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This one's on @ 5:45pm. Anybody know if/where it's being shown?

All games will be on BT Sport with TV3 showing a game on Tuesday night along with Eir Sport and RTE on Wednesday night along with Eir Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It's not "some" German team it's "A" German team.

And to answer your question, No. Good call by TV3 I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If Celtic fans watching tonight outnumber neutrals watching tonight then TV3 have made the right choice, because I assume (those with access to football via other TV channels, Internet or pubs) neutrals will still be watching City vs Barca tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I know I'm biased (no point denying it!) but it's a strange decision by TV3, going by pure football factors. If you ask a bunch of football fans with no ties to any of the four sides which game they'd want to watch out of the two, I would hazard a guess that the majority would choose to watch the City/Barca game over the Celtic game. I guess TV3 are chasing the viewing figures. Mind you, the Celtic game may well end up more of a contest, unfortunately!
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

City barca all the way, stream ahoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fer petes sake City v Barca is the game of the night, Celtic? Even in Oireland most football fans would regard their game as 2nd choice.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    City barca all the way, stream ahoy.
    Streams are a waste of time down here in the sticks, with what laughingly passes for broadband (2mbps). Looks like good old BBC radio for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I for one can't wait to be streaming the City game only for my watsapp groups to be telling me there's a goal while I'm two minutes behind :pac:

Ridiculous decision

blueser wrote: »
    Streams are a waste of time down here in the sticks, with what laughingly passes for broadband (2mbps). Looks like good old BBC radio for me.

Do you have Freesat (and probably Sky) by any chance, 5live commentary of City/Barca is featured on the Red Button.

Kolarov and Zabba at FB frightens the shi'ites out of me. I've seen car ferries turning faster than them.

I for one can't wait to be streaming the City game only for my watsapp groups to be telling me there's a goal while I'm two minutes behind :pac:

Ridiculous decision

I treasure those moments.

Do you have Freesat (and probably Sky) by any chance, 5live commentary of City/Barca is featured on the Red Button.
    I have Sky and I've got 5 live tuned in to the "other channels" section. Means I can't watch the Celtic game (only the one TV set), but that game has precious little appeal for me anyway. Bloody TV3. On the plus side, no having to listen to Trevor Welch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Celtic's game will probably attract more viewers and that's all the stations care about. I will watch City vs Barca though. Team news:
    Man City XI vs. Barcelona: Caballero; Zabaleta, Stones, Otamendi, Kolarov; Fernandinho, Gundogan; Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling; Aguero.

Barcelona XI vs. Man City: Ter Stegen; Roberto, Mascherano, Umtiti, Digne; Busquets, Rakitic, Gomes; Messi, Neymar, Suarez.

Who Barcelona pick to replace Iniesta will have huge bearing on the shape of the City game. Gomes, Rafinha or Denis Suarez? I'd be thinking the former with a heavy focus on counter attacking and directness. Gomes may not be able to break City's press but himself and Rakitic are great at putting in a shift.

Edit: Looks like they've gone with Gomes. Counter attacking it is then. City should have most of the play.

Willy to make a blunder.

Noooo not Jonathan Pearce, ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

BTW bigging it up as a clash of 2 European Heavyweights...... LOL. On what planet are City European heavyweights?? FFS.

Argies surrounding the ref, never seen that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yellow all day long though, stupid refereeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Suarez owes city one. Hopefully he might help knock them out tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

WTF CLEAR CUT PENALTY !

• Advertisement

Peno ref eejit.

I thought that was a peno.

Sterling moved the ball, defender dived in and did not touch ball and landed his foot on Sterlings.
    WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

They would have missed it anyway. Not much going city's way.

Ref did not book for that foul on Sterling either.
    So corrupt .

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

It would have been missed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

If Sterling hadn't done the swan dive again he probably would have gotten the penalty. There was some contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Another bad decision in psv game. Absolute stone wall offside decision missed.

Lol arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

What kind of sick joke is it to not show City - Barcelona.

It makes my brain sad :(

Ludicrous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Its a yellow on Sterling.

Its a pen and no yellow for Sterling.

City have been robbed so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Is that Hargreaves commentating on the City game on BT?

He just said "maybe the ref didn't want to affect the flow of the game by giving a penalty."

That makes no sense.

That's Barca for you

Messi!

Great goal, the finish was world class in its execution .

Sumptuous, glorious goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Such a beautiful counterattack by Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Ridiculous counter attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Any mistake against them is punished immediately

Ref is giving city nothing !
    Foul on Siliva was so obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Sterling lucky not to pick up his 2nd yellow there for that foul on him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement