Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

niallo27 wrote: »
    To cash out or not. Got city at 6/1 when they went behind. They usually **** it up don't they
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Barca really looking off the pace this half though... could see city getting a third before long.

Hope you held firm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

There is really only Messi when you want to talk about greatest player of the last 20 years and there is only Barcelona when you talk greatest club of this century. Absolutely remarkable.

where is this guy gone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

City beating Barcelona's second string...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Nice penalty from dembele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Gundogan has been immense for City since he arrived. 20m was more than a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Celtic have equalized. Dembele from the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Another goal and I can start to relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

ziggyman17 wrote: »

?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

where is this guy gone!!!

Top scorer in CL, top scorer in La Liga, he's banging them in against REAL teams. That's where he is.

Horrendous keeping from psg. 1-1 and arsenal could get away with the draw in Bulgaria

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Delighted for Guardiola. Two fingers to the English press who can't accept there's more than one way to play football. He never gets the respect he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ziggyman17 wrote: »

Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Busquets, Rakatic etc all started...the only real players of consequence they're missing are Iniesta and Pique who are both injured...

Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Busquets, Rakatic etc all started...the only real players of consequence they're missing are Iniesta and Pique who are both injured...

Tbf Alba has been probably the best left back in the world for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

This ref is an awayer.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Delighted for Guardiola. Two fingers to the English press who can't accept there's more than one way to play football. He never gets the respect he deserves.

Ah stop, he has been hyperboled and treated like a messiah for almost a decade. No respect from the press my ar£e.

The truth is he is a very good manager but he inherited 2 unbelievable teams and has been just about average at City thus far. Who knows how well he will ultimately will progress this City team but I think the last month and a half he has deserved a lot of the criticism

Horrendous keeping from psg. 1-1 and arsenal could get away with the draw in Bulgaria

Surprising. Areola's been pretty much flawless since he became PSG's number one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

GreNoLi wrote: »
    This ref is an awayer.
    Not watching it (thanks TV3) but, from what I've been reading online and getting off 5 live, he's been atrocious.

Absolute class from ozil

Bit unfair to say he's been average at City. Hit the ground running playing some of the best football possible with a fresh squad. A minor bump in recent weeks is understandable. Still top of the table and doing pretty decent in CL. He's started off very well at City.

• Advertisement

Celtic has been a great entertaining game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ah stop, he has been hyperboled and treated like a messiah for almost a decade. No respect from the press my ar£e.

The truth is he is a very good manager but he inherited 2 unbelievable teams and has been just about average at City thus far. Who knows how well he will ultimately will progress this City team but I think the last month and a half he has deserved a lot of the criticism
    Which criticism?

Apart from the spurs game city weren't outplayed in any game.

This win tonight is huge for them.

Absolute class from ozil

Ice in his veins. Incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hope you held firm!

I did. They weren't giving me much on the cash out so I said **** it.

Absolute belter of a winner for PSG. Sets up a massive tie in the next match day against arsenal.

F off Celtic and their jammy point. Cost me 400 quid now that PSG have regained the lead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Massive mental hurdle cleared by city.

Terrific statement by City.

Well deserved too.

Antoine Griezmann you f*cking beauty! Accum just came in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Great win from City.

I still can't believe that TV3 showed the Celtic match.

Griezmann has scored a late winner for Atletico Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Brilliant bit of assistant reffing there in the Atleti game. Huge call and he got it spot on.

Burial. wrote: »
    Antoine Griezmann you f*cking beauty! Accum just came in

Fantastic decision from the officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,303 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

F off Celtic and their jammy point. Cost me 400 quid now that PSG have regained the lead.

Love it :D

Burial. wrote: »
    Bit unfair to say he's been average at City. Hit the ground running playing some of the best football possible with a fresh squad. A minor bump in recent weeks is understandable. Still top of the table and doing pretty decent in CL. He's started off very well at City.

The criticism has been focused on the last few weeks. He got plenty of praise in his first month or so. But I am sure he will get the same praise tomorrow. The English tabloid press is hyperbolic, we all know that, they react and tell us what we want to hear.
    Up until now he hasn't overwhelmed any top tier opposition. Even against United, the result may have flattered them a bit. They were well beaten at Spurs, two stumbling home draws against Everton and Southampton and then the hammering by Barca.

Average in relative terms is a fair assessment of the last few weeks.

Essentially, the comment was that he doesn't get the respect he deserves. Thats a nonsense statement. I wouldnt read too much into tabloid reporting but decent sportswriters and pundits have assessed him fairly enough.

To say Pep doesn't get respect from the press is silly season talk. He has been lauded with praise for years and years.

Love it :D

Sound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

murpho999 wrote: »
    Great win from City.

I still can't believe that TV3 showed the Celtic match.
    Someone high up in the sports department at TV3 needs taking out behind the turf shed and shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,303 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

martyos121 wrote: »
    Brilliant bit of assistant reffing there in the Atleti game. Huge call and he got it spot on.

Thomson overruled the assistant, shite ref in Scotland but great spot from him for that goal

Thomson overruled the assistant, shite ref in Scotland but great spot from him for that goal

Or he figured the Madrid crowd would kill him. :pac:

Reality: the "unbelievable team" he inherited at Barcelona finished 10 points behind Villareal and 18 points behind Real Madrid. First season under Pep and they won the club's first ever treble.

This City team finished level on points with Man Utd and only got CL based on goal difference. Both clubs got new managers, one of those clubs is top of the Premier League and is playing breathtaking football and have just defeated the best team in the world, the other club is behind Watford in the table. That's just some fun perspective on how far Pep has brought his team in a very short space of time. He's the best coach in the world, without a shadow of a doubt.

Reality: the "unbelievable team" he inherited at Barcelona finished 10 points behind Villareal and 18 points behind Real Madrid. First season under Pep and they won the club's first ever treble.

This City team finished level on points with Man Utd and only got CL based on goal difference. Both clubs got new managers, one of those clubs is top of the Premier League and is playing breathtaking football and have just defeated the best team in the world, the other club is behind Watford in the table. That's just some fun perspective on how far Pep has brought his team in a very short space of time. He's the best coach in the world, without a shadow of a doubt.

But the point is he deserves criticism when it is merited and his team and ultimately him bear the responsibility of the last 4/5 weeks performances.
    There was plenty of errors of judgments by Guardiola during that period that the press had every right to point out. He doesn't deserve a free ride when in poor form. No manager does. Whilst the tabloids hyperboled the drop in form, it is fair to say he was hyperboled over his management career also.

• Advertisement

But the point is he deserves criticism when it is merited and his team and ultimately him bear the responsibility of the last 4/5 weeks performances.
    There was plenty of errors of judgments by Guardiola during that period that the press had every right to point out. He doesn't deserve a free ride when in poor form. No manager does. Whilst the tabloids hyperboled the drop in form, it is fair to say he was hyperboled over his management career also.

Sure you can criticise errors but only if you criticise in a logical way and the vast majority of the criticisms I read in those 4-5 weeks in certain parts of the media were utter nonsense written by people who are so out of touch with the game or who know nothing about Guardiola and his aims in the first place.

I'd also say that I never thought that even when he was winning his 2nd treble that he received the credit he deserved, especially in, again certain parts of the media in England and Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Hyperbole is not a verb.

Sorry, just annoying me

Sure you can criticise errors but only if you criticise in a logical way and the vast majority of the criticisms I read in those 4-5 weeks in certain parts of the media were utter nonsense written by people who are so out of touch with the game or who know nothing about Guardiola and his aims in the first place.

I'd also say that I never thought that even when he was winning his 2nd treble that he received the credit he deserved, especially in, again certain parts of the media in England and Ireland.

Depends what media you read to be fair.

Depends what media you read to be fair.

Perhaps but far too much of the media I'm referring to is very much mainstream stuff read by the mass public.

sabat wrote: »
    Hyperbole is not a verb.

Sorry, just annoying me

You aren't sorry!!

Grammar Nazi Lurkers never are!! ;)

Perhaps but far too much of the media I'm referring to is very much mainstream stuff read by the mass public.

Daily mail is one of the most popular news sources. It doesn't stop me from having a kitten block in place for all its links. I'd suggest you do the same. :)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/kitten-block/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Beware the masses.

Thankfully round here we have some of our betters to show us the light and the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Barcelona really need to buy a right back.

Sergi Roberto is useless in that position and it'll end up costing them in a game of importance not just a non event like last night which will likely have no significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Barcelona really need to buy a right back.

Sergi Roberto is useless in that position and it'll end up costing them in a game of importance not just a non event like last night which will likely have no significance.

How did Andre Gomes play?
    Never rated him tbh but maybe he might impress me with Barca. Feel that him Umtiti & Alcacer will all have to offer something if Barca are to have a good season. Was surprised to see that City turned them over as I still see glaring weaknesses in that City team.
    Didn't watch the games last night; Arsenal, Bayern and Atletico all struggled with wins against bad or terrible opposition was something I didn't expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

That's what you get for backing against Celtic. Celtic weren't at all jammy to get the point, they should've won the game.

Advertisement