Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

inforfun wrote: »
    May i present you Erik ten Hag of FC Utrecht

wm_l_51c119178da3ba8467f466a831e3624f26442a3b.jpg

He not only wants to play like him, he wants to look like him as well.

That is terrifying. Not sure devotion should ever stretch quite THAT far.

I'd this the same attention to detail that had him persist with Bravo who couldn't save a shot on target.

The same attention to detail when he sets up the EXACT SAME against every team he faces.

I dont know why I'm doing this but out of sheer morbid curiousity, how many times do you think Guardiola changed his formation during the game last night?

Klopp and Jose have been given time and I dont see why Pep should be different.

Now I have my reservations about him, but he does deserve chance, and by that I mean 2-3 seasons. They still have outside chance in PL too.

Doubt there is anybody who disagrees with this however I find it hard to discuss logically with Barca-Man City-Pep Boards.

Pep has been under pressure a couple of times this season but to his credit has bounced back on a few occasions and as you say deserves 2-3 seasons before he can be truly judged.

I personally don't think he will have enough to elevate Man City as winners as he doesn't have the Messi / Xavi / Iniesta levels of quality in his side and he continues to show he cannot identify defenders who can actually defend. I would rate Puyol as one of the best defenders he had at Barca but he did not sign him.
    Dani Alves maybe? I would rate him. I'm not sure if he signed him tho so open to correction.

Performances like last night are to praised from an attacking sense but if you cannot defend you will be punished by betters sides.
    That tie is far from over either, people seem to forget they conceded 3 goals at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That is terrifying. Not sure devotion should ever stretch quite THAT far.

They were at Bayern together, you might recall. He was in charge of Bayern II in the regional liga.

Even better... in a Pep suit

ERG89 wrote: »

Juve should be able to beat Porto. They'd be my favourites for the tournament if not for the nagging doubts around Allegri's future.

I think for Allegri to keep the job they must win. If he leaves Bonucci on the stand for discipline, and Barzagli, Chiellini are uncertain to be fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I think for Allegri to keep the job they must win. If he leaves Bonucci on the stand for discipline, and Barzagli, Chiellini are uncertain to be fit.

Allergi is also going to discipline himself for the outburst between himself and Bonucci.

Maybe if Bonucci is out of favour at Juve he may move.

Imagine if Pep decided to actually go for a real defender rather than turn yet another midfielder into a centre half.

BTW has anyone noticed Massimiliano Allegri's wiki page.

He is in charge at Arsenal already :confused:
    Massimiliano Allegri (Italian pronunciation: [massimiˈljano alˈleɡri]; born 11 August 1967) is an Italian professional football manager, currently in charge of English club Arsenal, and former midfielder.

He would be much better than the much touted Monaco manager who last night showed how much he knows about fixing Arsenal's defensive frailties.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I like Allegri, he's underrated imo wouldn't be a bad choice for Arsenal.

Leicester in for a bad beating tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Either that or a heroic draw, juve to win but they would be nowhere near my favourites for the cup.

Sevilla's style should suit them. I suspect Leicester will actually give a crap tonight. Still even if peak Leicester show up I'd expect Sevilla to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

So stupid and sloppy from Morgan. Should have been cleared twice before that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Pathetic penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Well done Kasper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Awful penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

George Hamilton sounds disembodied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Looks like he pulled rank and took the penalty over the designated taker. Same with Falcao last night and I think there was one in the Huddersfield game too, all missed. It is disgraceful behaviour, goal or no goal.

Some great rotation to Sevilla's play. Working their left side very well and beginning to find space behind Leicester's midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Liverpool should go after Schmeichel in the summer, Leicester would be on the same points as Sunderland if it wasn't for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

that is a monster header

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Lovely header

Feck, this could get fugly.

Excellent goal! No less than Sevilla deserve, they've been really good thus far and full of ideas.

And so it begins,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the beginning of the end for Claudio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Stunning header.

• Advertisement

Peach of a cross and header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Musa was an embarrassment there.

No Leicester player is anticipating anything. You can physically see where Kanté used to be in front of the back 4. I'll give you a clue - the big giant space that Drinkwater keeps vacating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Super cross,al a Monaco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

And so it begins,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the beginning of the end for Claudio

I dont think this will be the end of him, the UCL was just a nice distraction for Leicester, they can still stay up if they even put in 50% of the effort as they did last year.

Player for player, theyre much better than any of the rivals down their.

One team playing football, the other is not.

• Advertisement

I can only laugh at the RTE commentator admonishing Leicester for not playing direct enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Alex Telles gets sent off for Porto .2 bookings for wild tackles in the space of 70 seconds. I've never seen anything as stupid in my life.What an idiot.

Nasri looking svelt.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I dont think this will be the end of him, the UCL was just a nice distraction for Leicester, they can still stay up if they even put in 50% of the effort as they did last year.

Player for player, theyre much better than any of the rivals down their.

Nah, he will be gone. Like when Claudio took over, they need a fresh start. Players want him out, fans (although love him) have wanted him out for months.
    You say the players are "much better" but the reality is in a relegation fight the players are only as good as they are playing and they are getting worse and worse by the week.
    I backed them at 10/1 to go down last month and I genuinely am confident and, tbh, as much as I fell in love with them last season, I couldn't give a rats £rse if they do now.
    Lwicester, Palace and Sunderland for me. Hull are showing signs of revival and fight.

I'm a dyed in the wool leicester united fan and I hope they stay up, come on you tigers!

So that was a weird half. Sevilla doing Sampaoli things which was fun and Leicester not really pressing or sitting in a low block. Trying to kinda do both and ending up doing neither, they are lucky to only be a goal down at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I dont know why I'm doing this but out of sheer morbid curiousity, how many times do you think Guardiola changed his formation during the game last night?

By changing formation do you mean telling his defence not to bither with their primary role and defend....or do you mean allowing his front 4 to interchange and roam freely like he does for every game..

Doubt there is anybody who disagrees with this however I find it hard to discuss logically with Barca-Man City-Pep Boards.

Pep has been under pressure a couple of times this season but to his credit has bounced back on a few occasions and as you say deserves 2-3 seasons before he can be truly judged.

I personally don't think he will have enough to elevate Man City as winners as he doesn't have the Messi / Xavi / Iniesta levels of quality in his side and he continues to show he cannot identify defenders who can actually defend. I would rate Puyol as one of the best defenders he had at Barca but he did not sign him.
    Dani Alves maybe? I would rate him. I'm not sure if he signed him tho so open to correction.

Performances like last night are to praised from an attacking sense but if you cannot defend you will be punished by betters sides.
    That tie is far from over either, people seem to forget they conceded 3 goals at home.

Exactly if they played like they did last night against some of the better teams in the competition they'd have been cleaned out of it

By changing formation do you mean telling his defence not to bither with their primary role and defend....or do you mean allowing his front 4 to interchange and roam freely like he does for every game..

So...you don't really know or wont hazard a guess in case I laugh at you, so you've chosen the old John Giles route of "tactics and formations are a load of old nonsense" argument instead. Good to know what I'm dealing with, needless to say I won't be responding to you for the rest of the evening.

Come on you squirrels!

• Advertisement

So...you don't really know or wont hazard a guess in case I laugh at you, so you've chosen the old John Giles route of "tactics and formations are a load of old nonsense" argument instead. Good to know what I'm dealing with, needless to say I won't be responding to you for the rest of the evening.

Mod:
    These kind of posts and digs "laugh at you" are not conducive to the spirit of a discussion. Much easier and more appropriate if you intend on refraining from discussion with a poster is just to say agree to disagree.

Didn't you say you would shut up about Pep merely a couple of hours ago?!! For a guy who berates people for not being as wise as yourself in many respects, your memory is somewhat questionable!!

Turtwig wrote: »
    Mod:
    These kind of posts and digs "laugh at you" are not conducive to the spirit of a discussion. Much easier and more appropriate if you intend on refraining from discussion with a poster is just to say agree to disagree.

I think there are a few points to talk about based on the discussion I've had but I won't do it here and I'll get back to you in a bit.

Pull your socks up Mahrez ffs.

Didn't you say you would shut up about Pep merely a couple of hours ago?!! For a guy who berates people for not being as wise as yourself in many respects, your memory is somewhat questionable!!

I'm trying here. Anyway I've said I'll end the discussion, the rest of my posts tonight will relate to this evening's match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Pull your socks up Mahrez ffs.

He's an absolute disgrace, how much did Barcelona/Arsenal/Chelsea offer for him again????

From Russia with mediocrity: The Ahmed Musa chronicles.

I'm trying here. Anyway I've said I'll end the discussion, the rest of my posts tonight will relate to this evening's match.

Well, as you said earlier it is a boring debate when one of the participants won't hear a negative word about him and often insults others for having such!! So, yeah, I can't imagine you are having much fun in said debate! Anyway, I'll give you until tomorrow! You are showing progress I guess! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Jesus leicester are tragic, thank god musa is off.

• Advertisement

What are you on about.. Aguero moving behind sterling and sterling running on for a goal doesn't constitute a formation change. It's interplay ...LIKE EVERY OTHER TOP SIDE DOES.

Shutting up shop when you go a goal ahead with 10 minutes is something Sean Dykes does.

You have this misconception that because his players move about on the pitch it's Pep telling them at 18 minutes do this. 18 minutes is typically when the left back blows his nose for Monaco and you'll have joy then.

Honestly, if the man took a **** you'd say it smelt likes roses.

Advertisement