Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Oh well, twas a helluva ride while it lasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

People will say Vardy was silly not to follow Kante out in the Summer but fk that, I think it was the right thing for him to do at the time and therefore it was the right thing to do, regardless of how it has turned out.

Saying that I envisage the new challenge at Arsenal would have kept his momentum up from last season and he would have been a great addition at The Emirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Goal! Predictable destruction. Leicester have opened up a bit in the last few minutes, they can't go head to head with Sevilla and the punishment is inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

What was Ronnie Whelan sh*ting on about at half time?
    That goal was a goal that a team not playing for their manager would concede. They should go out and give it a go second half even if they don't like their manager.

How could any of those players feel any ill will towards Ranieri after last season?

Don't take away from the fact Sevilla are a very decent team, not that is of any complimentary significance to Leicester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

People will say Vardy was silly not to follow Kante out in the Summer but fk that, I think it was the right thing for him to do at the time and therefore it was the right thing to do, regardless of how it has turned out.

Saying that I envisage the new challenge at Arsenal would have kept his momentum up from last season and he would have been a great addition at The Emirates.

Just posted in the arsenal thread that Kante was a steal at 30mil , look at how Leicester are doing without him and what he's doing at chelsea , vardy IMO is a one hit wonder . Mahrez is the only decent player left but his playing lately like he dont give a sh!te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

George has lost it! Jim's not helping, they finally realise Correa didnt score twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Is mahrez playing?

Replacing a world class player with 5 decent players never works.

What was Ronnie Whelan sh*ting on about at half time?
    That goal was a goal that a team not playing for their manager would concede. They should go out and give it a go second half even if they don't like their manager.

How could any of those players feel any ill will towards Ranieri after last season?

Well apparently they do. If you go to the Leicester fan forum there are plenty of insiders there giving stark details of the breakdown of relations, just as the media has banged on about also.

I know it makes for a good tabloid side story but apparently there is a great truth to it, sadly.

A millionaire footballer's mind is a hard thing to figure out, I guess!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Not if he'd tried to become a cultured footballer like he has this season.

To his utter detriment he's become a better footballer (coming short for the ball, neat touches etc), but he's toned down the things that made him effective (tireless harassing of CBs, endlessly running in behind, being a generally nasty cúnt).

He's a very content looking footballer, and it's killed him. Maybe the Arsenal challenge would've helped him keep his edge, I don't know.

But he's lost most of what made him brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Well apparently they do. If you go to the Leicester fan forum there are plenty of insiders there giving stark details of the breakdown of relations, just as the media has banged on about also.

I know it makes for a good tabloid side story but apparently there is a great truth to it, sadly.

A millionaire footballer's mind is a hard thing to figure out, I guess!!!

That's pathetic if true. The likes of Vardy, Morgan, Drinkwater, Albrighton...
    It's nothing short of a miracle these guys have a PL medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

An away goal, changes tie now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

SlickRic wrote: »
    Not if he'd tried to become a cultured footballer like he has this season.

To his utter detriment he's become a better footballer (coming short for the ball, neat touches etc), but he's toned down the things that made him effective (tireless harassing of CBs, endlessly running in behind, being a generally nasty cúnt).

He's a very content looking footballer, and it's killed him. Maybe the Arsenal challenge would've helped him keep his edge, I don't know.

But he's lost most of what made him brilliant.

I'm a brilliant anti-jinxer I am.

'ang on, 'ang on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Vardy does it for Leicester,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Worst thing that could have happened for Leicesters season.

The really need to be out of this and fully focused on avoiding relegation.

''That is a Turnip ''
    ''huge'
    ''Huge Turnip ''

They think it's all over

It's not over, not yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

If Leicester were in any other sport, e.g. Cycling, swimming, track & field, and had a record like theirs of being sh1te, coming from nowhere yo win a big competition, and back to sh1te again, there would be serious questions asked. But football is different....... Mmmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It looked like the ball wasn't out for that throw that brought about that goal. Sevilla were away on a very good break too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It looked like the ball wasn't out for that throw that brought about that goal. Sevilla were away on a very good break too.

looked out to me.

Cloudy N Rainy on touchline thinking about players

giphy.gif

They love me, they love me not .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

If Leicester were in any other sport, e.g. Cycling, swimming, track & field, and had a record like theirs of being sh1te, coming from nowhere yo win a big competition, and back to sh1te again, there would be serious questions asked. But football is different....... Mmmmmm.

Others or more heavily influenced by physical performance rather than technical. I could EPO and testosterone myself up to the gills and I'd still not get into a league 2 squad. Everyone else was bad last year and Leicester took the opportunity, i'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt seeing as there's 20+ of them and none of them got popped at any stage.

Come on you cheetahs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

GOAL!!!! Fantastic, awe-inspiring. Vardy does it again is there nothing this majestic footballer can't do. Tactics, FANTASTIC, Inspired. The double pivot has shun through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

jive wrote: »
    Others or more heavily influenced by physical performance rather than technical. I could EPO and testosterone myself up to the gills and I'd still not get into a league 2 squad. Everyone else was bad last year and Leicester took the opportunity, i'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt seeing as there's 20+ of them and none of them got popped at any stage.
    Testing of PED's in the Premier League is next yo nonexistent tbh. A lot of those guys played out of their skin last year amid undistinguished careers, had an injury free squad and have now fallen off the cliff.
    I dunno, might be wrong, but I'm a little perturbed that the question is never really raised in the media especially, it's all Claudio's/Mahrez fault innit.

Good outcome for the elephants.

Not the best result for Sevilla, still positive and clearly the better of the 2 sides. Should go through to the quarters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Great result for Leicester, thought they'd get bet about 4-0.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Feels like a very positive result for Leicester in the end

Turtwig wrote: »
    I like Allegri, he's underrated imo wouldn't be a bad choice for Arsenal.

Well he looks a genius now .

You would like to think that a man like Duffer, having played at every top level of the game could pull off the pronunciation of Sevilla!

You could see Daragh looking at him as he constantly said "Civil Yaa" !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This weeks Results
    Bayer Leverkusen (GER) 2 V 4 Atlético Madrid (ESP)
    Manchester City (ENG) 5 V 3 Monaco (FRA)
    Porto (POR) 0 V 2 Juventus (ITA)
    Sevilla (ESP) 2 V Leicester City (ENG)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

This weeks Results
    Bayer Leverkusen (GER) 2 V 4 Atlético Madrid (ESP)
    Manchester City (ENG) 5 V 3 Monaco (FRA)
    Porto (POR) 0 V 2 Juventus (ITA)
    Sevilla (ESP) 2 V 1 Leicester City (ENG)

fyp
    :)

Great stuff for Leicester to get that vital away goal ..

• Advertisement

Could you imagine Leicester get through, draw Man City and (not highly unlikely ) beat them over 2 legs. But remain in relegation danger!

I tell you what, soccer movies are, by and large awful but that would make some unbelievable story!

Could you imagine Leicester get through, draw Man City and (not highly unlikely ) beat them over 2 legs. But remain in relegation danger!

I tell you what, soccer movies are, by and large awful but that would make some unbelievable story!

Somebody hasn't seen "Goal 2" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Nasri looking svelt.

A good reason to want to see them dumped by Leicester..
    Worst thing that could have happened for Leicesters season.

The really need to be out of this and fully focused on avoiding relegation.

Actually disagree.
    It might kick start their season and give them a bit of belief.

It does happen occasionally.

The stars were aligned last year for them.
    It was a bit like Denmark winning in 92.

Most of the normal Top4 contenders last year were out of sorts.
    Chelsea, Man city, United were nowhere really.
    Spurs ran them close, but managed to implode.
    Arsenal should ideally have been the ones dominating last years league, but the Wenger team of gutless wonders had to have their annual meltdown.

And yes Kante made a huge difference to that team.

And if you want to talk about accusations of doping in soccer I think a person who had some answers was Dr Fuentes.

Of course the Spanish authorities put that avenue to bed.
    I often wonder why. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

Sid Lowe posted a picture of the game last night and drew out the formation he believes Sevilla used last night and, his version of it, looked distinctly like a 2-3-5 (or the old "pyramid" formation). It's just interesting to note that, because of Sampaoli's ban it was Juanma Lillo on the touchline last night and that's a formation that he has used in the past and has influenced other coaches to use (Guardiola being a big example). I do think that whatever club Sampaoli chooses to go to next, I'd hope Lillo comes with him because, for balance of the team, he's huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Sid Lowe posted a picture of the game last night and drew out the formation he believes Sevilla used last night and, his version of it, looked distinctly like a 2-3-5 (or the old "pyramid" formation). It's just interesting to note that, because of Sampaoli's ban it was Juanma Lillo on the touchline last night and that's a formation that he has used in the past and has influenced other coaches to use (Guardiola being a big example). I do think that whatever club Sampaoli chooses to go to next, I'd hope Lillo comes with him because, for balance of the team, he's huge.

They will both be at Barcelona next season.

• Advertisement

Dilly Dilly Gone Gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Just thought I'd post that 2 winners of this competition Raymond Kopa and Tommy Gemmell passed away during the week.

Didn't see too much mention of their deaths in the media but 2 legends in their own right particularly Kopa who won the Ballon D'Or in 1958 and played on 3 European Cup winning teams for the great Real Madrid team at that time and playing for the great Reims team of the 50's as well.He must have been some player if he got to play for Real Madrid back then considering how few players played abroad in those days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Very few survivors of the legendary 5-in-a-row Madrid team now. Gento is one of them, the only man with 6 medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

After a weeks break
    Tuesday March 7th
    Arsenal (ENG) V FC Bayern München (GER) (Agg 1-5)
    Napoli (ITA) V Real Madrid (ESP) (Agg 1-3)

Wednesday March 8th
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) V SL Benfica (POR) (Agg 0-1)
    FC Barcelona (ESP) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) (Agg 0-4)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Can't wait for Napoli - Real and Barca - PSG.

Think Napoli will claw a goal back soon and make Real nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Can't wait for Napoli - Real and Barca - PSG.

Think Napoli will claw a goal back soon and make Real nervous.

Double with Napoli and Bayern.

Great value at 6/1. Napoli are going well at home. Bayern you'd expect to beat a very bad Arsenal team with an out of favour Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Tonights the kind of game that Arsenal have won in the past after being all but out of it in the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Arsenal game? Already over.

If Napoli score first, could get very interesting. Of course Madrid are likely to score, but their form recently has been poor, especially in defence, so could see them leaking a couple tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

NIMAN wrote: »
    Arsenal game? Already over.

If Napoli score first, could get very interesting. Of course Madrid are likely to score, but their form recently has been poor, especially in defence, so could see them leaking a couple tonight.

Oh I know the tie is over but Arsenal will probably win on the night and p*ss off their fans and leave them wondering why they were abject failures in the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Oh I know the tie is over but Arsenal will probably win on the night and p*ss off their fans and leave them wondering why they were abject failures in the first leg.
    Nah, most of us know it's because they can't play under pressure and then in games like tonight when the tie is over they relax and play better. It's been the same for many many years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement