Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just thought I'd post that 2 winners of this competition Raymond Kopa and Tommy Gemmell passed away during the week.

Didn't see too much mention of their deaths in the media but 2 legends in their own right particularly Kopa who won the Ballon D'Or in 1958 and played on 3 European Cup winning teams for the great Real Madrid team at that time and playing for the great Reims team of the 50's as well.He must have been some player if he got to play for Real Madrid back then considering how few players played abroad in those days.

One of my biggest footballing regrets was meeting Di Stefano outside the Bernabeu one day, as he was standing with another guy at a car.

I had left my camera at the hotel, so jumped into the shopping centre at the stadium to buy a disposable camera, hoping for a selfie (in pre selfie days). Came out just to see them driving off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Quazzie wrote: »
    Nah, most of us know it's because they can't play under pressure and then in games like tonight when the tie is over they relax and play better. It's been the same for many many years.

Must be frustrating as hell. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Tonights the kind of game that Arsenal have won in the past after being all but out of it in the first leg.

Oh yes, i can see a 3-0 for Arsenal. Will not be surprised whatsoever if that happens.
    Just like a few years ago, losing 3-1 at home everybody expecting a hiding in Munich and the win 2-0.
    Close but no cigar the Arsenal way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bayern will likely score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Quazzie wrote: »
    Nah, most of us know it's because they can't play under pressure and then in games like tonight when the tie is over they relax and play better. It's been the same for many many years.

Arsenal can use Barca as inspiration to turn it around v Bayern ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Arsenal to win 3-0 or 4-1 and make it look as if they pushed it all the way and had Bayern panicking and hanging on, but actually their final two goals to have been scored in the 91st and 95th minutes.

Sanchez starts.

Dropped for a winnable game but he leads the line in a dead rubber.

Wenger logic right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Sanchez starts.

Dropped for a winnable game but he leads the line in a dead rubber.

Wenger logic right there.

I admire Wenger on that one. Why should he give in to player power and someone who walks out on the training pitch. He may have apologised and thus been reinstated. Purely conjecture but we will never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

4-1 to the arse.

• Advertisement

I admire Wenger on that one. Why should he give in to player power and someone who walks out on the training pitch. He may have apologised and thus been reinstated. Purely conjecture but we will never know

Oh ya, its noble to a point, right up until the they were 2-0 down and he dragged him on at half time.

The Wenger out march has a pretty sizeable gathering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I did at first but I thought about it, and it was such an odd one. Its not as if he ommitted him from the squad completely. (ha as I write this, Brian Kerr just said EXACT same thing!)

I think he should have been fined perhaps, but that means nothing to players either. There was too much at risk dropping him and ommitting him for the first half may have been the difference between them getting a point OR even winning. And, may even be the difference between them getting a top 4, who knows.

Although he is the manager, he must take responsibility for decisions like that.

the logic of dropping him but benching him and bringing him on, very strange.

The Wenger out march has a pretty sizeable gathering.

Good. Hopefully they make their presence felt inside whatever resistance there is from stewards and other fans.

Welbeck injures during warm-up. Peak Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sanchez? Who cares.
    I wanna know if Troopz is going to be on Arsenal fan TV later fam

• Advertisement

I did at first but I thought about it, and it was such an odd one. Its not as if he ommitted him from the squad completely. (ha as I write this, Brian Kerr just said EXACT same thing!)

I think he should have been fined perhaps, but that means nothing to players either. There was too much at risk dropping him and ommitting him for the first half may have been the difference between them getting a point OR even winning. And, may even be the difference between them getting a top 4, who knows.

Although he is the manager, he must take responsibility for decisions like that.

the logic of dropping him but benching him and bringing him on, very strange.

Pires, who was at the training ground this week, apparently said he was fined and disciplined on the day, including Kosclienly going after him when he walked off.

Game on?

Nah.

Great stuff from Walcott there. Everyone should just be blasting like that.

Why is Neuer trying to punch that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What happened the keeper there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Game on?

Nah.

Maybe but it's a goal that Arsenal desperately needed and hopefully that spurs them on.

Why is Neuer trying to punch that?

That's what they all do when facing a powerful shot.

Mertens=slick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

1-0 Napoli, get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Goal Napoli! That is football! That's a magnificent team goal!

Maybe but it's a goal that Arsenal desperately needed and hopefully that spurs them on.

Meh, I'd sooner see Arsenal humiliated if it'll get Wenger out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Spurs them only to only lose by 3? :pac:

Neuer should be saving that, keep his hands open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Started watching the Napoli game, missed the goal in the Bayern match so I switch over to that for a little while and miss the goal in the Napoli game. Typical. :(

Go across goal Theo, arsenal will not be scoring from set pieces, bayern dominant in the air.

• Advertisement

Go across goal Theo, arsenal will not be scoring from set pieces, bayern dominant in the air.

Was well covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Arsenal denied a penalty there. It would've made the game interesting anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Commentary on BT couldn't be any worse. 3 replays show Alonso clearly getting the ball and the two lads still going on about a "stonewaller"

Makes no difference tonight but the referee is shocking.

Chip him Giroud, bayern center backs not the quickest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Napoli Real is a very good match. Cristiano missed one off the post, and now so did Napoli.

Stupid yellow card for Walcott. Referee is having a shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Arsenal had one job to do away to Bayern, not concede a goal, they concede 5.
    How does a team do that? It's a game to play ten men behind ball, a chess game over two legs. All this huff and puff tonight is too little too late.

Napoli Real is a very good match. Cristiano missed one off the post, and now so did Napoli.

I'll switch over.

• Advertisement

Vidal would've been off if he caught Sanchez there. Not even a yellow. Terrible officiating.

How does a team do that? It's a game to play ten men behind ball, a chess game over two legs. All this huff and puff tonight is too little too late.

58d8f25361e03e0bd8ad903965db33df.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can't imagine the Arsenal match being a tenth as good as the Napoli match

mon to feck ref youve been terrible

Excellent game and based on that half and the first leg Napoli are unlucky to be behind in this tie. They've played some fantastic football and have broken Madrid's lines so easily at times. At the same time, Madrid look like scoring here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Think Napoli can win the tie they're all over Real, I just worry about Real on the break and I can see them snatching a goal.

• Advertisement

Bayern are like someone sitting an end of year exam knowing their project has got them a pass already. So they do the bare minimum by turning up & writing their name down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Have they not blown the first leg a few times only to follow it up with a spirited second leg like this? Was only saying to a guy in work today i wouldnt be surprsied to see arsenal win by a couple of goals.

klose wrote: »
    Have they not blown the first leg a few times only to follow it up with a spirited second leg like this? Was only saying to a guy in work today i wouldnt be surprsied to see arsenal win by a couple of goals.

5 of the last 6 years off the top of my head.

Careca looking well.

No exaggeration, no hype, Marcelo is one of Real Madrid's top 3 players.

• Advertisement
Advertisement