Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Vicxas wrote: »
    Maybe Arsenal need a season out of the CL, this is just torturous to watch, even for a non Arsenal fan
    Would you take a pay cut for a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The question looming now is who would play for Arsenal even taking bloated Prem wages into account? Wenger went for the top table with Ozil and Sanchez in particular plus big signings in Xhaka & Mustafi and yet they have just had their worst ever two legged result and the worst defeat so far at the Emirates. They reek of failure and yet could still be a CL team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ronaldo has scored 2 of Madrid's last 24 CL goals.

Arsene Wenger as he tells the media that the club is in great shape but going through a difficult situation.

Great shape................wonder what does 10million a year man mean by that.

giphy.gif

I'd say the guy running arsenal fan TV is a happy chappy, and is also rolling around in cash

I have subscription to this channel and I'm a utd fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

martyos121 wrote: »
    Luis Enrique did it not even a week ago. :confused:

Yeah but Luis Enrique will be leaving on a high, a 3rd treble for the club ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Leaving on a high?

They have a 50/50 chance of not winning La Liga, and were stuffed out of sight by PSG a couple of weeks ago in the main competition they are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

NIMAN wrote: »

Leaving on a high?

They have a 50/50 chance of not winning La Liga, and were stuffed out of sight by PSG a couple of weeks ago in the main competition they are in.

Be is a not funny very strange troll, don't mind him.

The question looming now is who would play for Arsenal even taking bloated Prem wages into account? Wenger went for the top table with Ozil and Sanchez in particular plus big signings in Xhaka & Mustafi and yet they have just had their worst ever two legged result and the worst defeat so far at the Emirates. They reek of failure and yet could still be a CL team.

The club will be in a worse state than Utd post Ferguson for a few years I think but will slowly rebuild itself. All depends what manager they choose. Whatever happens Wenger will be the scapegoat to blame if it goes bad but if it goes good they will be able to justify the vitriol.

Personally, I think, being a very smart, astute, proud (rich) man he should have gave up this obsession to retire on a high with another league or even Champ League 2/3 seasons ago, stepped back and let someone else take the reigns. I also don't think it will be a good idea for him to shadow the next manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Must be scary for clubs with long serving managers.
    Examples like Auxerre and to a lesser degree Man Utd must not fill Arsenal fans with a lot of confidence things will be better soon after Wenger leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

inforfun wrote: »
    Examples like Auxerre and to a lesser degree Man Utd must not fill Arsenal fans with a lot of confidence things will be better soon after Wenger leaves.

The fact that that Kroenke and the board won't be going anywhere even if Wenger leaves means nothing will really change at the club anytime soon imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Kroenke wants to make money, doesnt care about winning prizes.

inforfun wrote: »

United aren't in that bad a state. There is a massive overreaction at times as to their "demise". You would swear it was Leeds. A bit of luck in all those drawn games and United, and I genuinely mean this could be not far off Chelsea.

I'm not saying that this could be said about other teams but United were in great for of late and they should be 2nd or 3rd right now.

Regards post Ferguson, a lot of blame has to be passed onto the boss himself. He left the club with an ageing squad. I think Moyes was VERY hard done by. Don't think he is a fantastic manager but Fergus on was given plenty of time when he came in, Moyes most definitely should have been granted 2 seasons at least.

Van Gaal was in semi retirement mode when he arrived, little hunger in his bones for such a task. And fans had no patience.

In a way Arsenal are lucky to see what has happened at United so they can be patient with there incoming manager. Different circumstances of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

In a way Arsenal are lucky to see what has happened at United so they can be patient with there incoming manager. Different circumstances of course.

I agree with some of your points, especially the fact that United really should be in 2nd or 3rd right now, but I disagree with this.

Sometimes the wrong manager is just the wrong manager, United are only in a much better place now because they didn't cling to the ideal of being patient with the manager, instead they acted and got rid of two managers who quite clearly were not doing a good job. I dread to think where we would be had Van Gaal been given more time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

United aren't in that bad a state. There is a massive overreaction at times as to their "demise". You would swear it was Leeds.
    The problem with Leeds was that they thought that they would be in the CL every season and (over)spent accordingly.
    The "demise" of Man Utd is called so because they also saw themselves as "belonging" in the CL every season, and have failed twice in the last 3 seasons. Their "demise" is relative only to their expectations.

As for the CL, I think Arsenal can say goodbye to that now for a few seasons at least. Both Manchester clubs, and two London clubs are all ahead of them now in the pecking order, and they might well end up on some managerial merry-go-round now, which isn't a guarantee for success at all. They lack steel, aggression and at least 3 other Koscielny's. (Technically on the pitch for only 1 of the 10 goals conceded vs Bayern!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The fact that that Kroenke and the board won't be going anywhere even if Wenger leaves means nothing will really change at the club anytime soon imo.

You say that and look, you know more about Arsenal than i do. I won't really argue that it'd be better if Kroenke went as well because it does seem to be an opinion of a lot of Arsenal fans.

But is it true that Wenger won't or doesn't really like to spend money that is readily available to him, or is there just not the money available to him that is reported in the media (i know he did spend a bit in the summer alright).

You could get a manager, just say Simone for arguements sake, who will spend that money available and who may well spend it better. It's not like Arsenal are truly that bad in an overall sense.

Kroenke will still want top four and be happy just to achieve that, but maybe a new manager can get him that by finishing top and actually then being competitive in the Champions League when they get there?

So basically, a change of manager really could be all it needs.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

monkey9 wrote: »
    You say that and look, you know more about Arsenal than i do. I won't really argue that it'd be better if Kroenke went as well because it does seem to be an opinion of a lot of Arsenal fans.

But is it true that Wenger won't or doesn't really like to spend money that is readily available to him, or is there just not the money available to him that is reported in the media (i know he did spend a bit in the summer alright).

You could get a manager, just say Simone for arguements sake, who will spend that money available and who may well spend it better. It's not like Arsenal are truly that bad in an overall sense.

Kroenke will still want top four and be happy just to achieve that, but maybe a new manager can get him that by finishing top and actually then being competitive in the Champions League when they get there?

So basically, a change of manager really could be all it needs.

Regardless its time for Wenger to go but honestly I think the club is just rotten to the core with a lack of ambition to do anything other than remain in "good shape".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Arsenal have spent big in the last 3 or 4 years, theyve just not got enough bang for their buck, I get it they want to at the very least push for a title and ultimately win it and also get further than the round of 16 in the UCL.

Their side is full of internationals with a wealth of experience, the biggest let down seems to be the manager and whats worse, unless the players (Sanchez, Ozil) know about a new manager coming in this summer, they could both be off and will be impossible to replace for the money theyed get and then Arsenal would need to replace Wenger anyway in 12 or 24 months time.

Its harsh but if they want to stay relevant they have to take that extended deal for Wenger off the table and leave him go in the summer or else they could lose 2 prized assets with no chance of replacing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Arsenal have spent big in the last 3 or 4 years, theyve just not got enough bang for their buck, I get it they want to at the very least push for a title and ultimately win it and also get further than the round of 16 in the UCL.

Their side is full of internationals with a wealth of experience, the biggest let down seems to be the manager and whats worse, unless the players (Sanchez, Ozil) know about a new manager coming in this summer, they could both be off and will be impossible to replace for the money theyed get and then Arsenal would need to replace Wenger anyway in 12 or 24 months time.

Its harsh but if they want to stay relevant they have to take that extended deal for Wenger off the table and leave him go in the summer or else they could lose 2 prized assets with no chance of replacing them.

Arsenal spent big last summer. They didn't spend big the other summers. Summer 13 Mesut Ozil was bought for 42 million and Flamini was bought on a free.
    Summer 14 Sanchez was bought for 35 million, Debuchy, Chambers, Ospina for moderate fees around 10-15 million each.
    Summer 15 Cech was the only signing, now this really pissed me off at the time and was actually negligence on part of Wenger and the board.
    Arsenal still have more financial muscle than they are showing, which is my major problem with Kroenke though.

The difference in these years as opposed to the years before summer 13 was that we haven't lost any major players which happened regularly before that, due to finances.
    I agree Wengers time is done now, but as has been said ad nauseaum Kroenke and his cronies need to go as well. Wenger is only half the problem.

• Advertisement

Arsenal are valued at what, probably £1.5 billion and Kroenke's company own about 70% of the club so his shares, that put his value at close to a billion, give or take a few quid.

Whats the answer? Arsenal are making serious money every year, theyre running a profit and unless Usmanov or some Chinese/Arab investor group comes in with a stupidly high offer for his stake, hes not going to sell up, unfortunately for the fans.

Even if the fans start kicking up a fuss, it will take probably a combination of a few bad season and increasing fan pressure to force him, IMO.

If Wenger goes and Arsenal win the league within the next 3 years under a new manager, I'm sure they'll still be annoyed with some of Kroenke's business but it will ultimately appease the masses, I can also see a new guy either demanding more freedom to spend or else they could be hiring a Moyes style boss, a level below what a team like Arsenal should be hoping to get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

Tough times in RTE
    No money for chairs for the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    Tough times in RTE
    No money for chairs for the panel

Liam Brady staring at the tactics screen like it's soms kind of futuristic spaceship that's descended to Earth was high quality television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Come on psg, really humiliate them.

Some bookies have Barca at 15/2 to go through tonight.

Thats insane, anyone putting money on that is better off throwing it on the lotto.

Spoiler, Barça aren't going through tonight. However the performance against Celta was so good, I just want to see a performance that makes us all proud and happy.

Barca will need some serious luck to go through tonight.

If theyre 2-0 at HT they might give themselves a glimmer but leaving one in and they will, and its game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

Great stuff

Yes! Goal! Goal! Suarez! The Camp Nou is rocking!!

Christ :o

• Advertisement

Ball clearly didn't cross the line, ref is a homer of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Will be interesting to watch now :)

What are the odds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It just gets interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Cmon Barca, few more for interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

GreNoLi wrote: »

Clearly did according to goal line technology and the replay ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Does George Hamilton really have to cover every RTE game? He's desperate bad at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I hope thats sarcasm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

wonski wrote:
    Clearly did according to goal line technology

Outta here with your sensible facts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

The 4th official is on Boards!

Maybe check the replay :) And get rid of the extra officials and bring in video referee 'cos these clowns are useless.

• Advertisement

Lucas the Brazilian Theo Walcott.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

You get the feeling that this will be a cracker of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Quickest ball boys I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

PSG playing with no self belief. Hard to believe the win 4 0 just a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

On TV?

PSG won't finish with 11, maybe Barca won't either. A lot of grit in this game. Another Barca goal before half time and I can see PSG physically and mentally imploding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

On TV?

RTE and BT

On TV?

this match???? Of course it is!!!

RTE 2 and I assume BT Sports also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Barca are bossing it at the moment, but they still haven't got the next goal yet. I'd still fancy PSG to knick one on the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I can imagine barca getting a second and then capitulationing in the second half.

• Advertisement
Advertisement