Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

murpho999 wrote: »
    They were penalties.

Why can't people just enjoy a fantastic match without all the cynicism.

Barcelona were amazing.

2nd one was never a penalty, blatant dive by Suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

MD1990 wrote: »
    PSG & Arsenal should be banned from the CL.

Yep! and City and Chelsea. :D

Oh yeah Dortmund beat Benfica 4-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

niallo27 wrote: »
    Barca were backed from 10/1 to 7/1 today to qualify. There was huge money put on them to go through.

Would have been plenty on PSG as well. Bookies will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PhilipsR wrote: »
    When there's games played like that I couldn't give a rats what teams they are. Once the games aren't stale let the same ones in. Probably the best CL game I've ever watched.

But it was just so one-sided... I dunno... i enjoyed it for the drama, but Monaco Man City the other week was head and shoulders better as an actual game, ebbing and flowing throughout.

Bah, sorry, ill stop being such a grump. I don't particularly follow/dislike either team, but really would have liked to have seen PSG go through for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

RoryMac wrote: »
    As much as I dislike Neymar's diving that ball in for the winning goal was amazing, such composure with the game in the balance

...and his freekick, and his penalty when Messi chickened out of taking it .

GO NEYMAR !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Went up to have a shower at the 80th minute, it was 3-1 and I did not think Barcelona would get back in. Came down to 5-1 and just watched a thing of beauty for the winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Would gladly take 0-0's and sh*tty deflected winners in ET for the rest of the tournament after tonight's game and City/Monaco the other week. Really been treated to all time great games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

The trolls need to go back under their bridges.
    Seriously, give some credit to Barcelona, that was an unreal performance.

Yeah it's great for them and their fans.

But for the rest, thats it ... they have won the competition - name is on the cup .... AGAIN ....

Who can beat them ??

It´s like every other season when they win it - it's like its decided from the start and thats it.

Boring.

Other teams shouldn't bother their arse playing ..

Ah class the lads celebrating in the studio :pac:

• Advertisement

There was contact.

Either way, it was a great penalty by Neymar and the game was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

Wow just wow what a game I'm still in shock ,it really is a crazy crazy game !!!!!! Wenger to PSG ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What about Di Maria chance at the end, looked a peno to me with Mascherano diving in from behind. Not sure they showed a replay of it (Di Maria should have scored anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This game will be remembered for decades.

Nuts, but just got to applaud Barca.

Lucky? Yes but they took their chances too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

It was in no way a vintage barca performance but the PSG tactics and lack of ambition just invited the pressure on.
    Two huge chances missed by Cavani and Di Maria were crucial in the end. Awful misses.

Unforgivable choke job by PSG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

They were penalties.

Barcelona were amazing.

I enjoyed the match unbelievably, but I am entitled to be cynical about that first penalty. They deserved to go through, I am delighted they did, and PSG were like a bunch of amateurs but if I don't think it is a penalty, I don't need to be told to just ignore it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Gonna pour myself a pint of Gazprom to calm myself down here

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There was contact.

Either way, it was a great penalty by Neymar and the game was fantastic.

Barcelona miss something like half their penalties, so the fact they managed to score two in one game is nearly as surprising as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

A great comeback by Barcelona, but PSG's complete and utter meltdown is what decided this match, rather than the brilliance of Barcelona. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Barca didn't even play that well incredibly, an absolute bottle job from the ever gutless PSG.

Congrats to Barca, unbelievable comeback.

Heads will be rolling in Paris

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Did anyone else think Di Maria had his ankles clipped when clean through? No one appealed and there was no replay but it looked so obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

They were penalties.

Barcelona were amazing.

I didn't enjoy the way PSG approached the game. They gave Barca a chance and then the ref made it a real possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

No complaining about the referee tonight by AIG anyway.

But it is better to see Barca go through. PSG would get destroyed in the next round if they faced Real,Bayern or Dortmund.

GO NEYMAR !

I left both of them out because both came from dives but yeah free kick was decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Burial. wrote: »
    Ohhhhhhh how sweet it is. Barca ♥♥♥♥♥

Brilliant :D, 'Ronnie' fans fairly upset by that I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Some performance by Barcelona. Absolutely unbelievable. Didn't think they'd pull it back

You'd be pretty pissed off by the refs if you were a PSG fan.
    2 soft penalties, what looked like a certain foul on Di Maria not given for a penalty.
    And 5 minutes of injury time???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

GO NEYMAR !

Haha. Take a deep breath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

BenK wrote: »
    'Busquets showing his age'. He's 28 Liam!

Really I honestly thought he was 32/33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    See, I just can't go along with that line. A comeback from being down in a single game will always beat out something like this one for me. PSG were just never there today, so its hard to consider a 6-1 thrashing as a comeback.

Whereas it all happening in one game means you fell behind, and had to conquer those emotions right then and there, no prep, no plan, you just had to dig within yourself, climb out of the pit of despair, and fight back.

Great comeback of course, but emotionally not a patch on 2005 or 99 or many others imo.

The 99 comeback is 2 quick goals that's happened load of times before in games.It's just that it was a final that makes it so special.

To be trailing by 4 goals and having to score 3 goals in the last 7 minutes is better than any other comeback there has been in the sport in my opinion.

How can you judge hwo emotional it was.It was pretty emotional for all the barcelona fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Never underestimate the French in a battle to finish second place from even the strongest positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Went up to have a shower at the 80th minute, it was 3-1 and I did not think Barcelona would get back in. Came down to 5-1 and just watched a thing of beauty for the winner
    Could you not find a towel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Do you believe in miracles?

Sorry lads, after the 3rd goal I had to stop posting. I, like a lot of people on here, could sense something special might have been on the cards and I wanted to soak that in. Like everyone, I was deflated after the Cavani goal, Barcelona's response said it all, the play had gone flat, the atmosphere had fizzled out. To do it at all is a miracle, to do it the way they did by having to score 6 is something beyond divinity. I've never witnessed a sporting occasion like that before, we might never again. You'll always remember where you were at that moment when Sergi Roberto put the ball in the Paris net in the 95th minute. No hyperbole in this post, no exaggeration, tonight everyone on this thread should be posting about Gerard Pique who is everything good and right about Barcelona, they should be posting about Mascherano who is an absolutely warrior, they should be posting about Sergio Busquets who held this together tonight in a way that only Busquets can, they should be posting about Neymar who is the superstar to take over from Messi, they should be posting about Sergi Roberto who will have dreamed of a moment like this at the Camp Nou since he was a boy.

Always Mes Que Un Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The 99 comeback is 2 quick goals that's happened load of times before in games.It's just that it was a final that makes it so special.

To be trailing by 4 goals and having to score 3 goals in the last 7 minutes is better than any other comeback there has been in the sport in my opinion.

If those 4 goals happened today, i'd totally agree. That implies being outplayed, and then having to find it within yourself to fight back.

But they happened 3 weeks ago. Today was a totally one sided affair. I'll always prefer a fightback that all actually takes place in one game, where both sides who their mettle in the game. PSG were just garbage today.

Again, totally incredible story, but personally I would rate a comeback higher where the lads out in the field are facing disaster and pull themselves through.
    How can you judge hwo emotional it was.It was pretty emotional for all the barcelona fans.
    That's not what I mean. I mean in terms of the actual emotional range going on through those 90 minutes. Barca have prepped for this for 3 weeks, coming onto the pitch tonight knowing exactly what to do. Likewise, PSG. Personally I prefer when that journey all takes place in one match. When one side score a few, high on confidence, feeling incredible, while the other side are down in the dumps, and somehow manage to immediately redirect their focus, refuse to fall apart, and come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Suarez & Messi were far off their best & Barca still scored 6.

Neymar should tonight that he is a level above Bale & Hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

vetinari wrote: »
    Some performance by Barcelona. Absolutely unbelievable. Didn't think they'd pull it back

You'd be pretty pissed off by the refs if you were a PSG fan.
    2 soft penalties, what looked like a certain foul on Di Maria not given for a penalty.
    And 5 minutes of injury time???

But didn't you hear, there is a conspiracy against Barca by referees, it's common knowledge here on Boards!

I wish it had been a better Barcelona performance tbh. PSG were absolutely terrible for a couple of stretches in that game tactically and on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It was a Rocky type comeback .

THey lost the first game badly but came back to KO them out .

jO2otJ.gif

kfallon wrote: »
    What about Di Maria chance at the end, looked a peno to me with Mascherano diving in from behind. Not sure they showed a replay of it (Di Maria should have scored anyway)

I'd need to see the replay, I looked away in disbelief at how poor Di Maria's shot was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

martyos121 wrote: »
    Never underestimate the French in a battle to finish second place from even the strongest positions.

Well Barca had Umtiti and PSG Rabiot and Matiudi. Was that really the deciding factor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

They were penalties.

Barcelona were amazing.

Penalties are literally given for nothing these days, no way was that Suarez one a penalty.

I enjoyed the match unbelievably, but I am entitled to be cynical about that first penalty. They deserved to go through, I am delighted they did, and PSG were like a bunch of amateurs but if I don't think it is a penalty, I don't need to be told to just ignore it!

The first penalty was 100% a penalty.

Regardless that Neymar made a meal of it, which every single professional footballer does nowadays, the defender fell in his way and caused him to change his path and that is a penalty.

Either way, the game had everything and should be just enjoyed and people should celebrate how Barcelona approached it and never gave up.

Just wish people would enjoy games more.
    It's the same how every goal scored nowadays gets analysed here and put down to poor keeper, cheating or poor defending and never great attacking play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Penalties are literally given for nothing these days, no way was that Suarez one a penalty.

https://u.nya.is/zuityl.mp4

Suarez deserves to be banned for that reaction tbh. It's actually disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You can see the pain on Richie's and Brady's face everytime they have to give any compliment to Barca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Anyone know the reasoning behind Neymar taking the 2nd penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

corny wrote: »
    Did anyone else think Di Maria had his ankles clipped when clean through? No one appealed and there was no replay but it looked so obvious.

Have to see the replay but I initially thought it was a cast iron penalty.
    Probably a red card too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

MD1990 wrote: »
    Suarez & Messi were far off their best & Barca still scored 6.

Neymar should tonight that he is a level above Bale & Hazard.

I love watching Neymar when he plays like that, things weren't going his way overall but he just kept at it, his determination dragged Barca back into it and reminded me why I loved him so much in the Brazilian league.

He still has areas of his game to improve, and he still capable of nastiness/diving of course but that is ingrained in his character I feel, he still has such potential to realise even as talented as he already is.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Barca have been arse raped in terms of luck this year...wouldn't begrudge them getting some good fortune at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sorry lads, after the 3rd goal I had to stop posting. I, like a lot of people on here, could sense something special might have been on the cards and I wanted to soak that in. Like everyone, I was deflated after the Cavani goal, Barcelona's response said it all, the play had gone flat, the atmosphere had fizzled out. To do it at all is a miracle, to do it the way they did by having to score 6 is something beyond divinity. I've never witnessed a sporting occasion like that before, we might never again. You'll always remember where you were at that moment when Sergi Roberto put the ball in the Paris net in the 95th minute. No hyperbole in this post, no exaggeration, tonight everyone on this thread should be posting about Gerard Pique who is everything good and right about Barcelona, they should be posting about Mascherano who is an absolutely warrior, they should be posting about Sergio Busquets who held this together tonight in a way that only Busquets can, they should be posting about Neymar who is the superstar to take over from Messi, they should be posting about Sergi Roberto who will have dreamed of a moment like this at the Camp Nou since he was a boy.

Always Mes Que Un Club.

Wont always agree with you, but you're entitled to brag after that.

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Always Mes Que Un Club.

Did you get that novel of yours printed yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

This idea of 'clever' play to win penalties by diving is what's ruining football for me. First penalty was dodgy, second was a joke. All adds to the theatre of modern football I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement