Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Great stuff from Barca obviously, but PSG made Arsenal look like a team of Tony Robbins' in terms of their mental strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Surely Cavani kicked **** out of Di Maria in the dressing room for not squaring that ball to him ? That would have been it.

Unbelievable though, truly one of the best comebacks in history.

Jesus the second penalty. Some of the most brain-dead defending ever, arm, leg contact, never took his eyes off Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Do you believe in miracles?

Sorry lads, after the 3rd goal I had to stop posting. I, like a lot of people on here, could sense something special might have been on the cards and I wanted to soak that in. Like everyone, I was deflated after the Cavani goal, Barcelona's response said it all, the play had gone flat, the atmosphere had fizzled out. To do it at all is a miracle, to do it the way they did by having to score 6 is something beyond divinity. I've never witnessed a sporting occasion like that before, we might never again. You'll always remember where you were at that moment when Sergi Roberto put the ball in the Paris net in the 95th minute. No hyperbole in this post, no exaggeration, tonight everyone on this thread should be posting about Gerard Pique who is everything good and right about Barcelona, they should be posting about Mascherano who is an absolutely warrior, they should be posting about Sergio Busquets who held this together tonight in a way that only Busquets can, they should be posting about Neymar who is the superstar to take over from Messi, they should be posting about Sergi Roberto who will have dreamed of a moment like this at the Camp Nou since he was a boy.

Always Mes Que Un Club.

Ironically, if there was ever a time for hyperbole, tonight is the night.

What a wonderful free kick from Neymar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

RoryMac wrote: »
    2nd one was never a penalty, blatant dive by Suarez

Ignore him honestly. Full of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That Neymar free gets worse and worse from a goalkeeping perspective every time you watch it no effort to stop it, just admired it instead!:D

The composure on Neymar, the presence of mind and the outright skill and deftness to play that ball at the end. A passing of the torch moment tonight? The beginnings perhaps.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

titan18 wrote: »
    https://u.nya.is/zuityl.mp4

Suarez deserves to be banned for that reaction tbh. It's actually disgusting

Stop dramatising. Suarez made a meal of it , as all players do but it was disgustingly stupid defending that gave him Suarez the opportunity to win the penalty that should be blamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Didi hit the nail on the head there about video refs, no one agrees on the 1st penalty (I thought it was a pen for what it's worth) so what happens when you have video refs being inconsistent for these type of instances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Decuc500 wrote: »
    This idea of 'clever' play to win penalties by diving is what's ruining football for me. First penalty was dodgy, second was a joke. All adds to the theatre of modern football I suppose.

Two legs just finished 6-5 and football is being ruined for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That Neymar free gets worse and worse from a goalkeeping perspective every time you watch it no effort to stop it, just admired it instead!:D

The composure on Neymar, the presence of mind and the outright skill and deftness to play that ball at the end. A passing of the torch moment tonight? The beginnings perhaps.

Trapp was very slow to come out for the 6th too but Di Maria cost them big time with that miss tonight.

Dodgy stuff from Trapp all night. Just sayin'.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    This idea of 'clever' play to win penalties by diving is what's ruining football for me. First penalty was dodgy, second was a joke. All adds to the theatre of modern football I suppose.

You don't win friends with salad. Sorry, that's the wrong one. It's simple, referees 99℅ of the time won't make a call unless you hit the deck. I'd be up for a lot of yellow cards for feigning injury or holding one's face for no reason though.

Still no replay of that so Maria chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What a wonderful free kick from Neymar

Hope it isn't forgotten about in the grand scheme of things, an absolute gem if there ever was one. Neymar's rise since he arrived in Barca has been meteoric.

murpho999 wrote: »

If you can't enjoy that game then it's time to switch sports!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

SlickRic wrote: »
    Ironically, if there was ever a time for hyperbole, tonight is the night.

To be honest about it I don't want me to become the topic of the thread, which could happen if I go over the top. It was just the most amazing game and that's what I'd like to talk about tonight and I think everyone else is the same.

I love this club more than anything else, sometimes that might lead to me posting over emotionally, but tonight is one of the best nights of my life.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The butthurt and premature gloating from some in here earlier made this thread a good read tonight.

The first penalty was a clear one, the second one was a dive, but the defender made the dive plausible because he put his arm across Suarez who took advantage to dive and win the penalty.

Amazing comeback though, best I've ever seen given the fact that at 87 mins it was still 3-1 and they needed 3 goals.

Yer man Castro for Dortmund should've got a red for that!

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Trapp was very slow to come out for the 6th too but Di Maria cost them big time with that miss tonight.

Di Maria will Di Maria.

Cavani missing the 1 on 1 at 3-1 looks huge now too, but the tactics from the off, the nerves from the off,the absolute gutlessness of the performance and the constant stupid individual errors let Barca back into the tie and by **** didn't they take advantage!

The collapse of 3 goals at the end is comical, Emery could be sacked at the airport. Unforgivable from him and his team tonight.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Hope it isn't forgotten about in the grand scheme of things, an absolute gem if there ever was one. Neymar's rise since he arrived in Barca has been meteoric.

Amazing to think he's still only 25
    MOTM easily for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's an event that needs to be on front pages tomorrow, not back pages .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The first penalty was 100% a penalty.

Either way, the game had everything and should be just enjoyed and people should celebrate how Barcelona approached it and never gave up.

Just wish people would enjoy games more.
    It's the same how every goal scored nowadays gets analysed here and put down to poor keeper, cheating or poor defending and never great attacking play.

this patronising cr$p doesn't make your argument any stronger!!

The game was unbelievable, I thoroughly enjoyed it, was fantastic but people are entitled to debate pivotal moments like this in between the "WOW"s and the "WHAT A GAME" comments!

There is only1 or 2 people here disappointed PSG went out, even those who disputed the decision were happy to see that 7 minutes at the end unfold as PSG were a cowardly, unprofessional eeg1ts as much as Barca were a thrilling, proud and truly courageous ensemble but games and decisions are there to be analysed also.

The "I wish people were more like me and enjoyed matches more and ignored decisions" cr@p is ridiculous and patronising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Find it funny how much everybody praising Neymar after the 3rd time they've probably watched him play this season. How great he is etc etc.

Everyone I know who watch Barca weekly state he's had a terrible season, but anyway they'll all forget that after that performance.

X2 goal and an assist at the end to get them through. Incredible scenes.

Amazing to think he's still only 25
    MOTM easily for me

Ya, that free was special, it was postage stamp terroritry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Surely Trapp has to save it though. Great strike and whip on it but it almost appeared Trapp thought it was going wide or something. The first goal was way worse though from his perspective, you expect your keeper to claim the original high ball.
    He should have been anticipating that lofted pass for the 6th too once Neymar comes inside and been in a position to clean ball and Roberto out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Nope. Unbelievable entertainment tonight. I loved it. But the way cynical play is resulting in wrong decision IMO is hard to like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Don't think the 2nd was a particularly poor call by the ref.

In real time you could see how he might think there was ankles tripped or thighs smacking together.

You'd need video reffing to know for sure.

Suarez' reaction is neither here nor there.
    He comes across as autistic or something at times, with how he grabs at his face or generally just freaks out with his hands when anything exciting happens.

I thought PSG got away with murder at times during the match as well. They comitted a load of fouls and were lucky to finish the game with 10, never mind 11.

Don't think the ref had a particularly bad game given the circumstances. It looked like a nightmare to officiate.
    Barca probably got away with diving because PSG's tackling was ill-disciplined, while PSG probably got away with their ill-disciplined tackling because Barca were throwing themselves all over the place.

"I've got a woman on from Paris, whats your concern?"

"Oh Joe, où dois-je commencer"

joe-duffy-i.jpg

https://twitter.com/neymarjr/status/839548766634053633

He was right !

''While there is a 1% chance we will have 99% FAITH''

Trapp was ****ing shocking all night tbh

• Advertisement

Surely Trapp has to save it though. Great strike and whip on it but it almost appeared Trapp thought it was going wide or something. The first goal was way worse though from his perspective, you expect your keeper to claim the original high ball.
    He should have been anticipating that lofted pass for the 6th too once Neymar comes inside and been in a position to clean ball and Roberto out of it.
    Never getting it. The power and accuracy he managed to generate at range was something special.
    He didn't even take a long run up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Find it funny how much everybody praising Neymar after the 3rd time they've probably watched him play this season. How great he is etc etc.

Everyone I know who watch Barca weekly state he's had a terrible season, but anyway they'll all forget that after that performance.

X2 goal and an assist at the end to get them through. Incredible scenes.

Was just about to post this. He's been dirt for the majority of the season. Absolutely dreadful at times. Suarez too. Ironically it was Messi, who's probably bailed them out more this season than any other season who was poor tonight. That's the beauty of the game I guess and the beauty of having the best front line of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

"Kevin Trapp" is rhyming slang for his performance tonight :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Trapp was ****ing shocking all night tbh

Yep, he should have done much better with the first, second, the free kick and the last goal. He was very hesitant all night.

Barcelona wanted to go to croke park on paddy's day, they wanted it more than anything in the world.

Looking at Barca tonight though, any compotent side would have seen that game out at 3-1. The fear of the front 3 will always be there but PSG were Sunday league bad.

Cant fault Barcas effort, they wanted it more and took their chances when they came.

Di maria and cavani both missed chances one on one, both can look bad and say what if.

It was still one of the greatest games for drama ive ever seen in my life. When the penalty went you could feel the crowd sucking the ball into the net.

Im not sure who fouled Ter Stegen late but it setup the free kick for the winner, that was criminal foul to give away as PSG were out of the box with a highish line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Psg only have themselves to blame.

3 goals in 7 minutes ? With a sub thrown on to try and waste time in the middle of that ?

Never getting it. The power and accuracy he managed to generate at range was something special.
    He didn't even take a long run up

Ah come on Mick, it was a good free kick, but it was hardly stuck in the top corner, Trapp was in position to save it then he just stopped and did nothing, it looked like he thought it was going wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Burial. wrote: »
    Was just about to post this. He's been dirt for the majority of the season. Absolutely dreadful at times. Suarez too. Ironically it was Messi, who's probably bailed them out more this season than any other season who was poor tonight. That's the beauty of the game I guess and the beauty of having the best front line of all time.

It just didn't look like a night for steady hands, assured touches or the like.

Every pass in the final third was overhit, they overran the ball, crosses went astray.

Barcelona looked like they were bricking it throughout the game as well.

They just needed to keep the ball around the box long enough for PSG to throw it into their own net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well done to Barcellona, but that was a cracker of a goal PSG scored. I was full sure it was all over when I seen that go in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Surprised people aren't blaming Emery there is the guy who made the most mistakes tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Unbelievable from Barca. Not a huge fan of the clubs but that was a serious performance tonight.

Ah come on Mick, it was a good free kick, but it was hardly stuck in the top corner, Trapp was in position to save it then he just stopped and did nothing, it looked like he thought it was going wide.

Sorry Stringer I think otherwise
    It even took a deceiving swerve as it dipped the wall
    Il post it for discussion once it's on twitter

Di Maria should have started. They went straight into bottler, defensive, we are going to lose but"hopefully" not by 4 tonight mode. For a brief period after he came on, they showed a bit of urgency, confidence and professional mentality. Yes he missed a chance but at least he was trying to command offensive play.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Surprised people aren't blaming Emery there is the guy who made the most mistakes tonight

People are, I have and it was mentioned by the studio team aswell.

I am sure there have been others on here other then me also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Burial. wrote: »

Doesn't matter what he's been like all season tbh, his quality is undeniable and when you turn in a performance like he did in the closing stages to drag a result out of the blue, you deserve every bit of credit and your bad games are easily forgotten about. It's like some folks here and trying to find reasons to take away from what just happened. As I've said a million times, I'm no Barcelona fan but that comeback was absolutely special and was inspired by Neymar. If it were Messi or Suarez that stepped up (as they so often do), I'd be praising them just as much.

As you said, it's the beauty of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Wont always agree with you, but you're entitled to brag after that.

Well done

Was AIG playing for Barca tonight?

I think it almost goes without saying that Emery dropped a total clanger tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Anyone know the reasoning behind Neymar taking the 2nd penalty?

Neymar's bet that he'd score two will probably make the headlines in relation to it, but I think it's Messi realising he's playing poorly whereas Neymar looked inspired so he let him have it. Messi has given penalties to him in the past too.

• Advertisement

Was AIG playing for Barca tonight?

I think he was watching Pep draw at home to Stoke. Torn loyalties and all by the Chelsea fan!!

Advertisement