Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Neymar should have been sent off. That's the most significant decision of the match. He was the game changer. But Jesus if you concede six goals in a game you can't really use officiating errors as any sort of excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Turtwig wrote: »
    Neymar should have been sent off. That's the most significant decision of the match. He was the game changer. But Jesus if you concede six goals in a game you can't really use officiating errors as any sort of excuse.

How can you say the game changer should have been sent off and then say you can't use officiating as an excuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Emery should have kept the same 11 as 3 weeks ago and leave that highly over-rated Thiago Silva on the bench instead of Kimpembe who i thought was massive in Paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If those 4 goals happened today, i'd totally agree. That implies being outplayed, and then having to find it within yourself to fight back.

But they happened 3 weeks ago. Today was a totally one sided affair. I'll always prefer a fightback that all actually takes place in one game, where both sides who their mettle in the game. PSG were just garbage today.

Again, totally incredible story, but personally I would rate a comeback higher where the lads out in the field are facing disaster and pull themselves through.

That's not what I mean. I mean in terms of the actual emotional range going on through those 90 minutes. Barca have prepped for this for 3 weeks, coming onto the pitch tonight knowing exactly what to do. Likewise, PSG. Personally I prefer when that journey all takes place in one match. When one side score a few, high on confidence, feeling incredible, while the other side are down in the dumps, and somehow manage to immediately redirect their focus, refuse to fall apart, and come back.

Barcelona made 2 separate comebacks.They got it to 4-3 on aggregate and you think the comeback is on.But they concede again and they need another 3 goals.

To score those last 3 goals in just 6 minutes and to score 6 at goals in the second leg is ridiculous.They made 2 comebacks within the game last night most other great comebacks involve just one recovery.That's why I think it's top of the list.

Barcelona made 2 separate comebacks.They got it to 4-3 on aggregate and you think the comeback is on.But they concede again and they need another 3 goals.

To score those last 3 goals in just 6 minutes and to score 6 at goals in the second leg is ridiculous.They made 2 comebacks within the game last night most other great comebacks involve just one recovery.That's why I think it's top of the list.

And PSG thought 2x they were high and dry.
    Would almost believe they won too big 3 weeks ago to stay focussed.
    Parisian arrogance. (that is capital city arrogance on steroids)

Was Di Maria carrying a knock or why didn't he start? He was brilliant first leg

dfx- wrote: »
    To say the game was settled by the Suarez penalty is nonsense. To fail to defend a four goal lead + an away goal beyond a penalty in the 90th minute is ridiculous.

PSG lost it long before that, the pivotal moments were before that..

Ehh this was pivotal, it was a clear dive

https://twitter.com/allforunited/status/839741398542876673

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

PSG needed a leader who are 2-0 would have dragged them through it. Zlatan springs to mind. Thiago Silva.....lol give me a break..Round your troops up..get a huddle and get your **** together

Well done Barcelona

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

PSG needed a leader who are 2-0 would have dragged them through it. Zlatan springs to mind. Thiago Silva.....lol give me a break..Round your troops up..get a huddle and get your **** together

He would have made absolutely no difference. Motta was a loss although he likely would have accumulated so many fouls he would have been sent off but he'd break up play & with his experience he knows how to slow the game down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Bit like Fred in Germany - Brazil. Touched the ball 4x in 20 mins, 4 kick offs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ehh this was pivotal, it was a clear dive

https://twitter.com/allforunited/status/839741398542876673
    The reality is that the referee could have awarded a penalty when Verrati pulled Messi back in the box but didn't. Some you get and some you don't.
    I still have to re-watch the Di Maria miss, because apparently thst could have been a spotter too, If that had been given and scored (though Cavani would probably have hit the crossbar with it) it would have been game over.

jacool wrote: »
    The reality is that the referee could have awarded a penalty when Verrati pulled Messi back in the box but didn't. Some you get and some you don't.
    I still have to re-watch the Di Maria miss, because apparently thst could have been a spotter too, If that had been given and scored (though Cavani would probably have hit the crossbar with it) it would have been game over.

I'm talking about that specific decision. And he cheated again. He got carded for his first dive and the result should have been the same.
    This type of excuse getting pegged around:
    "Team X did not get penalty in previous incident, oh wait lets dive get one, Justice!"
    It was a wonderful display from Neymar & arguably Messi but not Suarez and he shouldn't be praised for his "performance" last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Shocking, they gave Barca every opportunity to make the comeback. It still took some doing of course, but a bit of composure and control and it wouldn't have been possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Just To rain On the Parade Here.....

The Two penalties were out and out dives ......

Suarez ; Who I like as a player should have been sent off for diving and Neymar a Yellow card .

I only saw the Highlights so I must Ask Did The Referee give Barcelona much more Help....

And I a a casual fan of Barcelona.....but a spade has to be called a spade....

• Advertisement

blinding wrote: »

Suarez ; Who I like as a player should have been sent off for diving and Neymar a Yellow card .

I only saw the Highlights so I must Ask Did The Referee give Barcelona much more Help....

PSG gave the most help but the ref was an able assistant

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Went to bed early last night, only saw the result this morning :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

greendom wrote: »
    PSG gave the most help but the ref was an able assistant
    I only saw ITV highlights so I could only give my opinion on those . I honestly hope that Barcelona deserved it but the highlights didn't look good from a referring point of view.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

blinding wrote: »

And a stonewall peno for PSG in 85th minute not given either (red card for Mascherano too)

kfallon wrote: »
    And a stonewall peno for PSG in 85th minute not given either (red card for Mascherano too)
    So not really one of the greatest comebacks but a shocking Refereeing Display..................................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Does anyone want to save me a huge hassle and link all of Andersonisgod's posts as this unfolded :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

ERG89 wrote: »
    He (Zlatan) would have made absolutely no difference. Motta was a loss although he likely would have accumulated so many fouls he would have been sent off but he'd break up play & with his experience he knows how to slow the game down.

of course he (Zlatan) would have. No way would he stand by and let his teammates play like cowards. He could hold up the ball a bit, alleviate the pressure.
    Out of the present squad, benching Di Maria was a mistake. After he came on, he was the only one that showed a bit of belief and offensive mindset and courage to take some pressure off his team. People will point to the fact that he didn't score that 1 on 1 after Veratti's pass but at least he wanted it played forward, even at 3-1 and almost "certainly" through, he made a smart move. Didn't seek the sideways pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well an unforgettable week of Champions League football
    2nd leg results so far
    Arsenal (ENG) 1 V 5 FC Bayern München (GER) (Agg 2-10)
    Napoli (ITA) 1 V 3 Real Madrid (ESP) (Agg 2-6)
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) 4 V 0 SL Benfica (POR) (Agg 4-1)
    FC Barcelona (ESP) 6 V 1 Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) (Agg 6-5)

Up Next
    Tuesday 14th March

Juventus (ITA) V Porto (POR) (Agg 2-0)
    Leicester City (ENG) V Sevilla (ESP) (Agg 1-2)

Wednesday 15th March
    Atlético Madrid (ESP) V Bayer Leverkusen (GER) (Agg 4-2)
    Monaco (FRA) V Manchester City (ENG) (Agg 3-5)

Quarter Final line up
    FC Bayern München (GER)
    Real Madrid (ESP)
    Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    FC Barcelona (ESP)

Does anyone want to save me a huge hassle and link all of Andersonisgod's posts as this unfolded :)

I don't mind the guy, but I have to block him the next few days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

2nd leg results so far

Up Next
    Tuesday 14th March

Wednesday 15th March

Quarter Final line up
    FC Bayern München (GER)
    Real Madrid (ESP)
    Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    FC Barcelona (ESP)

When's the draw ?
    Ok found it 11.39 CET Fri

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

2nd leg results so far

Up Next
    Tuesday 14th March

Wednesday 15th March

Quarter Final line up
    FC Bayern München (GER)
    Real Madrid (ESP)
    Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    FC Barcelona (ESP)
    Looking like 4 Spain, 2 Germany, 1 Italy and 1 England/France. Probably shows the quality ranking of the leagues in order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

cjmc wrote: »
    When's the draw ?
    after mass on paddies day (literally.... 12 midday european time)

of course he (Zlatan) would have. No way would he stand by and let his teammates play like cowards. He could hold up the ball a bit, alleviate the pressure.

They were murdered in midfield & couldn't get hold of it, Cavani did well tbf. Zlatan would have stood there and watched that like most forwards would. He's Zlatan not Superman.
    Plenty of occasions where PSG were just a commanding position & "cowardly" lost the tie when Zlatan was there. The last 5 seasons I'd argue in 4 of them they should have won the ties. They got beat by a half fit Messi in 2013 when they were in control, lost a 2 goal lead from the first leg to Chelsea the next year & inexplicably lost to City last year who played bad & were well off form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

To say the game was settled by the Suarez penalty is nonsense. To fail to defend a four goal lead + an away goal beyond a penalty in the 90th minute is ridiculous.

PSG lost it long before that, the pivotal moments were before that..

This is nonsense. PSG didn't lose long before that, PSG lost with that last kick of the game. There were an incredible number of pivotal moments and the vast vast majority needed to go Barcelona's way in order for them to overcome a 4 goal deficit. If even 1 of them had not, Barca would be out. So to say the Suarez penalty wasn't pivotal is utterly ridiculous. If the pen isn't given, PSG go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

iroced wrote: »
    The money they spent is irrelevant tonight. Chelsea waited for 10+ years before lifting the big ears Cup. City are doing even worse than PSG (so far). Barça, Bayern, Real... spare no expense for years.

Ehh the Chelsea comparison is very unfair.
    They were actually progressing and they were winning a much tougher league.
    Chelsea were taken over by Abramovich in 2003 AFAIK.
    They reached CL semi finals in 2003/2004 beating Stuttgart and Arsenal on the way.
    Remember this was when Arsenal had invincibles. :(

In 2004/2005 they again reached semi final and beat Barcelona and Bayern Munich on way to CL semi final.
    In 2006/2007 they lost to eventual winners Liverpool in semi final.
    In 2008 they got to final and lost to united.

PSG don't look even likely to do anything.

City is a bit of a fairer comparison, although again they are competing in a much much tougher league.
    iroced wrote: »
    No. PSG problem is to better define their sport project. And at the very first they should look at PSG own history (5 consecutive European semis in the 90ies, 2 finals, 1 Cup and many memorable wins). Instead they think they created "it". When Zlatan said PSG was nothing before his arrival, not only they said nothing but they laughed (in England, these things just could not happen, there is so much more respect for History). When he left they almost made him a statue :rolleyes:... He's "nothing". His stats are meaningless. You have to take into account the context, the opposition, the team he's playing in, etc... Qataris PSG heads think football is like football manager. That is their problem.

PSG has only been in existence for 40 odd years.
    They have no real history, they remind me a bit like Parma in Italy.
    They are not one of the old established clubs.
    Paris has never been a sports man city like other European capitals or major cities.
    Conas wrote: »
    Changing the manager will solve nothing. The PSG players suffered a meltdown, and were shockingly bad. It's the same with Arsenal, getting rid of Wenger will solve nothing either.

What teams like PSG and Arsenal need is a Roy Keane type figure to lead them on the pitch, most of the players playing with Arsenal and PSG need a good kick up the a*se.

As I said 4/5 years ago in Arsenal thread, and was often lambasted for challenging the myth of the great one, the fact the club has no leaders, no tough men of character is all down to the manager and his outlook.
    In Arsenal's case Wenger calls the shots and he decides on players.
    The gutless shirkers are all his men.

In PSG's case I don't know who ultimately makes transfer decisions, but whoever they are they should be fired.
    The David Luiz transfer fee was ridiculous.
    They lost £20 million on him.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

wonski wrote: »
    After what I watched, 3 goals still could happen. Comeback of the year if that happens.

jmayo wrote: »
    They reached CL semi finals in 2003/2004 beating Stuttgart and Arsenal on the way.

In 2004/2005 they again reached semi final and beat Barcelona and Bayern Munich on way to CL semi final.

City is a bit of a fairer comparison, although again they are competing in a much much tougher league.

Paris has never been a sports man city like other European capitals or major cities.

As I said 4/5 years ago in Arsenal thread, and was often lambasted for challenging the myth of the great one, the fact the club has no leaders, no tough men of character is all down to the manager and his outlook.
    In Arsenal's case Wenger calls the shots and he decides on players.
    The gutless shirkers are all his men.

In PSG's case I don't know who ultimately makes transfer decisions, but whoever they are they should be fired.
    The David Luiz transfer fee was ridiculous.
    They lost £20 million on him.

Patrick Kluivert since this season.

I dont know why either.

Some great reactions :P

^
    Dont think i have ever seen Messi that excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Was Di Maria carrying a knock or why didn't he start? He was brilliant first leg
    Yes he was. He had not played since the first leg.

Well done Barcelona
    Out of the present squad, benching Di Maria was a mistake. After he came on, he was the only one that showed a bit of belief and offensive mindset and courage to take some pressure off his team. People will point to the fact that he didn't score that 1 on 1 after Veratti's pass but at least he wanted it played forward, even at 3-1 and almost "certainly" through, he made a smart move. Didn't seek the sideways pass.
    Zlatan would have made no difference. The best PSG game of this Qatari era was the 2-2 at Stamford Bridge where he just managed to get sent off and let his team-mates down to 100 for an hour.
    Last year he had the 1-0 opportunity from the spot kick inthe first leg vs Man City and he missed it. Granted he equalised later but it would have been a much more critical goal to make it 1-0 PSG at home.

I was just comparing the big spending of money that does not guarantee immediate results. Of course the PL is more competitive than L1 but not much PSG can do about it.
    Winning the CL is very dofficult and money is no guarantee. You have to spend it cleverly. And PSG already made several big mistakes. They've been too impatient. Firing Ancelotti & Leonardo was their biggest mistake. As a consequence, they wasted time. Blanc showed his limits at the very top level and now they're starting a new cycle with Emeri. It's gonna take time. Nacer has to learn. PSG is not a toy. He needs to have a mid to long term plan and vision.
    PSG is a young club but you can't say they don't have a real history. They're a well established club in France now and well before the Qataris' arrival. Their best period was the 90ies (Ginola, Rai, Ricardo, Valdo, Weah, Leonardo etc...). 5 European semis in a row! Qatari PSG should remember and learn from that period!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The game was a bit of a farce to be honest

Ridiculous that Barca managed to score 6 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

That's about the worst performance I've ever seen on a football field when you take into account the task at hand... to not concede 4 (or 6!) goals.

Premier league minnows are expert bus parkers who routinely shut out the big boys, and when they don't, they'll lose by the odd goal or 2. Once in a blue moon by 4.

For one of the most expensively assembled teams ever gives up a 4 goal lead to another team that didn't even play that well ,that's absolutely shocking.

I'm delighted though, can't stand these nouveau riche clubs.

Premier league minnows are expert bus parkers who routinely shut out the big boys, and when they don't, they'll lose by the odd goal or 2. Once in a blue moon by 4.

Premier League minnows Man City got beat by 4 there a few months ago. It's not unheard of that they trounce good teams there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

That's about the worst performance I've ever seen on a football field when you take into account the task at hand... to not concede 4 (or 6!) goals.

For one of the most expensively assembled teams ever gives up a 4 goal lead to another team that didn't even play that well ,that's absolutely shocking.

I'm delighted though, can't stand these nouveau riche clubs.

Premier league minnows don't get to play against Barcelona though.Winning a league game is nowhere near as big a motivation as a knockout European tie.What they might do in the league against Man City and the likes in nothing compared to playing Barcelona in a knockout champions league tie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

an awful amount of butt hurt in here after last nights game,of course should their own team have been the 6-1 victors in the same manner they would be heroes .

I know Barca fans are as passionate as they come, but I just wonder, needing 3 goals, did a few of them seep out in the last 6/7 minutes of normal time to beat the rush?

an awful amount of butt hurt in here after last nights game,of course should their own team have been the 6-1 victors in the same manner they would be heroes .

???? More than most people here were delighted at the result, some were still a little peeved with the penalties but even they believed the brave Barca deserved to go through over the cowardly amateurish PSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I know Barca fans are as passionate as they come, but I just wonder, needing 3 goals, did a few of them seep out in the last 6/7 minutes of normal time to beat the rush?

Plenty did, there were several gaps starting to show with about 10 mins to go.

Understandable really, I don't think even the most hardcore fans expected this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm talking about that specific decision. And he cheated again. He got carded for his first dive and the result should have been the same.
    This type of excuse getting pegged around:
    "Team X did not get penalty in previous incident, oh wait lets dive get one, Justice!"
    It was a wonderful display from Neymar & arguably Messi but not Suarez and he shouldn't be praised for his "performance" last night.

You can discuss any number of specific decisions, but they were not the deciding factor in any way.

You just cannot lose 6-1 (or be 4-1 down and all over the place mentally at the time) and blame the referee or blame 'diving'. You cannot blame the referee for PSG losing their heads from the start and looking shellshocked at halftime.

The game and the pressure was too much for them, good to see that Emery apparently didn't fall into the referee trap in post game comments I believe.
    AdamD wrote: »
    This is nonsense. PSG didn't lose long before that, PSG lost with that last kick of the game. There were an incredible number of pivotal moments and the vast vast majority needed to go Barcelona's way in order for them to overcome a 4 goal deficit. If even 1 of them had not, Barca would be out. So to say the Suarez penalty wasn't pivotal is utterly ridiculous. If the pen isn't given, PSG go through.

They lost the game with their approach from the very kickoff, they wilted under the pressure and were all over the place, the first and second goal being prime examples falling over themselves, long before the penalty. A penalty to Barcelona in the 90th minute should've been no more than a consolation goal.

You can discuss any number of specific decisions, but they were not the deciding factor in any way.

You just cannot lose 6-1 (or be 4-1 down and all over the place mentally at the time) and blame the referee or blame 'diving'. You cannot blame the referee for PSG losing their heads from the start and looking shellshocked at halftime.

The game and the pressure was too much for them, good to see that Emery apparently didn't fall into the referee trap in post game comments I believe.

They lost the game with their approach from the very kickoff, they wilted under the pressure and were all over the place, the first and second goal being prime examples falling over themselves, long before the penalty. A penalty to Barcelona in the 90th minute should've been no more than a consolation goal.

I never once said they didn't deserve to go through. They had PSG on the ropes for most of the game.
    I have been posting this since last night.
    But those decisions were huge deciding factors and to claim otherwise is wrong.
    Brushing these huge decisions under the rug because overall they deserved it doesn't cut it.
    If video technology was present in the game would they have qualified?

Examples of Huge moments in the game:
    Was Neymars excellent free kick a deciding factor? Yes it was.
    Was Suarez diving and gaining a penalty for his team which they ended up scoring a deciding factor? Yes it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭josip

Was Suarez diving and gaining a penalty for his team which they ended up scoring a deciding factor? Yes it was.

Brave from Suarez going down so easily for the final penalty.
    He was already on a yellow from his earlier slapstick dive, so he knew that if the ref adjudged this one to be another dive he was off and game over Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I never once said they didn't deserve to go through. They had PSG on the ropes for most of the game.
    I have been posting this since last night.
    But those decisions were huge deciding factors and to claim otherwise is wrong.
    Brushing these huge decisions under the rug because overall they deserved it doesn't cut it.
    If video technology was present in the game would they have qualified?

Not forgetting Mascherano admitting he fouled Di Maria!

Still glad Barca went through though, epic scenes...

josip wrote: »
    Brave from Suarez going down so easily for the final penalty.
    He was already on a yellow from his earlier slapstick dive, so he knew that if the ref adjudged this one to be another dive he was off and game over Barcelona.

Eh, what a ridiculous comment. it was stupid and desperate and, in a way, necessary, but stupidity and desperation, like against Ghana, paid off. Suarez will almost always try to buy a penalty if possible, even if 3-0 up in a league game. The yellow card wasn't playing on his mind.

Brave isn't the correct word for, essentially cheating. The penalty was a penalty but he still cheated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They were quite literally a deciding factor. If they weren't a deciding factor then you're saying Barcelona go through if Suarez doesn't get the pen. That is quite clearly not the case.

Quite a few posts on thus thread about butt hurt. Comes across as petty point scoring.

And of course they would. That's what football is all about

• Advertisement
Advertisement