Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

greendom wrote: »
    Quite a few posts on thus thread about butt hurt. Comes across as petty point scoring.

And of course they would. That's what football is all about

To be honest what I found more irritating were the patronising ""I wish people were more like me and enjoyed matches more and ignored decisions" when the discussion of the penalty incident(s) came up post match!

Every post can't be "wow, what a game", "Neymar is a genious", "wow, this is why I love football"!

As I said last night, in more or less these words, The game was astonishing, even if it had ended 3-1 it would have been a fantastic spectacle, I thoroughly enjoyed it, was fantastic and there is absolutely no doubt in anyones mind, not even the most ardent of PSG fans that Barca deserved to qualify given their approach and courage.

There were, from what I seen, only 1 or 2 people here disappointed PSG went out, even those who disputed the decision were happy to see that 7 minutes at the end unfold as PSG were a cowardly, unprofessional eeg1ts as much as Barca were a thrilling, proud and truly courageous ensemble but games and decisions are there to be analysed also.

I just found that there were too many patronising 1diots who wanted to shut down the penalty discussion by saying, more or less, you aren't a real football fan if you just can't "enjoy" the result and forget everything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Does anyone want to save me a huge hassle and link all of Andersonisgod's posts as this unfolded :)

You'll be disappointed I think. Once Barça got their 3rd goal on the night I stopped posting because the game was too fast and I didn't want to miss a second of it. My brother, unbeknownst to me, did get a video of my reaction to the Sergi Roberto goal and it is everything that you all imagine it'd be.

I don't mind the guy, but I have to block him the next few days!

Well you can't do that, our banter is the lifeblood of this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I just found that there were too many patronising 1diots who wanted to shut down the penalty discussion by saying, more or less, you aren't a real football fan if you just can't "enjoy" the result and forget everything else!

You came out with the most patronising post of the entire thread I thought. And you were the one trying to shut it down saying ''let's leave it there.''
    You will hear discussion over the next few days that will change your mind, trust me. No point "debating" something you aren't (or either I amnt) going to concede! But your interpretation is wrong, trust me! Lets leave it there

Omackeral wrote: »
    You came out with the most patronising post of the entire thread I thought. And you were the one trying to shut it down saying ''let's leave it there.''

Touche!

In my "not much legs to stand on" defence, that was mid game where we were all experts and we had seen merely a couple of replays of the incident, and it, wasn't really going anywhere, in terms of debate at that stage, was it with a game still going on?!

But, as I said, touche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

BT are going to milk every single drop out of that reaction video from the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

All of PSG's goals were legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

So 1 Spanish team through, 2 German and 1 Catalan. Another German or Spanish team guaranteed a spot next next week when Atletico face Bayer, with the potential of 4 La Liga representatives if Sevilla do the business. Far and away the best two leagues at the moment

So 1 Spanish team through, 2 German and 1 Catalan. Another German or Spanish team guaranteed a spot next next week when Atletico face Bayer, with the potential of 4 La Liga representatives if Sevilla do the business. Far and away the best two leagues at the moment

You're really going there.

Owen, Gerrard, and Ferdinand should be ashamed of themselves for celebrating like that. Especially Owen as he's an ex-Real Madrid player.

• Advertisement

764dak wrote: »
    Owen, Gerrard, and Ferdinand should be ashamed of themselves for celebrating like that. Especially Owen as he's an ex-Real Madrid player.

I'm not sure if you are serious here...........

Give over.

He's an ex player but no ties to Madrid. He's from Chester ffs. Maybe they were cheering one of the greatest games of all time and enjoying themselves.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Give over.

He's an ex player but no ties to Madrid. He's from Chester ffs. Maybe they were cheering one of the greatest games of all time and enjoying themselves.

Enjoying PSG getting robbed by refs.

Michael Owen hates PSG, not sure where you have been living if you didn't know that. Rio Ferdinand is still mates with Pique and Suarez and Gerrard skype every day. Gerrard taught Suarez everything he knows about how to dive.

102393.jpg

63542.jpg

Enjoying PSG getting robbed by refs.

Yes, that's what they enjoyed the most.

That video of them jumping up and cheering was actually a Suarez dive.

Michael Owen hates PSG, not sure where you have been living if you didn't know that. Rio Ferdinand is still mates with Pique and Suarez and Gerrard skype every day. Gerrard taught Suarez everything he knows about how to dive.

]

Well done of being that person

Well done of being that person

what person, it is only a joke................ not an anti Liverpool joke, more just tak1ng the p1ss out of the OP's original post. No need to get your knickers in a twist!

what person, it is only a joke................ not an anti Liverpool joke, more just tak1ng the p1ss out of the OP's original post. No need to get your knickers in a twist!

Sure you know yourself how quickly a thread gets derailed here. It's a good thread tbf.

Sure you know yourself how quickly a thread gets derailed here. It's a good thread tbf.

It was hardly derailing the thread. This little to and fro is though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bit late to the party here but I thought it was a phenomenal, unforgettable game. Before the match Emery was talked about as a possible candidate for the Barca job. After that second half display, I think it's now unlikely he will be at either club.

As great a comeback as it was, I thought it was soured by the diving antics of Neymar and Suarez, with the penalty awarded to Suarez being a dreadful call. For me it highlighted the necessity of having technology in the sport. PSG bottled it big time and utterly choked at the end, but they still should have limped over the line imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

You're really going there.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The PSG players apparently attacked by fans on their return at the airport. A capitulation like that is always going to leave a mark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The PSG players apparently attacked by fans on their return at the airport. A capitulation like that is always going to leave a mark
    How did they defend:eek:

Seriously its only a football match....not very serious in Real Life......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Firstly this isn't me being anti Barcelona. I was delighted to see PSG get knocked out and any team that can't hold onto a 4 goal advantage certain don't deserve to progress in the competition.

But there's been a lot of talk lately in the La Liga megathread about how officials favour Real Madrid and are doing their best to prevent Barca from winning the title. And let's face it, most of these posts have come from AndersonIsGod. Minutes after a questionable decision that he see as anti-Barcelona he's onto Boards making all sorts of claims about conspiracies.

Yet not a word from him since the game on Wednesday night about all the decisions that went in favour of Barcelona.
    - The 2nd penalty which I still don't think was a penalty. The first one was a correct call though IMO.
    - The penalty that wasn't given to PSG for Mascherano's tackle on Di Maria.
    - Neymar kicks Marquinhos which was a legitimate sending off offence.

I've said it before that I don't buy into these notions of big conspiracies in football. Decisions balance themselves out over the course of a season usually. I just find it a bit pathetic when people shout and rave about officials being out to get them when a decision goes against their team, yet blatantly ignore wrong decisions when it favours who they support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/09/luis-suarez-dive-barcelona-cheating-psg

Fantastic piece, shows Barca for the cheats they are ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Firstly this isn't me being anti Barcelona. I was delighted to see PSG get knocked out and any team that can't hold onto a 4 goal advantage certain don't deserve to progress in the competition.

But there's been a lot of talk lately in the La Liga megathread about how officials favour Real Madrid and are doing their best to prevent Barca from winning the title. And let's face it, most of these posts have come from AndersonIsGod. Minutes after a questionable decision that he see as anti-Barcelona he's onto Boards making all sorts of claims about conspiracies.

Yet not a word from him since the game on Wednesday night about all the decisions that went in favour of Barcelona.
    - The 2nd penalty which I still don't think was a penalty. The first one was a correct call though IMO.

I've said it before that I don't buy into these notions of big conspiracies in football. Decisions balance themselves out over the course of a season usually. I just find it a bit pathetic when people shout and rave about officials being out to get them when a decision goes against their team, yet blatantly ignore wrong decisions when it favours who they support.

I would have thought the opposite, looks like they are trying their best to have Barca win the league, look at Real Madrids game in hand - being delayed as much as possible so it's meaningless ?

ie when Barca are 6 clear with 3 left to play for ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That match in hand is Celta away.

If anything, that might be a match where Real drop points.Not many places with a higher chance for top teams to drop points.
    If they want to do barca a favour, they will slip that match in asap. But the calender doesnt allow it with Celta still in Europe, the Copa del rey, Real still in Europa and oh joy.... international break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Barca got some decisions on Wednesday they shouldn't have. But isn't that the same with every team?

Does anyone remember Gary Neville saying players are correct to dive, and many soccer fans agreed with him.

"I agree with him, except when the team I dislike do it"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Less about Barca cheating more about Suarez tbh. I did like how he wrote "key international against England" which requires an imagination now. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I'm sorry but I just can't buy into this greatest comeback ever business. Barcelona were distinctly average and Psg just imploded. They were also helped by some seriously dodgy calls which has also tarnished some of the barcelona players for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

100% right BF, and the point I always argue against football conspiracies.

If La Liga is rigged towards Real Madrid, why have they only won 1 of the last 8 league titles? Absolute nonsense and typical of football fans in general.

I think instead bad decisions we see just highlight varying degrees of consistency in referees. They are human after all, who make mistakes, some make more than others.

Just chatting about Real Madrid, I heard a stat on the TV the other night and I thought "they must have got that wrong", so I just checked with their CL results this season.

With the group games and the 1st knockout v Napoli, Madrid have scored 21 goals, and Ronaldo has only got 2 of these. And these were both in Sept in Games 1 & 2 in the group stage.

Thats a shocking stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Can someone tell me why that piece doesn't mention that Verrati pulled Messi's jersey inside the box, when he was getting ready to shoot?
    Can someone tell me why that piece doesn't say that after Verrati was booked he should have been sent off for his next foul?

Every team cheats, every single team.
    I watched 3 games like night and they were falling over like skittles. At one stage I thought poor Ander Herrera had been shot, he went down so quickly. He wasn't on his own either, all 6 teams were at it.
    Its terrible, and until we get referees who actually grow a pair, these preening, overpaid professionals, will keep on doing it.
    I was at under 7 training last weekend and I saw a guy get tackled, go straight down and take a roll. Thankfully the coaches and other players ignored him, but, God it was desperate to watch. And that's the future until these guys get punished - retrospectively if needs be.

Suarez is a nasty piece of work when it comes to feigning injury, he is an expert at it (and before anyone starts, I'm neither a Pool or Utd fan).

If you watch the video slo-mo of his penalty, in the second or two from the defender making contact to him hitting the ground, he holds 3 different parts of his body. First he holds the top of his head, then he moves to his face mid-fall, then finally his hand is on his throat before the hits the deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just chatting about Real Madrid, I heard a stat on the TV the other night and I thought "they must have got that wrong", so I just checked with their CL results this season.

With the group games and the 1st knockout v Napoli, Madrid have scored 21 goals, and Ronaldo has only got 2 of these. And these were both in Sept in Games 1 & 2 in the group stage.

Thats a shocking stat.

There is a weird anomaly that every team he scored against in the competition last season weren't in the group stages this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

jacool wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why that piece doesn't mention that Verrati pulled Messi's jersey inside the box, when he was getting ready to shoot?
    Can someone tell me why that piece doesn't say that after Verrati was booked he should have been sent off for his next foul?

Every team cheats, every single team.
    I watched 3 games like night and they were falling over like skittles. At one stage I thought poor Ander Herrera had been shot, he went down so quickly. He wasn't on his own either, all 6 teams were at it.
    Its terrible, and until we get referees who actually grow a pair, these preening, overpaid professionals, will keep on doing it.
    I was at under 7 training last weekend and I saw a guy get tackled, go straight down and take a roll. Thankfully the coaches and other players ignored him, but, God it was desperate to watch. And that's the future until these guys get punished - retrospectively if needs be.

Pretty much his whole article can be dismissed with this one line. "Professional" football is all about the result, not how you chose to get it. As long as the penalties for being caught cheating are relatively tame in comparison to the rewards, then it will continue.

All he was missing was a picture of Maud Flaunders from that article!! :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

gucci wrote: »
    Pretty much his whole article can be dismissed with this one line. "Professional" football is all about the result, not how you chose to get it. As long as the penalties for being caught cheating are relatively tame in comparison to the rewards, then it will continue.

All he was missing was a picture of Maud Flaunders from that article!! :P

It reads like an article already typed before the game in tone. All it needed was to drop in a couple of examples from the game to illustrate his pre-determined point.

It could be a naive yet righteous article as you say and with a healthy dose of the "other sports don't do it and are great because of it" nonsense thrown in that infests football far too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm sorry but I just can't buy into this greatest comeback ever business. Barcelona were distinctly average and Psg just imploded. They were also helped by some seriously dodgy calls which has also tarnished some of the barcelona players for me.

Every single great comeback involves the team who are in the lead imploding.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

All teams cheat, all players cheat. That's the bottom line. Cheating isn't just confined to the poster boy of diving, it's claiming a corner or goalkick when you know it's not your ball, it's pretending you didn't foul someone or in pre-goaline tech days that the ball didn't cross the line.

When it goes in favour of your team, while you might still call it for what it is, it doesn't bother you much when your team benefits, so there is little point going on about it so much as if only certain teams or players are guilty of it.

blinding wrote: »
    How did they defend:eek:

Seriously its only a football match....not very serious in Real Life......

It's not very serious. That's why Barcelona dive all over the field.

• Advertisement

Looks like the ref will in fact get a clipping for his dreadful performance

Suarez cheating hasn't helped his cause, I'd say if he had sent him off for second dive rather than rewarding them a nonsense penalty he would have been in the clear

http://www.thesportbible.com/football/news-referee-deniz-aytekin-set-to-be-punished-by-uefa-20170310

For all the flack that Barca have taken for supposedly cheating the other night I really hope that from now on every time we see a jersey pull, body check,trip,player being offside deciding to play on etc we hear a load of criticism of them for cheating.

For all the flack that Barca have taken for supposedly cheating the other night I really hope that from now on every time we see a jersey pull, body check,trip,player being offside deciding to play on etc we hear a load of criticism of them for cheating.

Begrudgers! Begrudgers all!

Must be on repeat in here but plenty of praise has been given to Barcalona, but every time someone discusses the clear failings of the referee it's "you no lika da barca"

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Must be on repeat in here but plenty of praise has been given to Barcalona, but every time someone discusses the clear failings of the referee it's "you no lika da barca"

But yet some people keep mentioning that Suarez cheated.What he did is no worse than numerous other incidents that happen in every other game.

But yet some people keep mentioning that Suarez cheated.What he did is no worse than numerous other incidents that happen in every other game.

Pivotal moments which decided the game
    They are obviously going to be discussed the most
    Again this has also been repeated in here

Yeah every team has cheats and gets their share of good and bad decisions.

I think some people just have a shoulder chip about Barcelona or dont like them for whatever reason.

I think some people like to delude themselves into thinking its a grudge everytime the main talking points in the game are discussed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Worst champs league performance I've ever seen, barca were nowhere near their best.

Hope monaco win the ligue 1 now.

My heart says juve (for Buffon) and my head says bayern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Suarez does it all the time though, all the time, I wouldn't want to leave an aul bit of lego lying about the floor with him about.

Advertisement