Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    For all the flack that Barca have taken for supposedly cheating the other night I really hope that from now on every time we see a jersey pull, body check,trip,player being offside deciding to play on etc we hear a load of criticism of them for cheating.

Yeah every team has cheats and gets their share of good and bad decisions.

I think some people just have a shoulder chip about Barcelona or dont like them for whatever reason.

The Mes Que un Club ****ology is what grates me, as if they are some force of moral guidance against evil forces.

But yeah, nobody can claim this isn't what any other team does. Quality players with a great attitude, but the ref/officials were very weak also

Mushy wrote: »
    The Mes Que un Club ****ology is what grates me, as if they are some force of moral guidance against evil forces.

But yeah, nobody can claim this isn't what any other team does. Quality players with a great attitude, but the ref/officials were very weak also

Their motto? I wouldn't take it too literally.

Everton had a Latin motto that translated as Nothing but the best. I think they might have seen sense in recent years and ditched it.

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Their motto? I wouldn't take it too literally.

Everton had a Latin motto that translated as Nothing but the best. I think they might have seen sense in recent years and ditched it.

I find their fans use it as a sense of entitlement, normally a motto is just something that's written down and forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I find their fans use it as a sense of entitlement, normally a motto is just something that's written down and forgotten about.

Haha some craic, sure it was part of the club crest up until a few years ago and still is the club motto. I think you'll also find that quite a few other clubs have a motto still but sure don't let the truth factor into the matter :D

Liamalone wrote: »

Haha some craic, sure it was part of the club crest up until a few years ago and still is the club motto. I think you'll also find that quite a few other clubs have a motto still but sure don't let the truth factor into the matter :D

Oh I know clubs will have a motto, I think you missed the point of what I posted though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Oh I know clubs will have a motto, I think you missed the point of what I posted though

Negative, I realised you found something but I ignored it tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

For all the flack that Barca have taken for supposedly cheating the other night I really hope that from now on every time we see a jersey pull, body check,trip,player being offside deciding to play on etc we hear a load of criticism of them for cheating.
    Its time to move to technology to rule out this cheating where it is possible . If there is a natural stoppage i.e ref has blown for a free , questionable goal, ball gone out of play .

At least we will be getting the correct decisions with some minor disruption to the game .

Cheats benefiting cannot be good for the game long term . Think a bigger Picture than just this one game............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Liamalone wrote: »
    Suarez does it all the time though, all the time, I wouldn't want to leave an aul bit of lego lying about the floor with him about.
    Lego would actually kill Suarez and his death throws might kill any passers by............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

NIMAN wrote: »
    100% right BF, and the point I always argue against football conspiracies.

If La Liga is rigged towards Real Madrid, why have they only won 1 of the last 8 league titles? Absolute nonsense and typical of football fans in general.

I think instead bad decisions we see just highlight varying degrees of consistency in referees. They are human after all, who make mistakes, some make more than others.

Exactly, and unsurprisingly none of those who have been crying about conspiracies against Barcelona in the past (especially Andersonisgod) have replied to the points I made. Either there're burying their heads in the sand when it suits them or know that by responding they'll be engaging in a debate that they know they can't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

I think the Barca one is more related to the being Catalan, the culture that goes with etc.

• Advertisement

I think the Barca one is more related to the being Catalan, the culture that goes with etc.

It is, but they ain't more than a club in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It is, but they ain't more than a club in 2017

Ye...but they kind of are though....

The motto rightly reflects the club's place and importance in Catalan culture and aspirations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Yet they've said they would play in La Liga if Catalunya becomes independent. Money's more important to them than politics.

Money's more important to them than politics.

As in they'd taken a certain amount of cash instead of Independence?

They'd rather play in the league of their oppressor, where there's a conspiracy against them, then play in a Catalan league if Catalunya became independent. Why else would they do that?

They'd rather play in the league of their oppressor, where there's a conspiracy against them, then play in a Catalan league if Catalunya became independent. Why else would they do that?

Oh I get ya. I'd have thought they were separate things, like you could have a country with Independence who play in competitions outside of their country. Seems fine to me.

I could be a million miles off now. But if the premier league said hey Ireland we will let your clubs compete in the our league. Say just one of your team's a year.. we'd be all over that.

Because they've played in La Liga pretty much since the league's creation and are one of the most successful clubs in that league. Because there's no guarantee of a Catalan league. Because football leagues certainly don't define international loyalties given how flexible they are. I hope that's enough.

Catalunya has about eight million people. It's enough to sustain a league. Every country that becomes independent forms their own league. Its not complicated at all.

Why would a club that pushes for independence and complains of mistreatment purely because of that fact continue being part of the league of their oppressors? Why would a club that prides itself on being Catalan reject the chance to lead the way in a Catalan league amd continue to play with the country they fought to separate from?

Catalunya has about eight million people. It's enough to sustain a league. Every country that becomes independent forms their own league. Its not complicated at all.

Why would a club that pushes for independence and complains of mistreatment purely because of that fact continue being part of the league of their oppressors? Why would a club that prides itself on being Catalan reject the chance to lead the way in a Catalan league amd continue to play with the country they fought to separate from?

To play at the top level in that region. Sure maybe they won't be allowed in anyway, why would a league let a team in etc. So it'll be grand.

I doubt many teams turn down the opportunity to play in top level leagues though. Maybe they do?

• Advertisement

To play at the top level in that region. Sure maybe they won't be allowed in anyway, why would a league let a team in etc. So it'll be grand.

I doubt many teams turn down the opportunity to play in top level leagues though. Maybe they do?

But with that top league comes big money, that's where a large irony sets in towards the motto.

That's what the CL is for.

But with that top league comes big money, that's where a large irony sets in towards the motto.

I think we're discussing different things. I'll bow out.

Ultimately I think the issue is that you don't understand the origin of the motto or the history that it represents. There's so many books that discuss the topic and the part of FC Barcelona in the time of Franco that might answer your fixation with the motto.

In terms of a league it's firstly a bit silly anyway to speak about a football league that doesn't yet exist in a countrt that has not yet gained independence. Discounting Barcelona's historical and present day contribution to La Liga is also far too aloof and will obviously be given serious weight. That's not mentioning things like finances or remaining competitive at the highest level of Europe. If we are discussing leagues that don't yet exist I'm personally looking forward to the European super league that'll eventually come into existence.

Ultimately I think the issue is that you don't understand the origin of the motto or the history that it represents. There's so many books that discuss the topic and the part of FC Barcelona in the time of Franco that might answer your fixation with the motto.

In terms of a league it's firstly a bit silly anyway to speak about a football league that doesn't yet exist in a countrt that has not yet gained independence. Discounting Barcelona's historical and present day contribution to La Liga is also far too aloof and will obviously be given serious weight. That's not mentioning things like finances or remaining competitive at the highest level of Europe. If we are discussing leagues that don't yet exist I'm personally looking forward to the European super league that'll eventually come into existence.

No I've acknowledged the motto is fine, just not in 2017.

It's well off topic by now, we'll be going round in circles on this all day in no agreement. Players like Messi suarez and neymar are best seen on the big stage PSG didn't deserve to go through on the performance the last night. It also doesn't mean Barcelona are infallible though.

No I've acknowledged the motto is fine, just not in 2017.

It's well off topic by now, we'll be going round in circles on this all day in no agreement. Players like Messi suarez and neymar are best seen on the big stage PSG didn't deserve to go through on the performance the last night. It also doesn't mean Barcelona are infallible though.

I absolutely dont think Barcelona are infallible, I'm sure I never claimed that and will be tested massively in this competition and in the league. Though I agree about the circles and the off topic nature of it so I'm bowing out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

European "Super League"...........the thoughts of it make me SICK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Tuesday 14th March
    Juventus (ITA) V Porto (POR) (Agg 2-0)
    Leicester City (ENG) V Sevilla (ESP) (Agg 1-2)

Wednesday 15th March
    Atlético Madrid (ESP) V Bayer Leverkusen (GER) (Agg 4-2)
    Monaco (FRA) V Manchester City (ENG) (Agg 3-5)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Juventus and leicester to prevail hopefully.

• Advertisement

So much positivity about Leicester's potential to go through tonight that I'm not really understanding. Sevilla 3-1 on the night.

Leicester to go through without a shadow of a doubt, no bout a doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Sevilla to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Pep Guardiola made a mistake. He should have lent Nasri to a Premier League team and then he would help take points off rivals. He would be funny if City meet Sevilla and Nasri has MVP-like performances.

MD1990 wrote: »

why??? Vardy was one of the harder working players this season for Leicester. It just wasn't working for him. The media are drip feeding a lot of nonsense and people have well and truly bought into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I never liked Liecester anyway so I'm hoping Seville trounce them, the 2-1 didnt reflect how dominant Seville were in the first leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm hoping Leicester get a hiding tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Come on Seville 2-1 to them on the night. 4-2 Ag

Come on leicester, silence the insolent doubters, you can do it!

Waterboy-You-Can-Do-It.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Nasri lucky that was a yellow. Borderline red imo.

Dirty by Nasri

Simpson can feel aggrieved there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Goal Leicester! :)

Jamaican me crazy!!

hmmmmm...........interesting..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Will there be salt 'n vinegar tears from Sevilla fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Well done Leicester :)

They still will need at least one more. Sevilla will score surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Can see plenty of goals in this match

• Advertisement
Advertisement