Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

IF Leicester don't go through Vardy can only look at himself. Two excellent chances wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Jesus, bad miss by Vardy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Vardy complete one season wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Have to wonder if Leicester should just keep a hold of the ball in safe areas when they get it instead of breaking and losing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Hold..hold...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

monkey9 wrote: »
    Why, he hadn't already been booked? Both players got yellows.
    Yes, I suppose you've a point. If Vardy was South American and playing for Barca, he'd be getting pelters on here. EPL fanboys can stop complaining about Barca and Real and "continental European" teams and their gamesmanship. A masterclass in gamesmanship from Vardy tonight. He doesn't have the same level of talent to go with his gamesmanship though.

Oh Vardy you plank, that's an awful awful miss.

Brilliant from Mahrez.

Bah, I really like Leicester, but I reaaallllyyy dislike Vardy :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Leicester defend in their own box like they are a man down. Sevilla free men and overlaps everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Vardy bottled that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Leicester bench is celebrating already. Might regret that.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Yes, I suppose you've a point. If Vardy was South American and playing for Barca, he'd be getting pelters on here. EPL fanboys can stop complaining about Barca and Real and "continental European" teams and their gamesmanship. A masterclass in gamesmanship from Vardy tonight. He doesn't have the same level of talent to go with his gamesmanship though.

I dunno about that, I think Vardy is fairly well recognised as being a dick..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

elefant wrote: »
    Do you ever get the feeling that Leicester are inexorably going to win the champions league?
    Behave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

7 sides are licking their lips at facing this Leicester side.

Fair f**ks to them though, its some story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Leicester have been superb all night. They've dealt with the tie perfectly. Excellent stuff from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Every team will want to draw them.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought Barca would be terrified of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A Shakespearean tragedy for Sevilla.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    7 sides are licking their lips at facing this Leicester side.

Fair f**ks to them though, its some story.

Meh that's what sevilla said
    Never rule out anyone in the cl, especially this far in

Relegation strugglers from the Premier League beat the 3rd placed team from LA Liga. The era of top class Spanish domestic football is over. Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Raneiri just gonna be forgotten makes my stomach turn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Masterclass, never doubted them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ref was excellent I thought.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

elefant wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up. I thought Barca would be terrified of them.

They aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Funny how they did not care about qualifying for it next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Leicester officially one of the best 8 sides in Europe this season. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Funny how they did not care about qualifying for it next season.

Maybe they're just planning to qualify again next season by winning it outright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

callaway92 wrote: »

no he won't????

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Meh that's what sevilla said
    Never rule out anyone in the cl, especially this far in

Era Sevilla have been dire this leg but the first leg should have been 3 or 4 - 0 they were just very complacent.

Anything is possible but the last 7 are better than Sevilla again and Leicester have another huge test coming up.

Not that theyll care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Leicester City, Champions of England, are now in the quarter final of the Champions League. If you had told me that a few years ago that this would be the case in 2017, i actually would believe you, but i'd just assume they'd done a Chelsea or Man City and become a billionaire's plaything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ranieri wouldn't have gotten that result, no matter the reason, this shows it was the correct decision to sack him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The people who are saying Leicester can't win the Champions League are the same people who said at Christmas last season that they couldn't win the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

3rd best team in Spain?

1-up for the EPL tonight, totally outfought

The TV3 host is awful. I imagine he preps up for these shows by reading Balls.ie and The Sun.

Be interesting if Leicester do a Di Matteo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So if Leicester win the CL and utd win the EL and both finish outside the top 4 does that mean 6 sides from the PL will be in the CL next season?

monkey9 wrote: »
    Leicester City, Champions of England, are now in the quarter final of the Champions League. If you had told me that a few years ago that this would be the case in 2017, i actually would believe you, but i'd just assume they'd done a Chelsea or Man City and become a billionaire's plaything.

Well Leicesters owner has about 3 billion in the bank so........

• Advertisement

So if Leicester win the CL and utd win the EL and both finish outside the top 4 does that mean 6 sides from the PL will be in the CL next season?

No, Only the top 3 in the League would qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I dunno, the chance was there for Sevilla to kill it in the first leg where they were so much better and opened up Leicester so often but conceding the away goal was pivotal. 2 penalties missed, a stupid red card on Nasri's part when the heat was being turned up, a flat team performance tonight that was several notches below the levels they were at previously this season. Sampaoli's Sevilla side are a great watch so it's a shame they didn't go through, but you can't make the mistakes they made over 2 legs and expect quarter finals of the CL. Also on the downside you just know Real Madrid will draw Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Agreed. It leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Similar to Chelsea this season, compared to last. The two sets of players got their previous managers the sack. I have no time for Mourinho,but he (and Ranieri) were shafted by their players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Maybe they're just planning to qualify again next season by winning it outright :D

No hope
    But they had no hope of winning league last season either. This could be an unreal story if they do go and win this.
    It's possible, they will need luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

no, 4th miss out, there can only be 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't think they would have won with Ranieri in the last 3 games.

There was obviously somethig wrong that has been fixed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

Haha Souness was spot on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Haha Souness was spot on there.

what did he say?

Quazzie wrote: »
    The people who are saying Leicester can't win the Champions League are the same people who said at Christmas last season that they couldn't win the league.

60db6425e4363b753c7581a4ad1a691b.jpg

Do you honestly really think they can?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The TV3 host is awful. I imagine he preps up for these shows by reading Balls.ie and The Sun.

Ya know, I've heard bits of him on the likes of off the ball and he comes across well, seems well read with well thought out opinions. Appears on TV3, comes across as a gob****e. Might say more about TV3 than him tbh.

No fan of Leicester, but Sevilla only have themselves to blame, missed 2 penalties so don't deserve to go through. Had they really nobody better than Nzonzi to take a penalty FFS.

The change in form bothers me, but Ranieri will never be forgotten for what he did. His legacy is very much safe. The acrimony around him leaving is what will likely fade, with only fondness and respect left for what he accomplished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't think they would have won with Ranieri in the last 3 games.

There was obviously somethig wrong that has been fixed now.

The fact you can 'fix' something in 3 or less games with the exact same players playing says more about modern players than it does about any problems there supposedly was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sevilla been cack of late. That said they should have comfortably won that tie. Delighted for Leicester. Juventus or atleti next and they've got every chance of making a semi.

Vardy actually turned the momentum of the game at a crucial moment. Like Suarez last week another example of unsporting conduct being rewarded. Makes for brilliant drama though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Corholio wrote: »
    The fact you can 'fix' something in 3 or less games with the exact same players playing says more about modern players than it does about any problems there supposedly was.
    I think you have a point. They clearly downed tools to get rid of him. It shows that players have more power now than ever. That may backfire at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Even if they win the CL it's tainted Don't think they have the neutral support they once had, The way the players behaved is still a disgrace them winning doesn't change that

• Advertisement
Advertisement