Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Guardiola started with an advantage, City hadn't gone to shít before he took over.

They still, like Utd need a major overhaul IMO.

Next season will tell a lot for both. If both are 3rd and 6th this time next year without much improvment, theres issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bloody love Eamo rants

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Guardiola started with an advantage, City hadn't gone to shít before he took over.

Ok based on that comment I'm gonna stop talking to you now. They finished level on points in the league last season! Also I'm sick of talking about a non CL team in the CL superthread. Same thing with Man Utd Boards, who always only want to talk about Man Utd, you'd swear it was Man Utd that City were playing out there based on some comments on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Absolute nievity from Pep!!

Mind boggling idiotic tactics and lineup. This is why if he doesn't have the players to keep the ball for 80% of the game then his teams fail miserably.

One trick pony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ah seriously? I'm on BT. What did he say?

Guess! It involves words like Pep, media nonsense, football hipsters, messiah, hype.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Headshot wrote:
    Bloody love Eamo rants

The boys must be sick of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm also adding my voice to detesting the away goal rule. Arguably the most nonsensical of all football rules.

It wasn't in yesteryear when travelling across Europe, wherever it was, was a real chore and stadiums could be properly intimidating.

In the modern times of private jets and stadiums that aren't that hostile, it's an utterly stupid rule to still have. Its at least 10/15 years out of date.

Guess! It involves words like Pep, media nonsense, football hipsters, messiah, hype.... :D

If I've rattled Dunphy then my life will have basically peaked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya its always grated on me. No matter how many subs/goals its 3mins.

If theres an injury you might get 4.

Or if Barca involved and need a goal it's 7 ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What the hell happened to Dunphy's eye? Did someone give him a pelt?

shOPZgjrUkjuM.gif

He has a drinking problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Even bigger credit to Leonardo Jardim who has coached a multi-faceted monster, from a skilled defensive unit capable of breaking quick last season to being a wonderfully progressive side this season

Thats perfect then, he's even right there in the stadium now, Pep can ask him directly if he could spare an hour or two to run through some simple defensive drills that City could start working on for next season.

This could be just the break that Pep was waiting for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SlickRic wrote: »
    It wasn't in yesteryear when travelling across Europe, wherever it was, was a real chore and stadiums could be properly intimidating.

In the modern times of private jets and stadiums that aren't that hostile, it's an utterly stupid rule to still have. Its at least 10/15 years out of date.

I think it's brilliant. One goal and everything is flipped on its head. You think you're heading through but in seconds you could be in the depths of despair. There aren't many sports that can compete with it for edge-of-the-seat drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

2nd leg results
    Juventus (ITA) 1 V 0 Porto (POR) (Agg 3-0)
    Leicester City (ENG) 2 V 0 Sevilla (ESP) (Agg 3-2)
    Atlético Madrid (ESP) 0 V 0 Bayer Leverkusen (GER) (Agg 4-2)
    Monaco (FRA) 3 V 1 Manchester City (ENG) (Agg 6-6) Monaco (FRA) win on away goals

Quarter Final line up
    FC Bayern München (GER)
    Real Madrid (ESP)
    Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    FC Barcelona (ESP)
    Juventus (ITA)
    Leicester City (ENG)
    Atlético Madrid (ESP)
    Monaco (FRA)

So once again I'll be rooting for Juventus or well mainly Allegri. Maybe though I shouldn't cause that always seems to put a hex on them. Would be happy if Luis Enrique won another european trophy too but given the way some Barca fans act towards him would have mixed feelings over that club winning it. Ancellotti I would never begrudge anything; class act. Anyway my preferred draw:

Bayern Barca
    Leicester Dortumund
    Monaco Atletico
    Real Juve

Thats perfect then, he's even right there in the stadium now, Pep can ask him directly if he could spare an hour or two to run through some simple defensive drills that City could start working on for next season.

This could be just the break that Pep was waiting for!

They also let in 6, so probably not the best plan.

Turtwig wrote: »
    So once again I'll be rooting for Juventus or well mainly Allegri. Maybe though I shouldn't cause that always seems to put a hex on them. Would be happy if Luis Enrique won another european trophy too but given the way some Barca fans act towards him would have mixed feelings over that club winning it. Ancellotti I would never begrudge anything; class act. Anyway my preferred draw:

Bayern Barca
    Leicester Dortumund
    Monaco Atletico
    Real Juve

Barca are drawing Juventus or Atletico. Real Madrid are drawing Leicester. Enjoy the quarter finals.

I think it's brilliant. One goal and everything is flipped on its head. You think you're heading through but in seconds you could be in the depths of despair. There aren't many sports that can compete with it for edge-of-the-seat drama.

Great for drama. Makes little sense from a purely sporting perspective.

Logically it's a silly rule but drama wise it's brilliant. Last week's comeback would have been boring as hell if Cavani's away goal didn't count as such.

Eamonn Dunphy is an embarrassment. Same old jaded rants with the same old targets of John Stones and Pep. Loves to come out at the end of games with bombastic and controversial "analysis". Speaks as if he is an oracle of the game. Trying to be controversial and sensationalise everything.

Also ridiculous that he was left on air looking like he had been in a pub brawl. Don't think you'd see that on BBC and Sky.

Great for drama. Makes little sense from a purely sporting perspective.

Viewers drive ratings, ratings drive revenue. Take the away goal out of tonight and it's not nearly as exciting. So long as neutrals keep enjoying games like this the goal rule will stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

That has to be the best round of 16 in years. Loving the champions league this year it's brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Also ridiculous that he was left on air looking like he had been in a pub brawl. Don't think you'd see that on BBC and Sky.

He hasn't a bloody nose now. I wish they tried to hide it with a load of make up :pac:
    He can wear that dress he said he'd wear if England beat Italy iirc

Eamonn Dunphy is an embarrassment. Same old jaded rants with the same old targets of John Stones and Pep. Loves to come out at the end of games with bombastic and controversial "analysis". Speaks as if he is an oracle of the game. Trying to be controversial and sensationalise everything.

No you wouldn't see it on BBC or Sky and that's why I watch him.

I don't see how you can disagree with him tonight.

Nothing embarrassing about him, he speaks his mind and doesn't hold back which is much better than bland British coverage.

Also, he has an eye infection of some sort, no reason for him not to be on TV.

The problem isn't the controversy aspect because I do believe that you should say correct things even if it's uncomfortable to say, and the problem isn't his eye even though it's gross, the problem is that in 24 hours time you'll be able to find almost a dozen free print analysis of that game tonight that are so much more advanced and aware of its two subjects than Dunphy's wild rantings tonight.

Thing is but for that one set piece Pep got his team spot on that second half. If they could convert opportunities there'd be even less of an issue. Still though can't deny City have struggled at set pieces. Odd too considering his Barca 2010 side has a record for fewest goals % conceded from set plays iirc. Set a similar record with Bayern too so he can't be a bad defensive coach at set plays? This season though is definitely putting merit to the argument though that he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I did tell everyone Monaco were certs to go through. I was surprised City scored though. Shame Monaco took their foot off the pedal and only upped it again when they conceded. 6-6 flattered City overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Manchester clubs have the wrong managers they need to swap is that what Dunphy is saying?

I did tell everyone Monaco were certs to go through. I was surprised City scored though. Shame Monaco took their foot off the pedal and only upped it again when they conceded. 6-6 flattered City overall

Monaco never really upped it though. 6-6 Flatted Monaco just as much as it did City. Neither side seems capable of defending imo.

murpho999 wrote: »
    No you wouldn't see it on BBC or Sky and that's why I watch him.

I don't see how you can disagree with him tonight.

Nothing embarrassing about him, he speaks his mind and doesn't hold back which is much better than bland British coverage.

Also, he has an eye infection of some sort, no reason for him not to be on TV.

What makes him such an authority on things? He speaks as if he is all knowing. He had an undistinguished football career and the only reason he's on RTE is for his rants. Like himself it's all getting very old in this day and age. Time to retire Eamonn.

Thing is but for that one set piece Pep got his team spot on that second half. If they could convert opportunities there'd be even less of an issue. Still though can't deny City have struggled at set pieces. Odd too considering his Barca 2010 side has a record for fewest goals % conceded from set plays iirc. Set a similar record with Bayern too so he can't be a bad defensive coach at set plays? This season though is definitely putting merit to the argument though that he is.

He's an excellent set piece coach, always has been, which is particularly impressive given the average height of his Barça team and this City team. The high line, statistically, yields dividends over the course of a season, just unlucky that, at a key moment in the game tonight, it failed. I do think the goalkeeping situation hasn't helped the set piece situation this season though.

• Advertisement

They weren't dead certs to go through ffs. They were 2 goals down going into the match.

He's an excellent set piece coach, always has been, which is particularly impressive given the average height of his Barça team and this City team. The high line, statistically, yields dividends over the course of a season, just unlucky that, at a key moment in the game tonight, it failed. I do think the goalkeeping situation hasn't helped the set piece situation this season though.

But the line doesn't appear to have been the problem. Stones and Kolarov were just at sea. It could have been a different Monaco player that scored. Pep always had terrific defenders, now he doesn't. Does he understand that some players might not actually understand or be able to implement the more statistical orientated approach. Reminded of an interview Rafa gave explaining his issues with getting Liverpool to adapt the hybrid zonal man marking at set pieces that he wanted. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Rio talking abiut getting punished.

He did see City missing chance after chance??

What makes him such an authority on things? He speaks as if he is all knowing. He had an undistinguished football career and the only reason he's on RTE is for his rants. Like himself it's all getting very old in this day and age. Time to retire Eamonn.

He's a journalist as well (in general and sports) and has been analysing for over 30 years and well experienced.

He's not saying he's all knowing, he's offering his opinion and asking questions that will not be asked on other stations.

No need for the ageist remarks either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The damage was done in the first half though. That opening 20 minutes or so did for us. They were at our throats from the off, aided and abetted by our (non)defending. Best of luck to Monaco; they're a very good side.

murpho999 wrote: »
    He's a journalist as well (in general and sports) and has been analysing for over 30 years and well experienced.

He's not saying he's all knowing, he's offering his opinion and asking questions that will not be asked on other stations.

No need for the ageist remarks either.

Watching him trying to use that touchscreen analysis thing is laughable as well. He's a dinosaur and was never really any good as an analyst. But his tirades get people excited so RTE shove him onto the panel next to legends like Hamann and Duff (who are far more reasoned and considered in their remarks). God only knows what they think of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ok based on that comment I'm gonna stop talking to you now. They finished level on points in the league last season! Also I'm sick of talking about a non CL team in the CL superthread. Same thing with Man Utd Boards, who always only want to talk about Man Utd, you'd swear it was Man Utd that City were playing out there based on some comments on here.

If you don't want to speak about United why bring them up? City were 3 points off top when it was announced Manuel was leaving and they went on to lose 5 and draw 4 of their last 14 games. Players went on holidays in Feb.

But the line doesn't appear to have been the problem. Stones and Kolarov were just at sea. It could have been a different Monaco player that scored. Pep always had terrific defenders, now he doesn't. Does he understand that some players might not actually understand or be able to implement the more statistical orientated approach. Reminded of an interview Rafa gave explaining his issues with getting Liverpool to adapt the hybrid zonal man marking at set pieces that he wanted. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I know Dunphy is talking about Guardiola not working on set pieces in training but that couldn't be further from the truth, his team work on them religiously and that work was backed up heavily by the impressive set piece records of his 2 previous clubs. In an ideal world Kolarov isn't the centre back in a key last 16 game, it's a big defender who is more apt at playing under the high ball, or maybe the keeper is more commanding but ultimately I thought it was a wonderful delivery and header.

I think this could be the catalyst for City to drop off the cliff and finish outside the top 4.

It has to be hard taking a 2 goal lead to Monaco, scoring away from home and still going out.

I know Dunphy is talking about Guardiola not working on set pieces in training but that couldn't be further from the truth, his team work on them religiously and that work was backed up heavily by the impressive set piece records of his 2 previous clubs. In an ideal world Kolarov isn't the centre back in a key last 16 game, it's a big defender who is more apt at playing under the high ball, or maybe the keeper is more commanding but ultimately I thought it was a wonderful delivery and header.

But then why not play Otamendi who is a strong header of the ball and decent at set pieces. It's seems contradictory to harp on about set pieces and leave arguably the best defensive header of a ball on the bench...

Or bring on Yaya for the same reason for the last 20

But then why not play Otamendi who is a strong header of the ball and decent at set pieces. It's seems contradictory to harp on about set pieces and leave arguably the best defensive header of a ball on the bench...

Because this was 90 minutes of football and set pieces is only a part of that? Because maybe he thought Kolarov was better suited to the 1 vs 1 style of defending that occured a lot in the first leg? Because maybe he wanted a left footed passer at LCB? Because maybe it's well and good saying in hindsight "should've played Otamendi to deal with set pieces" after they concede a set piece goal but it's completely disregarding the many other aspects of the game that aren't set pieces that Guardiola deemed Kolarov better suited to handle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

They weren't dead certs to go through ffs. They were 2 goals down going into the match.

Would ye stop. Of course they were. City should have been 4-1 down at home when Monaco missed the penalty and a heap of chances in the first half the last day. City then hit a purple patch with the stadium behind them and got on roll, that can happen in football on any given day. Unlikely luck will bail you out twice in a row, although Monaco's complacency nearly saved them tonight

Because this was 90 minutes of football and set pieces is only a part of that? Because maybe he thought Kolarov was better suited to the 1 vs 1 style of defending that occured a lot in the first leg? Because maybe he wanted a left footed passer at LCB? Because maybe it's well and good saying in hindsight "should've played Otamendi to deal with set pieces" after they concede a set piece goal but it's completely disregarding the many other aspects of the game that aren't set pieces that Guardiola deemed Kolarov better suited to handle.

OR maybe he was wrong and the result backs that up.
    Anyway, good night, dry your eyes. You still have Barcelona to root for and Chelsea in the league

Your perseverance will surely allow you to celebrate at least one trophy this season .

OR maybe he was wrong and the result backs that up.
    Anyway, good night, dry your eyes. You still have Barcelona to root for and Chelsea in the league

Your perseverance will surely allow you to celebrate at least one trophy this season .

Why ask a football question and then totally ignore a football answer? What's my motivation to ever take you seriously or talk football with you in a way that isn't "my da is bigger than your da" style again?

Why ask a football question and then totally ignore a football answer? What's my motivation to ever take you seriously or talk football with you in a way that isn't "my da is bigger than your da" style again?
    Why ask for detailed squad pricing in last night's thread only to be given it and then question it. Why would anyone take you seriously when all you do is constantly change the goal posts.

My point stands he got it BADLY wrong tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Oh the butt hurt.

Would ye stop. Of course they were.

City should have been 4-1 down at home when Monaco missed the penalty and a heap of chances in the first half the last day. City then hit a purple patch with the stadium behind them and got on roll, that can happen in football on any given day. Unlikely luck will bail you out twice in a row, although Monaco's complacency nearly saved them tonight

Surely you are taking the p1ss here!!

You honestly think Monaco, 2 goals down going into that game against a side nearing 2 months unbeaten were certs to go through! Yes they still had a decent chance of going through but a team that concedes 5 goals in a first leg is hardly a f'in team that should be nailed as "certs" to progress!!

:rolleyes:

Why ask for detailed squad pricing in last night's thread only to be given it and then question it. Why would anyone take you seriously when all you do is constantly change the goal posts.

To analyse the sources and check the validity of the claims made. One poster literally looked into one claim (Phil Jones) and the whole thing came crumbling down, so that's why.

Did he? They were the better team 2nd half, conceded a set piece and lost on the away goals. Were there issues? Sure. But to talk only about Pep and not about Jardim's Monaco is to expose someone with a clear as day agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Do they?:pac:

To analyse the sources and check the validity of the claims made. One poster literally looked into one claim (Phil Jones) and the whole thing came crumbling down, so that's why.

Did he? They were the better team 2nd half, conceded a set piece and lost on the away goals. Were there issues? Sure. But to talk only about Pep and not about Jardim's Monaco is to expose someone with a clear as day agenda.

Just like you talk about Real Madrid getting decisions and not about Barca getting same when you revert to La Liga Conspiracy Theory Mode :D

Sorry, had to...........you left yourself exposed there. :D;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

No it didn't. Stop lying and also crying about ManUtd on every thread. Your obsession with ManUtd is stronger than you love for multiple clubs.

Since you love nice facts, here is one. Pep Guardiola took over a team that were semi finalists last season, added around 180 Million pounds worth of talent and Knocked out in round of 16.

Revolutionary manager who still uses **** full backs used by "past it" Wenger 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement