Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Omackeral wrote: »
    Nah it's two on each night. 11/12 of April and 18/19 of April.

Best go out by a second big screen then :D:D

ERG89 wrote: »
    You obviously haven't seen them play :p

no, never at all........ I can guarantee you the same defensive nonsense won't materialise in this tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Very exciting I must say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Dortmund-Monaco is going to be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Most exciting looking group of quarter final fixtures i have ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

****ing delighted that real madrid got bayern. Adiós Madrid!!

ricero wrote: »
    Most exciting looking group of quarter final fixtures i have ever seen

2015 wasn't bad.........

Paris Saint-Germain v Barcelona
    Atlético Madrid v Real Madrid
    Porto v Bayern Munich
    Juventus v Monaco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

2015 wasn't bad.........

Paris Saint-Germain v Barcelona
    Atlético Madrid v Real Madrid
    Porto v Bayern Munich
    Juventus v Monaco

Those ties were all **** though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

no, never at all........ I can guarantee you the same defensive nonsense won't materialise in this tie.

Why do you think Monaco will change it up this tie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think that's a decent draw for Leicester all things considered. Monaco - Dortmund will be a cracking tie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Best draw for Leicester imo based on playstyles. Atleti being struggling all season up front and their defence ain't what it used to be.

Could be a very boring match though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Turtwig wrote: »
    Best draw for Leicester imo based on playstyles. Atleti being struggling all season up front and their defence ain't what it used to be.

Could be a very boring match though. :(

I agree, I think every other team left would have steamrolled Leicester, although it could happen that's not really Atletico's style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Juve, Bayern, Monaco and Leicester in the semis.

I thought the semi-final draw is made at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Turtwig wrote:

The difference will be the likes of Saul, Koke, Griezmann & Godin are a big step up from Nasri, Nzonzi, Ben Yedder & Rami. Sevilla as bad as they were should have still knocked them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Sevilla ahead of Atleti in the league and Atleti have struggled against weaker teams in the league all season. Far from straightforward, especially after seeing how they disposed of Sevilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

A perfect draw. All crackers of matches. I think Leicester can go through against Atleti too, there won't be many goals.

Sevilla ahead of Atleti in the league and Atleti have struggled against weaker teams in the league all season. Far from straightforward, especially after seeing how they disposed of Sevilla.

They seem to be playing much better in Europe though.

I wonder if maybe they are not fully focused on the league anymore and are going all in for europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I doubt Athletico Madrid will play as poorly as Sevilla did

Sevilla really should have won that 1st leg 4 nothing. Only themselves to blame..
    Regarding the second leg, they weren't as abysmal as many are saying either. Bit below their own standards, especially when it comes to cup football which they thrive in. But are their standards that high either to the point of near certainties against Leicester?

It was a fascinating game and I genuinely wouldn't mind watching it again to watch how exactly Leicester managed to shackle them. The first goal was pivotal, I said that pre game. I know it is a cliche but the dynamic of the game completely changed after that.

I read this article yesterday by Marcotti :

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/marcotti-musings/62/post/3082970/leicesters-elimination-of-sevilla-can-be-read-through-many-different-lenses

It has some telling aspects. And it kind of makes you think, there is more to think about than Leicester were having a shocking season, Sevilla were never outside of top 3 in La Liga and Sevilla being European "experts".

Here is a stat for you: Sevilla failed to win a SINGLE game last season away from home in La Liga! Digest that! Not one!
    Yes that has changed this year but there is clearly something in that, and they have merely scored one away goal in Europe this season...... against Zagreb......well there you go.

Both teams had different form entering the 2nd leg also, Sevilla with 2 draws against teams they should be beating after a winning streak, Leicester with 2 wins after a huge losing streak indicating they are regaining the mentality of a team that won their national league against all odds..

I am not going to say it wasn't a "shock" result that they progressed but there are so many reasons to say hey, it really wasn't that huge a shock, tbh, was it that they won the 2nd leg, especially when Sevilla went down to 10 men and missed a penalty?
    And more specifically especially after "escaping" that first leg from a fortress with a goal defecit and an away goal when they could easily have been hammered.

Ive strayed away a bit from the way Sevilla played "so bad" but I don't think they played awful but A.M. are a different prospect altogether. It may depend more on Leicester's form going into that game than the opposition players even.
    But Leicester do have a chance, but all in all they are playing a tie that is a good bit harder than their last game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Would love to have seen Madrid draw Leicester just to see AIGs head explode with the conspiracy theories!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The Real Madrid microwave must have been broken because they've been drawn against the wrong team.

Barcelona have a formidable task (nothing new there) against Juventus in what is surely the pick of the games.

I am delighted that either Dortmund or Monaco will be in the semi finals this year, two fantastic progressive football teams.

As already mentioned here, Atletico was the best matchup for Leicester stylistically. However Atletico's approach has changed a bit this season and they are more varied in their attack this season than ever before under Simeone. Atletico will go through.

Great draw, great games to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Atletico have been toothless at times this season. They're definitely not a certainty to go through.

This trophy has the hunchbacks written all over it :(

The only things that will stop them now is shady decisions from refereeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

UEFA fecked up that draw didn't they.

But some great ties to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Cracking draw, every game looks interesting on paper.

Do people reckon RTE/TV3 will show Leicester/Atleti or Bayern/Real? Obviously they'll show Juve/Barca on the other nights.

• Advertisement

NDWC wrote: »

Do people reckon RTE/TV3 will show Leicester/Atleti or Bayern/Real? Obviously they'll show Juve/Barca on the other nights.

If I was a national broadcaster, It would be a tough choice but I probably would go with the latter

If I was a national broadcaster, It would be a tough choice but I probably would go with the latter

It'll be an absolute ****ing disgrace if they don't show the Bayern v Real Madrid match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

So there is another draw for the semis after these matches are done ?

really milk it don't they.

Juventus should send there U14 team - just to protest the joke this competition has become ... either that or score own goals for the 180 minutes ...

So there is another draw for the semis after these matches are done ?

really milk it don't they.

Juventus should send there U14 team - just to protest the joke this competition has become ... either that or score own goals for the 180 minutes ...

The UEFA suits have to get their all-expenses paid, 5 star weekends away didn't you know.

As for the Juve line, whats that mean? Don't follow.

NIMAN wrote: »
    The UEFA suits have to get their all-expenses paid, 5 star weekends away didn't you know.

As for the Juve line, whats that mean? Don't follow.

:D ... just me being me ....

• Advertisement

I thought I had missed something.

They'll do Barca anyway.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I thought I had missed something.

They'll do Barca anyway.

Impossible.

Not actually trolling here, but when a team makes an incredible comeback like they did v PSG , it's destiny ...

They won't win it in 2018 ...

Atletico showing how much different of a task they will present Leicester than Sevilla.

Sevilla continue an very bad run whilst AM are in good form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

NDWC wrote: »

They'd have to show the team from our national league I'd say so Leicester v Atletico for sure.

They'd have to show the team from our national league I'd say so Leicester v Atletico for sure.

:D

Nice try, but I don't think anyone will fall for this, eh, remark.....;)

Forget Barcelona, this is a real epic comeback!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39312532

Forget Barcelona, this is a real epic comeback!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39312532

Not really.

Barca won, Exeter only got a draw and they scored the 3 goals in roughly the same time it took Barca to score their final 3.

Not really.

Barca won, Exeter only got a draw and they scored the 3 goals in roughly the same time it took Barca to score their final 3.

joke mate................joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Tuesday Game's
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) V Monaco (FRA)
    Juventus (ITA) V FC Barcelona (ESP)

Wednesday Game's
    Atlético Madrid (ESP) V Leicester City (ENG)
    FC Bayern Munich (GER) V Real Madrid (ESP)

Couple of good night's of football there (hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Ironic that after all the money Red Bull have wasted trying to get Salzburg into the Champions League, Leipzig have all but automatically qualified for next year's edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

RTÉ unbelievably ignoring the home nations, fellow British isles team and going for the other game instead

It's being advertised on tv and is in the listings so seems to be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Hope Barca and Dortmund do the business tonight but backed Juve and Monaco (result and btts in the latter). Dortmund and Barca need to be at their clinical best (which I don't see happening) or it could be a hiding for Barca and a loss for Dortmund at home. Hope I'm wrong but all will be revealed in time.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ironic that after all the money Red Bull have wasted trying to get Salzburg into the Champions League, Leipzig have all but automatically qualified for next year's edition.

Apparently UEFA will only let one of them compete

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2017/02/22/32941162/uefa-rules-threaten-to-disqualify-rb-leipzig-or-red-bull

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Set up two new arms of the company, simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Smash 'em up juve, don't choke Higuian, don't you dare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Dortmund v Monaco likely to be called off after explosion involving Dortmund team bus, Marc bartra reportedly in hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

thelad95 wrote: »
    Dortmund v Monaco likely to be called off after explosion involving Dortmund team bus, Marc bartra reportedly in hospital.

:mad:

Advertisement