Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I don't buy the whole juventus defence thing. They're not like the vintage of juventus tonight. Barca had plenty of goal scoring opportunities tonight (unlike against PSG). Juventus were a bit fortunate with the final scoreline imo. Deserving winners but not by the margin in the scoreline.

Hopefully that's enough for them but Allegri blew it with Milan before. Really hope that doesn't happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm not being my usual self here, but after what happened with PSG, Barca will have such belief.

Barca still overwhelming favourites for this tie

I give ya 6/4 any money ya want:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Really enjoyed that match. Juventus put in a great performance but they got away with a couple of defensive mistakes, they played brilliantly overall though and physically dominated Barcelona, plus were much more clinical in front of goal. Barcelona were poor but were unlucky with the final scoreline IMO, missed two great chances both set up by Messi and also denied a penalty from Chiellinis handball, in fairness to the ref in real time I didn't see the hand raised and not many Barca players seemed to appeal it either. Have not been impressed with Gomes, Umtiti or Mathieu anytime I've watched them play, Mascherano and Pique don't seem quite as good as they have been in previous years either. Did Barcelona let Dani Alves go too early? He's getting on but a better option that Roberto I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

pudzey101 wrote: »
    already posted in another thread saying i can see Juve going on and winning this :) their defense is unreal , would be nice for buffon to finally get a UCL medal too :D

My main reason for really wanting them to win. Would really love him to finally get the champions league medal that his career deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is RTE showing Bayern v Real tomorrow night? That's the outstanding tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Barcelona have declined big time.
    Iniesta is still very good but past his best as is Jordi Alba. Sergi Roberto is a squad player. Rakitic having a terrible season too.

Gomez,Mathieu,Alcacer,Denis Suarez,Turan,Digne all bought in the last 1-2 years are not good enough for Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Maybe just maybe Juve deserve some credit too. More in the world then Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

TheCitizen wrote: »

yeah.

So, em, how are TV3 going to fill an hour with that Dortmund gameoff!

Lucky they have Brian Kerr to give some brilliant analogies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bayern could win 3-0 tomorow night as well.
    Real have Pepe & Varane out & Ronaldo & Bale badly off form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

MD1990 wrote: »

Bayern could win 3-0 tomorow night as well.
    Real have Pepe & Varane out & Ronaldo & Bale badly off form.
    Have to agree. Real have been in no great shape themselves. Would love Allegri or Carlo to raise that trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Now I remember why I never liked Mandzukic

Me too, he reminds me of Pepe. Should be shot for crimes against fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Can't get enough of that Buffon save. Like scoring a goal almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Has there been a better GK in the past 2 decades in terms of ability and consistency, than Buffon?

Ill answer my own question, no, no there hasnt.

I think its about time Juventus won the UCL again and Buffon deserves a winners medal.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Can't get enough of that Buffon save. Like scoring a goal almost.

****ing Legend
    Same goes for Totti (although not a keeper!)
    Same ilk I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Has there been a better GK in the past 2 decades in terms of ability and consistency, than Buffon?

Ill answer my own question, no, no there hasnt.

I think its about time Juventus won the UCL again and Buffon deserves a winners medal.

I think he's the greatest goalkeeper ever. He looks like he's never gonna slow down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Barca are in a serious plateau at the moment, and have been for a number of years to be honest, some seriously average players on the pitch tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Oh well, there was some good stuff but way too many negatives. Honestly I'm too annoyed to talk about it properly. You can't win the Champions League conceding an aggregate of 7-0 in 2 away legs.....

But 4 of those 7 goals are meaningless ...

It's like saying after tossing 5 heads in a row, there is a much better chance of getting tails - its an independent event.

3-0 down with a full 90 to play at the Nou Camp - Barca still favourites for this, just look at the PSG tie.

Throw in other factors that will for sure be present on the night.

Barca to go through - easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

But 4 of those 7 goals are meaningless ...

It's like saying after tossing 5 heads in a row, there is a much better chance of getting tails - its an independent event.

3-0 down with a full 90 to play at the Nou Camp - Barca still favourites for this, just look at the PSG tie.

Throw in other factors that will for sure be present on the night.

Barca to go through - easily.

Hello good sir, I would like to place a wager with you on which of these teams gets into the next round. I'll even be kind and waive the fact that, as you say, Barca are favourites, and just leave the odds at evens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Delighted for Juventus, I thought they were fantastic tonight. Really opened up the Barca defence and scored three very good goals. They were onto Messi like a flash, and smothered him. Even though they got stuck in hard, I still think they played with controlled aggression.

I'm glad more teams now know how weak Barca are at the back, when you run at them, they are seriously lacking pace. I've always seen Pique as a very overrated defender, and he's been badly shown up this year. But he seems untouchable regardless of how bad he plays. That Barca defense is very weak.

I don't see Juventus suffering a complete and utter meltdown as PSG did in the Camp Nou. Some very experienced heads, and by god do the Italians know how to defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Jayop wrote: »
    This tie is over. I'd say once in the history of European football has an Italian team given up a 3 nil lead and it won't happen again

I can think of two times, nearly 3 but spurs couldn't get the 4th goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Nearly 4 but Van Persie decided it's cute to miss from yard out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

D'on think this will be another Psg situation, Juve are mentally much stronger, much better defending
    as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Turpin for the return in Nou Camp if this result needs to be fixed by the UEFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Nearly doesnt count ;)

The Liverpool final in 05 was the one I was thinking of. Can't think of another. Arsenal Inter in 03,but that was the group stages I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Nearly doesnt count ;)

The Liverpool final in 05 was the one I was thinking of. Can't think of another. Arsenal Inter in 03,but that was the group stages I think.

Milan in 04 beat Deportivo 4-1 in the first leg and Deportivo turned it around to win the second leg 4-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Hello good sir, I would like to place a wager with you on which of these teams gets into the next round. I'll even be kind and waive the fact that, as you say, Barca are favourites, and just leave the odds at evens.

How do we deal with this - payment wise ?
    How about .... four pounds ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

ebbsy wrote: »
    D'on think this will be another Psg situation, Juve are mentally much stronger, much better defending
    as well.

Agreed, I also think Juve will score in the second leg too. There is no way that Juve team will concede 5 goals. The tie is done, this is Juve and not PSG here. Even if Barcelona get another couple of dodgy calls in their favour, Juve won't capitulate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Agreed, I also think Juve will score in the second leg too. There is no way that Juve team will concede 5 goals. The tie is done, this is Juve and not PSG here. Even if Barcelona get another couple of dodgy calls in their favour, Juve won't capitulate.
    I'm not saying it will happen but when you have Messi, Neymar and Suarez it can definitely happen. If the three of them get in sync then they can score a ridiculous amount of goals.

Nearly doesnt count ;)

Deportivo vs ac milan in 04 i think. 4-1 down in the first leg, and they beat them 4-0 in the second.

Nearly doesnt count ;)

Deportivo vs ac milan in 04 i think. 4-1 down in the first leg, and they beat them 4-0 in the second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Dortmund vs Monaco is on at 5.45 today not 7.45. Only realised that just now, still probably shouldn't have been rescheduled for today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ERG89 wrote: »
    Dortmund vs Monaco is on at 5.45 today not 7.45. Only realised that just now, still probably shouldn't have been rescheduled for today.

Getting tight for the games with the 2nd legs next week, today would have been the only real time to get it played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Both Monaco and BVB have matches on saturday so tomorrow was no option either.

Getting tight for the games with the 2nd legs next week, today would have been the only real time to get it played

Think it's taking a risk with Bayern playing tonight too in Germany & the fact perpetrator/s haven't been identified yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Think it's taking a risk with Bayern playing tonight too in Germany & the fact perpetrator/s haven't been identified yet
    a risk of what and how is playing a game 500km away somehow connected or increasing the risk of anything ?
    And what are you proposing? Postpone the games, letting the terrorist cause maximum impact for minimum effort? And when do you play the games? when a lad is arrested and convicted, or just arrested, or when theres a good lead, or when?

I'll be at the stadium in Munich tonight and no poxy loner wannabe terrorist will be stopping me.

and now its been announced in an ongoing press conference by the federal authorities that theres a lad in custody so the police seem to be on top of the matter.

the sky article is a bit of a rehash of old news but the arrest is mentioned too.
    http://news.sky.com/story/borussia-dortmund-team-bus-attack-police-probing-islamist-link-10834285

a risk of what and how is playing a game 500km away somehow connected or increasing the risk of anything ? And what are you proposing? Postpone the games, letting the terrorist cause maximum impact for minimum effort? And when do you play the games? when a lad is arrested and convicted, or just arrested, or when theres a good lead, or when?

Well it's was rightfully postponed last night so I guess the terrorists won??? last night if keeping score is a thing they do....
    I think it's unfair on Dortmund to ask them to play a day after their bus got attacked. I'm sure if they delayed the fixture a week it wouldn't cause chaos with either clubs fixtures.

Well it's was rightfully postponed last night so I guess the terrorists won??? last night if keeping score is a thing they do....
    I think it's unfair on Dortmund to ask them to play a day after their bus got attacked. I'm sure if they delayed the fixture a week it wouldn't cause chaos with either clubs fixtures.
    if you'd look at the fixtures rather than presuming it'd be grand, you'll see that Dortmund have a weekend and a midweek fixture every week now for the next few weeks with the next break being the 2nd or 3rd of May, which is the space allocated for the Champions league semi final.

Bayern are the same, and actually play Dortmund in the cup on the 26th of April

There is no spare matchday between now and when the champions league semis are to be played for Bayern or Dortmund so postponing for just a week wasnt really an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I dont think its necessarily unfair. Has anyone asked the players? Maybe they want to play, I know I would be raring to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Looking forward to the early kick off, high scoring draw on the cards.

Jonathan Pearce, god no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Watching and admiring the structure and spacing of Tuchel's Dortmund side, really high level.

FFS Fabinho, why is he on penos for monaco, thought it would be Silva.

How quick the game almost turned. Monaco starting to find possession in the Dortmund half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Serious counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Was coming. Dortmund carved open.

Offside though

Fan bloody tastic by Silva, one up deservedly.

Offside as well.

Oh wow, the speed and precision of Bernardo Silva to make that counter attack and his timing of the pass to Lemar was perfect. That being said, Mbappe was definitely offside. 0-1

Monaco are electric.

• Advertisement
Advertisement