Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Terrible penalty by Vidal.

He never should have picked up the ball and hung onto it for so long before taking it.Too much time to think about it is never good before taking a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ronaldo & Ribery are gone a bit old for their young lad haircuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

2 of the biggest matches of the year. 2 wrong penalty decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Penalty! Ronaldo loses it so easily onnthe edge of his own box and Ribery twists and turns the Madrid defence. Handball by Carvajal. Woeful penalty miss!! It cost them the CL last season, may cost them again here.

We are all listening to the OTT commentary on the tv no need for it in here too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Vidal and Thiago excellent in midfield, Lahm picking up lovely inside right positions in the final third, Neuer absolutely supreme in goal. They may regret that missed penalty in the grand scheme of things though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

2 dodgy penalties awarded to the home sides tonight. Too bad 1 went in. Would have been hilarious if both were missed.

We are all listening to the OTT commentary on the tv no need for it in here too

I'm better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Vidal and Thiago excellent in midfield, Lahm picking up lovely inside right positions in the final third, Neuer absolutely supreme in goal. They may regret that missed penalty in the grand scheme of things though.
    No credit for any Real Madrid player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

RTE are a second or so ahead of play! Quiet irritating!

Penalty!

This regularly happens when Hamilton commentates. It's so amateur, either he learns yo delay his speech to match the picture (which AFAIK every other commentator does) or the sound engineers put in a delay to correct it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Without sounding like a Luddite, I just don't "get" Toni Kroos. Now maybe I am reactionary to what has been a rather frenetic game in the middle third, but I have seen a lot of people proclaim him as some supreme midfielder (as a dream signing for United for example), but I can count more times when I have been underwhelmed by him rather than awestruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Vicxas wrote: »
    Vidal playing GAA.....

A Garryowen any rugby player be proud of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Just in work and missed the first half. On the way to the pub to watch the second. Just a quick question, a stupid one I know as the answer will be no, but has Ronaldo touched the ball yet or is he his usual anonymous self?

Just in work and missed the first half. On the way to the pub to watch the second. Just a quick question, a stupid one I know as the answer will be no, but has Ronaldo touched the ball yet or is he his usual anonymous self?

Hit a pretty good shot that Neuer got down to save.

Without sounding like a Luddite, I just don't "get" Toni Kroos. Now maybe I am reactionary to what has been a rather frenetic game in the middle third, but I have seen a lot of people proclaim him as some supreme midfielder (as a dream signing for United for example), but I can count more times when I have been underwhelmed by him rather than awestruck.

Thats Kevin Strootman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

"Let's have a look at the first goal". Er, how many goals have there been?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    No credit for any Real Madrid player?

Not really. Kroos and Modric are superb players, but they've struggled here against Bayern's midfield 3. Marcelo has been more worried about Robben than going forward, Carvajal getting overloaded. Bale has struggled to impact it so far, Ronaldo has done what he does because when he isn't scoring he's a passenger, Benzema hasn't seen enough of the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

This regularly happens when Hamilton commentates. It's so amateur, either he learns yo delay his speech to match the picture (which AFAIK every other commentator does) or the sound engineers put in a delay to correct it.

Not the commentators fault. You can't commentate properly if you are concentrating on simultaneously delaying your reaction.

It is the tech department fault

Hit a pretty good shot that Neuer got down to save.

Should absolutely have slipped it through to Benzema on that. His run was terrific, Ronaldo had the time to get his head up and pick the pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cant stand this smug jabroni richie sadler on rte

The RTE panel talking about video refereeing. The quarter finals have been excellent thus far but every single one of them has been marred and, in some cases overshadowed, by simple officiating errors. Video refereeing can't be denied anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Anyone PM me? Rte is geoblocked.
    Gentleman and a scholar.
    No bother. smile.png

Is Vidal always the regular PK taker or do they switch around? I'd give it to Robben everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

im guessing you havent seen the crowd of idiots tonight,just like the euros

I saw the twitter videos but walked to the game through the plaza mayor, expecting to see shaved heads getting cracked but nothing happening. Quiet enough game so far. Atletico had 63% possession and hit the upright one before scoring. Penalty looked outside the box but great run from Griezmann that provoked it. Second biggest cheer was where the Bayern score was shown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ricero wrote: »
    Cant stand this smug jabroni richie sadler on rte

It's funny, I actually quite like him on Second Captains, but really dislike him on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Is Vidal always the regular PK taker or do they switch around? I'd give it to Robben everyday.

Would have given it to Xabi alonso , second coolest man on the planet on the ball just behind Pirlo :D

Great finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

RONALDO!!!

jesus ronaldo goal ... wasnt expecting that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's an excellent finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm blaming you for that one!

• Advertisement

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

That's why he's the worlds best. There when you need him.

I stand somewhat corrected, some finish, legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

GIALLLLLL!!!!!!!!

RONALDO SURREAL SPLENDID EVERYTHING YOU EXPECT FROM THE GREATEST PLAYER TO EVER WALK ON A Pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Put that in your pipe and smoke it :D

F Ronaldo ..... Messi would have had a hat-trick by now !! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That's more like the Ronaldo of this season with that touch.

GIALLLLLL!!!!!!!!

What???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ronaldo doing what he does.

Strangely silent from some quarters now.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »

And not surprisingly over the top from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Bret Hart wrote: »
    That's why he's the worlds best. There when you need him.

He is at his most dangerous when anonymous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Just turned it on for 2nd half
    Real almost playing a 442 with Kroos wide left.
    Was this the case in first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

niallo27 wrote: »
    That's more like the Ronaldo of this season with that touch.

Funny, I don't remember you picking up on Suarez bad touches last night, of which there were plenty.

But shur we're all neutrals here :D

SlickRic wrote: »

Again I don't think anybody doubts his goalscoring abilities, which are genuinely great, but if you can discount the other 89 minutes of poor link up play, odd decision making and nonexistent defensive presence, all of which has been on show tonight, then I'd say your criteria for judging player performance is off.

Also odd how silent some quarters are on a stunning Neuer display. One of the best keepers ever.

• Advertisement

Neuer saves.

Madrid getting on top. They could win the tie tonight if they go for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Poor dive from Mahrez...and then Torres loses his footing with a great chance.

Muller has been a poor replacement for Lewandowski so far anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Again I don't think anybody doubts his goalscoring abilities, which are genuinely great, but if you can discount the other 89 minutes of poor link up play, odd decision making and nonexistent defensive presence, all of which has been on show tonight, then I'd say your criteria for judging player performance is off.

He's there for his goalscoring, and also, the rest is not half as bad as you make out.

You said he 'lost the ball easily' for the first goal. He never had it. Alonso stepped in front as Ramos gave Ronaldo a very risky pass. Everything he does imperfectly is ratcheted up to a crazy level, as if to suggest he's appalling. It's so fúcking weird.

• Advertisement
Advertisement