Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If you want to take it that way then sure, because technically it would be true. If I specify it to mean that Man Utd currently have the most expensive squad of any football club ever in the history of football then you know what that means too, either way, the CL matchthread surely isn't the place to be talking about Man Utd after CL quarter finals.

I wasn't talking about United and without reading back I don't think I mentioned them once, so don't try to sneak your way out of another round of brown talk like that. You referred to Madrid as having spent the most in Europe, you regularly refer to another club as having the most expensive squad. Basically I'm just pointing out that it can't be both and like I said you're talking rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Also odd how silent some quarters are on a stunning Neuer display. One of the best keepers ever.

Ok seriously point me to where people doubt him. Anyone that does is just stupid

I don't like it but this Madrid squad is the best in Europe, and by a bit of a distance too. They spend more than other clubs, they get the best quality of players and depth. With a better coach they'd be unstoppable.

Dont agree buddy, Id take Juves squad personally. Why the dissing of Zidane hes done pretty much all he can do. He has the team playing similar to Carlo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Like him or loathe him, 100 goals in European competitions is feckin ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Renato Sanchez is one of the most overated young players in Europe.
    Made a few good runs for Portugal & everyone thought he was great. Been very poor at Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Can you please tell me the first 41 numbers between 1 and 47 that come into your head.I need some numbers for the weekends lotto.
    backed Juve and Monaco (result and btts in the latter). Dortmund and Barca need to be at their clinical best (which I don't see happening) or it could be a hiding for Barca and a loss for Dortmund at home..

If it's money your after, you should follow my tips. I'll even PM you as I feel sorry for Ronaldo fanboys and all the money they normally lose backing him to score every game (plumping up his stats with countless goals against cannon fodder defences while going missing for the next 5 games). You see, I didn't actually back against Madrid or Ronaldo not scoring, isn't that what he's paid half a million euro a week to do? He's finally scored two against a big team...FINALLY, one of the goals against 10 men. The greatest of all time now I guess? Sure I'll level with you seeing as I'm a betting man. Even if Madrid progress he'll be anonymous for the rest of the tournament....sure they won in the final in spite of him last year, just like Portugal. They'll be handicapped by having to effectively play with 10 men as he contributes so little in open play, but I guess they always are. Didn't he score 2 against Wolfsburg last year and disappear for the rest of the tournament? As I said, if it's money your after, a good bet would be on Ronaldo not doing anything for the rest of the tournament, history would put the odds against him even scoring in the tournament for it's duration. He's had his little moment thanks to his generous teammates, a penalty is his best chance of scoring again from here on out

If it's money your after, you should follow my tips. I'll even PM you as I feel sorry for Ronaldo fanboys and all the money they normally lose backing him to score every game (plumping up his stats with countless goals again cannon fodder defences while going missing for the next 5 games). You see, I didn't actually back against Madrid or Ronaldo not scoring, isn't that what he's paid half a million euro a week to do? He's finally scored two against a big team...FINALLY, one of the goals against 10 men. The greatest of all time now I guess? Sure I'll level with you seeing as I'm a betting man. Even if Madrid progress he'll be anonymous for the rest of the tournament. They'll be handicapped by having to effectively play with 10 men as he contributes so little in open play like in last years final. Didn't he score 2 against Wolfsburg last year and disappear for the rest of the tournament? As I said, if it's money your after, a good bet would be on Ronaldo not doing anything for the rest of the tournament, history would put the odds against him even scoring in the tournament for it's duration. He's had his little moment thanks to his generous teammates, a penalty is his best chance of scoring again from here on out

This has to be the most pathetic post Ive read here, theres a Barca fan here who gets a lot of slagging, but at least hes usually funny about it, this is just sad

irishman86 wrote: »
    This has to be the most pathetic post Ive read here, theres a Barca fan here who gets a lot of slagging, but at least hes usually funny about it, this is just sad

Want to go through Ronaldo's goal-scoring against top teams (since goal scoring alone makes him the greatest of all time according to some) at the the tail end of the Champions League for the last few years? If not, what's pathetic about the post? It's not sour grapes, just looking at it from a betting point of view, which is what I was called up on. Ronaldo very very sporadically doing what he's paid to do against top teams in the Champions League (score goals and contribute nothing else), doesn't disprove the criticism leveled at him by many....including the Madrid fans and chairman for the past year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You heard it here first folks, Juventus were not a big club when they got to the CL final two years ago. Neither were Dortmund the year after they got to it. Or Atletico the year they got to it. In fact, Bayern were not a big club until this season. And Barca are not a big club either, haven't been over the last 7 years either. :D

The sheer level of bitterness in someone you just know for a fact 12-15 years ago was taking utter delight in a young player being labeled a fraud, one trick pony, etc as they've been proven so hilariously wrong at this point but somehow think if they pretend it isn't happening then it will all go away. Thing is, even pretty much all of those who hated the guy will easily admin we're watching one of the very, very best players of all time (two of them together, at that). If anyone if familiar with Jeff Rudd, it's kind of at that level by now, not sure if it's more funny or just sad.

Just keeping saying it's not real and it will go away, just keeping saying it's not real and it will go away, just keeping saying it's not real and it will go away, just keep saying... :pac:

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    You heard it here first folks, Juventus were not a big club when they got to the CL final two years ago. Neither were Dortmund the year after they got to it. Or Atletico the year they got to it. In fact, Bayern were not a big club until this season. And Barca are not a big club either, haven't been over the last 7 years either. :D

Are you trying to sneer at a point I never made? Didn't I say two goals, not one? I never said he didn't score against a big team, but that it's very very sporadic, which it is. You've given two examples in 5 years, barring a last minute peno against Atleti. He didn't score two goals in a match against most of those teams you mentioned in the Champions League. Once with a last minute tap-in in a rout against Bayern in a game already well won years ago. That the only match you have to prove your point? Really proved me wrong, eh? The reason I say two is because Ronaldo's seemingly only criteria for being championed one of the best ever is his goal scoring, which is decidedly average against quality opposition....you have to go back years in the Champions League before he got his last 2 goals in one game against top quality opposition, and that was in a hammering where everyone was getting in on the act. Ye, I've never seen the game taken to such heights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ronaldo sh!tposting has to be one of the most annoying trends on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Want to go through Ronaldo's goal-scoring against top teams (since goal scoring alone makes him the greatest of all time according to some) at the the tail end of the Champions League for the last few years? If not, what's pathetic about the post? It's not sour grapes, just looking at it from a betting point of view, which is what I was called up on. Ronaldo very very sporadically doing what he's paid to do against top teams in the Champions League (score goals and contribute nothing else), doesn't disprove the criticism leveled at him by many....including the Madrid fans and chairman for the past year

He scored a hat-trick in the quarter final last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ballon d'or winning performance from Ronaldo. Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Unearthly wrote: »
    Ballon d'or winning performance from Ronaldo. Legend

Still a class player, but surely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Putting the goals down to the generosity of his teammates, that's scraping the barrel!

Overall Bayern were lucky Neuer was on such good form, it could've gotten ugly. Real must be kicking themselves not to get another one.

• Advertisement

Its not a betting man, its sad. A betting man who tries to make the argument that Ronaldo doesnt score against big teams after doing it twice against Bayern is a betting man who is not successful and talking out his arse.

Are you trying to sneer at a point I never made? Didn't I say two goals, not one? I never said he didn't score against a big team, but that it's very very sporadic, which it is. You've given two examples in 5 years, barring a last minute peno against Atleti. He didn't score two goals in a match against most of those teams you mentioned in the Champions League. Once with a last minute tap-in in a rout against Bayern in a game already well won years ago. That the only match you have to prove your point? Really proved me wrong, eh? The reason I say two is because Ronaldo's seemingly only criteria for being championed one of the best ever is his goal scoring, which is decidedly average against quality opposition....you have to go back years in the Champions League before he got his last 2 goals in one game against top quality opposition, and that was in a hammering where everyone was getting in on the act. Ye, I've never seen the game taken to such heights

Do you even watch football?
    Ronaldo has 6 assists to Messi 8 in La Liga and 5 to Messi 2 in CL.
    Now Im not a mathematician but doesnt that make Ronaldo have 11 assists to Messi 10.
    Well I guess that makes Messi just a glorified goal scorer going by you betting man stats, because at the end of the day betting is all about stats.
    Or wait, more likely you havent a clue would be the more reasonable assumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Wasn't a fantastic performance out of Ronaldo yesterday but he was there twice and they were both no flukes, quite the opposite. 100 CL goals. That says it all.
    I don't understand why some have to talk a player like that down just because there is another player they like more or something.

He can be bit of a clown but the fact he actually genuinely challenges Messi for best player of their generation speaks for itself.

Bayern are lucky to still be in this. Real made Bayern's hailed squad look very ordinary yesterday. They say it themselves. They weren't at their best and a missed peno and Martinez' sending off didn't help.

Robben's stuff is still standing above everyone else in the league but at CL level things look a little different. He is also struggling to keep it going for 90. He is on the wrong side of 30 and its beginning to show. Ribery will be there soon enough, too.
    Then you have a quiet Thiago, no Lewandowski and the all too familiar Mueller stinker and you're just not going to give a team like Real a beating.
    On the positive side Vidal was outstanding, unfortunate penalty miss, and Neuer kept them in the tie with some incredible saves.
    Thats as good as you could have hoped for the way it was going.

Bayern need to inject some new top class blood. Rumours about Dele Alli are most welcome. They need a couple of that calibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

irishman86 wrote: »
    Its not a betting man, its sad. A betting man who tries to make the argument that Ronaldo doesnt score against big teams after doing it twice against Bayern is a betting man who is not successful and talking out his arse.
    Several times he has stated that it's against the norm for Ronaldo to score against the top teams, not that it never happened to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Cant put it in other words than this:

Ronaldo has moved from a Van Persie type of player (skill and goals) to a Huntelaar (just goals)

And Bayern...... so much money and no back-up for Lewandowski is just bad. No proper centre forward also resulted in Real having it much to easy to keep Robben quiet by even double-teaming him at half time in the dressing rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I can't see how that is what you take away from last night's game. He scores goals 99 and 100 in a CL quarter final in Munich and your conclusion is he has become a Huntelaar. Really?

I can't see how that is what you take away from last night's game. He scores goals 99 and 100 in a CL quarter final in Munich and your conclusion is he has become a Huntelaar. Really?

Not just from last night and i dont mean "level" of Huntelaar.
    I just think he has evolved, due to age probably, from a player that did a lot more than just score goals to a player that "just" scores goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Read somewhere earlier messi has never scored against buffon :D can anyone confirm this ? Might throw a few quid on Juve tomorrow think they are 16/5 :)

16/5 for Juve to go through ... you see ! ?

bookies know ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not sure Monaco are safe yet. I've been very impressed with Fabinho in the Champion' league this season and he is missing for the second leg.

I'd actually go as far as saying that if Fabinho keeps up what he has been doing this season for another season that I'll be crowning him the best player in the world in a 12 months time. I think he is a huge loss for Monaco and I'm not sure how good they'll be without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

klose wrote: »
    Ronaldo sh!tposting has to be one of the most annoying trends on boards.

To be honest the Ronaldo sh!tposting (and Messi sh!tposting while we're on it) does have it's advantages. It's usually a good indicator of someones complete lack of in-dept footballing knowledge. Once I know who these posters are I never take what they post seriously. That's not to say though I don't get a good laugh out of reading their clueless waffle ever now and again!

16/5 for Juve to go through ... you see ! ?

bookies know ..
    That was before the match 2 days ago.

Barca are now 5/1 to go through which is ridiculously low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

inforfun wrote: »

Again, like I said ... bookies know ... but people brand me as a fool on here, but you will see - barca will win this.

Not sure they will win the competition as they can't play the final in the camp nou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Again, like I said ... bookies know ... but people brand me as a fool on here, but you will see - barca will win this.

Not sure they will win the competition as they can't play the final in the camp nou.

He is only sitting at home in his bedroom trying to humour himself with these stup1d posts! Don't humour him!

Wasn't a fantastic performance out of Ronaldo yesterday but he was there twice and they were both no flukes, quite the opposite. 100 CL goals. That says it all.
    I don't understand why some have to talk a player like that down just because there is another player they like more or something.

He can be bit of a clown but the fact he actually genuinely challenges Messi for best player of their generation speaks for itself.

Bayern are lucky to still be in this. Real made Bayern's hailed squad look very ordinary yesterday. They say it themselves. They weren't at their best and a missed peno and Martinez' sending off didn't help.

Robben's stuff is still standing above everyone else in the league but at CL level things look a little different. He is also struggling to keep it going for 90. He is on the wrong side of 30 and its beginning to show. Ribery will be there soon enough, too.
    Then you have a quiet Thiago, no Lewandowski and the all too familiar Mueller stinker and you're just not going to give a team like Real a beating.
    On the positive side Vidal was outstanding, unfortunate penalty miss, and Neuer kept them in the tie with some incredible saves.
    Thats as good as you could have hoped for the way it was going.

Bayern need to inject some new top class blood. Rumours about Dele Alli are most welcome. They need a couple of that calibre.

I wouldn't call Vidal outstanding last night. A bit hyperbole, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Is this still part of your running 'joke' from La Liga thread?

• Advertisement

If it's money your after, you should follow my tips. I'll even PM you as I feel sorry for Ronaldo fanboys and all the money they normally lose backing him to score every game (plumping up his stats with countless goals against cannon fodder defences while going missing for the next 5 games). You see, I didn't actually back against Madrid or Ronaldo not scoring, isn't that what he's paid half a million euro a week to do? He's finally scored two against a big team...FINALLY, one of the goals against 10 men. The greatest of all time now I guess? Sure I'll level with you seeing as I'm a betting man. Even if Madrid progress he'll be anonymous for the rest of the tournament....sure they won in the final in spite of him last year, just like Portugal. They'll be handicapped by having to effectively play with 10 men as he contributes so little in open play, but I guess they always are. Didn't he score 2 against Wolfsburg last year and disappear for the rest of the tournament? As I said, if it's money your after, a good bet would be on Ronaldo not doing anything for the rest of the tournament, history would put the odds against him even scoring in the tournament for it's duration. He's had his little moment thanks to his generous teammates, a penalty is his best chance of scoring again from here on out

Are you willing to offer odds against Ronaldo not scoring the rest of the tournament then? Serious personal agenda you have against him it seems, really petty and pathetic.

Are you willing to offer odds against Ronaldo not scoring the rest of the tournament then? Serious personal agenda you have against him it seems, really petty and pathetic.

seems a bit wierd alright!

I recall this thread, a few years back! Some anti Ronaldo Nuggets D'Or from TGM. Criticise him, fair enough,but obsessing about him........hmmm.

this is it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2056447369&page=49

Seeing as I'm so generous I'll even take even money on the bet- 50 quid ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I dont think its necessarily unfair. Has anyone asked the players? Maybe they want to play, I know I would be raring to go.

Actually if you listen to Tuchel's comments post match they weren't consulted and he was really pi**ed that his players had to play less than 24 hours after their bus was attacked and one of their team had to have operation on wrist/arm in hospital due to injury.
    We were never asked; we were informed by a text message that the UEFA made a decision in Switzerland. It felt lousy. And that sticks with us," he said at a news conference

How fooking lousy is that.
    No wonder the likes of john delaney is highly regarded in UEFA and climbing the greasy pole.
    Maybe he will get UEFA to offer €5,000 to Dortmund as compensation.:rolleyes:

And I think Dortmund should have done more for their players or maybe they were threatened by UEFA ?

It was a fooking disgrace that the match went ahead so soon and the people claiming that there was no way the schedule could be reworked shows how shyte and money dependent the whole system has become.
    The show must go on seems to be the only imperative and the fans just want their fix on the telly.

UEFA of course have form if anyone here is old enough to remember watching that horrific night in Heysel.

Burki had to play in goals less than 24 hours after the guy that was sitting beside him was showered in glass from an explosion and was then in hospital in an arm length cast.
    How the feck would one expect him to have his mind totally on the game ?
    The team bus was escorted at speed to the match and didn't even stop for red lights.
    Imagine the mindset of the players on the bus.

Also listen to Sahin's comments about how he felt.
    "It's hard to talk about it," he said. "It's hard to find the right words. I get goose bumps ... when you were in the bus last night... I can't forget the faces. I will never forget these faces in my life for sure."

I am not allowed discuss …

I'll even PM you as I feel sorry for Ronaldo fanboys and all the money they normally lose backing him to score every game (plumping up his stats with countless goals again cannon fodder defences while going missing for the next 5 games).
    Are you trying to sneer at a point I never made? Didn't I say two goals, not one? I never said he didn't score against a big team, but that it's very very sporadic, which it is.
    "Ronaldo only scores against cannon fodder and disappears for five games after."
    "Ronaldo very rarely scores against big teams."
    "Oh yeah, but he basically never scored two goals against big teams"
    "Well, yeah, whatever. But I've never seen him score a hat trick, save a penalty, two assists and perform open heart surgery against a big team. Never"

Meanwhile, Ronaldo is the third highest scorer in the history of El Classico after 7 years (the two guys ahead of him, Messi and Di Stefano did/have done so over 10+ years), scored in both legs against Juve the year they made it to the CL final... oh, and he scored two goals against Bayern the last time they faced Madrid in the CL knockouts, in the semi finals, again away from home - http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/matches/round=2000482/match=2011881/index.html . Of course, as reigning the CL champions that year who had just knocked out Juve 4-0 on aggregate and went on to win the Bundesliga by (edit) 19 points with a +71 GD and 90 points in 34 games (which would be 100pts over 38 games), Bayern clearly must not have been a big club.

Just keeping saying it's not real and it will go away, just keeping saying it's not real and it will go away, just keeping saying it's not real and it will go away, just keep saying...

To be honest the Ronaldo sh!tposting (and Messi sh!tposting while we're on it) does have it's advantages. It's usually a good indicator of someones complete lack of in-dept footballing knowledge. Once I know who these posters are I never take what they post seriously. That's not to say though I don't get a good laugh out of reading their clueless waffle ever now and again!

It's gas that we're watching two guys who belong in the discussion with Pele, Maradona, Beckenbauer, etc yet some people's sheer bitterness about it is bizarre, hilarious, and seriously sad and pathetic at the same time. It's not that history will remember this bitterness poorly, it's that it won't even remember it at all.

Enjoy it while it's their, we might not see anyone on that level again in our lifetimes or for a number of decades - and we're seeing two, together (and I would say Xavi but that's because I'm a self- admitted massive Xavi fanboy :D )!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually if you listen to Tuchel's comments post match they weren't consulted and he was really pi**ed that his players had to play less than 24 hours after their bus was attacked and one of their team had to have operation on wrist/arm in hospital due to injury.

How fooking lousy is that.
    No wonder the likes of john delaney is highly regarded in UEFA and climbing the greasy pole.
    Maybe he will get UEFA to offer €5,000 to Dortmund as compensation.:rolleyes:

And I think Dortmund should have done more for their players or maybe they were threatened by UEFA ?

It was a fooking disgrace that the match went ahead so soon and the people claiming that there was no way the schedule could be reworked shows how shyte and money dependent the whole system has become.
    The show must go on seems to be the only imperative and the fans just want their fix on the telly.

UEFA of course have form if anyone here is old enough to remember watching that horrific night in Heysel.

Burki had to play in goals less than 24 hours after the guy that was sitting beside him was showered in glass from an explosion and was then in hospital in an arm length cast.
    How the feck would one expect him to have his mind totally on the game ?
    The team bus was escorted at speed to the match and didn't even stop for red lights.
    Imagine the mindset of the players on the bus.

Also listen to Sahin's comments about how he felt.

They should have been give more time.Playing it so soon was a massive competitive disadvantage for them.

I'll bet my username v yours (excluding penos of course), seeing as it's not realistic betting actual money on an anonymous forum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

jmayo wrote:

It was said on BT last night but how can you ask players to play 24 hours after some lunatic tried to kill them. You can't focus that soon after but it seemed to never be on the table that this match would be postponed.
    There was a interview last night with Sahin & he was nearly crying when he was asked to talk about it. He also said that only when he got on the pitch did his mind get taken off the incident.
    Took them forever to get going last night & the crowd were subdued throughout (understandably).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Just because Ronaldo gets criticized the odd time, its doesnt mean people dont think he was one of the greatest players to have played the game. Its impossible have a debate about him because any criticism of him is seen as a personal attack for some people and others think it means the poster thinks ronaldo is rubbish and should never play again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

niallo27 wrote: »
    Just because Ronaldo gets criticized the odd time, its doesnt mean people dont think he was one of the greatest players to have played the game. Its impossible have a debate about him because any criticism of him is seen as a personal attack for some people and others think it means the poster thinks ronaldo is rubbish and should never play again.

There are a fair few who don't think he's one of the greatest ever, and that deserves to be called put as fúcking nonsense.

Also, with him, if he doesn't complete a pass, he gets labelled as having a terrible game.

He was utterly brilliant in the 2nd half last night. But for Neuer and an unfortunate slip, he's have had 4 or 5. His movement as a centre forward is majestic and barely ever gets the credit it deserves.

The other thing some people don't get is he's not there to control a game, pick passes, create from deep etc. He's there to score goals. And that's seen by some as a mark against him.

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Cant put it in other words than this:

Ronaldo has moved from a Van Persie type of player (skill and goals) to a Huntelaar (just goals)

And Bayern...... so much money and no back-up for Lewandowski is just bad. No proper centre forward also resulted in Real having it much to easy to keep Robben quiet by even double-teaming him at half time in the dressing rooms.

That's also what I've been saying and any stats you look at or any performance you watch him play will back up that assessment. The hilarious thing is it isn't even a criticism! He's one of the greatest goalscorera to ever play the sport! But because I say he doesn't run past people or create from deep they say I'm a "hater" but all of the stats and performances back that opinion up.

SlickRic wrote: »
    There are a fair few who don't think he's one of the greatest ever, and that deserves to be called put as fúcking nonsense.

Also, with him, if he doesn't complete a pass, he gets labelled as having a terrible game.

He was utterly brilliant in the 2nd half last night. But for Neuer and an unfortunate slip, he's have had 4 or 5. His movement as a centre forward is majestic and barely ever gets the credit it deserves.

The other thing some people don't get is he's not there to control a game, pick passes, create from deep etc. He's there to score goals. And that's seen by some as a mark against him.

Madness.

Well if he is only there to score goals which i dont agree he should be there to create as well, he went 6 games without scoring before last night, a large spell by his standards. He redeemed himself last night like he always does, but it was a fair criticism to mention it by his own incredible standards before the game last night.

There's a difference between criticism and taking glory from frailties in his game and dispelling any of his considerable talent and going out of your way to do both.

I mean for the most part it's his haters that bring up the topic of the player than his admirers.

There is more of an obsession about what he doesn't do and a case of ignorance to what he has and still does do.

Look at the post yesterday "I haven't seen the first half but I bet Ronaldo has barely touched the ball" or something of the like. Yes, I know it was a bit in jest but inot general terms this is the only kind of cr@p that emerges every time the topic of a player that has just scored 100 European comes up.

The imbalance is startling

Well if he is only there to score goals which i dont agree he should be there to create as well, he went 6 games without scoring before last night, a large spell by his standards. He redeemed himself last night like he always does, but it was a fair criticism to mention it by his own incredible standards before the game last night.

It was three games and no six, no? He scored against Betis on March 12th and went three games (Alaves, Athletic, Atletico) without scoring after that. In fact, taking a quick glance it doesn't appear he has gone more than 3 games without a goal since early 2011, over six years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

That's also what I've been saying and any stats you look at or any performance you watch him play will back up that assessment. The hilarious thing is it isn't even a criticism! He's one of the greatest goalscorera to ever play the sport! But because I say he doesn't run past people or create from deep they say I'm a "hater" but all of the stats and performances back that opinion up.

So of you acknowledge these things are insignificant to his game why do you continually being them up.

Is it not the equivalent of saying the likes of Vincent Kompnay is a terrible defender as he doesn't dictate a game on a weekly basis....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'll bet my username v yours (excluding penos of course), seeing as it's not realistic betting actual money on an anonymous forum

Where theres a will theres a way - Lots of people here who will go escrow for you, look after the two stakes and give them to the winner - one poster has reliably escrowed over 1K+ every year for the fantasy football.

Where theres a will theres a way - Lots of people here who will go escrow for you, look after the two stakes and give them to the winner - one poster has reliably escrowed over 1K+ every year for the fantasy football.

escrow
    ˈɛskrəʊ/Submit
    LAW
    noun
    a bond, deed, or other document kept in the custody of a third party and taking effect only when a specified condition has been fulfilled.
    verbNORTH AMERICAN
    place in custody or trust until a specified condition has been fulfilled.
    "those funds are escrowed for the purpose of improving municipal services"

Every day is a school day! :pac:

He's still playing football for Real Madrid & Portugal

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's still playing football for Real Madrid & Portugal

Grammar is not my best Mick you should knew that by now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement