Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

astradave wrote: »
    I hope he scores a 2 yard tap in in the 97th min of the final that they are already winning 4-0 to win that bet...

Feck that, I hope he has a penalty saved and taps in the rebound. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Unfortunately football fans ars too deeply entrenched in supporting one or the other of these two players for any real debate or analysis to ever flourish.

Thanks. I just snorted my beer out through my nose at you, of all people, suggesting people are entrenched in their views.

Bravo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Billy86 wrote: »
    Feck that, I hope he has a penalty saved and taps in the rebound. :D

a 97th minute penalty against Leicester (even though the injury time board stated 3 minutes) with Real Madrid 5-0 up resulting from a Ronaldo dive which Schmeicheal gets sent off for and Mahrez has to go in goal when Leicester are down to 9 men and Ronaldo has been "merely a passenger" for the rest of the game and should have been sent off a couple of minutes before after b1tchslapping Vardy!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Yep

Nice one game on then !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I see everyone is on the fence in who they want to see win ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

SlickRic wrote: »
    Thanks. I just snorted my beer out through my nose at you, of all people, suggesting people are entrenched in their views.

Bravo!

And I just snorted a vibrant, smooth and rich new world Shiraz out through my nose at you, of all people, trying to suggest there is somebody more entrenched in their views than you are.

Bravo!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

And I just snorted a vibrant, smooth and rich new world Shiraz out through my nose at you, of all people, trying to suggest there is somebody more entrenched in their views than you are.

Bravo!!

Bravo!

Ye guys really need to learn how to laugh and drink, although I suppose it could be a class thing, peasants :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I wouldn't call Vidal outstanding last night. A bit hyperbole, that.

Maybe. Him and Never were the two Bayern players that stood out for me I should have said. Vidal looked up for it from minute 1. Thought he was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Bravo!

Considering how often his views and allegiances change I don't think you can label him entrenched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

irishman86 wrote: »
    I did, I think your incorrect, if anything he gets more assists now than previously

With "he used to do more" i am not just thinking of assists.
    Also thinking of leaving 3 defenders behind him in a 40 meter run from his own half. And of course losing that, will result in a few more assists.
    He cant do it all by himself anymore and needs to pass more often, where he used to think he could do it (and quite often did) all by himself with his pace and power.

That is not criticism, it is just how i see it.
    If i want to criticise him, i ll use other things, mostly not skill related.

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    With "he used to do more" i am not just thinking of assists.
    Also thinking of leaving 3 defenders behind him in a 40 meter run from his own half. And of course losing that, will result in a few more assists.
    He cant do it all by himself anymore and needs to pass more often, where he used to think he could do it (and quite often did) all by himself with his pace and power.

That is not criticism, it is just how i see it.
    If i want to criticise him, i ll use other things, mostly not skill related.

Im not saying you were giving criticism, I just dont see how substituting a 40 meter run for a assist is less, when the end result is the same. If anything he has grown as a player, Ronaldo always had the ability to get assists like Messi, now he is doing it rather than attempt to do it all alone, thats growth hence more

Ronaldo always had the ability to get assists like Messi,

Ronaldo's number of assists was always one of the highest in the game, he always did get assists comparable to Messi, anybody saying that Ronaldo has now added assists to his game is being foolish.

12 assists this season, 15 last season, 21 the season before that, 14, 12, 15, his assist record is far more than many "creative" legends of the game ever managed.

Ronaldo's number of assists was always one of the highest in the game, he always did get assists comparable to Messi, anybody saying that Ronaldo has now added assists to his game is being foolish.

12 assists this season, 15 last season, 21 the season before that, 14, 12, 15, his assist record is far more than many "creative" legends of the game ever managed.

I think hes more likely to get a assist now days, than back in the past as hes grown as a player and sees he doesnt need to do everything himself. I never said he doesnt get assists previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Why is that? Want to expand on this point? Why is the word creative in inverted commas? Are you implying that Ronaldo is a better playmaker than all the other greats of the game, because you think there's some correlation between two yard assists and actual playmaking? It seems to some that goal scoring alone is the only criteria for being one of the best players ever, and assist stats are now the benchmark for true playmaking greatness

Want to expand on this point?

Not to a boring gimmick poster who has been doing his sad shtick for years now, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Playing tonight
    Leicester City (ENG) V Atlético Madrid (ESP) (Agg 0-1)
    Real Madrid (ESP) V FC Bayern Munich (GER) (Agg 2-1)

Wednesday Game's
    Monaco (FRA) V Borussia Dortmund (GER) (Agg 3-2)
    FC Barcelona (ESP) V Juventus (ITA) (Agg 0-3)

Oh, CHRISTiano, forgot Real are playing again tonight. Cue countless pages of the same sh1te about Ronaldo. I think the block button may be used tonight!

Fancy Bayern to win or draw on the night to be honest. Real will ship a goal surely against 11 men, question is whether it is one or two. Bayern w/o Hummels, Boateng and, of course, Martinez.

Real could rue not getting a third when dominating last Wednesday

Atletico minus 1 or even 2 in the other surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Any idea which game are TV3 showing? (Even their own website doesn't make it clear).

Any idea which game are TV3 showing? (Even their own website doesn't make it clear).

Leicester game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

The Leicester game, I imagine if it was polled which game the public wanted to see it would be a landslide for the munich Madrid game.

• Advertisement

Praying for Leicester to squeak through just for the craic of it. I reckon it's got to end tonight, but gas seeing how far they have managed to go all the same and a CL SF would be out of this world (esp if they were to draw Dortmund/Monaco). Given that they've more or less got out of the relegation panic from a month or two back, it's been some ride for their fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Real have only had 5 clean sheets this year in all competitions, 3 of them were the the first 8 games in January.

Real have also scored in every game they've played this season so I'd be expecting goals tonight at both ends.

Lewandoski is expected to start but Bayern are seriously short at the back, Boateng and MArtinez are out and Hummels is expected to miss out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Come on Lesta!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Genuinely excited to see what Leicester can do tonight. Would love to see the sequel to last year kick on :P

Santiago Bernabéu is without a doubt my favourite stadium, looks amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Both Boateng and Hummels are playing it says?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

C'mon Leicester!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Just reminding golden miller of our bet !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Vidal what a silly tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Bayern on top but nothing to show for it, all too comfortable for Real.
    Vidal & Thiago need to be doing more with the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

Good goal from Saul and great ball from Felipe Luis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

It was good while it lasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Bye bye Leicester. One nil down

Some really sloppy passing at the Bernabeu :/

Greedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Dont bother passing there Ronaldo. Really greedy there he could have killed the tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Leicester have been nulified to playing hoof ball and are getting nowhere with it I expect Athletico will push on and batter them in the 2nd half

In fairness to Munich they are getting a lot of players in the box but Ronaldo can't go missing chance after chance the other end. Interesting game.

niallo27 wrote: »
    In fairness to Munich they are getting a lot of players in the box but Ronaldo can't go missing chance after chance the other end. Interesting game.

He missed one clear chance, stop exaggerating. Bayern have had just as clear chances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The away goals rule is taking a lot away from the Bayern v Real Madrid tie.

Without it this game is still in the balance but because Bayern need to score 2 goals it's almost impossible to see them getting back into the tie now.

It really should have been got rid of a long time ago and I've no idea why clubs haven't lobbied UEFA to get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

delighted for the Leicester squad...hopefully Atletico can get more before there's any sniff of a comeback. Should've had a penalty I think too. :)

Ribery is slow as Christmas though. Doesn't suit the game their trying to play at all which often ends with Lewandowski out wide too often when he needs to be in the box.
    Pretty poor quality in midfield compared to last week. Loads of pure aimless passing under no pressure. Real especially finding a lot of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Without it this game is still in the balance but because Bayern need to score 2 goals it's almost impossible to see them getting back into the tie now.

It really should have been got rid of a long time ago and I've no idea why clubs haven't lobbied UEFA to get rid of it.

I wouldn't go as far as impossible.

If they score a goal in the 1st 15 or 20mins of the 2nd half, which might happen, then Madrid will get very nervous and anything could happen.

"Almost impossible"? It's 2 goals, not 5.

I prefer the away goal rule being there, personally. Adds a bit more and makes teams less likely to park the bus away from home.

Still plenty of time to go.

He missed one clear chance, stop exaggerating. Bayern have had just as clear chances

He had had 3 decent chances. You don't usually get away with giving him that many.

He had had 3 decent chances. You don't usually get away with giving him that many.

He had one clear chance though. Kroos has had two decent chances why not say he needs to be putting them away?

Maybe it is a bit outdated but remember European football in the 90s it was so negative before it was introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Billy86 wrote: »
    I prefer the away goal rule being there, personally. Adds a bit more and makes teams less likely to park the bus away from home.

Still plenty of time to go.

I think it has the opposite effect these days as teams realise how valuable away goals are and it causes home teams to be more negative in their approach for fear of conceding one.

He had one clear chance though. Kroos has had two decent chances why not say he needs to be putting them away?

Because kroos is not one of the most lethal goalscorers that has ever played the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement