Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

TheCitizen wrote: »
    You speak for "most" people do you? How did you come to that conclusion? Anyone who is remotely interested in football will be disgusted by that tonight. Anyone who isn't disgusted by it has no real interest in the game.

Just in the same way you concluded most people were disgusted friend, I conclude most people dont think that way. Both of us are backed with nothing but our own massively flawed egos :D
    So because Im not disgusted I have no real interest in the game, that is actually a more pathetic comment than anything else wrote here today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

enzo roco wrote: »
    There was a chelsea game in the champions league a few years ago.
    DeJa fcuking vu!
    Video refs will help bring the deja vu to an end or at least mitigate against it. The biggest scandal of all is why video refs haven't been introduced yet.

niallo27 wrote: »
    They just showed it on BT and he definitely was offside.

Doesn't matter. Fanboys only see the result, integrity is alien to them.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    CR7 what a player. I doubt we'll ever see anything like him again. He's won everything in club football and doing so as well in different
    leagues and captained his country to their first ever international trophy.His mental strength and determination is the best of any player I've ever witnessed.I've been very fortunate too have seen him live on numerous occasions both while playing for Utd and Real.

Again.

Fanboys only see the result, integrity is alien to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Has anyone got actual proof of Madrid bribing refs?

Our is it just yer Conspiracy theory?

• Advertisement

Can't say I saw the match, from what I'm reading though from high quality pundits and journalists it sounds like a bit of a scandal. Do Real Madrid get favourable refereeing decisions in Europe like Barça (if only) do?

I expect you will get them tomorrow also.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

astradave wrote: »
    He doesn't have to touch the ball. He has to be actively interfering with play, which he does by challenging for the ball

Cheers for correcting me :D i would thank it but i seen who else has thanked it, think i will let them have their little victories ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Worst Champions League robbery in recent history.

Agreed, Madrid were hanging on just before the red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Can't say I saw the match, from what I'm reading though from high quality pundits and journalists it sounds like a bit of a scandal. Do Real Madrid get favourable refereeing decisions in Europe like Barça (if only) do?
    The refereeing was laughable. I doubt Bayern found it amusing though. Two offside goals for Ronaldo and an incorrect red card for Vidal. To be fair, Bayern also got a penalty for a dive by Robben. But Bayern were hard done by tonight.

It was just like the Barca/PSG game except as a french man I didnt have my heart broken tonight :(
    What Ive concluded is refs love Spain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Again.

Fanboys only see the result, integrity is alien to them.

It's up to the officials to make the calls not the players. 2 of the goals were offside and Bayerns 2nd was offside too. The sending off was a joke and each official should be ashamed of themselves.

That does not take anything away from Ronaldos achievements and it's pretty petty to try use that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

CR7 what a player. I doubt we'll ever see anything like him again. He's won everything in club football and doing so as well in different leagues and captained his country to their first ever international trophy.His mental strength and determination is the best of any player I've ever witnessed.I've been very fortunate too have seen him live on numerous occasions both while playing for Utd and Real.

He isn't dead.

Don't think anyone thinks it's that bad. Are they intimidated by a club the size of madrid. Maybe. Saying that he probably wouldn't have given the pen if he was. It is tough to explain it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Not sure anyone thinks bribing is really involved, but Florentino Perez is the most powerful President in football and Real Madrid, and by extension Spain, seem very powerful in European football. How much Uefa benefit financially from the relationship remains to be seen. How much does it impact on officiating? You judge for yourself. There's not much digging required to see how many key decisions have gone their way in Spain, whether that extends to Europe it's tough to say but seeing some of the pictures and videos of incidents from tonight it's very tough to justify that being just a poor night at the office for the officiating team and it's no surprise that Real Madrid vehemently oppose the introduction of video officiating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Marcelo may now get the recognition he deserves. Been the best LB for years & a great understanding with Ronaldo.

Don't think anyone thinks it's that bad. Are they intimidated by a club the size of madrid. Maybe. Saying that he probably wouldn't have given the pen if he was. It is tough to explain it though.

Go to La Liga thread and even here when Madrid pkay and half the posts about Madrid are about Refs giving Real decisions.

irishman86 wrote: »
    Just in the same way you concluded most people were disgusted friend, I conclude most people dont think that way. Both of us are backed with nothing but our own massively flawed egos :D
    So because Im not disgusted I have no real interest in the game, that is actually a more pathetic comment than anything else wrote here today
    Well maybe you had money on R Madrid and the officials swung the tie in your side's favour? Big woop for you.

For any neutral watching that was a really good tie totally ruined by the officials. For the game of football at that level to be ruined like that is nothing short of a disgrace. What's pathetic is that the technology is there to help mitigate against such a thing happening and that up till now they have resisted using it.

Not sure anyone thinks bribing is really involved, but Florentino Perez is the most powerful President in football and Real Madrid, and by extension Spain, seem very powerful in European football. How much Uefa benefit financially from the relationship remains to be seen. How much does it impact on officiating? You judge for yourself. There's not much digging required to see how many key decisions have gone their way in Spain, whether that extends to Europe it's tough to say but seeing some of the pictures and videos of incidents from tonight it's very tough to justify that being just a poor night at the office for the officiating team and it's no surprise that Real Madrid vehemently oppose the introduction of video officiating.

Tbf you watch more Spanish football then me.

You could be right. Just I think its not as clear cut as that. But then again I dont support a La Liga side. Never really felt like Refs give them more advantage then other clubs.

I dont really like Madrid bar Ronaldo, but really I just feel even small decisions seem cause upheaval

Btw I wanted Bayern to go through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Ronaldo is like Gerd Muller or Hugo Sanchez. Great striker and scores lots of goals. All around play has, since he joined Real, not been as good as when he was at Man Utd.

Before anyone jumps down my throat about those comparisons, we are talking about, in Mullers case, one of the greatest strikers in history and in Sanchez case, one of the most Prolific, dynamic and flamboyant foreign strikers ever to grace La Liga.

Just on this, as I've seen it mentioned a few times here recently. It's an absolute myth that Ronaldo hasn't or doesn't contribute in open play.

Whilst his influence this season has been waining (Don't think all is right physically) his contributions in seasons past in open play are extremely under rated.

As recently as last season he was still pulling defences all over the place. People compare him with messi (who is technically a better player) and think Ronaldo should be on the ball and playing passes and build up in the same manner. They play in teams with vastly different styles and are completely different players yet both equally effective.

The man is a genius. Himself and messi are the 2 best to ever do it.

Really? I didn't know that. That is a damning indictment of them as a football club if that is the case.

• Advertisement

Right Leicester are out so that means whoever finishes 4th now in the premier league can relax they will not be demoted to the Europa League, unless they lose their play off game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

CR7 what a player. I doubt we'll ever see anything like him again. He's won everything in club football and doing so as well in different leagues and captained his country to their first ever international trophy.His mental strength and determination is the best of any player I've ever witnessed.I've been very fortunate too have seen him live on numerous occasions both while playing for Utd and Real.

Actually Nani captained them to the win Ronaldo had left the pitch in the final in the 8th minute long before they scored in ET :D

It was an odd tournament finishing third in 2012 would have seen them out, they won one game in normal time.

His mental strength is the best you've ever seen? Can remember throwing a strop on many an occasion.

Regardless great player goes without saying, carried his side through 4 goals in the tie albeit his last 2 here were ones where the offside flag needed to be raised. 100 goals in this competition and 41st hattrick for Real or something mad like that incredible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/footballespana_/status/854452215565647874

Ronaldo having to ask Real fans not to whistle him.

Incredible considering what he has done for the club. But it sums up there fanbase. Many are gloryhunters who are hard to please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

nothing will be done about that officiating display tonight and thats worse than what went on in the game. it too big a stage to be decided by mistakes,not even close calls,just blatant wrong decisions.

What's funny is if it were Leicester playing Bayern or Madrid and the calls went their way in a tie like this, you could expect much quicker action - or at least much louder murmurs about it from people with the power to do so.

Tbf you watch more Spanish football then me.

You could be right. Just I think its not as clear cut as that. But then again I dont support a La Liga side. Never really felt like Refs give them more advantage then other clubs.

I dont really like Madrid bar Ronaldo, but really I just feel even small decisions seem cause upheaval

Btw I wanted Bayern to go through

I can't remember who but somebody posted a brilliant article outlining 36 big decisions that have gone in favour of Real Madrid this season in the league. You'll always get a few, and being a big club with more of the ball and being in opposition territory more often you'll probably get more advantageous decisions than smaller clubs but 36 is an insane number. Real Madrid have an incredible squad, the best squad in football. They have some of the best players in the world, some real champions at the top level, throw in 36 incorrect big decisions and you just can't top that, there's literally no beating that. The decisions tonight are staggering from what I'm seeing. Like I said though, there's a reason they don't want video officiating to be implemented and there's a reason this refereeing performance won't received a quarter of the coverage across Europe that Barça's did against PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Goals from the quarterfinal stage onwards: Ronaldo 32, Messi 16.

And which of these players doesn't show up in big games?

He did, it's who I have the bet with.

Him scoring another few goals changes nothing in terms of my views on him, due to his weekly deficiencies over 90 minutes. I've always said he's a world class goal scorer over the years, and nothing has changed just because he scored another few. But he will always fall short of the true greats of the game due the the aforementioned point. I put him alongside the other great goal scorers, but don't rate him close the Maradona's or Cruyffs of this world. He is what he is, a great goal scorer, whose stats are inflated in the era and team he plays in. I've always been consistent on this.
    Fair play for paying out, for what it's worth I lost a bet on the US election with a poster here so know well about coming out on the wrong side.

That said, if you want to claim he only scores goals he had 5 assists in the CL 6 games before the Bayern tie. Can't agree on his overall play, he was a threat today throughout the game.

Really? I didn't know that. That is a damning indictment of them as a football club if that is the case.

Yep, they are in record as saying they don't want it introduced. You won't be surprised to hear that Barcelona do want it introduced. You may end up with a situation where Spain is the only top level league in Europe not to have it. (Just like goal line technology, which also benefited Madrid this season ).

I can't remember who but somebody posted a brilliant article outlining 36 big decisions that have gone in favour of Real Madrid this season in the league. You'll always get a few, and being a big club with more of the ball and being in opposition territory more often you'll probably get more advantageous decisions than smaller clubs but 36 is an insane number. Real Madrid have an incredible squad, the best squad in football. They have some of the best players in the world, some real champions at the top level, throw in 36 incorrect big decisions and you just can't top that, there's literally no beating that. The decisions tonight are staggering from what I'm seeing. Like I said though, there's a reason they don't want video officiating to be implemented and there's a reason this refereeing performance won't received a quarter of the coverage across Europe that Barça's did against PSG.

Fair enough. I agree with that really. Did not know about them not wanting video refs. Thats interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If one of the Bayern goals should've been ruled out for offside then surely the net effect of all decisions being correct would be Real going through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Is 36 a lot though? It seems it at first glance but without sitting down and watching how many Barca, Munich etc have gotten its a bit of a meaningless statistic.

Can't say I saw the match
    men-in-black.jpg

Well maybe you had money on R Madrid and the officials swung the tie in your side's favour? Big woop for you.

For any neutral watching that was a really good tie totally ruined by the officials. For the game of football at that level to be ruined like that is nothing short of a disgrace. What's pathetic is that the technology is there to help mitigate against such a thing happening and that up till now they have resisted using it.

No I was a neutral nothing on the game. The game wasnt ruined for me, I think perhaps you werent the neutral. Thats what the over reaction was about.
    Unlike you I enjoyed the football on display and couldnt care less if Real/Bayern won in the end.
    Did you have the same feelings in other dodgy results ??

Fair enough. I agree with that really. Did not know about them not wanting video refs. Thats interesting.

In one way they're an incredible club to follow, they have their agenda and the way they set about achieving it is absolutely ruthless, which is why this refereeing performance wont get the same level of media treatment as it would if it occured in a game with other top clubs. Perez runs a tight ship and rules with an iron fist. Here's just a tiny insight into how Perez controls the media through fear and intimidation.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/real-madrid/86/blog/post/3070900/real-madrid-at-the-centre-of-la-ligas-latest-refereeing-controversy-and-row

Also keep in mind that the La Liga President mentioned in this is article is Javier Tebas, a devout Madridtista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Right Leicester are out so that means whoever finishes 4th now in the premier league can relax they will not be demoted to the Europa League, unless they lose their play off game

No playoffs for English clubs anymore, its 4 automatic I think!

• Advertisement

ceegee wrote: »
    Is 36 a lot though? It seems it at first glance but without sitting down and watching how many Barca, Munich etc have gotten its a bit of a meaningless statistic.

It is. It's not just throw ins called incorrectly or the odd free in the middle of the park. It's key decisions. I can safely say that I've not seen any of the top English, Spanish (Real Madrid aside) or German clubs get that number of big decisions in their favour. But I do think there is something inherently flawed about a league presided over by a President who so openly supports one of the two big clubs, and a team of officials who almost all favour that one club too. Spain is a bit strange and in a different situation to the other top league's in cultural terms post Franco and being a kind of made up country, it's always important to remember that backdrop when you're talking about Spain and Spanish football.

No I was a neutral nothing on the game. The game wasnt ruined for me, I think perhaps you werent the neutral. Thats what the over reaction was about.
    Unlike you I enjoyed the football on display and couldnt care less if Real/Bayern won in the end.
    Did you have the same feelings in other dodgy results ??

The sending off killed extra time though. It was end to end before that, it was one sided after. How could a neutral enjoy that.

Mushy wrote: »
    No playoffs for English clubs anymore, its 4 automatic I think!

That is from next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That is from next season

Thought it was starting from the start of next season, at least there's one more year of decency left!

Yep, they are in record as saying they don't want it introduced. You won't be surprised to hear that Barcelona do want it introduced. You may end up with a situation where Spain is the only top level league in Europe not to have it. (Just like goal line technology, which also benefited Madrid this season ).
    They should have no say in the matter, it should be implemented across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

That is a damning indictment of them as a football club if that is the case.

Nonsense.

You can oppose something if you feel it would be detrimental to the sport if not used properly and knowing the governing bodies do you feel they would do so ?
    Who is the ref if every decision was overseen by a video ref, tonight we had 3 2nd yellows not given before the one that wasn't a 2nd yellow given but as we all know if the first was given then nothing afterwards actually happens. We also had the offside goals which none would have happened if the correct 2nd yellow was given but didn't happen.
    What decisions should video refs actually give or be asked to review ? All of them or just certain ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mushy wrote:
    Thought it was starting from the start of next season, at least there's one more year of decency left!

Hey I'm still holding out hope for Milan to get a place on historical merit in case this Chinese takeover doesn't work out :p

The sending off killed extra time though. It was end to end before that, it was one sided after. How could a neutral enjoy that.

Because I didnt care who won! Easy!
    Like you the game was brilliant and Vidal/Casemiro should have been gone way before the red, which I think was a red even if he got the ball.
    As a neutral you are more likely to just laugh at decisions when a team you support isnt involved

They should have no say in the matter, it should be implemented across the board.

It 100% should be, but at the moment only the Bundesliga will be using a form of it next season. I have no doubt Spain will be the last to implement it, and they'll blame it on the cost of the technology and they'll have a raft of excuses but it will mainly be because Perez and Madrid wield all the power at the moment and can do such things because it benefits their club.

d22ontour wrote: »
    Nonsense.

You can oppose something if you feel it would be detrimental to the sport if not used properly and knowing the governing bodies do you feel they would do so ?
    Who is the ref if every decision was overseen by a video ref, tonight we had 3 2nd yellows not given before the one that wasn't a 2nd yellow given but as we all know if the first was given then nothing afterwards actually happens. We also had the offside goals which none would have happened if the correct 2nd yellow was given but didn't happen.
    What decisions should video refs actually give or be asked to review ? All of them or just certain ones..
    Video refs could mitigate against certain decisions by officials. You could have a flag system like in American football where a coach would have an opportunity to call for a review once in each half. This would ensure the coach would use their opportunity wisely.

Any club, as Real Madrid appear to be, that is against bringing in video reffing of some kind is acting in a very suspicious manner.

It 100% should be, but at the moment only the Bundesliga will be using a form of it next season. I have no doubt Spain will be the last to implement it, and they'll blame it on the cost of the technology and they'll have a raft of excuses but it will mainly be because Perez and Madrid wield all the power at the moment and can do such things because it benefits their club.

Like another poster said, Im not 100% sure on video refs. Unlike rugby where there is a lot of stoppages, I think it will be difficult to implement.
    Maybe like tennis they could have a certain amount of challenges

It certainly looks to be that way. Why else would they be against it? The stench of corruption is strong with Real.

Like another poster said, Im not 100% sure on video refs. Unlike rugby where there is a lot of stoppages, I think it will be difficult to implement.
    Maybe like tennis they could have a certain amount of challenges

They could use a challenge system. Or just rule only on offside, penalty and red card decisions. Literally anything would be better than the current setup though. Another big match spoiled by officiating, how is that good for the sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Bollox to all that, one of your many clubs you support has benefited from shít refs/decisons over the years even with them being one of the greatest club sides of all time. Even your 2nd or is it 3rd team Chelsea got screwed against them one year but i guess it was just misfortune against what you are alluding to ?

It certainly looks to be that way. Why else would they be against it? The stench of corruption is strong with Real.

I absolutely don't disagree. Like I said, I don't begrudge them success even if I don't enjoy it, it's an incredible collection of footballers they have at their disposal, but far too often it's strange officiating that takes centre stage in their games and trophy campaigns.

• Advertisement
Advertisement