Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They could use a challenge system. Or just rule only on offside, penalty and red card decisions. Literally anything would be better than the current setup though. Another big match spoiled by officiating, how is that good for the sport?
    Anything would be better than the current non existent use of video reffing, and anyone against the introduction of video reffing in some kind of format is either an idiot or for the watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Is the Champions League thread not safe from this type of nonsense either? Real were extremely lucky tonight with decisions and it was very harsh on Bayern, but the amount of things people add up themselves from that is bizarre. It's sad that bad and poor officiating decisions can't be discussed without some shadowy corner conspiracies thrown in every time. Does the linesman not stick up his flag for Ronaldo's goal because 'oh look it's Real, better keep it down' or was it just a poor decision? Some people like to collate decisions into one handy pack to debate rather than individual moments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

They could use a challenge system. Or just rule only on offside, penalty and red card decisions. Literally anything would be better than the current setup though. Another big match spoiled by officiating, how is that good for the sport?

I could see a challenge system being the only way. Offside would probably be to frequent. If you had it for cards, every ref would be fearful of making a call. Its tough, unlike goal line technology video ref would be harder. I agree with what your saying, just that for every decision it would end up worse than NFL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

d22ontour wrote: »
    Bollox to all that, one of your many clubs you support has benefited from shít refs/decisons over the years even with them being one of the greatest club sides of all time. Even your 2nd or is it 3rd team Chelsea got screwed against them one year but i guess it was just misfortune against what you are alluding to ?

This is kinda what I'm talking about in a roundabout way. You mention the Barca/Chelsea tie which is 8 years old (the years they do fly) and people still talk about that. It got massive coverage because Barça are a good target and because it involved an English club. By the way, when they talk about that tie they never mention the incorrect Abidal sending off but that's a different matter. I guarantee you, in 8 years time you wont talk about the scandal tonight, you won't remember it. How Real Madrid control media is fascinating and, essentially, they are able to rewrite history through media control. In 16 years time you'll still remember Chelsea/Barça though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

It is. It's not just throw ins called incorrectly or the odd free in the middle of the park. It's key decisions. I can safely say that I've not seen any of the top English, Spanish (Real Madrid aside) or German clubs get that number of big decisions in their favour. But I do think there is something inherently flawed about a league presided over by a President who so openly supports one of the two big clubs, and a team of officials who almost all favour that one club too. Spain is a bit strange and in a different situation to the other top league's in cultural terms post Franco and being a kind of made up country, it's always important to remember that backdrop when you're talking about Spain and Spanish football.

But these key decisions are being judged on their outcomes.
    Scenario A: Ronaldo is offside but not flagged and he scores.
    Scenario B: opposition striker is offside 3 times, not flagged and hits Row Z with his shot each time.

The refereeing in scenario B is objectively worse but because of the outcome of A, people will claim Madrid got the key decisions in their favour.

Likewise with 2nd yellows. If a Madrid player gets away with a tackle and they win its a "key decision", if the opposition get away with 3 players doing the same but still lose then it's not a big deal.

Better teams will always seem to get more of the big decisions because they punish teams when things go their way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I can safely say that I've not seen any of the top English, Spanish (Real Madrid aside) or German clubs get that number of big decisions in their favour

Uefalona for sure.

Corholio wrote: »
    Is the Champions League thread not safe from this type of nonsense either? Real were extremely lucky tonight with decisions and it was very harsh on Bayern, but the amount of things people add up themselves from that is bizarre. It's sad that bad and poor officiating decisions can't be discussed without some shadowy corner conspiracies thrown in every time. Does the linesman not stick up his flag for Ronaldo's goal because 'oh look it's Real, better keep it down' or was it just a poor decision? Some people like to collate decisions into one handy pack to debate rather than individual moments.
    Why are Real against the introduction of video refereeing? Are they against the introduction of video refereeing in every format? If they are it makes them look suspicious.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Why are Real against the introduction of video refereeing? Are they against the introduction of video refereeing in every format? If they are it makes them look suspicious.

Ah come now buddy, you clearly have a agenda, and to think you had the cheek to say you were a neutral when you have spent the next hour attacking Real Madrid.

ceegee wrote: »
    But these key decisions are being judged on their outcomes.
    Scenario A: Ronaldo is offside but not flagged and he scores.
    Scenario B: opposition striker is offside 3 times, not flagged and hits Row Z with his shot each time.

The refereeing in scenario B is objectively worse but because of the outcome of A, people will claim Madrid got the key decisions in their favour.

Likewise with 2nd yellows. If a Madrid player gets away with a tackle and they win its a "key decision", if the opposition get away with 3 players doing the same but still lose then it's not a big deal.

Better teams will always seem to get more of the big decisions because they punish teams when things go their way

But it was 2 big teams playing tonight with a relatively equal share of ball possession.

I think the point is though that how often do teams get 3 incorrect offside decisions in their favour against Real Madrid (or ever, because that does seem like a very high number). And using a real life example the 2nd yellow for Vidal is galling because clearly it's a very good tackle. On the other hand, Casemiro made over 7 fouls after his yellow card, at one stage was approached by the ref after a foul he made, ref puts hand in pocket, sees the offender is Casemiro and it'll be a sending off, and insteas opts not to book him. That's tough to stomach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think there is just too much conspiracy nonsense around Real Madrid, as if they are some sort of secret world order controlling UEFA and FIFA.

Look, they are a big club, if not the biggest.

If you look through football history, big clubs can often be seen to get big decisions in their favour by officials. And I mean all big clubs. I'm sure if you were to ask supporters of small clubs in Spain, Germany etc about dodgy decisions against them, they would have plenty of examples of where Barca, Bayern, Dortmund etc got dodgy calls over them. Its not just Real Madrid out on their own.

All this talk is based on subjective opinions. Its a case of "every time I watch Real Madrid they seem to get all the decisions". Yes it happened tonight, but its a very broad statement to make, as I'm sure if proper analysis was done Madrid fans could point to plenty of decisions they think went against them.

Sure what if I was to say that Robben's penalty, which brought Munich right back into the tie, wasn't a pen? I think it was harsh, and that Robben is a master of diving. I think Madrid could easily say they were hard done by with that call. Surely if there was a great conspiracy to get Madrid to win the CL every year, the ref would not have given that penalty at such a stage in the game?

I think its time people caught themselves on. Madrid, like Barca, Munich etc, all the big teams, spend vast sums of money on the best players and their wages, usually dominate most games and create most chances, they are likely to get into positions for a human referee/linesman to make a difficult decision wrong, once it is over-analysed to death on multiple slo-mo video replays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

This is kinda what I'm talking about in a roundabout way. You mention the Barca/Chelsea tie which is 8 years old (the years they do fly) and people still talk about that. It got massive coverage because Barça are a good target and because it involved an English club. By the way, when they talk about that tie they never mention the incorrect Abidal sending off but that's a different matter. I guarantee you, in 8 years time you wont talk about the scandal tonight, you won't remember it. How Real Madrid control media is fascinating and, essentially, they are able to rewrite history through media control. In 16 years time you'll still remember Chelsea/Barça though.

You are everything that is wrong with football fans of your type, you claim to want change as decisions benefited one of the team you least support tonight ? yet swing to an incorrect decision in a game in which your number one team actually benefited from shít decisions all night.

I want change because the team i don't like benefited from **** decisons but the shít decisons the team i do like won them trophies doesn't count.

WTF is this shít ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

You are everything that is wrong with football fans of your type, you claim to want change as decisions benefited one of the team you least support tonight ? yet swing to an incorrect decision in a game in which your number one team actually benefited from shít decisions all night.

I want change because the team i don't like benefited from ****e decisions but the ****e decisions the team i do like won them trophies doesn't count.

WTF is this ****e ?

Not sure what it has to do with the individual match tonight, but ok.

It stems from the Club World Cup last year where Real had a goal allowed, disallowed and then allowed again in the Club World Cup last year. It was a mess of a system they used. I've never seen where Real have been vehemently against video refereeing tbh. Technology is inevitable, even the shadowy, running the league Real Madrid will be using it.

You'll probably see quite the considerable drop off of posts in threads about Real when it does come in as well.

Any links to Madrids anti-video policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Suspicious of what exactly? Influencing referees? Cheating? Match fixing? Bribes?

• Advertisement

irishman86 wrote: »
    Ah come now buddy, you clearly have a agenda, and to think you had the cheek to say you were a neutral when you have spent the next hour attacking Real Madrid.
    My agenda is that I want to see video reffing introduced. In my view the best would be video reffing with a flag system where each manager gets a chance to review a decision or maybe two decisions in each half and another one in extra time if needed.

I think Bayern Munich were robbed tonight. It might have went all the way to penalties perhaps, but they were strong favourites at 2-1 up before the officials intervened and swung the tie in Real's favour. That's what happened tonight. That's how much of an influence the officials had on the outcome of the tie.

It stems from the Club World Cup last year where Real had a goal allowed, disallowed and then allowed again in the Club World Cup last year. It was a mess of a system they used. I've never seen where Real have been vehemently against video refereeing tbh. Technology is inevitable, even the shadowy, running the league Real Madrid will be using it.

You'll probably see quite the considerable drop off of posts in threads about Real when it does come in as well.

It wasnt even a club view, it was Modric and Zidane who said something

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think there is just too much conspiracy nonsense around Real Madrid, as if they are some sort of secret world order controlling UEFA and FIFA.

Look, they are a big club, if not the biggest.

If you look through football history, big clubs can often be seen to get big decisions in their favour by officials. And I mean all big clubs. I'm sure if you were to ask supporters of small clubs in Spain, Germany etc about dodgy decisions against them, they would have plenty of examples of where Barca, Bayern, Dortmund etc got dodgy calls over them. Its not just Real Madrid out on their own.

All this talk is based on subjective opinions. Its a case of "every time I watch Real Madrid they seem to get all the decisions". Yes it happened tonight, but its a very broad statement to make, as I'm sure if proper analysis was done Madrid fans could point to plenty of decisions they think went against them.

Sure what if I was to say that Robben's penalty, which brought Munich right back into the tie, wasn't a pen? I think it was harsh, and that Robben is a master of diving. I think Madrid could easily say they were hard done by with that call. Surely if there was a great conspiracy to get Madrid to win the CL every year, the ref would not have given that penalty at such a stage in the game?

I think its time people caught themselves on. Madrid, like Barca, Munich etc, all the big teams, spend vast sums of money on the best players and their wages, usually dominate most games and create most chances, they are likely to get into positions for a human referee/linesman to make a difficult decision wrong, once it is over-analysed to death on multiple slo-mo video replays.

Maybe if it's just one game you say, ok that was a dreadful officiating performance and it's decided a huge game but it's just a once off. But it's not a once off. It's effectively decided La Liga. It's knocked Bayern Munich out of the Champions League tonight. I genuinely do have sympathy for officials. They aren't backed by the top brass, they have to deal with two large groups containing players, coaches, executives ect. who will say and do anything to gain even a marginal advantage for their club, they come under intense scrutiny for every decision they make and they are hampered by a setup designed to officiate the sport over 100 years ago and the officiating procedures simply haven't evolved at the same rate as the play has. Simply put, they have it tough. All of that being said, at some stage, when you've got opposition players and coaches crying conspiracy, and it seems that not a week passes without more strange officiating in that club's games, eventually somebody needs to take a closer look at this.

Any links to Madrids anti-video policy?

Just google Modric world club cup final. Thats about it, he said he didnt like it and he plays for Real so if you take a massive jump then thats a official club statement :pac:

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Suspicious of what exactly? Influencing referees? Cheating? Match fixing? Bribes?
    Video refereeing would mitigate against the natural order of where the big club gets most of the decisions. Real Madrid arguing against the introduction of video reffing in any format, if that is their position, would certainly make them look suspicious of preferring the status quo which appears to benefit them. Video reffing in some format should be brought in across the board whether they like it or not.

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote: »

I want change because the team i don't like benefited from ****e decisions but the ****e decisions the team i do like won them trophies doesn't count.

WTF is this ****e ?

Didn't understand a lot of that post but I think I've always been consistently and strongly pro video officiating so...

But it was 2 big teams playing tonight with a relatively equal share of ball possession.

I think the point is though that how often do teams get 3 incorrect offside decisions in their favour against Real Madrid (or ever, because that does seem like a very high number). And using a real life example the 2nd yellow for Vidal is galling because clearly it's a very good tackle. On the other hand, Casemiro made over 7 fouls after his yellow card, at one stage was approached by the ref after a foul he made, ref puts hand in pocket, sees the offender is Casemiro and it'll be a sending off, and insteas opts not to book him. That's tough to stomach.

I'd be fairly sure Real have had 3 wrong calls go against them in a match fairly regularly, all teams do. The only notable thing about tonight is that they scored from them. You nearly always have a couple of instances in a game of players being flagged when they're onside, and equally players who are offside but not flagged. 3 of them happening against a team isnt that unusual. But 90% of the time it leads to nothing so people forget about it.

Video refereeing would mitigate against the natural order of where the big club gets most of the decisions. Real Madrid arguing against the introduction of video reffing in any format, if that is their position, would certainly make them look suspicious of preferring the status quo which appears to benefit them. Video reffing in some format should be brought in across the board whether they like it or not.

Real arent arguing against it. Luka Modric made a point after the world club cup, why are you just ignoring this fact instead of just blathering on.

Just google Modric world club cup final. Thats about it, he said he didnt like it and he plays for Real so if you take a massive jump then thats a official club statement :pac:

Tough to find on English speaking sites but remember reading that Madrid officials and top level execs were outright against it in Japan and all indications were they'd oppose it if La Liga were to possibly introduce it. When it will inevitably be discussed by La Liga, rest assured 100% Real Madrid will oppose it.

Maybe if it's just one game you say, ok that was a dreadful officiating performance and it's decided a huge game but it's just a once off. But it's not a once off. It's effectively decided La Liga. It's knocked Bayern Munich out of the Champions League tonight. I genuinely do have sympathy for officials. They aren't backed by the top brass, they have to deal with two large groups containing players, coaches, executives ect. who will say and do anything to gain even a marginal advantage for their club, they come under intense scrutiny for every decision they make and they are hampered by a setup designed to officiate the sport over 100 years ago and the officiating procedures simply haven't evolved at the same rate as the play has. Simply put, they have it tough. All of that being said, at some stage, when you've got opposition players and coaches crying conspiracy, and it seems that not a week passes without more strange officiating in that club's games, eventually somebody needs to take a closer look at this.

For the record, I am 100% behind video refs.

I have seen far too many games over the years decided on bad refs and dodgy calls, and its simply not fair that teams suffer, like Munich tonight.

But as you say, refs are in a terrible position. They are making calls in a split second when every player on the pitch is a master cheater, when so much faking and feigning injury occurs. They are in a no-win situation.

Football over the last decade has been taken over by us talking about refs more than players far too often. I think the football authorities like this, its adds to the hype around the game, even if some teams lose out to a bad call.

Tough to find on English speaking sites but remember reading that Madrid officials and top level execs were outright against it in Japan and all indications were they'd oppose it if La Liga were to possibly introduce it. When it will inevitably be discussed by La Liga, rest assured 100% Real Madrid will oppose it.
    sorry, but this again is subjective. Its only your opinion.

We'll all see when the time comes. I think if every single team in world football agreed to video refs tomorrow, I doubt Real Madrid would say no.

Yeah well, if video reffing was available tonight, I reckon that match would've have went to penalties, or more likely Bayern would've got a 3rd goal which would've killed the tie. That's how much of a difference using technology already available would've made in that game tonight.

I'd be fairly sure Real have had 3 wrong calls go against them in a match fairly regularly, all teams do. The only notable thing about tonight is that they scored from them. You nearly always have a couple of instances in a game of players being flagged when they're onside, and equally players who are offside but not flagged. 3 of them happening against a team isnt that unusual. But 90% of the time it leads to nothing so people forget about it.

To me, 3 offsides seems like a lot but maybe I'm just getting hung up on that detail. Perhaps Real Madrid punish officiating mistakes more clinically, which makes sense because they have great players, but my point is that they get far more mistakes to punish than other top sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kave2

My agenda is that I want to see video reffing introduced. In my view the best would be video reffing with a flag system where each manager gets a chance to review a decision or maybe two decisions in each half and another one in extra time if needed.

I think Bayern Munich were robbed tonight. It might have went all the way to penalties perhaps, but they were strong favourites at 2-1 up before the officials intervened and swung the tie in Real's favour. That's what happened tonight. That's how much of an influence the officials had on the outcome of the tie.

Robben dived for penalty and Bayern second was offside. So it should've​ been 1:0 for Madrid at the time and game would be done and dusted already.

I dont agree they will appose it. I could say 100% Celta Vigo will appose it in the end we are just a bunch of fools with internet access talking ****e :pac:
    I havent found any even in Japanese, your googling skills must out rank mine, I remember Modric talking about it thats it and that was mostly because of the **** up that happened, if you watched the game Im sure you remember :eek:

• Advertisement

For the record, I am 100% behind video refs.

I have seen far too many games over the years decided on bad refs and dodgy calls, and its simply not fair that teams suffer, like Munich tonight.

But as you say, refs are in a terrible position. They are making calls in a split second when every player on the pitch is a master cheater, when so much faking and feigning injury occurs. They are in a no-win situation.

Football over the last decade has been taken over by us talking about refs more than players far too often. I think the football authorities like this, its adds to the hype around the game, even if some teams lose out to a bad call.
    I never understood this argument. I think it undermines the game in a huge way and makes it look amateurish.

sorry, but this again is subjective. Its only your opinion.

We'll all see when the time comes. I think if every single team in world football agreed to video refs tomorrow, I doubt Real Madrid would say no.

That is true, but I'm fairly confident when the time comes it'll be correct.

It'll be rolled out on a league by league basis, I'm not a betting man but La Liga being the last of the big 5/6 leagues to introduce it is as safe a bet as you can make.

kave2 wrote: »
    Robben dived for penalty and Bayern second was offside. So it should've​ been 1:0 for Madrid at the time and game would be done and dusted already.
    If you're correct then video reffing would've reinforced those decisions.

Yeah well, if video reffing was available tonight, I reckon that match would've have went to penalties, or more likely Bayern would've got a 3rd goal which would've killed the tie. That's how much of a difference using technology already available would've made in that game tonight.

I don't know what your argument is against to be honest. I'd be in favour of decisions by video as well and yes the wrong decisions tonight wouldn't have happened. The point is the wrong decisions tonight were just that, not some sort of grand conspiracy. I've never read that Real were against video reffing, they were unhappy with the system that was used in the Club World Cup, where it took over 60 seconds to re-award a goal. Even if they had been against it, they would be wrong in that regard for sure, as it will eventually progress that way anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I remember hearing some other reasoning for why video refereeing is nowhere near being introduced in Spain.

It was a lot more systemic than Madrid not wanting it.

Had to to do with the body that would make that decision and if I remember correctly there's a conflict of interest between that group and the technology providers. Maybe they have a vested interest in the most likely provider being used not getting the gig.

I dont agree they will appose it. I could say 100% Celta Vigo will appose it in the end we are just a bunch of fools with internet access talking ****e :pac:
    I havent found any even in Japanese, your googling skills must out rank mine, I remember Modric talking about it thats it and that was mostly because of the **** up that happened, if you watched the game Im sure you remember :eek:

Definitely won't be in Japanese, Spanish article shared on Twitter I think it was.

Haha that's true, and it won't be known whose right til they sit down and discuss it but all indications from their club has been that they don't want it introduced and that'll play out when it comes time to discuss implementing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kave2

Definitely won't be in Japanese, Spanish article shared on Twitter I think it was.

Haha that's true, and it won't be known whose right til they sit down and discuss it but all indications from their club has been that they don't want it introduced and that'll play out when it comes time to discuss implementing it.

You keep saying the same thing but still no proof.

Oh well, looking forward to La Liga bringing in video technology in 2039 20 years after every other top league...

But ye, basically, you'll see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If video refs had been used for the last 100 years, 99% of final placings would have been the same in League football. It would have made some difference in cup tournaments.

• Advertisement

Any neutral observer watching that tonight would have their suspicions. They wouldn't be able to stand them up but they'd have their suspicions nonetheless.

The match tonight was heavily skewed in favour of Real Madrid in terms of "decisions". It was a disgrace and ultimately undermined the integrity of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've been largely on the fence about video technology, but lately I've changed my mind to view it more favourably.

Largely because once it becomes part and parcel of the top level of the game it will give The Conspiracy Theorists out there one less place to hide their biases behind.

There is also the problem of the video refs opinion on some calls.

Take Robbens penalty tonight. I don;t think it was a penalty, yet most do.
    Even watching the slo-mo, I think there wasn't much wrong in the tackle.

Same every Saturday night on MOTD, I see pundits saying "it was a penalty for me", yet the other pundit/me/whoever might disagree.

By the way, Arturo Vidal has gone off in the mix zone. Asked about Pique's comments about Real Madrid and officials he says "not only he is right but everyone knows football too knows its a robbery" also says "when Madrid got scared, the ref began his show." "When two big teams like this meet in Champions League, such a robbery can't happen."

I think anyone who reads players interviews pre and post game, or just knows the game will know that's just not the language of a professional footballer even after a defeat. Madrid will say he's just a sore loser but that's not how pro players, or coaches, speak after losing a match. He's not the first opponent to level such claims against Madrid either.

Arghus wrote: »
    I've been largely on the fence about video technology, but lately I've changed my mind to view it more favourably.

Largely because once it becomes part and parcel of the top level of the game it will give The Conspiracy Theorists out there one less place to hide their biases behind.
    Great. Another convert. Every one counts.

Any neutral observer watching that tonight would have their suspicions. They wouldn't be able to stand them up but they'd have their suspicions nonetheless.

The match tonight was heavily skewed in favour of Real Madrid in terms of "decisions". It was a disgrace and ultimately undermined the integrity of the game.

suspicions of what though?

Do you actually think Real Madrid are passing money to officials?
    Or has the ref €100 on Madrid to win the CL this season?

Or perhaps he is just making mistakes? Like the Robben penalty?

• Advertisement

No they wouldnt, a biased person would. A neutral would think maybe we should get video refs Bayern/Madrid both got bad decisions go there way. A biased person would think Real dont want video cameras because well......... I have no reason, rabble rabble rabble

To me, 3 offsides seems like a lot but maybe I'm just getting hung up on that detail. Perhaps Real Madrid punish officiating mistakes more clinically, which makes sense because they have great players, but my point is that they get far more mistakes to punish than other top sides.

You could be right, just seems to me that replays showing linesmen to have made the wrong call happen in nearly every match.

I think the Herrera handball is another instance of how outcomes cloud our opinions on ref decisions. 9 times out of 10 he would have mis-hit that through ball and nobody would be mentioning it, but the ref wouldn't have been any better or worse had he not made that pass

suspicions of what though?

Do you actually think Real Madrid are passing money to officials?
    Or has the ref €100 on Madrid to win the CL this season?

Or perhaps he is just making mistakes? Like the Robben penalty?

I don't think anybody thinks it's a Juventus type situation involving bribing. In Europe it's more to do with the political power of Real Madrid and Florentino Perez and their commercial might, in Spain it's Madrid's political power and the cultural powers at play unique to that country.

By the way, Arturo Vidal has gone off in the mix zone. Asked about Pique's comments about Real Madrid and officials he says "not only he is right but everyone knows football too knows its a robbery" also says "when Madrid got scared, the ref began his show." "When two big teams like this meet in Champions League, such a robbery can't happen."

I think anyone who reads players interviews pre and post game, or just knows the game will know that's just not the language of a professional footballer even after a defeat. Madrid will say he's just a sore loser but that's not how pro players, or coaches, speak after losing a match. He's not the first opponent to level such claims against Madrid either.

You cant quote Pique buddy :pac:
    I cant remember who said it, but when Iniesta says something I will listen.
    But Pique, no he is just a sore loser who hates Madrid. For me hes the sort of talented player who should not be let near the media, similar to Luke Fitzgerald in rugby
    After PSG he really shoudlnt comment on european refs

You could be right, just seems to me that replays showing linesmen to have made the wrong call happen in nearly every match.

I think the Herrera handball is another instance of how outcomes cloud our opinions on ref decisions. 9 times out of 10 he would have mis-hit that through ball and nobody would be mentioning it, but the ref wouldn't have been any better or worse had he not made that pass

100% right.

Running the line is an incredibly hard job to do, a lot of these decisions are incredibly hard to call, with inches in doubt.

You only have to watch any live match or MOTD to see that every single game has wrong decisions made in it, EVERY SINGLE GAME in world football, not just Real Madrid ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement