Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

AdamD wrote: »
    All the decisions didn't go against Bayern, some went against Madrid too.
    grand, but 1 yellow for Real vs 5 for Bayern (Casamira should have had 5 himself, including one for the penalty) - sort of shows how either luck or refereeing bias was in favour of the home team.

A lot here are supposing that the video ref will be like Rugby and butting in every 30seconds and ruining the flow of the game.
    It wont. It'll be along the lines of the recent France v Spain friendly where the video ref was barely used but it changed what would have been a 1-1 draw into a 2-0 win for Spain but after the game there was no complaints from the French.

And regarding it slowing the game down....... how long did it take for Bayern to be allowed to take the penalty last week in Munich with all the protests by (the bastion of football and fair play) Real Madrid ? Must have been 2 or 3 minutes, whereas a video ref would have that cleared up in 20 seconds.

Or see here, the French goal was first allowed, and then ruled offside by tv ref, and literally took no extra time in the game thanks to the french players dancing about for 40seconds at the corner flag in celebration by which time the goal was disallowed and a free out for Spain awarded rather than a kick off.
    CNN - "Glimpse into football's future as video ref stars in France vs. Spain clash"

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Juventus will surely go through tonight, I can't see Barca repeating the miracle against PSG.
    I fancy Monaco to go through too.
    From the teams left I'd fancy Real or Juve to win it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

NIMAN wrote: »
    So tell me this, do you think there aren't fans of Malaga, Leganes, Eibar, Granada etc who would say that Barca get favourable decisions against them?

Or small French teams v PSG
    Or small Italian teams v Juve
    Or small Portugese teams v Benfica/Porto.

Definitely there are. Though comparing them to Barça or Real Madrid is unfair purely based on a big team will have more of the ball against these small teams, they'll make far more chances, there's far more potential for them to get incorrect calls in their favour than it is for smaller clubs in those matches. You must compare big clubs with big clubs for a fair breakdown of incorrect decisions. In an ideal world, these game changing decisions wouldn't be weighted towards big or small clubs, they'd be balanced and correct.

I made this as well as many other points in a post on the La Liga thread when you were on one of your regular 'conspiracy theory' rants but once again you failed to adress it. You fail to acknowledge any of Barca's decisions that go in their favour so what gives you the right to rant about Real Madrid's decisions? As I said before I like your posts in general, many of them well informed but you have very little credibility on this topic if you don't acknowledge the fact that Barca get a plethora of decisions in their favour (like all big teams which focus on offensive football ) over the course of a season.

Video refs are the only thing that will solve this. Last night was very unfortunate but It was bad refereeing, not brown envelope officiating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Having no horse in the race, I'd like to see Juventus win it.

Its been far too long since theyve been European Champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Bjorn Kuipers 117 international games
    Totals: Home Away Total
    Penalties 26 9 35

You may be right

Where did you find that stat?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

GavRedKing wrote: »

You are pretty much like 80% of all other fans then, 20% allowing for teams still in the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GavRedKing wrote:

Lost the last 4 finals they were in 97, 98, 03 & 15. They will probably lose the game tonight but won't go out despite the tinfoil hat theorists on here. PSG gave them the blueprint of how not to approach it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

irishman86 wrote: »
    You are pretty much like 80% of all other fans then, 20% allowing for teams still in the cup.

I think anyone thats neutral will probably want Juve to win too and for Buffon to pick up a medal.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Lost the last 4 finals they were in 97, 98, 03 & 15. They will probably lose the game tonight but won't go out despite the tinfoil hat theorists on here. PSG gave them the blueprint of how not to approach it.

I agree, I think Barca will win tonight but cant see them scoring 4 or more goals and keeping Juve to a single goal or less.

The PSG result was Barcas final and they should have done much better than a 3-0 trashing in Turin, theres no way they'll manage to turn it around again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

fyfe79 wrote: »
    There seems to be an implication that anyone who's disappointed with the officiating from last night, is only sore because Ronaldo got a hat-trick?

For what it's worth, I'm a Liverpool fan so therefore should I be in love with Barcelona because Suarez is with them now? No. Couldn't care less about Barcelona. Or Madrid. I didn't care when Ronaldo joined them years ago and I care less now. If anything, Milan are my "second" team, having grown up watching them with Van Basten and Gullit (thanks to the excellent Monday evening highlights show on RTE...ah, the memories).

It is possible to have concerns about the standard of officiating in a major European club match, and discuss it, without being accused of having a vendetta against a certain player because he played for a certain other team nearly 10 years ago.

The two decisions last night were human error, unavoidable. It has always been there and always will be.

Video refereeing could cause just as many issues as it solves, how long after an incident can you make a call and are we going to see minutes of pointless game play only for it to be pulled back or teams abusing challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The two decisions last night were human error, unavoidable. It has always been there and always will be.

Video refereeing could cause just as many issues as it solves, how long after an incident can you make a call and are we going to see minutes of pointless game play only for it to be pulled back or teams abusing challenges.
    A video ref could've easily pointed out last night that the red card was wrong and Ronaldo's second and third were offside. All done without interrupting the game any more than the decisions themselves did.

It's been proven in the France v Spain game already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quazzie wrote: »
    A video ref could've easily pointed out last night that the red card was wrong and Ronaldo's second and third were offside. All done without interrupting the game any more than the decisions themselves did.

It's been proven in the France v Spain game already.

The Aussie league i think also have it up and running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The Aussie league i think also have it up and running

Yup they do.

A ref used it for a handball in the box that he mistakenly didn't give.

Working great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

A video ref with each team entitled to make 2/3 appeals could be an interesting resolution, prevent needless over pedantic appeals and will not slow down game extremely to the point of viewing enjoyment.

Rugby tempo is naturally different in that the game speed is dictated by stop-start flow anyway so "up stairs officiating isn't as hazardous to the entertainment of the game anyway. There are natural clock stoppages in between the systematic elements to the game itself so viewers were used to it and the flow of the game wasn't damaged considerably as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

There's something not right with the offside rule in its current form where a player can stand 10 metres offside, never be caught up with by the last defender and get on the end of a tap in to an open goal.

Surely it makes it a viable strategy to just position a player on the penalty spot when attacking, try and play wingers in over the top and knock in crosses from the end-line to the newly onside player standing by himself in the penalty area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Posted a link to a video ref situation in the Dutch cup a while ago which led to a discussion between me and DFX.
    Video referee will not end controversy.

GLT should be mandatory in all the top divisions though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

GavRedKing wrote: »

I'd like Atletico to most after their two recent heartbreaks, followed by Dortmund or Juve (maybe Dortmund by a hair), then any of Madrid/Monaco/Barca. Wouldn't really have any team I hope doesn't win it actually, which is rarely the case for me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

A video ref with each team entitled to make 2/3 appeals could be an interesting resolution, prevent needless over pedantic appeals and will not slow down game extremely to the point of viewing enjoyment.

Rugby tempo is naturally different in that the game speed is dictated by stop-start flow anyway so "up stairs officiating isn't as hazardous to the entertainment of the game anyway. There are natural clock stoppages in between the systematic elements to the game itself so viewers were used to it and the flow of the game wasn't damaged considerably as such.

It's fairly simple. It should be used only for game changing decisions. Those are penalty calls, offsides and red cards. It shouldn't be used for every throw or corner. Will it eradicate all human error out of the game? No, but key moments in games will at least be judged correctly and we can all go back to talking about what made us fall in love with the sport, not referees, but the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Didn't understand a lot of that post but I think I've always been consistently and strongly pro video officiating so...

But yet we didnt hear anything from you about a need for a video Ref after the Barca PSG game did we? You've been called out by myself and many others on the fact that you have completely ignored the the biased referring in favour of Barcelona in the previous round of the CL, both in this thread and in the La Liga thread.

You admitted last night you didnt even see the Madrid Bayern game (Im sure you caught highlights) but you have done nothing but go on about the favouritism shown to Madrid and how there is a big conspiracy to help them in Europe and Spain.

Why are you constantly failing to ignore similar situations that Barcelona were involved in? I know you wont reply to my asking for you opinions on the refs decisions in the Barca PSG game, that doesnt suit your agenda. But know this, it now gives you zero credibility any time you try to engage in a debate regarding questionable referring or the need for video refs.

Same could be said about the Barca pen that wasn't against PSG, Suarez clearly cheated.
    There was more of an uproar about people trying discuss that incident but were being shoved the "Talk to the hand Barca went through, amazing stuff, we don't care" so not sure why the goals last night are any different.
    Peno awarded to Athletico last week which cost Leicester a goal last week.
    The tinfoil hat stuff about corruption yea, no proof.
    But if there is corruption this would eradicate it.

Realisticly with 3 games possibly left for Ronaldo in the cup if Messi doesnt score tonight Ronaldo could catch him for top scorer. Which would be amazing when you see he had 2 goals before the first Bayern game

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    Where did you find that stat?

http://worldreferee.com/referee/kuipers/stats

Which two of the decisions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

inforfun wrote: »
    Posted a link to a video ref situation in the Dutch cup a while ago which led to a discussion between me and DFX.
    Video referee will not end controversy.

GLT should be mandatory in all the top divisions though.
    Video refereeing will not end controversy completely no-one ever said it would and at times may even cause controversy. However, and this is the crucial point, it will improve matters dramatically.

There's loads of options to introduce it; a flag system where managers can ask for a limited number of incidents to be reviewed looks to be the best and wouldn't delay the game anymore than a substitution does.

It must be introduced and will be. The silly arguments against introducing it is over and lost. It's now down to how it will come in and when.

greendom wrote: »
    From 3 to 5. Some skullduggery here
    fullstop wrote: »
    Delighted for some of the lads on this thread :D:D:D:D
    ricero wrote: »
    Amazing club only barca could do this
    The trolls need to go back under their bridges.
    Seriously, give some credit to Barcelona, that was an unreal performance.
    RoryMac wrote: »
    2nd one was never a penalty, blatant dive by Suarez
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Brilliant :D, 'Ronnie' fans fairly upset by that I'd say.
    Do you believe in miracles?

Sorry lads, after the 3rd goal I had to stop posting. I, like a lot of people on here, could sense something special might have been on the cards and I wanted to soak that in. Like everyone, I was deflated after the Cavani goal, Barcelona's response said it all, the play had gone flat, the atmosphere had fizzled out. To do it at all is a miracle, to do it the way they did by having to score 6 is something beyond divinity. I've never witnessed a sporting occasion like that before, we might never again. You'll always remember where you were at that moment when Sergi Roberto put the ball in the Paris net in the 95th minute. No hyperbole in this post, no exaggeration, tonight everyone on this thread should be posting about Gerard Pique who is everything good and right about Barcelona, they should be posting about Mascherano who is an absolutely warrior, they should be posting about Sergio Busquets who held this together tonight in a way that only Busquets can, they should be posting about Neymar who is the superstar to take over from Messi, they should be posting about Sergi Roberto who will have dreamed of a moment like this at the Camp Nou since he was a boy.

Always Mes Que Un Club.
    Penalties are literally given for nothing these days, no way was that Suarez one a penalty.
    5starpool wrote: »
    The butthurt and premature gloating from some in here earlier made this thread a good read tonight.

The first penalty was a clear one, the second one was a dive, but the defender made the dive plausible because he put his arm across Suarez who took advantage to dive and win the penalty.

Amazing comeback though, best I've ever seen given the fact that at 87 mins it was still 3-1 and they needed 3 goals.
    this patronising cr$p doesn't make your argument any stronger!!

The game was unbelievable, I thoroughly enjoyed it, was fantastic but people are entitled to debate pivotal moments like this in between the "WOW"s and the "WHAT A GAME" comments!

There is only1 or 2 people here disappointed PSG went out, even those who disputed the decision were happy to see that 7 minutes at the end unfold as PSG were a cowardly, unprofessional eeg1ts as much as Barca were a thrilling, proud and truly courageous ensemble but games and decisions are there to be analysed also.

The "I wish people were more like me and enjoyed matches more and ignored decisions" cr@p is ridiculous and patronising.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    The first penalty was 100% a penalty.

Regardless that Neymar made a meal of it, which every single professional footballer does nowadays, the defender fell in his way and caused him to change his path and that is a penalty.

Either way, the game had everything and should be just enjoyed and people should celebrate how Barcelona approached it and never gave up.

Just wish people would enjoy games more.
    It's the same how every goal scored nowadays gets analysed here and put down to poor keeper, cheating or poor defending and never great attacking play.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Of course you can debate decisions but to just focus on 2 incidents and declare that they ruined the game whilst ignoring the enormity or what happened in the match is just very cynical in my opinion.

I just wish people would sometimes not do that and appreciate that the way Barcelona approached the game tonight was always going to lead to the possibilities of penalties.

Either way, we just witnessed one of the greatest comebacks in the history of sport and that should be enjoyed as a whole rather than just sourly focus on minute decisions all the time.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ehh this was pivotal, it was a clear dive

https://twitter.com/allforunited/status/839741398542876673
    jacool wrote: »
    The reality is that the referee could have awarded a penalty when Verrati pulled Messi back in the box but didn't. Some you get and some you don't.
    I still have to re-watch the Di Maria miss, because apparently thst could have been a spotter too, If that had been given and scored (though Cavani would probably have hit the crossbar with it) it would have been game over.
    I'm talking about that specific decision. And he cheated again. He got carded for his first dive and the result should have been the same.
    This type of excuse getting pegged around:
    "Team X did not get penalty in previous incident, oh wait lets dive get one, Justice!"
    It was a wonderful display from Neymar & arguably Messi but not Suarez and he shouldn't be praised for his "performance" last night.
    an awful amount of butt hurt in here after last nights game,of course should their own team have been the 6-1 victors in the same manner they would be heroes .
    dfx- wrote: »
    You can discuss any number of specific decisions, but they were not the deciding factor in any way.

You just cannot lose 6-1 (or be 4-1 down and all over the place mentally at the time) and blame the referee or blame 'diving'. You cannot blame the referee for PSG losing their heads from the start and looking shellshocked at halftime.

The game and the pressure was too much for them, good to see that Emery apparently didn't fall into the referee trap in post game comments I believe.

They lost the game with their approach from the very kickoff, they wilted under the pressure and were all over the place, the first and second goal being prime examples falling over themselves, long before the penalty. A penalty to Barcelona in the 90th minute should've been no more than a consolation goal.
    I never once said they didn't deserve to go through. They had PSG on the ropes for most of the game.
    I have been posting this since last night.
    But those decisions were huge deciding factors and to claim otherwise is wrong.
    Brushing these huge decisions under the rug because overall they deserved it doesn't cut it.
    If video technology was present in the game would they have qualified?

Examples of Huge moments in the game:
    Was Neymars excellent free kick a deciding factor? Yes it was.
    Was Suarez diving and gaining a penalty for his team which they ended up scoring a deciding factor? Yes it was.
    josip wrote: »
    Brave from Suarez going down so easily for the final penalty.
    He was already on a yellow from his earlier slapstick dive, so he knew that if the ref adjudged this one to be another dive he was off and game over Barcelona.
    To be honest what I found more irritating were the patronising ""I wish people were more like me and enjoyed matches more and ignored decisions" when the discussion of the penalty incident(s) came up post match!

Every post can't be "wow, what a game", "Neymar is a genious", "wow, this is why I love football"!

As I said last night, in more or less these words, The game was astonishing, even if it had ended 3-1 it would have been a fantastic spectacle, I thoroughly enjoyed it, was fantastic and there is absolutely no doubt in anyones mind, not even the most ardent of PSG fans that Barca deserved to qualify given their approach and courage.

There were, from what I seen, only 1 or 2 people here disappointed PSG went out, even those who disputed the decision were happy to see that 7 minutes at the end unfold as PSG were a cowardly, unprofessional eeg1ts as much as Barca were a thrilling, proud and truly courageous ensemble but games and decisions are there to be analysed also.

I just found that there were too many patronising 1diots who wanted to shut down the penalty discussion by saying, more or less, you aren't a real football fan if you just can't "enjoy" the result and forget everything else!
    Firstly this isn't me being anti Barcelona. I was delighted to see PSG get knocked out and any team that can't hold onto a 4 goal advantage certain don't deserve to progress in the competition.

But there's been a lot of talk lately in the La Liga megathread about how officials favour Real Madrid and are doing their best to prevent Barca from winning the title. And let's face it, most of these posts have come from AndersonIsGod. Minutes after a questionable decision that he see as anti-Barcelona he's onto Boards making all sorts of claims about conspiracies.

Yet not a word from him since the game on Wednesday night about all the decisions that went in favour of Barcelona.
    - The 2nd penalty which I still don't think was a penalty. The first one was a correct call though IMO.
    - The penalty that wasn't given to PSG for Mascherano's tackle on Di Maria.
    - Neymar kicks Marquinhos which was a legitimate sending off offence.

I've said it before that I don't buy into these notions of big conspiracies in football. Decisions balance themselves out over the course of a season usually. I just find it a bit pathetic when people shout and rave about officials being out to get them when a decision goes against their team, yet blatantly ignore wrong decisions when it favours who they support.
    enzo roco wrote: »
    Barca got some decisions on Wednesday they shouldn't have. But isn't that the same with every team?

Does anyone remember Gary Neville saying players are correct to dive, and many soccer fans agreed with him.

"I agree with him, except when the team I dislike do it"
    100% right BF, and the point I always argue against football conspiracies.

If La Liga is rigged towards Real Madrid, why have they only won 1 of the last 8 league titles? Absolute nonsense and typical of football fans in general.

I think instead bad decisions we see just highlight varying degrees of consistency in referees. They are human after all, who make mistakes, some make more than others.
    jacool wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why that piece doesn't mention that Verrati pulled Messi's jersey inside the box, when he was getting ready to shoot?
    Can someone tell me why that piece doesn't say that after Verrati was booked he should have been sent off for his next foul?

Every team cheats, every single team.
    I watched 3 games like night and they were falling over like skittles. At one stage I thought poor Ander Herrera had been shot, he went down so quickly. He wasn't on his own either, all 6 teams were at it.
    Its terrible, and until we get referees who actually grow a pair, these preening, overpaid professionals, will keep on doing it.
    I was at under 7 training last weekend and I saw a guy get tackled, go straight down and take a roll. Thankfully the coaches and other players ignored him, but, God it was desperate to watch. And that's the future until these guys get punished - retrospectively if needs be.
    5starpool wrote: »
    All teams cheat, all players cheat. That's the bottom line. Cheating isn't just confined to the poster boy of diving, it's claiming a corner or goalkick when you know it's not your ball, it's pretending you didn't foul someone or in pre-goaline tech days that the ball didn't cross the line.

When it goes in favour of your team, while you might still call it for what it is, it doesn't bother you much when your team benefits, so there is little point going on about it so much as if only certain teams or players are guilty of it.
    Looks like the ref will in fact get a clipping for his dreadful performance

Suarez cheating hasn't helped his cause, I'd say if he had sent him off for second dive rather than rewarding them a nonsense penalty he would have been in the clear

http://www.thesportbible.com/football/news-referee-deniz-aytekin-set-to-be-punished-by-uefa-20170310
    For all the flack that Barca have taken for supposedly cheating the other night I really hope that from now on every time we see a jersey pull, body check,trip,player being offside deciding to play on etc we hear a load of criticism of them for cheating.
    Begrudgers! Begrudgers all!
    Must be on repeat in here but plenty of praise has been given to Barcalona, but every time someone discusses the clear failings of the referee it's "you no lika da barca"
    But yet some people keep mentioning that Suarez cheated.What he did is no worse than numerous other incidents that happen in every other game.
    Pivotal moments which decided the game
    They are obviously going to be discussed the most
    Again this has also been repeated in here
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Yeah every team has cheats and gets their share of good and bad decisions.

I think some people just have a shoulder chip about Barcelona or dont like them for whatever reason.
    I think some people like to delude themselves into thinking its a grudge everytime the main talking points in the game are discussed

Fascinating reading through that again and spotting the complete hypocrisy of it all

Fascinating reading through that again and spotting the complete hypocrisy of it all

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    Whats funny is some of the posters are going mad about Real last night
    Brilliant.
    ps. you have to much time on your hands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Posters have teams they like and teams they don't like, and they'll rant a bit more about poor decisions when they favour a team they don't like, what's your point? The main thing is it's well past the time to introduce video refs across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If there was video refs last night it wouldnt really have changed the outcome. Bayern wouldnt have gotten the penalty and their second would have been ruled out.

Would the video ref be allowed to review the red card decision based on the new trial at the club world cup?

But yet we didnt hear anything from you about a need for a video Ref after the Barca PSG game did we? You've been called out by myself and many others on the fact that you have completely ignored the the biased referring in favour of Barcelona in the previous round of the CL, both in this thread and in the La Liga thread.

You admitted last night you didnt even see the Madrid Bayern game (Im sure you caught highlights) but you have done nothing but go on about the favouritism shown to Madrid and how there is a big conspiracy to help them in Europe and Spain.

Why are you constantly failing to ignore similar situations that Barcelona were involved in? I know you wont reply to my asking for you opinions on the refs decisions in the Barca PSG game, that doesnt suit your agenda. But know this, it now gives you zero credibility any time you try to engage in a debate regarding questionable referring or the need for video refs.

You want my answer? I gave my answer 2 weeks ago in the La Liga thread. Neymar penalty is 100% a penalty by the very definition of a foul, the Suarez one is debatable. Marquinhos puts a hand onto the shoulder of Suarez and, as I've heard some football journalists say, he obstructed Suarez from heading the ball towards goal,which is a clear goalscoring opportunity. Is it clear cut? No, there's an argument for and against it. A certified referee being given the opportunity to judge it is far better placed to make a call on it than you, I or anybody else on this Board, and is certainly better placed to make the decision than a referee who has 1 look at it and must make a rapid fire decision.

What I will also say is this. Take a close look at the names on this thread that are posting, then look at what they are posting. Last night and this morning it was all "human error" and "it evens itself out" and lots of deflection. Then scroll back a few pages, look at those same posters and what they were posting post Barca/PSG and all of a sudden it's "Uefalona" and "Barça buy referees" ect. The very conspiracy these same posters accuse me of engaging in is the very same conspiracy they themselves engage in (just with far less evidence and not nearly as well thought out). These are the same posters that want the moral high ground. I say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

One argument used by those against video ref is how it will slow the game and use rugby as example.

The thing is in rugby the ref/TMO is often trying to see some like ball grounding where the ball is buried amongst 10 bodies.
    See how long it takes when they are just trying to see if pass was forward or if it was knock on.

All ref has to do is ask video ref if they can award the goal or not.
    Same with penalty decision.
    The video ref could take less than 10/20 secs to see if player dives, if player was offside before receiving ball, etc.
    It is a lot easier to see things on soccer pitch than a rugby ruck.

And there is that amount of time wasted at a lot of throw ins, free kicks, etc.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

By the way. Who would ever have believed that the world governing body of football was corrupt and rotten to the core? Hard to believe that's possible. Or that the Italian league was riddled with match fixing involving some of the biggest clubs in the history of European football. Or that most of the early World Cups were likely totally corrupt with the host nation benefiting always, even going up to 2002 and Korea? Surely these things were unthinkable yet they happened. Match fixing in a league as corrupt and poorly run as La Liga? Refs in Europe favouring Europe's most powerful club? Those are the things that are beyond the realms of belief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jmayo wrote: »
    <snip>

And there is that amount of time wasted at a lot of throw ins, free kicks, etc.
    or last week, the Real players were absolute pr1cks for a couple of minutes badgering the ref and the mute gimp beside the goals after a penalty was wrongly awarded to Bayern. If there was a video ref available, they could park their "firely Mediterranean temperament" for a minute and let the video ref review the decision in peace and quiet.

in that particular incident, a video ref would have had a decision in 30 seconds, whereas without you had pure chaos for 2 or 3 minutes.

another massive bonus, with the introduction of a video ref you can dispense with those tools beside the goal who virtually never ever make any contribution to the game except waggle their arse in a strange manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

You want my answer? I gave my answer 2 weeks ago in the La Liga thread. Neymar penalty is 100% a penalty by the very definition of a foul, the Suarez one is debatable. Marquinhos puts a hand onto the shoulder of Suarez and, as I've heard some football journalists say, he obstructed Suarez from heading the ball towards goal,which is a clear goalscoring opportunity. Is it clear cut? No, there's an argument for and against it. A certified referee being given the opportunity to judge it is far better placed to make a call on it than you, I or anybody else on this Board, and is certainly better placed to make the decision than a referee who has 1 look at it and must make a rapid fire decision.

I never said the Neymar penalty was the wrong call. I said it was a correct penalty. But what about some of the other decisions from that game, take for example these 2:
    - The penalty that wasn't given to PSG for Mascherano's tackle on Di Maria.
    - Neymar kicks Marquinhos which was a legitimate sending off offence.

Are you telling me these were not incorrect decisions that favoured Barcelona?
    What I will also say is this. Take a close look at the names on this thread that are posting, then look at what they are posting. Last night and this morning it was all "human error" and "it evens itself out" and lots of deflection. Then scroll back a few pages, look at those same posters and what they were posting post Barca/PSG and all of a sudden it's "Uefalona" and "Barça buy referees" ect. The very conspiracy these same posters accuse me of engaging in is the very same conspiracy they themselves engage in (just with far less evidence and not nearly as well thought out). These are the same posters that want the moral high ground. I say no.

What a load of BS. Take a look back at any one of my posts in this thread. I said at the time Barcelona deserved to go through and I was glad PSG got knocked out. But it doesnt mean the ref didnt make a number of big calls on the night that favoured Barcelona.

I support a team that I'm not allowed mention here because they arent in the CL and that seems to upset some people when they get mentioned. But they won a League Cup back in February. Their opponents had a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside. Was this a mistake by the ref. Of course it was. Anyone with a bit of common sense could see it was a mistake. Yes, I would have preferred if the team I support had won without any incorrect decisions being made on the day. But thats the way football goes something. Just like in every round of the CL teams have decisions going for and against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jmayo wrote: »
    Same with penalty decision.
    The video ref could take less than 10/20 secs to see if player dives, if player was offside before receiving ball, etc.
    It is a lot easier to see things on soccer pitch than a rugby ruck.

Easier to see. And also completely and utterly subjective to the point that two people will completely disagree about the very same incident.

Video evidence won't solve contentious decisions, it will just change which side is moaning about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

niallo27 wrote: »
    One poster made a balls of a prediction. Can we get over it now.

I don't see how anyone apart from Madrid fans, or people who hate Munich, or people who bet on Madrid, can be happy at this result.

Juventus. Have a great record against Real in the Champions League.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Posters have teams they like and teams they don't like, and they'll rant a bit more about poor decisions when they favour a team they don't like, what's your point? The main thing is it's well past the time to introduce video refs across the board.

Like the way last night anyone who didnt agree with what you were saying was disgusting and you were no where to be seen when it was Barca. You understand hypocrisy right

• Advertisement

I have a feeling an Irish broadcaster may be showing the wrong game for a second night running. Dortmund likely need at least 3 to go through and Monaco aren't great at the back.

suspicions of what though?

Do you actually think Real Madrid are passing money to officials?
    Or has the ref €100 on Madrid to win the CL this season?

Or perhaps he is just making mistakes? Like the Robben penalty?

I don't think anybody thinks it's a Juventus type situation involving bribing. In Europe it's more to do with the political power of Real Madrid and Florentino Perez and their commercial might, in Spain it's Madrid's political power and the cultural powers at play unique to that country.
    The Calciopoli scandal was exactly that. Juventus (Italy's biggest club) having undue influence over who reffed games. Moggi & Bettega were found to have influenced who reffed games on the basis that they viewed certain officials as pro-Juve. It did not involved bribery.

Refereeing was disgraceful last night and Bayern were ripped off. However, last year in Munich, Juventus has a perfectly good goal ruled out for an non-existent offside (could have been 0-3 up) and a clear foul in the lead up to a Bayern goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

If this removes all offside goals I'm all for it.
    That alone would be a massive step forward. There cannot be any debate about those decisions, so nobody will be moaning.
    When all the goals were slowed down last night it was clear to see which goals were offisde.
    The refs and linesmen would be unreal to call them all e.g. the last Ronaldo goal was offside but even a linesman in line would have had to think twice (irrespective of Ronaldo's starting position in the move)
    The players would have the right to shoot and defenders would have to defend (as opposed to "arms up in the air")
    The decision would be as quick as the current GLT decisions. The referee would get to either signal offside or not by the same technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Refereeing was disgraceful last night and Bayern were ripped off. However, last year in Munich, Juventus has a perfectly good goal ruled out for an non-existent offside (could have been 0-3 up) and a clear foul in the lead up to a Bayern goal.

It's swings and roundabouts with bad refereeing, but if people can leave the partisan arguments when considering it (refs favouring team x/y/z), bad decisions have affected the the upper echelons of the CL far too much. The only consistency is the fact that refs are so inconsistent. It's time for video referees. In 10 years time or whenever we get it, we'll look back and think "how the f*ck did we used to play without it".

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    In 10 years time or whenever we get it, we'll look back and think "how the f*ck did we used to play without it".

Closely followed by, "When did this all get so sterile?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Closely followed by, "When did this all get so sterile?"

The games already sterile. I don't find grown men throwing themselves on the ground trying to buy fouls/penalties exciting. Literally sterilized men pretending to be hurt. Video refs would solve a multitude of issues all at once, including the simulation one.

Last week also, as I remember :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I have a feeling an Irish broadcaster may be showing the wrong game for a second night running. Dortmund likely need at least 3 to go through and Monaco aren't great at the back.

Monaco are the highest goalscorers in Europe this season and have conceded less than Dortmund??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It's a pity Dortmund always have so many injuries to key players at this point in the tournament. They are a sight to behold when they've a fully fit team and click.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Monaco are the highest goalscorers in Europe this season and have conceded less than Dortmund??

So? If a clinical Dortmund turn up it could be anyone's game. I'd fully expect Monaco to score a few themselves and go through but it will be end to end stuff. Should be the live game tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

La Liga wise there are grounds to suggest Madrid is getting more than a fair rub of the green officiating wise but it's nothing too substantive yet. It's normal in this sport for odd peculiarities to exist at times. In the premier league, Chelsea were almost never getting penalties for a period.

That match last night each of those significant errors were very difficult calls. Vidal's sending off in real time looked like a badly timed tackled. Indeed, from some angles it does look like he clipped the player before the ball. The ref only got one look at it and from his angle it's understandable why he thought it was player before ball. Given the obvious disadvantage to Real at causing the foul it's impossible for him not issue a yellow if he thinks Vidal infringed. Vidal's tackle was almost last resort stuff, he knew he had to win/block the ball at all costs.

Ronaldo's first offside goal is clear cut from television cameras but from the linesmans POV's there numerous factors:
    Ronaldo is static.
    Real Madrid have one player running offside - and another coming back from it.
    The Bayern players are trying to play an offside trap and Alaba pushes up late.
    These make is super difficult to discern Ronaldo's position at the moment the ball is played.

Ronaldo's second offside goal occurs because of the drawback the assistant referee has from being level with Bayern's back line as default positioning. At the start of the phase of play Ronaldo is in a clear offside position, Marcello clearly isn't. When Marcello accelerates past the Bayern back line the assistant has to readjust and get in line with Marcello. It's arguable that even the fastest players in soccer wouldn't be able to get level with the runner in time and even if they were it'd be super difficult to determine whether ronaldo was level or not as he trying to come back level.

Yes they were all the wrong calls, but it's more than understandable how human error not some grand conspiracy could have caused them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

^ Good post. If UEFA were serious about the integrity of the game being questioned unnecessarily, they'd introduce video technology asap. Assuming these are all human errors, UEFA should be clammering to eliminate any suspicion of foul-play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Turtwig wrote: »
    La Liga wise there are grounds to suggest Madrid is getting more than a fair rub of the green officiating wise but it's nothing too substantive yet. It's normal in this sport for odd peculiarities to exist at times. In the premier league, Chelsea were almost never getting penalties for a period.

That match last night each of those significant errors were very difficult calls. Vidal's sending off in real time looked like a badly timed tackled. Indeed, from some angles it does look like he clipped the player before the ball. The ref only got one look at it and from his angle it's understandable why he thought it was player before ball. Given the obvious disadvantage to Real at causing the foul it's impossible for him not issue a yellow if he thinks Vidal infringed. Vidal's tackle was almost last resort stuff, he knew he had to win/block the ball at all costs.

Ronaldo's first offside goal is clear cut from television cameras but from the linesmans POV's there numerous factors:
    Ronaldo is static.
    Real Madrid have one player running offside - and another coming back from it.
    The Bayern players are trying to play an offside trap and Alaba pushes up late.
    These make is super difficult to discern Ronaldo's position at the moment the ball is played.

Ronaldo's second offside goal occurs because of the drawback the assistant referee has from being level with Bayern's back line as default positioning. At the start of the phase of play Ronaldo is in a clear offside position, Marcello clearly isn't. When Marcello accelerates past the Bayern back line the assistant has to readjust and get in line with Marcello. It's arguable that even the fastest players in soccer wouldn't be able to get level with the runner in time and even if they were it'd be super difficult to determine whether ronaldo was level or not as he trying to come back level.

Yes they were all the wrong calls, but it's more than understandable how human error not some grand conspiracy could have caused them.

I don't know man these guys are supposed to be the best of the best when was the last time you saw that number of huge mistakes. I'm not saying it was a conspiracy but it was very very odd.

^ Good post. If UEFA were serious about the integrity of the game being questioned unnecessarily, they'd introduce video technology asap. Assuming these are all human errors, UEFA should be clammering to eliminate any suspicion of foul-play.

If UEFA care about the future of the game they should be careful what they wish for.

If people really want a controversy free game they should take up e-sports, I'm sure Fifa 17 doesn't have any dodgy offsides or goals not given for crossing the line.

Me personally, I'm glad the real thing isn't as perfect as a computer game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement