Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If UEFA care about the future of the game they should be careful what they wish for.

If people really want a controversy free game they should take up e-sports, I'm sure Fifa 17 doesn't have any dodgy offsides or goals not given for crossing the line.

Me personally, I'm glad the real thing isn't as perfect as a computer game.

It has not affected other games though so what are we afraid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

niallo27 wrote: »
    It has not affected other games though so what are we afraid of.

What hasn't? Video refs? I disagree, with Rugby being the obvious example. Rugby needs to grow some balls and stop running to the video ref for every little thing. Tennis and Cricket are more accurate now, and also more boring (yes, they always were). American football? At least the challenge system mitigates it somewhat.

The point is that yes, video refs might make the game more "accurate" for want of a better word. But is definitely a case of just because we could doesn't mean we should.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

irishman86 wrote: »
    Like the way last night anyone who didnt agree with what you were saying was disgusting and you were no where to be seen when it was Barca. You understand hypocrisy right
    What's hypocritical about what I said in what you quoted there? I didn't say anybody was disgusting, I may have said the way the match was influenced by the officials was. You're just making things up and arguing for the sake of it. I'm not sure you know what hypocrisy even means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

If UEFA care about the future of the game they should be careful what they wish for.

If people really want a controversy free game they should take up e-sports, I'm sure Fifa 17 doesn't have any dodgy offsides or goals not given for crossing the line.

Judging by this post and others you've made I really think you'd enjoy WWE. Plenty of controversy, blind refereeing and at the end of the day the winner is scripted anyway.

Judging by this post and others you've made

Stop reading my posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Judging by this post and others you've made I really think you'd enjoy WWE. Plenty of controversy, blind refereeing and at the end of the day the winner is scripted anyway.

This has to be the most unintentionally ironic post of the year so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Billy86 wrote: »
    This has to be the most unintentionally ironic post of the year so far.
    Of the year?

Your post is the most hyperbolic one I've seen in quite a while.

What hasn't? Video refs? I disagree, with Rugby being the obvious example. Rugby needs to grow some balls and stop running to the video ref for every little thing. Tennis and Cricket are more accurate now, and also more boring (yes, they always were). American football? At least the challenge system mitigates it somewhat.

The point is that yes, video refs might make the game more "accurate" for want of a better word. But is definitely a case of just because we could doesn't mean we should.

It has stopped the sneaky off the ball digs and dodgy try calls. It has really cleaned up the sport and made it a real spectacle again. I'd like to give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

So? If a clinical Dortmund turn up it could be anyone's game. I'd fully expect Monaco to score a few themselves and go through but it will be end to end stuff. Should be the live game tonight

My post was quoting another poster who I had reason to doubt their suggestion, your response seems to be ifs or buts anyway.

Dortmund may need 2 clear goals to a side who has only lost twice at home all season, the thing going in their favor is that both those times the scoreline those times if Dortmund can mirror would go through however Dortmund have won just 2 of their 8 away games in 2017 and only one of those scorelines would be good enough here...Can't see Monaco not scoring also tbh it would be a fair achievement if BvB can pull it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

niallo27 wrote: »
    It has stopped the sneaky off the ball digs and dodgy try calls. It has really cleaned up the sport and made it a real spectacle again. I'd like to give it a try.

I see what you did there .... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Was sickened by last nights shenanigoats, left a bad taste, hope juve can wash it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Was sickened by last nights shenanigoats, left a bad taste, hope juve can wash it down.

Easy progression for Juve. This Barcelona team have no bottle and it will show tonight, no leaders on the pitch and one very petulant genius who doesn't show up much when the chips are down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

"More than a club"

:rolleyes:

Easy progression for Juve. This Barcelona team have no bottle and it will show tonight, no leaders on the pitch and one very petulant genius who doesn't show up much when the chips are down

Thats almost as bad and wrong as saying Ronaldo only scores to pad his stats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What's hypocritical about what I said in what you quoted there? I didn't say anybody was disgusting, I may have said the way the match was influenced by the officials was. You're just making things up and arguing for the sake of it. I'm not sure you know what hypocrisy even means.

Because you only talked about the Real calls, all while ignoring a bigger farce a few weeks ago and then you tried to portray yourself as impartial. Everything you typed was full of hypocrisy, it was funny how much so

• Advertisement

I find it proper disgusting Barcelona displaying "More than a club"
    This is a proud Catalan club and clearly marketing is playing a role with that.
    Id love to know what they think of it in Catalonia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Turtwig wrote: »
    La Liga wise there are grounds to suggest Madrid is getting more than a fair rub of the green officiating wise but it's nothing too substantive yet. It's normal in this sport for odd peculiarities to exist at times. In the premier league, Chelsea were almost never getting penalties for a period.

That match last night each of those significant errors were very difficult calls. Vidal's sending off in real time looked like a badly timed tackled. Indeed, from some angles it does look like he clipped the player before the ball. The ref only got one look at it and from his angle it's understandable why he thought it was player before ball. Given the obvious disadvantage to Real at causing the foul it's impossible for him not issue a yellow if he thinks Vidal infringed. Vidal's tackle was almost last resort stuff, he knew he had to win/block the ball at all costs.

Ronaldo's first offside goal is clear cut from television cameras but from the linesmans POV's there numerous factors:
    Ronaldo is static.
    Real Madrid have one player running offside - and another coming back from it.
    The Bayern players are trying to play an offside trap and Alaba pushes up late.
    These make is super difficult to discern Ronaldo's position at the moment the ball is played.

Ronaldo's second offside goal occurs because of the drawback the assistant referee has from being level with Bayern's back line as default positioning. At the start of the phase of play Ronaldo is in a clear offside position, Marcello clearly isn't. When Marcello accelerates past the Bayern back line the assistant has to readjust and get in line with Marcello. It's arguable that even the fastest players in soccer wouldn't be able to get level with the runner in time and even if they were it'd be super difficult to determine whether ronaldo was level or not as he trying to come back level.

Yes they were all the wrong calls, but it's more than understandable how human error not some grand conspiracy could have caused them.

Where does Casimiro staying on the field in spite of an early yellow, and then committing several more fouls that would normally be a yellow card, including giving away a penalty, fit into your narrative??

Juventus are one of the great underachievers in European football (only 2 European Cups) if anyone can lose this, they can.

Just got odds of 5/1 for Juve to win in 90mins, crazy price for a side that won the first leg 3-0.

I like this ref so far, not being influenced by the crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

This dortmund side are mental. So poor at the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Barca are more than a club. Just like Celtic

Just got odds of 5/1 for Juve to win in 90mins, crazy price for a side that won the first leg 3-0.

Odds reflect a side that don't need to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ricero wrote:
    This dortmund side are mental. So poor at the back

Why is Pulisic not starting? :rolleyes:

I don't get the hate for Barca but love for madrid. There one of the same

Lots being left go by the officials

One ball and barca are in trouble.

Barca are more than a club. Just like Celtic

Exactly they are a company to, why pick Celtic you could have picked any club in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Juve play some very sexy football.

Cuadrado is some speed demon when he wants to be.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Juve play some very sexy football.

Cuadrado is some speed demon when he wants to be.

Its a shame it never worked out for him at Chelsea.

Conte wanted to keep him but he didnt want to stay in London.

Juve going to score at least two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

GavRedKing wrote: »

Always thought it was weird, he never really got a proper shot in England.

Messi has put two or three chances on a plate for Barca in this tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Some miss by Messi​.

Messi should have taken that chance

Think he would have been great playing Rwb instead of Moses.Who hasn't done bad there at all though.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Always thought it was weird, he never really got a proper shot in England.

Jose didnt seem to fancy him after his cameo in the title win.

Then he was gone in the summer.

Conte wanted to keep him when he came in but Cuadrado wanted back to Italy, hence a 3 year loan.

I think he'd be excellent in the Moses position, even better than Moses whos had a good season there.

Tie over in Monaco now you'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Monaco a dark horse for this CL?

Or do you think they won't make it past the semis?

No hope for Dortmund unless Monaco fall apart or get a player sent off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Anyone watching on RTE player? What's quality like?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

In general Juventus are not defending well here...

Ref has been poor for me

dfx- wrote: »
    In general Juventus are not defending well here...

Ya theyre giving up chances but the longer it stays 0-0 theyll grow into it and Barca will get frustated.

I've seen dodgy offside calls in FIFA 15.

Good man ref.

• Advertisement

Busquets talented but probably the player I least like in football, hes such a mouth piece. Why cant they make them like Iniesta and Xavi anymore

ricero wrote: »
    Ref has been poor for me

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Agree.
    Think Barca needed an early goal to make a game of this.
    The longer they don't score, their heads will drop.

irishman86 wrote: »
    How so?

Letting too many decisions go against barca

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ya theyre giving up chances but the longer it stays 0-0 theyll grow into it and Barca will get frustated.

It is still 0-0 and they've had chances, but they're going very deep with a back six and have every man in their own half more than a few times. The idea was Juve know how to defend more than PSG, but they're not showing it yet.

The referee is giving almost everything to Juventus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement