Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dail protest against IFI pike management

• 17-06-2016 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Don't know how many of you are on Facebook so will post a link for a protest being organised against the gill netting of lakes by IFI. There was another protest a few weeks ago to the IFI head office which didn't seem to result in any action been taken so this one is going to tthe Dail. It is being arranged by Leinster Pike Angling Club and they are calling for all anglers to turn out. As we know gill nets are an indiscriminate way of catching fish, all species get caught in them, trout pike bream tench roach perch sticks are all being caught up in them and dying off. There is outrage at FNs using gill nets so the same outrage should be forthcoming towards the IFIs use of them.

https://m.facebook.com/events/253310728370713?notif_t=admin_plan_mall_activity&notif_id=1466187648681102&ref=m_notif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Bump. This is still happening, he'll or high water won't stop our voices being heard on Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I'm not on Facebook, is there many suppose to be attending?

According to the FB event page there is about 140 going an another 80 interested in going and like you, there could be a lot of people that are not on FB that could turn up so it could be around 200 there in total! I've seen it shared by a lot of people and group pages on FB over the last few days so it seems there is a lot of interest in it. It's running from 3.30 until 6.30pm on Tuesday. It is a work day so not a lot of people can make the whole protest but even if you or anyone else interested could show their face for an hour it would be greatly beneficial!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Is there any specific lakes that are being netted?? I've released a number of fish from nets on derevara despite being warned not too.

Is there any specific lakes that are being netted?? I've released a number of fish from nets on derevara despite being warned not too.

The lakes I know of are Corrib Mask Arrow Carra Conn Sheelin and Cullen. Even if you don't fish any of these lakes or it doesn't affect you directly there are hundreds of anglers that are having there sport devastated by the actions of IFI and their nets!

• Advertisement

When have you seen nets on Derravarragh?

gumbo1 wrote: »
    The lakes I know of are Corrib Mask Arrow Carra Conn Sheelin and Cullen. Even if you don't fish any of these lakes or it doesn't affect you directly there are hundreds of anglers that are having there sport devastated by the actions of IFI and their nets!

True, and all the indirect consequences off it also, creating this perception for anglers, home and abroad that it is okay to kill pike in this country to meet the 'wants' of another type of angler. Gumbo fair play, I won't get to it but perhaps give us an update off how it went on the thread or PM cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

I would think it would be at least 10 years or so since they ceased netting Derravarragh, Ennell, Owel, Inchiquin. The reasons at the time were that for the first 3 there were very limited pike spawing areas and that , as a result, they didnt really see pike numbers being a threat. Inchiquin was a bit different, trout recruitment from the spawning streams was so good the pike could never pose much of a threat to good trout fishing.
    A complete stock assessment survey is just finishing on Lough Derg. I am hearing that a complete stock assessment survey will be carried out on Inchiquin next month ( a facebook post yet to be confirmed). In 2014 a complete stock assessment survey was carried out on Lough Ree and this showed excellent , balanced, stocks of trout, pike and coarse fish without any lake "management" from IFI. Lets hope that the Derg survey will show the same and Inchiquin after that. If that comes to pass then there really will have to be a complete rethink of IFI current lake "management" operations on Corrib, Mask, Carra, Conn, Cullin, Arrow and Sheelin.

Well today is the day. I hope to see a lot of people turn out for this protest even if it is only for a short while or on their way home from work. We need a good number in attendance to have a real impact and be noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Unfortunately I cant make it. a client has a revenue audit today and, as his accountant, I have to be with him. If we finish soon I may get to the later stages of the protest.

• Advertisement

6 year ago at least. All around the reed beds in the middle of the lake closest to the caravan park. Full of bream tench and roach. Few pike stuck in them from trying to get at the bait fish

6 year ago at least. All around the reed beds in the middle of the lake closest to the caravan park. Full of bream tench and roach. Few pike stuck in them from trying to get at the bait fish

I can only think then that was for survey purposes and not pike removal which id have no major issues with

Not a bad turn out for a Tuesday afternoon, could have been more but how and ever! A lot of interest from the passing public and looking for a petition to sign.

I can only think then that was for survey purposes and not pike removal which id have no major issues with

Well I was told after that I shouldn't of touched them as they belong to lads you wouldn't mess with. Go figure

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Not a bad turn out for a Tuesday afternoon, could have been more but how and ever! A lot of interest from the passing public and looking for a petition to sign.

Fair play lads, keep it up and keep the pressure on

Advertisement