Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider-Man - PS4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Penn, you gonna hold onto it for the DLC or trade out while it still has value?

Also, class!

https://twitter.com/bryanintihar/status/1041357654424055808?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Penn, you gonna hold onto it for the DLC or trade out while it still has value?

I almost exclusively buy digital these days. Would have to go too far out of my way to get to a Gamestop or Smyths. I'd probably be holding onto it for the dlc anyway, enjoyed the game a lot and will definitely be checking out the dlc. Going to give the game a break for a while (have a few games I want to get stuck into before RDR2 comes out) but might whack it on every now and again and go for the secret photos. Got about 30 of them while trying to trigger the random crimes, but didn't find them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Good game, story and combat are great, love Insomniac's take on the Spidey universe.

However this really feels like a last gen game trapped dressed up to look like something current. In an era where even Ubisoft have ditched the radio tower/activity checklist open world format, Spider-Man can't help but feel horribly dated IMO, and in all honesty I think I will struggle to finish what was one of my most anticipated games of the generation.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Good game, story and combat are great, love Insomniac's take on the Spidey universe.

However this really feels like a last gen game trapped dressed up to look like something current. In an era where even Ubisoft have ditched the radio tower/activity checklist open world format, Spider-Man can't help but feel horribly dated IMO, and in all honesty I think I will struggle to finish what was one of my most anticipated games of the generation.

Platinumed it earlier this eveing and that pretty much sums up my thoughts on it aswell. Not bothered to hang on to it for DLC I'll get rid of it tomorrow for Tomb Raider maybe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve been wondering myself whether this is a game that should have been a good old-fashioned linear effort - there’s a great 10-Hour campaign in there, and tweaking the pacing to remove the fillery crap wouldn’t be too difficult.

Alternatively, maybe the should have taken considerably different approach to the open world. Either a) dial back the amount of ‘stuff’ significantly and just leave the really good stuff of b) maybe have a free roam section separate or unlocked at the end of the campaign: then you still have the city, but without all the shiny things pulling you away from the story.

I don’t know, it’s a strange one, and obviously different choices come with their own consequences (losing the freeform swinging would be the obvious loss in a more linear game). But as is it feels like a really good game blended with a mediocre one.

• Advertisement

I’ve been wondering myself whether this is a game that should have been a good old-fashioned linear effort - there’s a great 10-Hour campaign in there, and tweaking the pacing to remove the fillery crap wouldn’t be too difficult.

Alternatively, maybe the should have taken considerably different approach to the open world. Either a) dial back the amount of ‘stuff’ significantly and just leave the really good stuff of b) maybe have a free roam section separate or unlocked at the end of the campaign: then you still have the city, but without all the shiny things pulling you away from the story.

I don’t know, it’s a strange one, and obviously different choices come with their own consequences (losing the freeform swinging would be the obvious loss in a more linear game). But as is it feels like a really good game blended with a mediocre one.

Totally agree, there is a fantastic game that is unfortunately buried underneath a mountain of bog standard open world bloat. I like the idea of dialing back the amount of stuff there is to do. I mean do we really need two variations on random crimes? Research facilities are also totally needless IMO, a distraction for the sake of having a distraction. I know I can ignore this stuff if I choose, but it all lends itself to diluting the quality of the core experience/story which is a shame.

I'm on chapter 3 and enjoying the villains but the busy work is way over done. My map is riddled with shyte. I was enjoying doing all the side stuff but just gonna push on to finish the story while I'm still enjoying it. Will pick up the stuff end game. Might take a break and come back to it. Some of the missions look and feel just like Arkham missions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Never had a problem with the busy work myself, though I do think there should've been more of a reward for getting a full set done. The Black Cat and Backpacks both get you a new suit, why not offer the same for Landmarks/Research Stations/Challenges etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Them drone challanges are a load of my bollocks

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Them drone challanges are a load of my bollocks

Don't swing or do so as little as you can, theres a very set path you need to use with L2+R2+X took me a long time to realise that and some blood pressure :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

When doing the research stations do I actually need to do the missions inside them for 100% or just unlock them?

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    When doing the research stations do I actually need to do the missions inside them for 100% or just unlock them?

You need to do the missions.

I've completed everything but the random missions. I also need to go back and gold some of the taskmaster stuff if I want platinum if I want enough to unlock everything. Don't think I will though. I'm not sure if I have ever platinumed a game tbh. I'll still dip in and out for a swing around the city though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

OK, I was avoiding everything to do with this so as not to spoil it for myself, even though I'm fairly sure the first trailer I saw for this spoiled the main bad guy (I'm 99.9% sure who it is). It's a great game, no doubt about it. The swinging is fantastic, the city is busy and bustling, the graphics are stunning (anyone else see the reflection of the Twin Towers?), and I like that you can swap suit abilities and don't have to stick to a certain suit (even though the White Spider one is what i've mainly been using). The story seems good, and the characters are well written. I'm still early enough in the story I believe (just stayed at F.E.A.S.T.).

But, it's not pulling me back. I've had ample opportunity to play it over the weekend, but unlike God of War and other recent games, it doesn't make me want to play it constant. I couldn't put GoW down, or HZD, but I can easily put down the controller on this (and watch My Hero Academia instead). It's not that it's a bad game, it's just missing something. Maybe if I get further in the story, it might do that, but right now i'm just of the opinion to finish it and trade it. Shame.

OK, I was avoiding everything to do with this so as not to spoil it for myself, even though I'm fairly sure the first trailer I saw for this spoiled the main bad guy (I'm 99.9% sure who it is). It's a great game, no doubt about it. The swinging is fantastic, the city is busy and bustling, the graphics are stunning (anyone else see the reflection of the Twin Towers?), and I like that you can swap suit abilities and don't have to stick to a certain suit (even though the White Spider one is what i've mainly been using). The story seems good, and the characters are well written. I'm still early enough in the story I believe (just stayed at F.E.A.S.T.).

But, it's not pulling me back. I've had ample opportunity to play it over the weekend, but unlike God of War and other recent games, it doesn't make me want to play it constant. I couldn't put GoW down, or HZD, but I can easily put down the controller on this (and watch My Hero Academia instead). It's not that it's a bad game, it's just missing something. Maybe if I get further in the story, it might do that, but right now i'm just of the opinion to finish it and trade it. Shame.

As much as I enjoyed the story, it takes a while to really get going, and only really kicks up a notch in Act 3. The combat starts to get more difficult then too, but also more fun as you unlock new gadgets and abilities.

But I'd agree that the game never had quite the same pull as GOW or HZD. The combat was a lot of fun, but also fairly repetitive as the majority of enemies just required the same moves (uppercut into air combat, zip to next enemy and repeat, maybe web or throw something at enemies who can dodge first). It's not a perfect game, and imo not up there with the likes of GOW and HZD. But there's enough there to warrant the scores and reviews the game got. The core mechanics and gameplay are fantastic, the city is amazing, the story is well presented and executed (though again, would have liked it to kick into gear a bit sooner), and even in going for the platinum, none of it ever felt like a chore (even just swinging around trying to trigger the random crimes in each district at the end for my last trophy). Plus for a city so huge, they could have bombarded it with a lot more collectible stuff than they did.

Oh yeah, i'm not taking away from the game in the slightest, Insomniac have done an amazing job (I had no doubt about them, great crowd). There really is nothing I can complain about as such, it just doesn't have the pull. I know they're going to support it with DLC, but I think like many gaming tropes, Spiderman 2 will be near perfect. As you said, the combat can be repetitive, and while people don't want to compare it to the Arkham series, it's very similar and warrants comparison, but it just doesn't have the variety that Arkham had.

I don't think i'll go for the platinum this time around (I started on medium, I always do), but I will definitely go for it once all the DLC is out and I pick it up again.

Oh yeah, i'm not taking away from the game in the slightest, Insomniac have done an amazing job (I had no doubt about them, great crowd). There really is nothing I can complain about as such, it just doesn't have the pull. I know they're going to support it with DLC, but I think like many gaming tropes, Spiderman 2 will be near perfect. As you said, the combat can be repetitive, and while people don't want to compare it to the Arkham series, it's very similar and warrants comparison, but it just doesn't have the variety that Arkham had.

I don't think i'll go for the platinum this time around (I started on medium, I always do), but I will definitely go for it once all the DLC is out and I pick it up again.

The trouble with the combat in comparison with the Arkham games is that it's harder to use gadgets while you're in the middle of combat. You can switch between your last two gadgets quick enough, but the Arkham games allowed you to use almost all your gadgets without restriction while in the middle of combat using different button combos, and certain enemies required different gadgets to beat. With Spiderman, you just need a few webs or throwing things at the non-standard enemies. Which is a shame because a lot of the gadgets are fun (though the concussive blast is way too overpowered if you're on a rooftop).

Also, the platinum doesn't require playing on Hard or anything. Can get it all on one normal playthrough.

Penn wrote: »
    Also, the platinum doesn't require playing on Hard or anything. Can get it all on one normal playthrough.

Oh, I thought there was a difficulty one! Maybe I will get the plat before trading in so. And fair points about the gadget use. I can see the second one having something similar, as I'm really only using the web thingy that covers everyone. Or switch to the focus one if i'm running low on health.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

y9elzhfv4wm11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Well I finished up last night... im not the sort that goes for platinum so I finished with about 81%. All in all its a good game mired down with side ****. I got all the backpacks and towers but when them research centers came up I checked out of side stuff except for bases I did them as the combat is amazing in this game.
    Heres looking forward to the DLC.

Just finished it, wait a ****ing second....

Post credit spoilers.
    Was that the mother****ing symbiote in the tank with Harry??????

c617b3a2gw1ezrwc8ruoyg20c806v4qx.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Finished earlier with 80% completion. It had a brilliant main campaign. I agree with others that said some of the side missions could have been cut back. Did all the landmarks, black cat, backpacks. Only did one challenge and decided they weren't for me. The hideouts and warehouses were cool but the identical crimes in the city were boring. Enjoyed the game but towards the end I was looking forward to it being finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just finished it, wait a ****ing second....

Post credit spoilers.
    Was that the mother****ing symbiote in the tank with Harry??????

c617b3a2gw1ezrwc8ruoyg20c806v4qx.gif

Yes it was :cool:

Yes it was :cool:

I really love that idea.
    Norman creates the symbiote to keep Harry in stasis until a cure is found. Symbiote takes over and turns Harry into Venom who breaks out and goes on a rampage. Spiderman fights/kills him which leads Norman to don the green goblin gear.

Also if we can get Kraven the hunter, Mysterio and Morbius as well, that would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Finished earlier with 80% completion. It had a brilliant main campaign. I agree with others that said some of the side missions could have been cut back. Did all the landmarks, black cat, backpacks. Only did one challenge and decided they weren't for me. The hideouts and warehouses were cool but the identical crimes in the city were boring. Enjoyed the game but towards the end I was looking forward to it being finished.

I'm feeling the same way. I know I'm near the end of the main storyline with 81% but trying to do as much as the side quest stuff before I finish it.

I think I will try and finish it all off with a few beers tomorrow night, might make it more enjoyable

Yeah, I'm 48% complete and have done all the side stuff up to now, and finding it hard to go back. Usually with a new game, that's all I play until I finish it. This, not so much. I'm dropping in for an hour or two and it's off again. Again, stunning looking game, enjoyable, but still missing that little something that makes me want to come back. Just gonna finish it this weekend and trade it in against Odyssey. Maybe the DLC will bring the thing that's missing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just started playing this over the past two nights. I'm enjoying it but the combat is very challenging. I had to drop the game down to the easiest setting and the combat is still difficult, much more difficult than the combat in the Batman games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gonzo wrote:
    just started playing this over the past two nights. I'm enjoying it but the combat is very challenging. I had to drop the game down to the easiest setting and the combat is still difficult, much more difficult than the combat in the Batman games.

Off screen guys with guns are a killer for me. I also find being hit by a punch often stumbles you right into another hit. Barely past the Kingpin fight so it's a very early complaint

Gonzo wrote: »

Launch attacks, mid-air combos, perfect dodge skill for focus building, and then iron spider special = install win. I actually find the combat in this easier than the Arkham games but did find a learning curve here at the start until I discovered spamming certain things = win. Combat became quite trivial and dull after that.

Stick with it anyway, once you get some more gadgets under your belt you'll be fine! Enjoy the game!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I sure hope it gets easier, the Fisk Hideouts are very tough. I'm on my 3rd one and I've spent the last hour trying and failing. I keep getting to the 5th wave but as soon as I die it's back to the start.

Spiderman is as weak as a kitten, a few stray bullets and a few punches and he is dead. I'm thinking of just continuing with the story for now and going back to the Fisk Hideouts later, hopefully later in the game i'll be more able for them.

• Advertisement

Yeah definitely come back later, once you have played more of the story, collected more tokens for upgrades etc, you will have access to a far wider suite of gadgets. I'm about halfway through the story now and just starting to tackle the Fisk hideouts, and now finding them much easier than the introductory one.

You'll enjoy them so much more anyway just because of the variety of ways you'll have to tackle them!

Advertisement