Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider-Man - PS4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Started this last night the opening didn’t wow me I guess it just feels so like Batman arkham reskined as Spidey I admit though it was late and I was bit tired so tonight it will be getting my full attention and I am looking forward to playing this since it was revealed at e3 few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

biggebruv wrote: »
    Started this last night the opening didn’t wow me I guess it just feels so like Batman arkham reskined as Spidey I admit though it was late and I was bit tired so tonight it will be getting my full attention and I am looking forward to playing this since it was revealed at e3 few years back

I really do not understand that comparison everyone keeps making. Apart from the stealth sections I really do not see any similarities between this and the Arkham games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I really do not understand that comparison everyone keeps making. Apart from the stealth sections I really do not see any similarities between this and the Arkham games.

The combat is also pretty much the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Deano7788 wrote: »
    The combat is also pretty much the same...

I dunno, I kinda disagree. Batman's combat was more about being in the middle of a group, hitting one while countering others. Spider-Man's is more about isolating enemies, usually by fighting them in the air, and dodging attacks rather than countering them. Batman's combat was close-up and brutal, Spider-man's is more about maneuverability. I also felt like the Arkham games encouraged gadget-use mid-combat where Spider-Man's combat system doesn't lend itself as well to that.

There's definitely similarities (though how many other games have copied Arkham's combat system too), but after a while I felt it was different enough anyway to still feel familiar, yet different.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Matching the waveform to restore the towers is exactly the same as the Arkham locks. I'm sure its in other games too though so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I think the similarities are valid, they are too similar even if Spidey has different moves, and that Spidey doesn't really tend to get you to rely on gadgets works against this in comparison. I never changed from the first 3 add-ons to my powers throughout the entire game. Batman made sure I used nearly all my gadgets! That's why Batman is the better game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Penn wrote: »
    I dunno, I kinda disagree. Batman's combat was more about being in the middle of a group, hitting one while countering others. Spider-Man's is more about isolating enemies, usually by fighting them in the air, and dodging attacks rather than countering them. Batman's combat was close-up and brutal, Spider-man's is more about maneuverability. I also felt like the Arkham games encouraged gadget-use mid-combat where Spider-Man's combat system doesn't lend itself as well to that.

There's definitely similarities (though how many other games have copied Arkham's combat system too), but after a while I felt it was different enough anyway to still feel familiar, yet different.

I'd agree in a way, although there were definitely times I ended up in groups and just relied on spider sense to avoid attacks, but definitely see where you're coming from

The combat system itself, though is pretty much identical, (but that could be said about loads of games as well at this point), just the situations are slightly different, due to the nature of the character as much anything. I don't think is a flaw or anything, as I really enjoy the combat, although I did prefer what I felt was the greater variety of gadgets and stuff needed in Batman, here I felt I could really on a few reliables that worked every time.

Definitely don't think it's valid to say the only similarity between the 2 is stealth though.

My biggest criticism of the game is the sheer number of bases. Just when I would think I had cleared the lot, oh look, another new set of them, and they're all essentially the same thing. I found it got a bit tiresome eventually (whereas I didn't actually mind the collectibles or anything).

Deano7788 wrote: »
    My biggest criticism of the game is the sheer number of bases. Just when I would think I had cleared the lot, oh look, another new set of them, and they're all essentially the same thing. I found it got a bit tiresome eventually (whereas I didn't actually mind the collectibles or anything).

I didn't mind the bases so much. The ones that open later in the game are definitely harder, which at least makes them a bit more challenging (though moves/gadgets unlocked in the interim can help offset the difficulty). Plus the additional challenges to get more base tokens are harder too.

My only real complaint with them was I didn't really understand the token system until a good way into the game, so hadn't been going for the optional challenges to get more tokens. Still had enough by the end to unlock mostly everything that required them so didn't have to redo any of them, but just didn't cop the requirement for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sold this today for 48 cash off Cex. The guy said they are getting loads of copies since the new FIFA came out so I expect their price to drop very soon, in case anyone else was planning to sell to them.

12 euro profit on an absolutely brilliant game, not too shabby. The was something missing that would make me want to hold onto it or playthrough again. On that basis alone, I think Batman Arkham Asylum still holds the crown but I'm very interested to see where this gaming MCU goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Oh theres a lot of similarities, plain as day what Insomniac were copying.

-Button to "zip" to a point (R1 for Bats, L2 + R2 for Spidey)
    -Press a button mid zip to "boost" off it instead of stopping dead
    -The way you can dive straight down and then glide up/swing for added speed
    -Aforementioned stealth system (though Batman has more to it with multiple takedown methods)
    -Combat system (again, not as good)

Largest thing Spidey doesn't copy are the Riddler trophies: small little puzzles to help break up the game, would help alleviate the base-grind later in the game. But I guess it does have the random crimes, which are just more combat encounters.

For which has the better combat, Batman wins hands down. There is a great rhythm to the fights in the Arkham games, as you attempt to prioritize the enemies (guns first) and using your gadgets to gain the upper hand while slowly dismantling them by breaking riot sticks, smashing guns & knives and denting shields. That and the fact if you push a direction and punch, Bats will leap to the nearest enemy (with range), which aggravates me so much in Spiderman where you are punching the air a ton of times because that crook is 4m away and you can only hit people 3m away!

Spiderman does feel great to move around in, swinging is so much fun....but once you have to stop and do anything it kind of drags a bit for me!

:edit: Almost forgot....forced stealth sections with MJ or Miles...yay.....this was why I bought a game with Spiderman on the cover!

• Advertisement

Got all the map towers ,back packs and photo landmarks is that all the collectibles in around the city or do more open up later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Oh theres a lot of similarities, plain as day what Insomniac were copying.

-Button to "zip" to a point (R1 for Bats, L2 + R2 for Spidey)
    -Press a button mid zip to "boost" off it instead of stopping dead
    -The way you can dive straight down and then glide up/swing for added speed
    -Aforementioned stealth system (though Batman has more to it with multiple takedown methods)
    -Combat system (again, not as good)

Right but these are moves spidey does in the movies/comics, they had to assign them to a button configuration, kinda pointless even trying to class this as a fault :rolleyes:

For which has the better combat, Batman wins hands down.

Strongly disagree here, Batman combat was mind numbingly boring, you can literally just spam triangle to just counter your way through fights, you were pretty much invulnerable once you just pressed the counter button, it was face roll easy stuff. The fighting only gets interesting in boss fights which are sparse. Or the odd heavy, who you just use the same tactic every time to take out, then back to mashing triangle for whatevers left..

In Spiderman you're kinda forced to expand your attack pattern and use the environment around you to regain the upper hand when things get heavy.
    That and the fact if you push a direction and punch, Bats will leap to the nearest enemy (with range), which aggravates me so much in Spiderman where you are punching the air a ton of times because that crook is 4m away and you can only hit people 3m away!

Ummm you can lock on and web and pull yourself towards targets, did you even look at the moves you can do or are you just unhappy you cant mash buttons to get where you want? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

If the game forces me to do one more of those Dr Octavius' grid puzzles I may genuinely uninstall the game.

I feel like for the past few hours of story missions that any time I felt a bit of momentum pick up, the game pulls me out of the experience by making me go back to do one of those ****e puzzles.

The ending can't come quick enough tbh, I'm only playing due to how good the ending is supposed to be. What began as perhaps my most anticipated game of the gen has quickly become one of my most despised.

I think the sequel could be great though, I think this game clearly was made in a vacuum and Insomniac obviously began development on this when middle of the road, open world checklists were all the rage a few years back.

You can turn off the puzzles as far as I recall. Even lets you get the Platinum too with them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

goon_magee wrote: »
    If the game forces me to do one more of those Dr Octavius' grid puzzles I may genuinely uninstall the game.

I feel like for the past few hours of story missions that any time I felt a bit of momentum pick up, the game pulls me out of the experience by making me go back to do one of those ****e puzzles.

The ending can't come quick enough tbh, I'm only playing due to how good the ending is supposed to be. What began as perhaps my most anticipated game of the gen has quickly become one of my most despised.

I think the sequel could be great though, I think this game clearly was made in a vacuum and Insomniac obviously began development on this when middle of the road, open world checklists were all the rage a few years back.

Only noticed after watching Videogamedunkeys video on Spiderman that you can skip the circuit puzzles once your in them which makes them even more pointless than they were to begin with. Think you press L1, should say it at bottom of screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Platinumed it last night. Turned into some grind at the end doing those crime missions. Pure stubbornness got me that platinum. Wasn't enjoyable at all in the end. Swinging around for hours waiting to see a red exclamation mark or hear the radio and then check the map. Liked the story but the other aspects of the game like side missions, crimes and puzzles needed a lot more variety than they had.

Overall I really liked the game and in my opinion Insomniac 100% nailed what it feels like to be Spider-Man after all is said and done. They've a serious base for a game now and they only need to tweak a few things to get it all right. Looking forward to number 2 already!

I liked it but in the end to me it was no more memorable than say the amazing spiderman 1 game tie in.

The game stalled a lot when doing those crap miles and Mary Jane missions

And we spent way to much time going back to the stupid homeless shelter and lab like there was hardly anywhere else.

All the bosses felt the same there was no variety in how you beat them like the Batman games with all your gadgets

The side missions are not a patch on Batman’s either

Also most missions were not great the spoiled the best mission at e3 the helicopter sequence there was nothing much else that exciting once you seen that.

The ending didn’t make me feel anything either I just didn’t care for that character really or Mary Jane

The best thing about the game is the swinging and NY looks amazing aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm planning to finish it this weekend. I've been doing all the side quests as they pop up, so I have all the warehouses, Black Cat, Taskmaster done, as well as all the bags, labs etc. I still have some LOCKED activities on the map, but should have it all done by Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm planning to finish it this weekend. I've been doing all the side quests as they pop up, so I have all the warehouses, Black Cat, Taskmaster done, as well as all the bags, labs etc. I still have some LOCKED activities on the map, but should have it all done by Sunday.

Those final locked activities are a total grind.

I've one main mission left and some crimes to finish up as well as some TM challenges (have barely touched them) and then the stupid secret photos which sound like a bit of overkill on the side activities.

Story has been great and have really enjoyed the boss battles. That said, I'm looking forward to finishing up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Got the platinum a few days ago. It's a good game but as others have already said it gets very grindy near the end. A lot of the side stuff isn't too interesting with the exception maybe of the gang hideouts and the taskmaster bomb challenges. I really disliked the Oscorp research missions, landmark photos and taskmaster drone challenges. Oh, and the pigeon missions, I hated them.

That being said though, the fact that I bothered getting the platinum is testament to how fun the moment to moment gameplay is. The traversal is fun and I much prefer the combat in this to the arkham trilogy. This is the second time I've ever bothered getting a platinum.

While I didn't think the story was particulary interesting I thought the actual writing was really good and some of the emotional beats really hit I think, for me anyways.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think as others have said, it's a great game at its core and there's a lot to like about it but there are some mis-steps in terms of the side activities, and like the Riddler stuff in the Arkham games it becomes stuff you want to try and get through just because you're enjoying playing the game or going for the Platinum rather than actually enjoying those activities.

But I think Insomniac did a fantastic job with the game and they have a really solid base for a sequel, which I would look forward to immensely.

Agree entirely.

I guess its good to have crimes etc to clean up post story as I've played so many games where you finish the story and get a cool upgrade/suit/ability and then have literally nothing to do with it so in one way having the additional crimes etc is good.

Plus it's only grindy (I guess) if you're pushing for the platinum, which is the case in most games!

Agree entirely.

I guess its good to have crimes etc to clean up post story as I've played so many games where you finish the story and get a cool upgrade/suit/ability and then have literally nothing to do with it so in one way having the additional crimes etc is good.

Plus it's only grindy (I guess) if you're pushing for the platinum, which is the case in most games!

And, to compare it to the Arkham games again, far less grindy when you consider the amount of Riddler trophies and riddles, plus how numerous and difficult the challenge rooms were in going for the Platinum. I think Spider-man got the balance of side activities and collectibles right, just not necessarily the quality of some of them.

Penn wrote: »
    And, to compare it to the Arkham games again, far less grindy when you consider the amount of Riddler trophies and riddles, plus how numerous and difficult the challenge rooms were in going for the Platinum. I think Spider-man got the balance of side activities and collectibles right, just not necessarily the quality of some of them.

The riddler trophy’s are puzzles though and all were different the crimes in spiderman are the same crimes over and over

Instead of making it 5 of each in each district it should have been 3 or 2 of each in each district

biggebruv wrote: »
    The riddler trophy’s are puzzles though and all were different the crimes in spiderman are the same crimes over and over

Instead of making it 5 of each in each district it should have been 3 or 2 of each in each district

But many of the riddler trophies were collectibles or puzzles which required different gadgets to obtain, which led to a lot of backtracking, searching and in the case of the puzzle ones, trying to figure out how to do it. They were grindy, but in a different way. Spider-man, when you combine the collectibles, crimes, pigeons etc, they're definitely grindy, but in the majority of cases they're easy to find and easy to complete regardless of when you actually attempt or find them. They rarely require special skills and you can complete them as you go without having to try searching for them.

They're definitely grindy, and as I say, the quality of them is more of an issue than anything, but when I think back to trying to get the Platinums for Arkham Asylum & City, I would definitely consider them as requiring far more of a grind than Spider-Man, which I platinumed in about a week or a little more. The Arkham games required a lot more backtracking through areas several times before you finally notice a wall with a crack in it you can blow up, or puzzles with frustrating time restraints compared to the requirements to platinum Spider-Man (which doesn't for example even require all golds in Taskmaster challenges, or all secondary requirements in enemy bases etc). And that's not even counting the combat and stealth challenge rooms in the Arkham games, many of which require many, many attempts to get gold in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Is there any online trophies to achieve? Normally that’s what’s stops me getting the platinum!

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Is there any online trophies to achieve? Normally that’s what’s stops me getting the platinum!

None. There is no online play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

None. There is no online play.

Cheers ! Think I will buy this soon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Cheers ! Think I will buy this soon

You'll get the platinum handy enough, just be wary with the spending of the rewards from some challenges. One of the trophies needs you to purchase all the suits, and you'll end up grinding some challenges to get a higher score if you overspend them on gadget upgrades. Other than that, it's a case of completing everything! No bad trophies really!

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

You'll get the platinum handy enough, just be wary with the spending of the rewards from some challenges. One of the trophies needs you to purchase all the suits, and you'll end up grinding some challenges to get a higher score if you overspend them on gadget upgrades. Other than that, it's a case of completing everything! No bad trophies really!

Enjoy!

I was gonna go for the platinum but after reaching Act 3 tonight and 2 new loads of random crimes pops up and more outposts I don’t even think I’ll bother, there’s way too much filler activities in this game and they’re all starting to feel like a chore at this stage.

Advertisement