Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider-Man - PS4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

20 hours of a campaign would do me grand. When I see '20 hours', I also see 'game I can finish!'.

Dunne has said it's 12-15 hours and he's played it so it's not 20 hours.

I'll probably pick it up in a few weeks when it drops in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

All depends on the child really. What other games do they play?

Normally just Lego games but loves super hero stuff so just thought this game might be good and the fact spiderman doesn't seem as dark as other super hero's

TitianGerm wrote:
    Dunne has said it's 12-15 hours and he's played it so it's not 20 hours.

In fairness I was milling through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

That's about the standard length for most video game stories, this isn't some Fallout/Witcher style RPG that'll go on for 100+ hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

That's about the standard length for most video game stories, this isn't some Fallout/Witcher style RPG that'll go on for 100+ hours.

All of the Arkham games were much much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

were they? main story in origins was about 21 if i remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I do love HLBT for these times...

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Batman: Arkham City

Batman: Arkham Origins

Bearing in mind the sheer quantity of side missions was a point of contention with the later Arkham games and the fact their critical paths are generally carefully designed to target a particular playtime, it looks like Spider-Man is pretty much on par.

Not according to howlongtobeat.com

4iBXoZS.png
    96BbbUp.png
    NYmhGTq.png
    RTAZsJg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Really? How long to beat has Asylum at 11 hours, City at 12 hours and Knight at 15.5 for just the main stories. Assume that's similar here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

20 is more than enough here. I'd imagine 12 to 15 more likely. I see the DLC as glorified side quests. Course it sucks we are being told about dlc content before the game releases so it's obviously cut content but that's the game industry these days, nothing new.

If the main story is any longer, it would be padded with shyte. Want a 30 hour plus game? Play an RPG.

It's not how long it is, but what you do with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Should replace completionist with Riddler trophy hunter for the Arkham games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Playing through Rise of the Tomb Raider makes me wish for a longer interesting story and less padded content as most of the tombs and side missions are legit 5 minutes max if you know where they are located. Seem to remember it was much the same with the Arkham games, answer a phone, destroy a tank for Bane, find bodies. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I cant see a problem with it "just" being 20 hours and I dont care there are less puddles but I am going to wait for reviews before any money is put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Anywhere between 10-20hrs is fine by me...... Backlog is long enough as is.

HLTB also has Just Cause 3 listed as 17 hours and I played 25 hours of it without ever leaving like the second area just because of how fun it was flying around so I'd assume I'll have a similar experience swinging around in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Never played a spiderman game before. Did i read that this is a stand alone game and story so should have no issues picking this up without having the story of previous games?

Never played a spiderman game before. Did i read that this is a stand alone game and story so should have no issues picking this up without having the story of previous games?

Yupp, they have setup their own story for this that is different from previous comics, games and films. It is set 8 years into Spidey's career so it's an advanced version of the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I think people are overthinking this whole 20-hour fiasco. When they said "20 hours" they said "main story". I think 20 hours is a fair chunk if that's the case. This clearly doesn't include everything else you can potentially do in the game.
    As already mentioned, the Arkham games were shorter on average if you just played the story. God of War was also roughly 20 hours according to HLTB;
    - Doom is nearly 12hrs
    - Dishonored is 12 hours
    - Tomb Raider is 11.5 hours
    - The Last of Us is 14-15 hours

20 hours is perfectly reasonable, I don't understand why people would even be irritated by this. Mass Effect 2, for example, is regarded as one of Bioware's greatest RPGs and you can beat the story in over 25 hours, which I bet if that statistic was given before its release, people would complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Slightly off topic but relevant for Spider-Man sort of. I've preordered the game from Smyths but my bank cancelled the card on the order last week (they cancelled an incorrect card - geniuses). Has anyone had a payment declined for a preorder previously and do they just ask you in advance to re-enter card details?

Just don't want to lose the good price. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Agreed, it's an awful bar to judge a game on. It's merely indicative of the main game length as an idea. If it's criminally short or long, sure it can then be an issue but it's pretty much sitting in a good, fairly common spot.

The Last of Us clocks in at 15.5 hours on HLTB and I've never heard anyone complain about the game's length (outside of wanting more because it was so good).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

20 hours seems plenty imo. Have enough games to get through anyway.

Really hoping this is good though, actually pre-ordered it just so I'd have it on the day for something to play.
    Don't think I've played a Spidey game since Ultimate Spider-man on the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

ThePott wrote: »
    20 hours seems plenty imo. Have enough games to get through anyway.

Really hoping this is good though, actually pre-ordered it just so I'd have it on the day for something to play.
    Don't think I've played a Spidey game since Ultimate Spider-man on the PS2.

It absolutely is plenty. This game has went under so much scrutiny over the past couple of weeks. There have been three separate "issues" people have been flipping out over and they have all been so petty.

First it was the DLC being announced and people were screaming bloody murder over "cut content", which really confused me as the digital deluxe edition and season pass were announced back in Spring, so DLC was going to happen. Also, a different team is working on said DLC externally. I said elsewhere that if that Season Pass was released without any post-launch details, people would have cried "I want to know what I'm paying for, we should be told what the season pass contains", and even then, details were actually given, and people started giving out about it not being in the game on launch. Like, I don't understand that. It wouldn't have mattered when the DLC was going to come out - that complaint would have still existed.

Then last week it was that absolutely STUPID "graphical downgrade" problem that, honestly, it's not worth discussing at this stage. Very petty and very negligible.

And now this - the time it should take to beat the main story.

All of these complaints and the only thing I'm annoyed at is the game isn't on my PS4 yet. :pac:

Only big complaint I have (and it's got nothing to do with the game itself) is that it's somehow 15 quid cheaper for me to have a physical copy shipped over from the UK than it is to just buy it digitally. Sony really need to sort out their store prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Only big complaint I have (and it's got nothing to do with the game itself) is that it's somehow 15 quid cheaper for me to have a physical copy shipped over from the UK than it is to just buy it digitally. Sony really need to sort out their store prices.

One of the reasons its higher is the fact you will have to get it shipped or collect it for release day, ease of access is the main reason it's so highly priced

It's not just Sony that do that, Nintendo do it as well and I don't know for sure but I can only imagine Microsoft do too

Slightly off topic but relevant for Spider-Man sort of. I've preordered the game from Smyths but my bank cancelled the card on the order last week (they cancelled an incorrect card - geniuses). Has anyone had a payment declined for a preorder previously and do they just ask you in advance to re-enter card details?

Just don't want to lose the good price. Thanks!

Not sure if you're on Twitter but if you are, go to @asksmythstoys. They are very good to respond. I'm not sure how they'll react to a cancelled card but they might just not send the game and cancel the order so I'd definitely check with them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,883 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

One of the reasons its higher is the fact you will have to get it shipped or collect it for release day, ease of access is the main reason it's so highly priced

It's not just Sony that do that, Nintendo do it as well and I don't know for sure but I can only imagine Microsoft do too

I thought the big reason that Digital was more expensive was simply so that Sony et al didn't destroy the bricks and mortar gaming industry. If they undercut them it would be a huge issue, and we could see GameStop and the like simply go under - and the gaming companies, for now, need them to survive to push hardware and sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I thought the big reason that Digital was more expensive was simply so that Sony et al didn't destroy the bricks and mortar gaming industry. If they undercut them it would be a huge issue, and we could see GameStop and the like simply go under - and the gaming companies, for now, need them to survive to push hardware and sales.

Thats probably one of the big reasons too, for big games like Red Dead as well there’s also the chance of your physical store running out of stock whereas the online store cant, and a lot will pay that 15/20 extra to be sure of the game come release time

Id rarely buy games digital because you cant sell on digital games, id almost always sell on a game that id play just for the story mode because its just collecting dust and losing value on my shelf, if i want to play again i can buy again, iv bought and sold The Last of Us 3 times now

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Not sure if you're on Twitter but if you are, go to @asksmythstoys. They are very good to respond. I'm not sure how they'll react to a cancelled card but they might just not send the game and cancel the order so I'd definitely check with them first.

Sorted thanks for the suggestion. They got back to me on twitter quick after not getting back to me at all with a query through their site last week!

Card will be declined one or two days before release, I'll get a mail and have 24 hours to remedy or preorder will be cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Review embargo lifts at 3pm apparently.
    Should be interesting to see how it rates.

Advertisement