Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group E - Belgium vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE & ITV

• 18-06-2016 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

belgium-republic-of-ireland-roi-badge-graphic-preview-euros-euro-2016_3483770.jpg?20160614112453

Belgium vs Ireland

2:00pm Saturday 18th June
    Nouveau Stade Bordeaux

It's the one we've been waiting for. Not long to go now.

Belgium are second in the rankings but they've had a dismal week with a poor performance in their loss to Italy and rumours of unrest behind the scenes. Questions have been asked about Marc Wilmots's tactics and it's not clear who will start for them in attack as Lukaku had a bad game and may be axed.

As for ourselves, we look to be without Jon Walters through injury but seem to have a clean bill of health besides that. Big question mark is who replaces Walters. Does McClean come in, or perhaps Meyler? Maybe Christie on the right flank?

Here's hoping Long can get more opportunities in this game and take them when they come along. McCarthy needs a big game too.

How does this one go...I'm expecting a reaction from the Belgians and with De Bruyne rumoured to be getting to play in his preferred number 10 role, I think he will cause us problems. I'm worried. I fear this may be our toughest game. Sadly, my head says it will be Belgium's day but the heart doesn't want to believe that. I think we can get a result but we will need a big performance, an off-day again for Belgium, a bit of luck, and some cool heads to prevail - unlike the game with Sweden.

How do you see this one going? Can we do it?

Come on, Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

We're never gonna have a better opportunity (prior to the game) to beat a team so high up in the rankings. The Belgians are in complete disarray and I actually think frustrating them early is key. If we can deny them an early goal, that'll get them chirping at each other once again.

I hope it's Meyler who takes Walters place. He is the person who least disrupts our formation which worked well against the Swedes. If McClean plays, he removes our biggest threat in Brady, so I hope it's Brady and Hendrick again up the left wing.

For all the talk of us being unable to score, we have only failed to score once in our last 13 competitive matches, being Scotland away, where MON made a bit of a balls of the team selection and he learned his lesson. We do have the capabilities to score tomorrow. I want to believe that we can at least get a draw and be in the driving seat going into the final game, but my head tells me Belgium will nick it by the odd goal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ireland put in a very conservative, underwhelming performance after a positive display twice in the qualifiers. Scotland and Poland away followed the German games..the Poland one in particular where qualification was in their hands had they gone for it...

That's what they need to avoid repeating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Would have to say I'd be shocked if we won and maybe a little bit surprised if we were to get a draw. You'd have to think Belgium's attacking threat will get at least a few chances over the 90 minutes and surely one or two will go in.

Hope it's not a game where we're pinned in our own half the entire game but we probably won't get many chances. Any that we do, we just have to take. It would be great to get a result here and at least put us in 3rd position and go into the Italy game knowing a draw would be good enough to secure 3rd.

I'm going to try avoid any hope and anything good that comes is a bonus and go for a 2-0 Belgian win. frown.png

The very best of luck to Martin, Roy and all the lads. COYBIG

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Probably the pessimist in me speaking, but I'd snap your arm off for a draw right now.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

Probably the pessimist in me speaking, but I'd snap your arm off for a draw right now.

No, a draw would be a stellar result. Talk of that Belgian team not being so good is making me nervous, setting us up for a fall. They're still a team of world-class players, so I think we are waaaaay overestimating the effect of some discontent in their camp. Well, that might be more of a factor in a game with more parity in skill, but I think there's a gulf there in this one to come, (sorry Robbie, sorry Wessie) that won't be overridden. They'll have a point to prove. As good as Ireland were in parts of the game v. Sweden, they'll have to be better than that, for the whole game, and hope for a better share of luck.

And Walters being out is a huge blow. Clark is a liability. McClean is a hothead with more b*llox than skill. McGeady is only good for his mazy runs to nothing, and he's no longer even good for that. Going for the jugular tomorrow would only expose an even more limited Irish side than usual. Pragmatism and using the midfield to shield the defense would be the key - trying to hold the ball - Ireland won't be able to manage 90 minutes of backs to the wall without conceding. In the event Ireland could score a goal early, they'd really be run ragged trying to the defend that lead.

Hopefully it works out, anyway. The country seems to really wanna party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Am I the only one who thinks Belgium are massive favourites to win this and the optimism floating around/bookie prices are absolutely insane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

CSF wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Belgium are massive favourites to win this and the optimism floating around/bookie prices are absolutely insane?
    They're 5/6 on PP right now, that is a big enough price I have to say for a side that will most likely win. It's probably due to many lumping on us both in blind fate (and to be fair off the back of the Sweden performance) and in response to Belgium's poor opener v Italy. The fact that all the "smaller" teams in the tournament so far have done well might also play a part.

As for the game, if we fall a goal behind it's hard to see us getting anything. We're just not equipped to chase games so it's vital to keep them out, especially early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I think we have a real shot. I really do.

Belgium play like a team who has never met each other before. No interest in build up play, they all just seem to want create a great piece of individual skill, which works against many teams, but if the lads defend well and are able to break up their play and frustrate them, we could get the win.

Belgium's left back is a center back who plays for Montreal Impact, a huge weakness. If we can get Brady and Hendricks out to exploit him on the counter we can get a goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Just looking at it objectively, Belgium were the favorites to win the group, off a bad loss, and have the chance to get back on track by beating what is probably the worst team in the group. I'll be shocked if the Belgians don't take the 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think a draw would be a great result, better than the point we got v Sweden, as we came away disappointed from that game.

Belgium are a better team than Sweden. Add to this the fact they lost their opener, they will really be going for the 3 pts off us.

• Advertisement

If a draw now means we could draw against Italy and get through, then I'd definitely take it.

Presume Belgium expect to beat us, and always saw us and Sweden as 6 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think our best hope is a draw today, and maybe sneak 3 against an Italian team playing a second string side since they are already through.

Having said that, this assumes a 2nd string side will be easier to beat. Many will be trying to impress.

Have to say, while I'd take a draw, when I recall Heysel 1981, Gerets diving, Ceulemans foul on MacDonagh, Stapleton's disallowed goal, Belgians bribing referees wholesale, Brady Lawrenson and others denied the chance to go to the WC by the cheating cheating cheating Belgians...if we do nothing else in this tournament I'd laugh if we beat Belgium and they didn't make the knockouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Up since 5:20, nerves are shot. And now I'm wrecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Wouldn't a win be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Reckon Belgium turn up today and give us a tonking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

just go back to bed for an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Me too! But I have kids so I kinda deserve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I wish I was optimistic.

But I fear there is a thumping coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

Lot of misplaced optimism going around ever since the Swedish game ignoring the fact it's a game we should've won. I've seen stuff online and also in mainstream media downplaying Belgium and using the fact they lost their first match as a sign we could win ignoring the fact they were poor and coming up against a very good well organised Italian side. Will they play as poor again? And even if they do is a Belgian side playing poorly still good enough to beat us? Will they create chances? I'd say yes.

There was so much hype over Ibrahimovic before the first game everyone wondering how we'd deal with Swedens only world class player - how will we deal with a side with more than one? I think we could nab a draw but only if everything goes right for us. We need to play very well and have a big slice of luck. Can't see it happening though and I'll go for Belgium to win comfortably

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

What about your own bloody arm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Reckon Belgium turn up today and give us a tonking.

They'll certainly will if the irish players woke up today with your attitude lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Tempted to put money on Belgium for the win. It's the only way I can think to guarantee they won't get the victory 😫

remoteboy wrote: »
    Tempted to put money on Belgium for the win. It's the only way I can think to guarantee they won't get the victory 😫

What price? If I put a 100 quid on them I surely won't be as depressed if we loose.
    We will draw so :P

remoteboy wrote: »

Just done exactly this. 5/6 is probably still too big for them to be fair. But saying that, they seem to be in serious disarray.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Just done exactly this. 5/6 is probably still too big for them to be fair. But saying that, they seem to be in serious disarray.

Done. 4/5 on Paddy Power. Had credit in my wallet. Happy to throw away a tenner if it means a draw / victory. #COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

SantryRed wrote: »

20 quid on them on PP, get a free 5 bet for every time they score too.

it means it can't be too disappointed!

Added Vermaelen to my fantasy euro team too. Not taking any chances 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

3-1 Belgium Shane long to score out goal in the 34th min

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

just go back to bed for an hour

If only I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Clampdown wrote: »
    Just looking at it objectively, Belgium were the favorites to win the group, off a bad loss, and have the chance to get back on track by beating what is probably the worst team in the group. I'll be shocked if the Belgians don't take the 3 points.

Think Sweden are actually better than us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I have a feeling we will be without hoolihan so we will be much more nervous on the ball.

Belgium will pepper our goals with little end product, 60%+ possession.

We might escape with a draw, but the performance will be nothing like the Swedish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Think it ends a draw.

It's a very generous price for Belgium. Almost too good to pass up. But when prices are that good they don't not to work out well ( from a betting perspective)

20 quid on them on PP, get a free 5 bet for every time they score too.

it means it can't be too disappointed!

Put 20 quid on and didn't even know this. Bets galore on the other two games afterwards if we lose :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Belgium are not a great collective team, they are a bunch of individuals, some world class individuals but time and time again the team have shown to be underperformers.

They had a decent qualifying group with a home win and away draw vs Wales and same results as us vs Bosnia.

Being in 'disarray' at the moment slightly concerns me but I think we should go into this fearless, Walters is a big loss but hopefully McClean will come into replace him and display his passion and drive the team on.

Going for a narrow last gasp Ireland win...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I can't believe 5/6 on Belgium i just couldn't back them but it's an unreal price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think 5/6 for Belgium (55% chance of the win) is about right. I don't see how they could be trusted to win any international match against a not too far below average, hard working side. Particularly given their performance level under Wilmots in the last match and in the qualifiers. There's too much uncertainty over them to be considered big odds on favorites in any match like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A draw would be a very good result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

if we finish the group in 3rd place with 3 points what the likelihood of progressing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

3-0 Ireland, two red cards for a hot-headed and all-over-the-place Belgium. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

donegal. wrote: »
    if we finish the group in 3rd place with 3 points what the likelihood of progressing?

Better than if we finish first IIRC. I think I read if we finish 2nd we're likely to play Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

hogey143 wrote: »
    Belgium are not a great collective team, they are a bunch of individuals, some world class individuals but time and time again the team have shown to be underperformers.

They had a decent qualifying group with a home win and away draw vs Wales and same results as us vs Bosnia.

Being in 'disarray' at the moment slightly concerns me but I think we should go into this fearless, Walters is a big loss but hopefully McClean will come into replace him and display his passion and drive the team on.

Going for a narrow last gasp Ireland win...
    I was looking up Belgium's qualifying group last night and in fact Belgium drew 0-0 at home and lost 1-0 lost in Wales so they couldn't manage a goal over 180 mins.
    I don't like all this talk about internal divisions in the Belgium squad, that has nothing to do with us and they might even use this to their advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Dembele been brought in is massive for them.

I expect him to fully control the midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Better than if we finish first IIRC. I think I read if we finish 2nd we're likely to play Portugal.

I'd imagine the op meant if we finish 3rd on 3 points what is the likelihood of that being enough to get us into the last 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I think Belgium will win, Walters will be a big loss. Can't see us having too many chances in this game at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

As expected Fellaini is dropped after that toxic display. Belgium should win comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    As expected Fellaini is dropped after that toxic display. Belgium should win comfortably.

Where did you get the teams usually not out until an hour before kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Big call is who comes in for Walters. Will they risk McClean ? Given that he is always a red card waiting to happen even though he would be the more positive forward thinking option ? Or will they go with some combination of Christie and Coleman down the right ? I wouldn't like to see McGeady or Meyer start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

I reckon Belgiums defense is brittle. That left back from Montreal is not the greatest and I reckon Brady can really take advantage of that. Going for a cheeky 1-0 win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement