Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group E - Belgium vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE & ITV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I really hope we don't end up regretting not putting Sweden away. Really was a missed opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

the fields of athenry is a now a verbal white flag

No, no its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

radiata wrote: »
    Bentekes a donkey

If his name was O'Benteke he would the first name on the Irish teamsheet without fail. Meanwhile hes a squad player for Belgium because they have even better players ahead of him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Irish fans singing. FFS.
    NO!!!! At a FOOTBALL GAME???? The b@stards!!!! Bet they're chanting "Ireland" as well!! Worse than the Russians they are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Stop shooting at your own players for fcuk sake!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Cud we be out of it by the time we play Italy ?

No, final group games on at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

keano_afc wrote: »
    I really hope we don't end up regretting not putting Sweden away. Really was a missed opportunity.

We should be regretting it. The problem with Ireland is our lack of winning mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Sand wrote: »
    If his name was O'Benteke he would the first name on the Irish teamsheet without fail.

Or McBenteke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

We need to get Conor Meredith out to France.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Irish fans singing. FFS.

Yea, who needs fans singing at a game when they should be getting angry behind a key board like yourself.

I'm surprised Hyundai haven't been around to you to feature in their next "Football is nothing without fans" ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

I wonder if there's a Pavlovian reponse from the players; as soon as they here The Fields of Athenry they just give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. There is no doubt the lads do their very best but it will only get you so far

Im sorry but we can do alot better than this, no time at any level should be time wasting in the opening stages of the match at 0-0.Belgium are not one of the better sides in this tournament we seen that the first day, but we have made them look great.

The first half was as **** as the 2nd, we are just getting what we deserve. Hoof ball up to an isolated striker, with an anonymous midfield and instructions from management to be as negative as possible. Look at the Northern Ireland team, its night and day . We dont deserve to go through and there is no danger of this side posing Italy problems, O'Neill is resistent to change

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Republic of Ireland is the new Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Fields of Athenry is more a demotivational song for the soccer team at this stage. I associate it with us getting our arses handed to us by Spain at 4-0 down

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think all the fans ask for is effort and ambition. Today Ireland capitulated.

The tactics were negative. You have to have a go, there's no point coming playing for draws. You could play for another 90 minutes and Ireland still wouldn't score.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Oh we will.

Let's be honest we all knew that was our chance including players and management.

Bottled it when we went ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

radiata wrote: »
    Bentekes a donkey

They can afford to play a donkey without dropping points :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Honestly, I would've brought Daryl Murphy on after half time. The way we were playing was screaming out for a target man like him to nod the ball down to Long. I'm no fan of Murphy but he would've suited our game to be honest.

I wouldn't say it was a pathetic display or anything really. It was just a situation of if we conceded first, we were fúcked, no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Irish fans singing. FFS.

Worst post ever.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Disappointed to lose by 3 goals, thought we could maybe grind out a dirty draw.

I'm not surprised tho, they are levels above us man for man, it would have taking a tactical masterclass and amazing spirit by the players to get anything from this game.

Forget about it and just hope we get a 2nd string Italy team and some complacency from them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Im sorry but we can do alot better than this, no time at any level should be time wasting in the opening stages of the match at 0-0.Belgium are not one of the better sides in this tournament we seen that the first day, but we have made them look great.

They are ranked second in the world, better than most sides in the tournament and are vastly, vastly better than Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Better team won. Hoping we can get the act together against Italy on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I was saying exactly this at about 10pm on Monday in front of the Harp pub on whatever that street that was in Paris. I was told to shut up and handed a can of Kronenberg 7%

. . . .and I think that message still rings through today :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Sweden to beat Belgium and Ireland beat Italy would be just perfect

Ye that would be great except Sweden have not had a single shot on target in the two games they have played so far and after watching Belgium play and win today. Belgium are clearly a much better team than Sweden.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Honestly, I would've brought Daryl Murphy on after half time. The way we were playing was screaming out for a target man like him to nod the ball down to Long. I'm no fan of Murphy but he would've suited our game to be honest.

I wouldn't say it was a pathetic display or anything really. It was just a situation of if we conceded first, we were fúcked.

Just no, the guy was lucky to be on the plane, never mind playing in this competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

BgSJjicIUAAiMtE.jpg

SHODDY SHODDY SHODDY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

That could be Robbie's last game. Well it's gotta be either this or the Italy game (if he gets on) surely?

Poor performance. O Neill clearly went for the draw.

Still in it, just

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

awec wrote: »

The tactics were negative. You have to have a go, there's no point coming playing for draws. You could play for another 90 minutes and Ireland still wouldn't score.

That is what NI did against Poland, and what they will do against Germany. Your side beat a Ukraine team that are far worse than Sweden, Belgium and Italy.

The players didn't capitulate today; they were simply outclassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The Fields of Athenry singing is a real double edged sword.

I get that people have spent fortunes to go there and they are supporting their side but then it's an acceptance of mediocrity too.

John Delaney is there with a head like a bear on him after being on the piss last night and the man is butchering the game here.

The Croatians are in a similar situation with their FA and have made it very clear they want the fcukers gone.
    I'm not saying our fans should start throwing fire works but I'd like to see some anger so maybe in 4 years when we have Euro games in Ireland we can put it up to sides like Belgium!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

And the envy of virtually every other country there.

Don't let inadequacy on the pitch detract from Irish soccer's biggest positive-the fans.

Yeah we're great Europeans. We'll take on all your debt while we're at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Worst team in the tournament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Hoped for a draw, but we didn't deserve it.

Let's hope the rugby is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

It's over George,stop deluding yourself and insulting the intelligence of the Irish fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

funtime93 wrote: »
    Goal difference would only really matter if we finished on 3 points. If we beat Italy we finish on 4. That would be enough regardless of goal difference.

I Dont think that's correct. Surely if our goal difference is worse than all the other 3rd place team then we are out BUT we have to beat Italy 1st.

Jayop wrote: »
    I wasn't having a go at you. I was agreeing with you.

I'm very very sorry I misinterpreted it whatever way you stated it :o:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

No complaints, totally outclassed. No Luc Nillis sucker punch they are just miles ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Genuinely scratching my head that people who watch football regularly cant see that we opened up after half time and had the go that the experts in here wanted at half time. People were calling their first half display dishonest! FFS. Ye got what ye wished for. A more open second half against one of the top teams in Europe. Fun, eh?

Opened up after first goal you mean. They caught us from a corner that wasn't opening up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

edgecutter wrote: »
    Just no, the guy was lucky to be on the plane, never mind playing in this competition.

I know, he drives me nuts too, but what else should we have done? We couldn't string two passes together as it was. Better off giving ourselves the best possible chance for the way we were playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

They're dancing in the streets of Lurgan and Bushmills

I don't think we're a better side but we have a better manager.

Martin O'Neill is yesterday's man. He will struggle to land a job at a high level after his current gig.

I agree Micheal O Neill is a better manager. Northern Ireland are better set up and a better team. Martin really is not up to it, far to negative stubborn and set in his ways. Would never have made the changes and attacking display NIreland did against Ukraine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

belgian fans were amazing today.vocal. vibrant.vivacious.victorious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Opened up after first goal you mean. They caught us from a corner that wasn't opening up

From a high foot that should have been a penalty too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

baldbear wrote: »
    I Dont think that's correct. Surely if our goal difference is worse than all the other 3rd place team then we are out BUT we have to beat Italy 1st.

That's assuming all the other 3rd place teams finish on 4pts which they won't.

The Fields of Athenry singing is a real double edged sword.

I get that people have spent fortunes to go there and they are supporting their side but then it's an acceptance of mediocrity too.

John Delaney is there with a head like a bear on him after being on the piss last night and the man is butchering the game here.

The Croatians are in a similar situation with their FA and have made it very clear they want the fcukers gone.
    I'm not saying our fans should start throwing fire works but I'd like to see some anger so maybe in 4 years when we have Euro games in Ireland we can put it up to sides like Belgium!

We need a clear out at the FAI. We were lucky to qualify and the talent is drying up in this country. We still haven't set up foundations to help build youngsters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The singing just annoys me, it's not being great fans, it's "better living through denial".

They have spent a couple of grand to go over to a soccer tournament to support their team for two weeks. They have taken annual leave and want to enjoy their time there. They are passionate supporters and clearly aere well aware what is going on, but if they have the ability to keep their spirits up and not get on the players backs let them at it. Essentially, its just a game and you have to respect them if they want to enjoy their time there after investing so much in it.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    It's over George,stop deluding yourself and insulting the intelligence of the Irish fans.

Beat Italy and we will go through.

Obviously that's highly unlikely but there's still faintest of hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

It's all starts at home, we need more people going to matches and the FAI need restructuring. Its as simple as that.

Alot of armchair fans on here watching foreign leagues week in, week out and yet won't make the trip to their local team.

Says it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Depressing. We were always perfect foil for Belgium in that we'd stand off them and allow them to control the game.

We have no ambition under O'Neill, it really is sad to see

That McGregor parody flag "We're not here to takeover, we're just here to take part"

Sums up the situation

• Advertisement
Advertisement