Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group E - Belgium vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE & ITV

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I think this is Irelands strongest team since 2002/2003 but I am really not optimistic. I expect be outclassed, outran, outmuscled and just dominated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Come on Ireland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Mec27 wrote: »
    I think this is Irelands strongest team since 2002/2003 but I am really not optimistic. I expect be outclassed, outran, outmuscled and just dominated.

Me too. We'll be living off scraps but this Belgium team are less than the sum of their parts and may not get much end product for their possession. A draw would be a good result and gives us a chance of getting through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Where did you get the teams usually not out until an hour before kick off.

they were leaked before 11am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Team announced. All the same except Ward in for Walters.

Ireland team: Randolph, Coleman, O'Shea, Clark, Ward, Whelan, McCarthy, Hendrick, Brady, Hoolahan, Long.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Such a shame Alan Judge is injured he'd have had a great chance of starting today with Walters being out.

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Ireland team: Randolph, Coleman, O'Shea, Clark, Ward, Whelan, McCarthy, Hendrick, Brady, Hoolahan, Long.

That will do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I feel a 1-0 win with our goal coming off a set piece.

• Advertisement

Is it just me that would have Keogh in the team instead of Clark?

Especially as he started a lot of the qualifying campaign

FatherTed wrote: »
    I feel a 1-0 win with our goal coming off a set piece.

Have to remember that Belgium conceded 2 against Norway

Our team just lacks a bit of magic and a bit of youth, it is alright imo, players like Hendrick and Randolph could be playing for big sides outside the main European leagues, it is just someone like Hendrick can get more money playing for Derby than he could for some mid ranked European team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Courtois; Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Meunier; Witsel, Dembélé; Hazard, De Bruyne Carrasco; Lukaku.

Quite happy with that team. De Bruyne as a 10 and Hazard/Carrasco on the wings.

Still nervous though, Ireland might not be as stacked in midfield but can still be dangerous going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Right call I think.

I don't see what Ireland are going to be better at, they seem like better athletes, bigger and faster than our players, and it is not like we have the Barcelona touch to compensate for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I have a feeling this will be another 1-1 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Belgium have their actual best attacking 4 starting today.

Wilmots would have to listen to reason in time for today, wouldn't he?

Surely betting against Ireland, no matter how likely Belgium are to win, is just a bit a bit sad!. Are people that hung up for a few quid that they think a few euro will mean they wont be that disappointed if we lose! Put it on Morning Suit at 11/10 in the 1.35 at Redcar! It shouldnt lose and you'll have your pints for the day.

There are hundreds of good bets all day that will give you much more profit than backing against your own team! I'd also prefer to enjoy winning from a gamble than just a mere "ah sure, at least i won twenty quid after Fellaini comes on and heads in a 92nd minute winner"!

I just find it so irritating when fans back against their own team ! I am sure there is plenty that disagree though so I am not having a go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ward at left back is a huge liability .Can see the Belgians targeting him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mec27 wrote: »
    I don't see what Ireland are going to be better at, they seem like better athletes, bigger and faster than our players, and it is not like we have the Barcelona touch to compensate for that.

Because football works exactly like that :pac:

• Advertisement

Ireland XI - Stephen Ward gets the nod. Randolph, Coleman, O'Shea, Clark, Ward, Whelan, McCarthy, Hendrick, Brady, Hoolahan, Long.

thought so.

Surely betting against Ireland, no matter how likely Belgium are to win, is just a bit a bit sad!. Are people that hung up for a few quid that they think a few euro will mean they wont be that disappointed if we lose! Put it on Morning Suit at 11/10 in the 1.35 at Redcar! It shouldnt lose and you'll have your pints for the day.

There are hundreds of good bets all day that will give you much more profit than backing against your own team! I'd also prefer to enjoy winning from a gamble than just a mere "ah sure, at least i won twenty quid after Fellaini comes on and heads in a 92nd minute winner"!

I just find it so irritating when fans back against their own team ! I am sure there is plenty that disagree though so I am not having a go!

Yeah for endemic gamblers yeah but I'm betting today just because I want to ease the pain a little if we lose. I gamble like once a year.

Ward at left back is a huge liability .Can see the Belgians targeting him .

No he isn't. He is well capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

why? it wont affect the result, so what's the issue?

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Team announced. All the same except Ward in for Walters.

Looks like we are packing the midfield
    Need a good game out of Whelan
    Needs to break up that play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No he isn't. He is well capable.

You have to be having a laugh. He isn't a good left back.. not by any standards and certainly not by International standards... a liability especially at this level...

why? it wont affect the result, so what's the issue?

Thats not what i am implying at all. I said exactly why in the post! And I dont want a war of words on the topic so not going to say anything more! Enjoy your twenty quid if we lose!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FFS RTE turn down the background music!

Strumms wrote: »
    You have to be having a laugh. He isn't a good left back.. not by any standards and certainly not by International standards... a liability especially at this level...

I never said as such. You suggested he was a HUGE liability! Hyperbole at its finest! Sadly we forgot to call up all our brilliant left backs. He has been in great form in a title winning team. He also has improved a lot in last couple of years for Ireland.
    Our full backs wont get a chance to go forward like other games so Brady at left back wouldnt have had the same impact. There will be a lot more backtracking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Why does Dunphy rate James McClean so high. Never really performed good for Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    FFS RTE turn down the background music!

Absolutely!! Jaysus..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Me - "Awh yes Carrasco is playing!".

30 seconds later, "Wait **** Carrasco is playing!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

God, i'm terrified now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Hopefully Carrasco has an off day as I wouldn't rate Ward at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Ward playing doesn't fill me with confidence but if they go out and play with the same confidence and attacking attitude as the Sweden game, we're in with a shout.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Why does Dunphy rate James McClean so high. Never really performed good for Ireland

Cos he gives absolutely everything (sometimes too much). He can beat a player. He gets to the byline and has a decent cross. He is commited in defence.

Jesus, Clark could easily have had a hattrick!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Cos he gives absolutely everything (sometimes too much). He can beat a player. He gets to the byline and has a decent cross. He is commited in defence.

I think the best thing you can say about McClean is he works hard and wins corners.

Don't think he is that great at 1 on 1's or putting in good crosses

Never get tired of seeing that Hendrick run against Georgia. Fantastic feet

• Advertisement

I never said as such. You suggested he was a HUGE liability! Hyperbole at its finest! Sadly we forgot to call up all our brilliant left backs. He has been in great form in a title winning team. He also has improved a lot in last couple of years for Ireland.
    Our full backs wont get a chance to go forward like other games so Brady at left back wouldnt have had the same impact. There will be a lot more backtracking.

I never said he was a HUGE liability. Don't misquote me, go back and read my post. I believe he is a liability as I said. That has been proven in the past. Whether that is HUGE or otherwise is irrelevant.

It's not his ability to go forward that I have an issue with but his positional sense is often poor and if he gets isolated one on one he is often done for pace. He is not a natural defender.

I hope he has the game of his life and I am proved wrong but I have watched enough of him going back to when I used to go see him at Dollymount when he was played in his natural position and he excelled up to present day where he is no more than a very average defender at best... to suggest otherwise shows a lack of understanding of the game to be honest.

Strumms wrote: »
    I never said he was a HUGE liability. Don't misquote me, go back and read my post. I believe he is a liability as I said. That has been proven in the past. Whether that is HUGE or otherwise is irrelevant.

It's not his ability to go forward that I have an issue with but his positional sense is often poor and if he gets isolated one on one he is often done for pace. He is not a natural defender.

I hope he has the game of his life and I am proved wrong but I have watched enough of him going back to when I used to go see him at Dollymount when he was played in his natural position and he excelled up to present day where he is no more than a very average defender at best... to suggest otherwise shows a lack of understanding of the game to be honest.

Sorry, the first poster did, I just assumed I was conversing with same poster! Thats who I was correcting. Then you replied so I didnt look back to previous page to see if it was the same poster!! Pretty standard!

I'd say they will mark the shîte out of Hoolahan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Never get tired of seeing that Hendrick run against Georgia. Fantastic feet

I think he's ready for the Prem if a team takes the punt

Unearthly wrote: »
    I think he's ready for the Prem if a team takes the punt

He is well ready! No punt about it! He would get into 40-50% of the first 11s at present.
    I am sure he will want to step up also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭dasdog

Feels strangely like the game against Cameroon, 2002.

• Advertisement

Sorry, the first poster did, I just assumed I was conversing with same poster! Thats who I was correcting. Then you replied so I didnt look back to previous page to see if it was the same poster!! Pretty standard!

It's not pretty standard... if it was standard it would be like an asylum with people not knowing who they were talking to or quoting or what the **** was going on... but it's like an asylum anyway so it probably doesn't matter...

Anyway COYBIG ! Ward to score the winner... 😛

just had my pre match shower, if we win im on a flight to paris tonight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Evens on Belgium a veritable gift from the gambling gods

Mortgage job

Lump job

dasdog wrote: »
    Feels strangely like the game against Cameroon, 2002.

Nah, game against Cameroon was all "Roy Keane this, Roy Keane that". It was also at 7/8am on a Saturday morning!! I remember working as a very young lad in a car wash and running in and out checking the score, doing a half arsed job on any car that came in, and not feeling any guilt because they are sitting in a carwash on a Saturday morning while the world cup is going on!!

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Evens on Belgium a veritable gift from the gambling gods

Mortgage job

Lump job

Haha. Stupid bet, I hope you lose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement