Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group E - Belgium vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE & ITV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just back from the pub after watching.Firstly I want to say that the referee gave us no break all game long. Secondly the 2nd goal for belgium was the only goal that didnt come from an irish error. I mean who the **** was the guy that went to ground so quick for their third?You got to stay on your feet! Thirdly it shows just how bang average we are that this Belgian team bossed us, now I know some people will say they are second in the world but come off it, they are seriously seriously average and can see them getting done in badly later on in the tournament. However they did deserve their victory today against an absolute ****e side. So where does that leave ourselves? Well early plane home which is probably a good thing as we could be embarrassed later on. We need to restructure the way we play soccer here in ireland, it needs to be drilled in to kids to keep the ball on the floor no matter what and work at short short passes and to be pacient. We need to look towards continental football and not playing a ****ty premier league style. Local clubs need to stop picking the young lads who are gaa or rugby players just because they are fast and strong, I saw this happenyself when I played school boy. I dont know how this revolution in our playing could be done to be fair, pay a **** load for spanish coaches, maybe, or send our coaches to spain or germany to learn off them, maybe all the skill is being coached out of our players in english academies? I dont know the solution lads but something has to be done as watching ireland can be quite painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

To produce a better standard of player in this country, junior soccer needs to be demilitarized and reformed. Get rid of the Mourinho wannabes with their barking orders and get people who will nurture love of the game from early on. Football is an art and children need to be given a canvas. Dominic Foley said it correctly when he pointed out that there could be 30 kids to 1 football with his local club.

I spent time in Egypt growing up and played football there. I still remember the first time I watched an 'organised' football match in Ireland and it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. Fair enough, I played in the youth teams of a professional football club with professional coaches, so I would not expect things to be as organised, but it was strange to watch. Even back then as a kid I looked at it and said "this isn't right...".

It was an U12s game. There was absolutely no structure and you had 22 kids playing on a full size pitch ALL chasing the ball around. If the ball was near a corner flag, there was 10+ kids in that part of the pitch trying to win it. The forward was the biggest player on the team and the ball was just hoofed forward. Anytime a defender had the ball, I still remember hearing the parents/coach shout to 'get it clear' immediately.

This stuff is still happening today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Mec27 wrote: »
    Ireland are **** but not that ****, we played how ****ing San Marino would against a top team, not a team that has 11 players playing in two big European professional leagues.

It really was San Marino level stuff, attacking from a corner 10 minutes in and Robbie Brady time wasting. I'd swear him and Hoolahan were about to play it short and bring it into the corner at one point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Well they will be in the next round. I think they have a chance vs Germany of a draw anyway, certainly more of a chance than us against Italy

I couldnt see us beating Ukraine like they did either

The most ridiculous drivel I've ever read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Just back from the pub after watching.Firstly I want to say that the referee gave us no break all game long. Secondly the 2nd goal for belgium was the only goal that didnt come from an irish error. I mean who the **** was the guy that went to ground so quick for their third?You got to stay on your feet! Thirdly it shows just how bang average we are that this Belgian team bossed us, now I know some people will say they are second in the world but come off it, they are seriously seriously average and can see them getting done in badly later on in the tournament. However they did deserve their victory today against an absolute ****e side. So where does that leave ourselves? Well early plane home which is probably a good thing as we could be embarrassed later on. We need to restructure the way we play soccer here in ireland, it needs to be drilled in to kids to keep the ball on the floor no matter what and work at short short passes and to be pacient. We need to look towards continental football and not playing a ****ty premier league style. Local clubs need to stop picking the young lads who are gaa or rugby players just because they are fast and strong, I saw this happenyself when I played school boy. I dont know how this revolution in our playing could be done to be fair, pay a **** load for spanish coaches, maybe, or send our coaches to spain or germany to learn off them, maybe all the skill is being coached out of our players in english academies? I dont know the solution lads but something has to be done as watching ireland can be quite painful.

English football moved on and we didn't adapt, we missed the boat baby, we are moving further to the back of the bus in terms of European soccer, this could be the last time we have the chance to embarrass ourselves in a majour tournament.

I mean who the **** was the guy that went to ground so quick for their third?You got to stay on your feet! Thirdly it shows just how bang average we are that this Belgian team bossed us, now I know some people will say they are second in the world but come off it, they are seriously seriously average and can see them getting done in badly later on in the tournament. However they did deserve their victory today against an absolute ****e side. So where does that leave ourselves? Well early plane home which is probably a good thing as we could be embarrassed later on.

Ciaran Clark! I fully agree with the rest, according to some on here Belgium are amazing and total football reincarnate. We cannot compete with mid table Premier League players. I agree they are bang average, Italy exposed them. We deserved nothing today and would be better off going home now than embarrassing ourselves further, it was Andorra level stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Can someone please explain this?

We should have had a penalty.

I'm not saying we would have won but it should have been maybe 1-0 to us.

English football moved on and we didn't adapt, we missed the boat baby, we are moving further to the back of the bus in terms of European soccer, this could be the last time we have the chance to embarrass ourselves in a majour tournament.

I know man, I was watching Spain last night and thinking to myself what I wouldnt do to have an Iniesta. But I think its pie in the sky and I will never see it in my time, and Im only 25!

Irish_rat wrote: »

I wouldnt back us to beat Ukraine 2-0 the way we played today, nothing to say otherwise. N Ireland have a decent chance of a point against Germany the way both sides are playing. Ukraine posed Germany problems.

The sad fact is a bunch of limited journeyman in Northern Ireland are a better team than us. Better manager, better tactics, better attitude, better style of play. We are at our lowest ebb since Cyprus under Staunton. And yet people have their heads in the sand acting like Belgium are Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

JustTheOne wrote: »

Need to ask the ref that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

???

If you mean the formation possibly, but the style if play was as negative as we are likely to see in this tournament

And sadly the memory of us time wasting 10 minutes into the match will live long in the memory. Those instructions clearly came from management as several players done so.

It was very sad to see tbh. Im not sure if even Andorra or San Marino would done so, I know local Sunday league teams who wouldnt entertain doing that even if they were to be beaten 10-0 .It sends out the wrong message from the start.

We came to survive and got what we deserved.

And in the first 45 minutes, Ireland did exactly that. The team was defensively well-organized and doing a bit of gamesmanship. When they pushed on a little bit in the second, this allowed Belgium more space for a goal, and then even more so when the goal really forced Ireland to go looking for something, which they were duly punished for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Need to ask the ref that

Just that noone seems to be making a deal out of it.

As I said we probably would have still lost but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Have another look!

I think the point is that the fans have to demand more and not just settle for a piss-up and a sing song. The fans need to put pressure on Delaney and the FAI to change things and improve things from the bottom up in this country.

Personally I think it's a bit of a forlorn hope because the majority of the people at the game today don't really care. They're on their summer holidays, they're out to enjoy themselves and good luck to them. They'll come back and go back to work, continue to support their Premiership teams from a distance and the Ireland jersey will go back into storage until we have a bit play-off game or one of the world's bigger teams comes to Dublin for a qualifier.

They won't be there to support our domestic game or to put pressure on and demand better from the FAI.

Fair point and maybe there is something in it but the way we set out to play I'm actually shocked that anyone would cross the road to look at us let alone spends hundreds of Euros to go to another country

The so called best fans in the world were booing the team off the field in the aviva not so long ago. Its probably too convenient to blame the fans, the fans expectations will change with better football and not the other way round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I know man, I was watching Spain last night and thinking to myself what I wouldnt do to have an Iniesta. But I think its pie in the sky and I will never see it in my time, and Im only 25!

An Iniesta would be destroyed in Ireland. He'd be too small for the underage hoofball we have in this country. The coaches wouldn't play him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Howard Webb said on ITV that it was a definite penalty. The same ref sent off Nani for a similar offense recently. Very incompetent and inconsistent refereeing.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    An Iniesta would be destroyed in Ireland. He'd be too small for the underage hoofball we have in this country. The coaches wouldn't play him.

This times one million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

We are a relatively small country and our national sports are GAA, hurling and even rugby .

As much as we love soccer, we are at a massive disadvantage to other countries if we want to "build the grassroots" and with GAA effectively being all but a professional sport now, vast majority of youngsters are always going to choose that set up rather than schoolboy soccer which has slowly degraded over the years.
    The FAI cannot compete with the GAA on a structural basis.

It is embedded in our culture and has a fantastic system in that club/county structure. Rivalries and local attachments and "pride of the parish"

Communities are always going to support GAA projects over soccer, as are schools, the Government etc. Local Media also. Belgium or Germany didnt have to compete with other rival sports when restructuring their academies.

Pitches, coaches, even things like nets for goals, balls, small things.

People give out about the Eircom League and why it isnt funded, why people dont visit it more or get attached to it. I live in a town where the nearest Eircom league club is an hour and a half drive away! Loads of others are in the same boat! There just isnt that attachment to it therefore and unless FAI went all out and developed another 6 to 10 large infrastructured clubs spread around the country, give them incremental set budgets, develop some sort of system which levels the playing field of the clubs in the league. Do a Scotland league and split the league in the final couple of months of the season between top half and bottom half.

This will attract competitiveness, attract youngsters etc.

More has to be done but with GAA and rugby really attracting 90% of youngsters as their main sport, the FAI are fighting a losing battle and it doesnt bode well for the future, as in what sort of pool of players we can attract. We had some lucky periods in late 80s and 90s when some fine players came about at the same time, many of them inherited from another country.
    Sport is in our blood as a country so we naturally are going to have that added bit of character but we are limited also.

We can all blame Delaney till the cows come home and I also want some change but there isnt much more, relatively speaking, another person can do from my perspective to vastly change the trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Knw it was going to be a bad day

On the plane home to Dublin a child screamed the place out and then The bus took 45 mins to get to Heston station and I missed the first half

We won't play as bad again but Italy will win I think, we will prob draw 0-0 and Sweden will beat Belgium

Bit iffy about the fans singing when we're getting beaten and think it's a bit embarrassing but can see 2 sides to it (these fans payed there money to go, they can do what they want)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its Uefa ,and the refs will always favour the bigger teams.
    That ref gave us absolutely nothing today.

Its nonsense having a Turkish ref for a Belgian match ,there are over 250k Turks in Belgium and the Belgian people are descended from old Turkish tribes.

Incidentally the ref is the same guy who harshly sent off Nani for Man Utd vs Real Madrid a few years back but gave nothing today for a much worse incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yes decisions like that change games, it was a horrendous one. For all the possession they had first half they had one good chance

Dreadful decision, not why we lost, but who knows

We are a relatively small country and our national sports are GAA, hurling and even rugby .

As much as we love soccer, we are at a massive disadvantage to other countries if we want to "build the grassroots" and with GAA effectively being all but a professional sport now, vast majority of youngsters are always going to choose that set up rather than schoolboy soccer which has slowly degraded over the years.

It is embedded in our culture and has a fantastic system in that club/county structure. Rivalries and local attachments and "pride of the parish"

Communities are always going to support GAA projects over soccer, as are schools, the Government etc. Local Media also. Belgium or Germany didnt have to compete with other rival sports when restructuring their academies.

People give out about the Eircom League and why it isnt funded, why people dont visit it more or get attached to it. I live in a town where the nearest Eircom league club is an hour and a half drive away! Loads of others are in the same boat! There just isnt that attachment to it therefore and unless FAI went all out and developed another 6 to 10 large infrastructured clubs spread around the country, give them incremental set budgets, develop some sort of system which levels the playing field of the clubs in the league. Do a Scotland league and split the league in the final couple of months of the season between top half and bottom half.

More has to be done but with GAA and rugby really attracting 90% of youngsters as their main sport, the FAI are fighting a losing battle and it doesnt bode well for the future, as in what sort of pool of players we can attract. We had some lucky periods in late 80s and 90s when some fine players came about at the same time, many of them inherited from another country.
    Sport is in our blood as a country so we naturally are going to have that added bit of character but we are limited also.

We can all blame Delaney till the cows come home and I also want some change but there isnt much more, relatively speaking, another person can do from my perspective to vastly change the trend.

We can't blame Delaney for everything but what justifies his absurd salary?

I do agree with the majority of your post but I am sure the FAI and delaney can do more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We won't play as bad again but Italy will win I think, we will prob draw 0-0 and Sweden will beat Belgium

I'll go apoplectic if Belgium lose to Sweden after the tonking they just handed us!

There is no point going to a tournament and putting on a display like that, that was horrible, san marino level ****ness, it couldn't have been easier for Belgium. If it was any other country we'd be saying how they didn't look bothered.

• Advertisement

There is no point going to a tournament and putting on a display like that, that was horrible, san marino level ****ness, it couldn't have been easier for Belgium.

Bad and all as Ireland were if the ref had done his job and awarded the penalty the outcome would have been completely different.
    Belgium would have been 1-0 down and their brittle temperament would have come to the fore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Mahony0509 wrote: »

Howard Webb said on ITV that it was a definite penalty. The same ref sent off Nani for a similar offense recently. Very incompetent and inconsistent refereeing.

In the last Euro he was biased against Nani when Portugal played Spain. He didn't call clear fouls on him and when Nani was clear through on goal he called the play back for a foul on Nani. He also seems to be biased against English clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

Bit iffy about the fans singing when we're getting beaten and think it's a bit embarrassing but can see 2 sides to it (these fans payed there money to go, they can do what they want)

In seriousness, the lamenting of fans singing in the face of defeat is ridiculous. They could be doing infinitely worse, as certain other nations' fans have proved over the years. So what if it's 'needy'? Would take that over hateful and violent every day.

We can't blame Delaney for everything but what justifies his absurd salary?

that is entirely different to what I want to talk about!!! I want to talk about soccer, not corporate politics! I work for a public sector body and interact with these board members everyday and see that nothing justifies what they earn nor their future pensions. Most of them are glorified admin staff with a nice title! And even the admin staff work harder.
    So I know exactly why Delaney gets paid and I cant justify it either and I urge change in the FAI but many people have actually applauded Delaney to be fair to him, people with a better knowledge than me of the goings on in Merrion Square.

But as I said, the next successor to Delaney will push for the same amount by way of precedent. Its corporate politics and happens in every company, really.

Id prefer to discuss the practical barriers facing the development of a new system of soccer in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Yes decisions like that change games, it was a horrendous one. For all the possession they had first half they had one good chance

Dreadful decision, not why we lost, but who knows
    100% penalty. To add insult to injury the ref must stop the game immediately when a player goes down holding his head, he didn't and they went straight down to the other end ....
    Dembele's tackle on Hoolohan in the first half could easily have been a straight red, he didn't even get yellow, it was a very nasty tackle from behind.

• Advertisement

I do agree with the majority of your post but I am sure the FAI and delaney can do more.

we need to discuss ideas though? Ive put forward some basic ones, nothing absurd, what would you, for example, propose they can do?

Irish_rat wrote: »

I wouldnt back us to beat Ukraine 2-0 the way we played today, nothing to say otherwise. N Ireland have a decent chance of a point against Germany the way both sides are playing. Ukraine posed Germany problems.

The sad fact is a bunch of limited journeyman in Northern Ireland are a better team than us. Better manager, better tactics, better attitude, better style of play. We are at our lowest ebb since Cyprus under Staunton. And yet people have their heads in the sand acting like Belgium are Spain

How good are Spain? They were embarrassed in the last World Cup, their second goal against Turkey was a gift and the third was offside.

764dak wrote: »
    How good are Spain? They were embarrassed in the last World Cup, their second goal against Turkey was a gift and the third was offside.

Spain are a much better side than Belgium

How many Spanish youth coaches are in Northern Europe? How many Northern European coaches can even go to Spain to learn? Premier League teams would have plenty foreign youth coavhes if they could get them.

Its Uefa ,and the refs will always favour the bigger teams.
    That ref gave us absolutely nothing today.

Its nonsense having a Turkish ref for a Belgian match ,there are over 250k Turks in Belgium and the Belgian people are descended from old Turkish tribes.

Incidentally the ref is the same guy who harshly sent off Nani for Man Utd vs Real Madrid a few years back but gave nothing today for a much worse incident.

Kane/Undertaker would have been proud of it

Look at Iceland today, another side with nowhere near the resources or players we have going out against the odds with a positive ambitious attitude and really having a go. And getting their rewards like Northern Ireland.

At least they use the players they have in the best manner most of our team are Premier League players, as are Belgiums and we went out like San Marino vs Spain. Their fans can be proud to support them they go out with the right positive mindset. We came with negativity, didnt come to win and showed no positivity or ambition. Lets call a spade a spade we got what we deserved and will go out with a whimper in humiliating fashion like 2012.

Look at Iceland today, another side with nowhere near the resources or players we have going out against the odds with a positive ambitious attitude and really having a go. And getting their rewards like Northern Ireland.

At least they use the players they have in the best manner most of our team are Premier League players, as are Belgiums and we went out like San Marino vs Spain. Their fans can be proud to support them they go out with the right positive mindset. We came with negativity, didnt come to win and showed no positivity or ambition. Lets call a spade a spade we got what we deserved and will go out with a whimper in humiliating fashion like 2012.

Iceland were almost as defensive as we were against Portugal in the first game

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Knw it was going to be a bad day

Sweden will beat Belgium

How'd ya figure that?

Buuu buuuut muh GAA muh rugby muh small population.

Its ****ing over for irish football, a loser mentality runs through the core.

Once the last generation is gone(Keane,O'Shea and to a far lesser extent Hoolihan) the new generation advancing in years and seemingly no youth coming in, we'll prob have to hit rock bottom and it will be much worse than Staunton's reign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Was a little suprised how passive Roy was on the bench. I thought he, of all people, would be going into convulsions during that second half. But he seemed thoroughly resigned - as if he half expected it.

• Advertisement

Buuu buuuut muh GAA muh rugby muh small population.

Its ****ing over for irish football, a loser mentality runs through the core.

I can't help but laugh at the irony of this statement!!!

764dak wrote: »
    Spain are not near as good as they were, but they are certainly a class above Belgium. Honestly we are probably better off out then facing them in the last 16, they would have toyed with us once again

A team who never give the ball away vs a team who cant wait to give the ball away.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Kane/Undertaker would have been proud of it

Or even Diesel

6932KevinNash4.jpg

Was a little suprised how passive Roy was on the bench. I thought he, of all people, would be going into convulsions during that second half. But he seemed thoroughly resigned - as if he half expected it.

Its funny i was listening to one of second captains soundbites about Keane today "loser mentality" etc. and thought this is how i would sum up Ireland under Keane and O'Neill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I don't think it would make any difference.You shouldn't need to be motivated to play in a game like that.

I'd say Keane has barely any impact on anything in the first place.

Or even Diesel

6932KevinNash4.jpg

That man could Big Boot

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Or even Diesel

6932KevinNash4.jpg
    Test had the best big boot to be fair :)

Management career has humbled him entirely. And not necessarily in a manner that might make him a positive influence in these situations. He just seems to be going through the motions with this handy Irish number he has.

I think the irony of his degrading of Mick McCarthy has come back to haunt him a lot.

Comprehensive win for the Azzurri in Lille, 2-0, goodbye Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We did have a go.

If Wes didn't butcher the 3 on 2, or Hendrick could pass a ball, or our midfield could pick out any of Long''s countless great runs, or we get the penalty for the double kick to the head, then we're having a different conversation.

We tried. Just because we lost, doesn't mean we didn't try. That's just lazy, result based analysis.

Advertisement