Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group E - Belgium vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE & ITV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There was a clear change at half time. We did move forward early in second half and paid price straight away. Should of stuck with way we were playing , but improve when we win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

SlickRic wrote: »
    We did have a go.

If Wes didn't butcher the 3 on 2, or Hendrick could pass a ball, or our midfield could pick out any of Long''s countless great runs, or we get the penalty for the double kick to the head, then we're having a different conversation.

We tried. Just because we lost, doesn't mean we didn't try. That's just lazy, result based analysis.

Well said, some awful hindsight heroes on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I don't think it would make any difference.You shouldn't need to be motivated to play in a game like that.

I'd say Keane has barely any impact on anything in the first place.

I agree completely. But you know it's bad when Roy can't even manage an expletive filled rant from the sideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Jaysus lads! What age are you? We don't have the players! Don't you get this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

We did have a go.

The players tried but that team selection was not what I'd call having a go.

Remember when the players said **** it against France and we nearly beat them in the famous Henry hand ball game? Thats what I'd call having a go. Playing two proper wingers and two strikers. I hope to god we go into the Italy game with the same attitude and actually have a proper go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

most of our team are Premier League players, as are Belgiums and we went out like San Marino vs Spain.

Only 12 of our squad play for a PL side. 3 of them were relegated this season. Only 4 played for a team that finished in the top 10, and one of those is Darren Randoph who only played 6 games. None of the PL players played European football last season, and unless they move club none will play European football next year.

I get you're upset with the performance but there is no equivalence between the resources the Belgians and the Irish have. The root problem of the team performance today is not the setup, the tactics or the player selection, its the lack of youth development in the last 10-15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Morrison J wrote: »
    The players tried but that team selection was not what I'd call having a go.

Remember when the players said **** it against France and we nearly beat them in the famous Henry hand ball game? Thats what I'd call having a go. Playing two proper wingers and two strikers. I hope to god we go into the Italy game with the same attitude and actually have a proper go.

But if we went in with a more attacking approach and got hammered people would be criticising the manager for being naive.

We don't have good enough players sadly.

Most of our players play in the bottom half of the premier league and championship, most of Belgiums players players play in club teams who compete in european competition .

I would say only Seamus Coleman (and maybe he wouldn't) of our team would get in Belgiums team.

The result is no more a surprise than a champions league calibre premier league team comfortably beating a relegation candidate.

Remember when the players said **** it against France and we nearly beat them in the famous Henry hand ball game?

Oh here we go again! Better team and you can include the team that drew against the USSR in 1988 because we heard the same ****e back then about a team abandoning the managers instructions. Grasping at straws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Well said, some awful hindsight heroes on here

Hindsight heroes? People were saying this before the match. We can and should expect than the crap we seen today. There is no defending time wasting ten minutes in, that set the tone and it was obvious at Half Time to many what was coming.

We have Premier League level players our mindset was San Marino stuff.

And stubborn O Neill should have learned lessons vs Sweden, he will probably make no changes vs Italy either. Hes yesterdays man and yet hes got a new contract. This is worse than anything under Trap, and yet Trap took dogs abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Oh here we go again! Better team and you can include the team that drew against the USSR in 1988 because we heard the same ****e back then about a team abandoning the managers instructions. Grasping at straws.

So we'll pretend that playing an isolated Shane Long up front, a central midfielder in Hendrick on the wing and Robbie Brady basically in a wing back role protecting Ward as having a go then. Fine.

We didn't have a go today. Never did I say that playing a more attack minded team would've given us a better chance of winning but we were set up defensively as **** today. Clear as day to see. If we go into the Italy game in the same fashion it'll be a big mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

We still have a bit of hope lads. Get a few irish fans to dress as belgians for their next game and set off a few flares. Gets them disqualified and we sail on through to the next round with a big win against Italy.

Hindsight heroes? People were saying this before the match. We can and should expect than the crap we seen today. There is no defending time wasting ten minutes in, that set the tone and it was obvious at Half Time to many what was coming.

And stubborn O Neill should have learned lessons vs Sweden, he will probably make no changes vs Italy either. Hes yesterdays man and yet hes got a new contract. This is worse than anything under Trap, and yet Trap took dogs abuse

I have never liked O'Neill (and Keane) but we did restrict them in the first half and the players when presented with chances on the break didnt take them. Wes and Hendrick in particular. This is becasue we just dont have the players. We didnt have them before and we still dont have them.

If we went at Belgium what happened in the second half would just have happened earlier.

This has been the tournament for narrow defensive football so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Most of them are playing for bottom-half Premier League sides. The majority of Belgium's players play for top-half Premier League sides. There is a gulf in quality.

This was like the equivalent of watching Man City take on Stoke in which City run out 3-0 winners. You wouldn't be surprised by that scoreline in the Premier League so why are you surprised by it today?

We were outclassed. We need to take it on the chin and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Trap was bloody awful, we wouldn't be in Euro 2016 if he was in charge. O'Neil is doing the best he can with a very bad selection of players. Today a few players let him down, McCarthy and Clark helped Belgium to two goals, Whelan just isint up to the standard against world class players.

Things we already know. Its the quality coming through that's the problem, not trying to make world beaters out of average championship and lower end premier league players.

I've no problem with the current management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Need some of our players to take chances in non-British leagues.

So we'll pretend that playing an isolated Shane Long up front, a central midfielder in Hendrick on the wing and Robbie Brady basically in a wing back role protecting Ward as having a go then. Fine.

We didn't have a go today. Never did I say that playing a more attack minded team would've given us a better chance of winning but we were set up defensively as **** today. Clear as day to see. If we go into the Italy game in the same fashion it'll be a big mistake.

I really don't see why you quoted me there. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

The better team won. Never expected to get anything from Belgium anyway. At least we know we need to beat Italy. Hopefully we can get them on an off day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Prufrock wrote: »
    The better team won. Never expected to get anything from Belgium anyway. At least we know we need to beat Italy. Hopefully we can get them on an off day.

Even if they are on an off day, Italy will have enough ability, composure and professionalism to win relatively comfortable.

This was like the equivalent of watching Man City take on Stoke in which City run out 3-0 winners. You wouldn't be surprised by that scoreline in the Premier League so why are you surprised by it today?

It was not the defeat but the manner of the defeat. We hadnt a hope being set up like that and I feel we really didnt do ourselves justice at all.

If that performance is now deemed acceptable or anywhere near, then the future is looking very bleak indeed. And I dont think Stoke would have went down like that, they would have better organised for starters and had a system in place, created chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Dreadful stuff today, well beaten and totally outclassed. Long must be so frustrated the way he is isolated up front on his own with bad balls being launched at him all throughout. We don't have the players for these tournaments unfortunately. Seeing Robbie Keane and McGeady coming on just sums up the issue.

I wouldn't be too hard on the management, there was no way we were going to beat the Belgians playing football and we did a reasonable job of containing them. The goals were down to individual errors and lack of application. Clark cannot start vs Italy, you'd drop Mccarthy as well but for the lack of alternatives. Walters is a massive loss as he would have been an ideal outlet in a game like today's and will run all day. I can't see anything better than a hard fought draw against the Italians who will want to be sure of winning the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

We did have a go.

If Wes didn't butcher the 3 on 2, or Hendrick could pass a ball, or our midfield could pick out any of Long''s countless great runs, or we get the penalty for the double kick to the head, then we're having a different conversation.

We tried. Just because we lost, doesn't mean we didn't try. That's just lazy, result based analysis.

I'd agree that of course we tried, but I'm not sure on saying that we had a go. Just because our centre forward made a lot of runs doesn't mean that more accurate long ball means we would have got more out of the game, the very nature of the balls were always going to have alow accuracy from the distance the ball kept travelling. The gulf between Long and the midfield was cavernous at times, after a while Hoolahan stopped getting up to support him because he knew the ball was coming right back at the midfield.

Sand wrote: »
    Only 12 of our squad play for a PL side. 3 of them were relegated this season. Only 4 played for a team that finished in the top 10, and one of those is Darren Randoph who only played 6 games. None of the PL players played European football last season, and unless they move club none will play European football next year.

I get you're upset with the performance but there is no equivalence between the resources the Belgians and the Irish have. The root problem of the team performance today is not the setup, the tactics or the player selection, its the lack of youth development in the last 10-15 years.

I find it very sad the excuses about resources and other stuff like hyping average Belgium up coming from our fans.What resources do Iceland, Hungary, N Ireland have? N Ireland barely have players in the Championship nevermind Europe. Doubt they would have embarrassed themselves like that today. You can take about relegations etc but the fact is most of our starting players were Premier League players this year, like Belgium who are filled with Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea players.

And I accept Belgium are on another level to us I dont think anybodys disputing that, but we have players at our disposal to do alot better than that today. Even if we lost we could have showed ambition, not full blown negativity. We embarrassed ourselves.

James McCarthy is an Everton regular, he is playing at a higher level than many nations can call on. I dont know whats gone wrong with him but hes been appalling in 2 matches and really for quite a while, I wanted Meyler in today, surely McCarthy will be dropped now. O'Neill is too stubborn to admit his failings. McCarthy should be doing a whole lot better as should the whole set up.

If today is acceptable its curtains for Irish football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's annoying the way, in a bad Irish loss, the whole grass roots system gets put on trial. If you're not happy with that, that should be an ongoing debate because it's an ongoing issue. I think people are wrong to think that any amount of Irish underperformance is ever going to affect change because Ireland has simply never been used to the levels of success that bigger European nations have. The Irish team has already met its brief in qualifying for the tournament. That has always been the aim of the FAI. Our level for an inquest is significantly lower than for other European nations. If Ireland start finishing groups in 5th or 6th place on the regular then you may start seeing real pushes for change in the country's footballing coaching and underage structure.

I find it very sad the excuses about resources and other stuff like hyping average Belgium up coming from our fans.What resources do Iceland, Hungary, N Ireland have? N Ireland barely have players in the Championship nevermind Europe. Doubt they would have embarrassed themselves like that today. You can take about relegations etc but the fact is most of our starting players were Premier League players this year, like Belgium who are filled with Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea players.

And I accept Belgium are on another level to us I dont think anybodys disputing that, but we have players at our disposal to do alot better than that today. Even if we lost we could have showed ambition, not full blown negativity. We embarrassed ourselves.

James McCarthy is an Everton regular, he is playing at a higher level than many nations can call on. I dont know whats gone wrong with him but hes been appalling in 2 matches and really for quite a while, I wanted Meyler in today, surely McCarthy will be dropped now. O'Neill is too stubborn to admit his failings. McCarthy should be doing a whole lot better as should the whole set up.

N.Ireland vs Poland was a lot worse than today with regards to defensive football. Lets not always think others are doing it better.

Defensive football has been working at this tournament

I heard all that ****e 4 years ago. The comparisons are pointless. We are in a group with Italy and Belgium. One of them will go all the way or close.

If the plan was hoofball why not play Murphy up there, we didnt even bring him on??! Instead Keane is coming on with no legs and long balls 20 foot in the air. We had a number of traffic cones in midfield who barely touched the ball and the defenders launched it all the time.

We cant even play long ball defensive football the right way nevermind pass the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We did have a go.

If anything, we probably tried too hard, especially at the start of the second half where we pushed up and ended up getting caught on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't mind losing to a better team, which we did today, but its the manner of the defeat that annoys me.

We have a load of players playing in top level football yet they seem to lack the ability to do the simple things required in football. Pass, control, move. To see guys earning tens of thousands a week to play the game being content with hoofball up to one forward is heart breaking. Its like something you'd see in an Under 12 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I honestly think some people are in denial about our status in European and World football.

We had a go to the extent that any team could have a go when the talent gulf between two teams is so big.

People are impressed by Wales, for instance. They set up the exact same as us, in fact, even more defensively, but they're lauded. Why? Because they've a bona fide world star who allows them, because he does special things.

Northern Ireland were abysmal against Poland, and up against a shíte Ukraine. They didn't go for it any more than us. They just got one brilliant result.

I'd no problem with how we were set up, and we created multiple opportunities against a wonderfully talented team. Our players just weren't good enough. Randolph wasn't good enough to keep Witsel's header out, and McCarthy hadn't been good enough to track him. Clark wasn't smart enough to stay on his feet for the third. Wes wasn't good enough to put Brady or Hendrick through. Hendrick wasn't good enough to put Long through.

We even got caught on the fúcking break for the first as we were having such a go!

I just think a lot of fans are looking at the result and analysing the game in that context, rather than looking at how we played, and the chances we created within the game plan we set out with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Know your limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Sand wrote: »
    Even if they are on an off day, Italy will have enough ability, composure and professionalism to win relatively comfortable.

Based on what we saw today it should be an easy one for Italy. But we've all seen games where the favourites don't have their mind 100% on the job. Their last minute goal against Sweden might be the best thing that could have happened for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There are things lacking in that side of ours but one of those things that really showed us up today was our lack of movement and pace... you could see the difference when McGeady and McLean came on. OK I'm not suggesting they are the all round solution to this flawed team but we created more and managed to keep more of the ball as well as get at their back four which we hardly did up to that point...

No irish player came out today with any credit.. you just have to look at those who preformed even worse then the average to see who needs replacing but again what are our options...

I'd be honestly considering some wholesale changes for the Italy game..

Christie for Coleman...Walters for Ward if fit with Brady back to left full...Duffy for Clarke... maybe even the likes of Quinn for McCarthy

Whatever about the Italians resting a couple the players who they bring in will still want to impress their manager and if we really don't up it they could play their U21 side and we still would be hammered...

It's a flawed side.. we don't have the players... we did wonderfully well to qualify.. we might as well have the balls to make a few changes against Italy and just go for the win...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

One thing for sure is that if we intend to beat Italy Shane long can't have an entire half to himself,the Italian defense is good enough as it is without us making it easier for them,I think we should start Keane up front with him,Italy are beatable,we have done it before,we can do it again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't mind losing to a better team, which we did today, but its the manner of the defeat that annoys me.

We have a load of players playing in top level football yet they seem to lack the ability to do the simple things required in football. Pass, control, move. To see guys earning tens of thousands a week to play the game being content with hoofball up to one forward is heart breaking. Its like something you'd see in an Under 12 game.

People here seem to think we are Lithuania or worse Gibraltar. You'd forget that we have a team made up of players playing in one of Europe's biggest leagues and in teams in the league below it that have more money than mid sized mainland european teams.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    One thing for sure is that if we intend to beat Italy Shane long can't have an entire half to himself,the Italian defense is good enough as it is without us making it easier for them,I think we should start Keane up front with him,Italy are beatable,we have done it before,we can do it again

You are right. We have no choice but to got for it, such is the gap between us. The horror match is behind us. We took the beating, lets move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I honestly think some people are in denial about out status in European and World football.
    Expectations are just off the charts. Even before the game, people were asking whether we'd go through with 3 draws, almost like it was a formality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

To produce a better standard of player in this country, junior soccer needs to be demilitarized and reformed. Get rid of the Mourinho wannabes with their barking orders and get people who will nurture love of the game from early on. Football is an art and children need to be given a canvas. Dominic Foley said it correctly when he pointed out that there could be 30 kids to 1 football with his local club.

And the politics in grassroots schoolboys football is rife
    Better footballers at a young age over looked for county and emerging talent programmes for coaches' friend son
    Old men using older grudges against clubs the only ones that suffer are the kids and eventually our Irish squad loses out potential fantastic players

Hopefully we can push back against Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Let's face it, so many of the valid points made here have been the case with the Ireland team since the 2002 world cup. The sweden game was the tournament for ireland. Two similarly matched teams, once Ireland failed to push home advantage and get the 3 points, the tournament was always going to end in the group phase.

People grasp at straws, Belgium are infighting, Italy are resting players. But I can't see why Italy will not copper fasten the point they need to win the group and ensure they avoid spain in the last 16. Italy have plenty to play for wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

Quotes from O Shea post match

“We know we’ve got a big chance against Italy,” the Sunderland defender told RTÉ after today’s 3-0 loss.

“It’ll be a difficult game as Italy have been fantastic in their first two games but we can take positives from the first half tonight."

Positives from the first half???? I dont see us with any chance against Italy, they are a different class to this ordinary Belgium side. I fear for us , another battering on the cards

I agree that we could be heading for a heavy defeat, but he has to say things like that, for the sake of morale if nothing else.

I honestly think some people are in denial about our status in European and World football.

We had a go to the extent that any team could have a go when the talent gulf between two teams is so big.

People are impressed by Wales, for instance. They set up the exact same as us, in fact, even more defensively, but they're lauded. Why? Because they've a bona fide world star who allows them, because he does special things.

Northern Ireland were abysmal against Poland, and up against a shíte Ukraine. They didn't go for it any more than us. They just got one brilliant result.

I'd no problem with how we were set up, and we created multiple opportunities against a wonderfully talented team. Our players just weren't good enough. Randolph wasn't good enough to keep Witsel's header out, and McCarthy hadn't been good enough to track him. Clark wasn't smart enough to stay on his feet for the third. Wes wasn't good enough to put Brady or Hendrick through. Hendrick wasn't good enough to put Long through.

We even got caught on the fúcking break for the first as we were having such a go!

I just think a lot of fans are looking at the result and analysing the game in that context, rather than looking at how we played, and the chances we created within the game plan we set out with.

I would classify those as half chances, multiple opportunities I dont agree with. We did not test their keeper. I really did not come out of that game thinking we had a go at them at all. If that is us "having a go", time wasting ten minutes in, then its dark times for Irish football.

I really feel we are capable of better than today, but Martin O'Neill is not the man to bring this out evidently. He should have made changes today but didnt, he should make changes and come out more against Italy but wont. O'Neill is stubborn and predictable. If he wants to play hoof it in the air and 11 men behind the ball, then FFS put Darly Murphy up there aswell. Keane is not going to add anything to the team the way we play, and his legs are gone

In saying all that I dont think it matters what we do against Italy, Italian reserves or not. They are a different class to Belgium to me, and we are in deep trouble but once again we will leave a tournament where I feel we are capable of much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

briany wrote: »
    It's annoying the way, in a bad Irish loss, the whole grass roots system gets put on trial. If you're not happy with that, that should be an ongoing debate because it's an ongoing issue. I think people are wrong to think that any amount of Irish underperformance is ever going to affect change because Ireland has simply never been used to the levels of success that bigger European nations have. The Irish team has already met its brief in qualifying for the tournament. That has always been the aim of the FAI. Our level for an inquest is significantly lower than for other European nations. If Ireland start finishing groups in 5th or 6th place on the regular then you may start seeing real pushes for change in the country's footballing coaching and underage structure.

It should be an ongoing issue but unfortunately for us the majority of our fans couldnt give a **** and are only there for the piss up. And dont worry 5th or 6th in qualifying groups is coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

mickeyk wrote: »
    I can't see anything better than a hard fought draw against the Italians who will want to be sure of winning the group.

Italy have already won the group ,they cannot be overtaken .
    They have 6 points and the only team that can match that is Belgium who Italy have already beaten giving them the better head to head.

It should be an ongoing issue but unfortunately for us the majority of our fans couldnt give a **** and are only there for the piss up. And dont worry 5th or 6th in qualifying groups is coming.

I love Ireland but it is boring now. I'm half American and I get more buzz out of seeing how they will progress. Irish team is dead to me now, the buzz has long gone, I don't expect any serious talent to emerge and if it does it will be a fluke, a one off and I think we are too far gone that if we do get a world class player in next 5 years, the rest of the talent will be so bad that it won't make an iota of difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

GreNoLi wrote: »

I remember thinking how much improved Tony Cascarino's all around play was after his first year in France - and I'm being quite serious here btw. :)

A spell in a decent continental division can add a degree of composure on the ball, even in players where there was very little before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We didn't create multiple chances...that's nonsence. A handful of half chances in the latter stages of the game when they were 3 up and dropped off a bit as you'd expect.

We only had a go at them also in the latter stages as above when they were 3 up and dropped off... the pace of McLean and McGeady made a slight difference but to even say we had a go at them ? I'm not sure I agree with that at all at any point in the game.. and either way 'having a go' is the minimum I'd expect.

Let us see Austria tonight, bad first result but I imagine they will do a hell of a lot better against Portugal than we did against Belgium, but we'll be told their players for RB Leipzig and Mainz are far superior to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I remember thinking how much improved Tony Cascarino's all around play was after his first year in France - and I'm being quite serious here btw. :)

A spell in a decent continental division can add a degree of composure on the ball, even in players where there was very little before.

This is true as well but I suppose it wont happen as a championship team probably pays more wages than a mid table la liga side like real betis or deportivo la coruña.

Hendrick is one that could really benefit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Let's face it, so many of the valid points made here have been the case with the Ireland team since the 2002 world cup. The sweden game was the tournament for ireland. Two similarly matched teams, once Ireland failed to push home advantage and get the 3 points, the tournament was always going to end in the group phase.

People grasp at straws, Belgium are infighting, Italy are resting players. But I can't see why Italy will not copper fasten the point they need to win the group and ensure they avoid spain in the last 16. Italy have plenty to play for wednesday.

They're already guaranteed group winners. They can't be caught as they have the head to head on Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

GreNoLi wrote: »

100%, plenty of our lads would be able to play top division abroad in spain/france that arent getting a chance in top level England due to the snobbery

• Advertisement
Advertisement