Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group E - Belgium vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE & ITV

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

100%, plenty of our lads would be able to play top division abroad in spain/france that arent getting a chance in top level England due to the snobbery

Maybe with Brexit :D If nothing else it would make us more diverse and versatile, our football is so ingrained with the English system so essentially we are just the poverty version of the real deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Was it Brady that stood off the crosser of the ball for Belgiums second. Thought that was disgraceful myself - made no attempt to get out and close him down whatsoever. Dire game.

It seemed the plan was to play for 0-0 but if that was the case I'd have left out Wes and brought in David Meyler. He would've suited that game plan much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

100%, plenty of our lads would be able to play top division abroad in spain/france that arent getting a chance in top level England due to the snobbery

Answer me this then... why are they not being signed up by these top division clubs in Spain and France and the likes... is that snobbery too ?

Strumms wrote: »
    Answer me this then... why are they not being signed up by these top division clubs in Spain and France and the likes... is that snobbery too ?

It is probably a money and cultural thing, not even language barrier, just the fact we have no history of it happening in any great numbers. Players can earn more in England than they could in France for instance. Put it like this I know lads who played in Ligue 2 and they had to work part time jobs/go university. That is the second tier in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Mec27 wrote: »
    Let us see Austria tonight, bad first result but I imagine they will do a hell of a lot better against Portugal than we did against Belgium, but we'll be told their players for RB Leipzig and Mainz are far superior to ours.

Austria would be considered a better team. It would be far from a surprise if they got a result here. Belgium would also be a better team than Portugal I would imagine so I'm not sure the point!

We were very negative today but we were shown what happens when we try to be positive and Belgium broke. In some ways, or Neill knew exactly his teams limitations and built his first half tactics around them.

It's a case of the better team won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

NIMAN wrote: »
    We have a load of players playing in top level football yet they seem to lack the ability to do the simple things required in football. Pass, control, move. To see guys earning tens of thousands a week to play the game being content with hoofball up to one forward is heart breaking. Its like something you'd see in an Under 12 game.

Agreed.
    Technically we seem very limited on the ball.
    Even in qualifying against lower ranked sides like Georgia ,they played us off the park and technically looked much superior.

Anyone getting paid tens of thousands of pounds a week and playing in any position apart from centre back should be comfortable on the ball.
    I think its a cultural thing ,just lump the ball up to the forward ,if the ball is not in our half the opponent cant score.

It could be lack of confidence too ,alot of the time Belgium pressed our players we seemed to panic and make a mistake.
    Good technical teams would welcome being pressed as if they break through the press they are in a good attacking position.

Whats disappointing is that we played very little football today and created next to no chances against a suspect Belgian defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I love Ireland but it is boring now. I'm half American and I get more buzz out of seeing how they will progress. Irish team is dead to me now, the buzz has long gone, I don't expect any serious talent to emerge and if it does it will be a fluke, a one off and I think we are too far gone that if we do get a world class player in next 5 years, the rest of the talent will be so bad that it won't make an iota of difference

I'm sure your support will be sorely missed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I find it very sad the excuses about resources and other stuff like hyping average Belgium up coming from our fans.

Its not an excuse to say Belgium are a far better side than Ireland, its an observation.

And hyping up Belgium? To be honest I think a lot of people lost the run of themselves this week trying to hype up Ireland's chances against the Belgians. Of course its going to be harder after the team have run slap bang into the wall of reality, an easy 3-0 win for the Belgian side, internal strife or no internal strife.
    You can take about relegations etc but the fact is most of our starting players were Premier League players this year, like Belgium who are filled with Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea players.

No Irish player plays for Spurs, Liverpool or Chelsea.
    And I accept Belgium are on another level to us I dont think anybodys disputing that, but we have players at our disposal to do alot better than that today. Even if we lost we could have showed ambition, not full blown negativity. We embarrassed ourselves.

Are they on another level, or are they average and overhyped?

I think Ireland *might* have put in a better performance, but I don't see these players you think where we could *expect* better than the players on the pitch did. Belgium have miles better players on their bench, let alone in the team - Benteke, Nainggolan, Fellaini. All three would be the main men in the Irish team but Belgium couldn't find a spot in the team for them in a must win game.

The only threat of embarrassment was when Ireland was being opened up in the second half and it looked like it might finish 4, 5 or 6-0. The rest of the football world doesn't see Ireland embarrassing itself - it sees a very poor football team being comfortably beaten by a much better side that might go all the way in the tournament. They expect that sort of scoreline. They go okay, and move on.
    James McCarthy is an Everton regular, he is playing at a higher level than many nations can call on. I dont know whats gone wrong with him but hes been appalling in 2 matches and really for quite a while, I wanted Meyler in today, surely McCarthy will be dropped now. O'Neill is too stubborn to admit his failings. McCarthy should be doing a whole lot better as should the whole set up.

McCarthy wouldn't even make the Belgian squad. And Meyler certainly wouldn't. Bad and all as McCarthy is, Ireland do not have a host of alternatives to play instead of him.
    If today is acceptable its curtains for Irish football

I don't think us saying it is acceptable or unacceptable will have any effect on Irish football. What happens if we agree its unacceptable?

I am disappointed, but I was prepared for this result since before the tournament started. I actually expected Sweden would beat us, so we're ahead of expectations in my book.

It is probably a money and cultural thing, not even language barrier, just the fact we have no history of it happening in any great numbers. Players can earn more in England than they could in France for instance. Put it like this I know lads who played in Ligue 2 and they had to work part time jobs/go university. That is the second tier in France.

Why mention League 2 ? The other poster said the top divisions in Spain and France... if they choose money over ambition that is their own lookout... do you think Jeff Hendricks would be getting paid more at Derby then at Monaco ? More at Derby then Valencia...more at Derby then Bilbao ? If you think that might be the case then why are these playears at the aforementioned clubs not signing for Championship clubs en masse ?

The point I'm trying to make is that although we underperformed today we also have to acknowledge that we don't have the players to compete at this level... if our players were good enough to be plying their trade in the top divisions in Europe they would be.. snobbery argument the other poster mentioned is rediciously as when we did have proper talent in our squad they were all playing at top clubs in England and elsewhere...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

sonic85 wrote: »
    It seemed the plan was to play for 0-0 but if that was the case I'd have left out Wes and brought in David Meyler. He would've suited that game plan much better.

I agree in one sense that we try to be all things to everything. Meyler and Daryl Murphy would be a better fit for a Hoofball all out defense.O'Neill is exactly like his recent club management days. Predictable and out of touch. You know what you get with us. With Walters injured we changed the sytem instead of bringing in a like for like player. We all know McClean will come on as sub probably with McGeady not soon after. And the team will be rearranged not like for like changes.

The subs are in a pecking order no matter what happens on the pitch. People like Meyler, Quinn, Duffy and Murphy have no chance of getting on no matter what happens. They are clearly not trusted by management.

Its boring, predictable and stale very like the Trap days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It could be lack of confidence too ,alot of the time Belgium pressed our players we seemed to panic and make a mistake.
    Good technical teams would welcome being pressed as if they break through the press they are in a good attacking position.

If you have ability to control the ball and see a pass, then pressing can be dealt with. But we lack the ability and thats why we look so bad.

When other teams press us, we get rid asap. Upfield, anywhere.
    When we press teams now, they just pass it round us and make you look stupid, because they love having someone like McClean chasing around mad between 3 players, as they pass a triangle and make him look daft.

I'm sure your support will be sorely missed...

Oh we haven't heard the last of him on Irish soccer! Not even this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We don't the players to compete against tier 1 nations.

We do belong in this competition though - or as much as Sweden, Iceland, Hungary, Norn Iron, Austria, Albania, Romania etc.

We have to face facts - second tournament in a row we got massively sh1t draws.

We haven't been great but Italy x 2, Spain, Belgium, Croatia, Sweden is a hell of a six teams to get.

Let's not get down because we're not as good a teams that are basically stocked with elite players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

On reflection with the aid of a fine Spanish rioja we were due a good spanking. We should have beaten Sweden but dropped the ball badly. Today we faced a Belgian team with a questionable team spirit but with world class players. Unfortunately for us they clicked and we helped them with a number of stupid mistakes by individuals on the team. I despaired watching Long struggle without any real support up front. Our play in the final third of the pitch was abysmal.

The Italian game is going to be an uphill battle and as others have said already their bit part squad players will be trying to make a name for themselves. But I definitely believe we have played far better than we did four years ago and if the team shows the right attitude we are more than capable of getting a positive result in the last game.

(I still think my idea of sending our best looking men out on a breeding mission to Brazil is a great idea to improve Irish Soccer in 20 years time!)

If you have ability to control the ball and see a pass, then pressing can be dealt with. But we lack the ability and thats why we look so bad.

When we press teams now, they just pass it round us and make you look stupid, because they love having someone like McClean chasing around mad between 3 players, as they pass a triangle and make him look daft.

This, tbh, is one of the worst I've ever seen it. We saw signs after the goal scored against Sweden that we had an issue with our composure or nerves or whatever it is. Thought this would be the first thing they would try adress but it was at an extreme level.

At times, such was the set up it was like a rugby game and punt and go garryowen tactics!

I think we will have more time on the ball against Italy as they won't press as much which is an optimistic aspect.

The truth is we should now by the game whether it's a must win game looking at the other groups and if it's a must win and a draw is no use situation we have nothing to lose and that may have a positive impact on their mental approach

• Advertisement

It was decent of Belgium to bring on Benteke to put an end to the goal rush, they must have felt sorry for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Worst team in the tournament?

Wait till Italy blow us away. Then you hand out the award.

Sand wrote: »
    Its not an excuse to say Belgium are a far better side than Ireland, its an observation.

And hyping up Belgium? To be honest I think a lot of people lost the run of themselves this week trying to hype up Ireland's chances against the Belgians. Of course its going to be harder after the team have run slap bang into the wall of reality, an easy 3-0 win for the Belgian side, internal strife or no internal strife.

Are they on another level, or are they average and overhyped?

I think Ireland *might* have put in a better performance, but I don't see these players you think where we could *expect* better than the players on the pitch did. Belgium have miles better players on their bench, let alone in the team - Benteke, Nainggolan, Fellaini. All three would be the main men in the Irish team but Belgium couldn't find a spot in the team for them in a must win game.

The only threat of embarrassment was when Ireland was being opened up in the second half and it looked like it might finish 4, 5 or 6-0. The rest of the football world doesn't see Ireland embarrassing itself - it sees a very poor football team being comfortably beaten by a much better side that might go all the way in the tournament. They expect that sort of scoreline. They go okay, and move on.

McCarthy wouldn't even make the Belgian squad. And Meyler certainly wouldn't. Bad and all as McCarthy is, Ireland do not have a host of alternatives to play instead of him.

I don't think us saying it is acceptable or unacceptable will have any effect on Irish football. What happens if we agree its unacceptable?

I am disappointed, but I was prepared for this result since before the tournament started. I actually expected Sweden would beat us, so we're ahead of expectations in my book.

I did not expect much against Belgium I did say I really feared for us but I still do think they are overhyped, they are being held up as one of the best teams in the world and tournament winner. We seen how average they are againt Italy and they will be exposed again in this tournament very soon I have no doubt.

It was the manner of the performance, tactics, and mindset that really disappointed me. I was pretty ashamed we went down like that, I struggled to watch after the 3rd goal it was painful stuff. We showed no bottle, we laid down and died from minute 1. The First Half performance certainly wasnt good enough by any standard, and in the 2nd half we got what we deserved. Belgium have a terrific team on paper , but thats all it is. They are a collection of individuals with a poor manager, strange player selection and tactics. They also lack character. The better teams will expose this like Italy did.

The writing was on the wall after the Sweden game. People were celebrating the draw , and the attitude of the players and management post match said it all, they were happy with the draw too.

We should have won that game and needed to win it. We play for draws and accept draws all too easily, I would rather go out attempting to win the game and lose, then this stuff of coming for a draw

Something to keep in mind... I did a quick check of our championship squads when we're were at our peak.. euro '88.. Italy '90 and USA '94.. out of the 66 selections over the 3 tournaments I reckon from memory that 8 out of that were playing outside a top division.. many were playing for the likes of Liverpool, Manchester Utd.. Celtic (when that league was competitive) Arsenal, Chelsea, etc.... football hasn't changed that much... if our lot were good enough they would be playing there too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

@briany
    Didn't mean to put down all of grassroots football there's countless amazing men and women who give up their free time to kids and put up with more crap from parents and district leagues imaginable

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    We don't the players to compete against tier 1 nations.

We do belong in this competition though - or as much as Sweden, Iceland, Hungary, Norn Iron, Austria, Albania, Romania etc.

We have to face facts - second tournament in a row we got massively sh1t draws.

We haven't been great but Italy x 2, Spain, Belgium, Croatia, Sweden is a hell of a six teams to get.

Let's not get down because we're not as good a teams that are basically stocked with elite players.

Sweden are pretty shi-t all things considered.

Something to keep in mind... I did a quick check of our championship squads when we're were at our peak.. euro '88.. Italy '90 and USA '94.. out of the 66 selections over the 3 tournaments I reckon from memory that 8 out of that were playing outside a top division.. many were playing for the likes of Liverpool, Manchester Utd.. Celtic (when that league was competitive) Arsenal, Chelsea, etc.... football hasn't changed that much... if our lot were good enough they would be playing there too...

Most of those players wouldn't get there now if football climate is what it is today.

Most of those players wouldn't get there now if football climate is what it is today.

Rubbish.. what do you base that on ? If you are good enough you will succeed and find your level.. football is about success first and foremost and the top clubs want top players... simple...

Why mention League 2 ? The other poster said the top divisions in Spain and France... if they choose money over ambition that is their own lookout... do you think Jeff Hendricks would be getting paid more at Derby then at Monaco ? More at Derby then Valencia...more at Derby then Bilbao ? If you think that might be the case then why are these playears at the aforementioned clubs not signing for Championship clubs en masse ?

The point I'm trying to make is that although we underperformed today we also have to acknowledge that we don't have the players to compete at this level... if our players were good enough to be plying their trade in the top divisions in Europe they would be.. snobbery argument the other poster mentioned is rediciously as when we did have proper talent in our squad they were all playing at top clubs in England and elsewhere...

Just to show that the championship is probably a top 10 league in europe when you take money and competiveness into consideration. Hendrick isn't good enough for Bilbao or Valencia, but he could slot into a mid-table La Liga team imo.

I always remember the 2002 squad.

Keane, Duff, Holland, Keane, Carr, Harte.

That's possibly the best midfielder in the world, two excellent young attacking players doing really well in the PL, the captain of Charlton who were mid table and two team of the year full backs.

Kilbane and a partner for Robbie the only weak points. And even Kilbane was full if effort, chasing everything all match long.

That team would have actually done quite well in the premiership.

That team had excellent balance and harmony, I think it would have been a top 6 team of that era(keeping in mind teams like Charlton, Blackburn and Ipswich were up there) Also had Given on the back of a team of the year place in 2001, brilliant team tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Need some of our players to take chances in non-British leagues.

Too much effort required for that, getting used to a new culture and having to learn a new language.No way will many players take that chance.

It was a such a pity Robbie Keane didn't work out at Inter as it might have opened our players eyes to the benefits of playing in a different style and expanding their horizons.

Englands players only playing in England is one of the reasons I think they underachieve as they play the same intense style over and over there whole career and can't quite adapt to the slower more technical style of international tournaments.

That team had excellent balance and harmony, I think it would have been a top 6 team of that era(keeping in mind teams like Charlton, Blackburn and Ipswich were up there)

To be honest I'll never get over that.

We should have gotten third at least in that World Cup. Standard was awful and we were brilliant at the time.

Korea vrs Turkey in 3rd place match IIRC.

Beat Spain (missed peno in normal time, exit on pens) and we were a Korea match away from a World Cup semi final!!!!

**** you Keane and McCarthy - all are punished!!!

Just to show that the championship is probably a top 10 league in europe when you take money and competiveness into consideration. Hendrick isn't good enough for Bilbao or Valencia, but he could slot into a mid-table La Liga team imo.

The championship due to the number of games is more of a hard slog and a race of attrition more then anything...

La Liga is plenty competitive the French top tier less so due to the influx of money to PSV etc...

Valencia are a mid table side and Bilbao slightly punched above their weight to get 5th...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

To add to that ,how many of the first 11 team today would get into those teams of 88 ,90 and 94 ?
    None I'd say .

The ironic thing is that Jack had one of the best groups of Irish players who were capable of much better football than he allowed them play.

• Advertisement

To be honest I'll never get over that.

We should have gotten third at least in that World Cup. Standard was awful and we were brilliant at the time.

Korea vrs Turkey in 3rd place match IIRC.

I think we would have come undone against South Korea, we were good but they were riding high on a wave of emotion and fanatical support,alas we will never know. We were such a fast paced free flowing team, if I am right we were nominated for most exciting team at the tournament, some of the clips on youtube are amazing.

To add to that ,how many of the first 11 team today would get into those teams of 88 ,90 and 94 ?
    None I'd say .

The ironic thing is that Jack had one of the best groups of Irish players who were capable of much better football than he allowed them play.

Absolutely.. none... maybe the likes of O'Shea at his peak.. Long and Walters the only other two in with a shout to displace the likes of David Kelly and so on but in general no comparison...

It's not a slight on the current crop you can't fault them for lack off effort but we haven't got the talent... that's not to say we shouldn't support them as one enlightened individual has indicated but we also can have expectations but when this side don't meet them like probably not coming out of a difficult group like this one which is likley. somtimes you have to say hands up there were better teams and we were not good enough and yes.. it's dissapointing but failure is part of life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Bad game. A big loss losing Walters in the Swedish match and I do feel we were doing okay for the first half. What really killed it was the penalty disallowed. That Turkish ref gave Belgium everything. It was home for Belgium who have played really poorly this tournament for the supposed 2nd best team in the world. I do hope Walters will return for the Italy game. The Turkish ref screwed us up.

I think we would have come undone against South Korea, we were good but they were riding high on a wave of emotion and fanatical support,alas we will never know. We were such a fast paced free flowing team, if I am right we were nominated for most exciting team at the tournament, some of the clips on youtube are amazing.

We were also riding high for the same reasons and with a good bloody team.. you are about the only person I have heard suggest they would have beaten us.. going by your opinions on Irish football I'm not sure if you just have a particular agenda or are just on the wind up.. or clueless.. maybe all of the above ..

We were also riding high for the same reasons and with a good bloody team.. you are about the only person I have heard suggest they would have beaten us.. going by your opinions on Irish football I'm not sure if you just have a particular agenda or are just on the wind up.. or clueless.. maybe all of the above ..

How the **** will we ever know? They did beat Spain afteral in the next round.

How the **** will we ever know? They did beat Spain afteral in the next round.

Well you were the one who suggested we would come unstuck... why don't you tell me ? We were a better side... that's where I'm coming from.. and we should have beaten Spain we were the better side..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Well you were the one who suggested we would come unstuck... why don't you tell me ? We were a better side... that's where I'm coming from.. and we should have beaten Spain we were the better side..

I always wonder what would have happened if Keane was playing in that match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Its 3 league games, but you can't make mistakes. It's not like 38 league games where you can ,so you need to approach it like cup games, one off's . We played to contain them today and in hindsight we should of went toe to toe with them.
    Big team V Little team Fa Cup style. We overthought it and now we are on verge of going out and living with regrets about our approach our tactics.
    Need to play against Italy, defenders defend, attackers attack. 11 V 11 no inch given, no space conceded. It's a one off cup game now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Fair result. Predicted 3-1 but that was my heart talking with regards Ireland scoring.

Great that it's all come down to the final fixture. In a good few groups too. It will be very difficult to know how those games will go as they really will be cup final affairs. Ireland need to be less conservative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Italy have already won the group ,they cannot be overtaken .
    They have 6 points and the only team that can match that is Belgium who Italy have already beaten giving them the better head to head.

Are you sure? If we beat Italy and Belgium hammer the swedes then Italy will be second on gd surely?

Gutted, that is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

That's possibly the best midfielder in the world, two excellent young attacking players doing really well in the PL, the captain of Charlton who were mid table and two team of the year full backs.

Kilbane and a partner for Robbie the only weak points. And even Kilbane was full if effort, chasing everything all match long.

Don't forget Given who was one of the top goalies around, stevie finnan was superb as well. Oh to have some of those lads now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

mickeyk wrote: »
    Are you sure? If we beat Italy and Belgium hammer the swedes then Italy will be second on gd surely?

It's not decided on GD. Head to head is the first tiebreaker in groups. Italy have won the group no matter what.

mickeyk wrote: »
    Don't forget Given who was one of the top goalies around, stevie finnan was superb as well. Oh to have some of those lads now!!

Some nostalgia getting in the way here, some of those names being bandied around from old Ireland teams weren't all that great.

Hi, I'm Mr Pedantic!! Holland was Ipswich captain at the time, not Charlton!

Truth is, we should have taken Spain in injury time, Then we had a massive chance for semi final WC place facing up to South Korea..............semi final against Germany, who we were far from outclassed by in Group stages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

why cant we control the ball and complete simple passes though? our players are professionals and do this for a living - is it too much to ask that they keep possession for a period of time? surely anybody could see continually lumping the ball upfield and gifting it back to the Belgians expecting to keep it scoreless for 90 minutes was never going to work

why cant we control the ball and complete simple passes though? our players are professionals and do this for a living - is it too much to ask that they keep possession for a period of time? surely anybody could see continually lumping the ball upfield and gifting it back to the Belgians expecting to keep it scoreless for 90 minutes was never going to work

Yeah you'd think the highly paid and highly hyped management team might have seen that and tried to do something about it.

Some nostalgia getting in the way here, some of those names being bandied around from old Ireland teams weren't all that great.

Finnan was a top player at the time two champions league finals and played for Espanyol so was clearly respected from foreign shores.

I think it is fair to be nostalgic looking at the 2002 squad, it was one to be proud of.

Finnan was a top player at the time two champions league finals and played for Espanyol so was clearly respected from foreign shores.

I think it is fair to be nostalgic looking at the 2002 squad, it was one to be proud of.

Like many Ireland teams it was a case of what might have been. They underachieved only qualifying for 1 tournament, egos and different issues were problems there. But that has been discussed to death really. Will always remember 02 with very fond memories though. I dont think the last Euros or this one have been anything but nightmares for us. The only abiding memory will be our fans, and being outclassed time and again on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Maybe the players lacked the composure or the ability to retain possession against top class opposition? I really doubt O'Neill and Keane weren't telling the players to calm down and hold the ball (O'Shea referred to instructions to hold the ball more at half time directly after the game, having Hoolahan on indicated a desire to play *some* football) but the players just arent good enough to do that, panicked and lumped it long regardless of instructions?

• Advertisement
Advertisement