Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group E - Belgium vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE & ITV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Mec27 wrote: »
    The thing about Ireland is we'll trot out all the clichés about being well organized and 'difficult to beat' but we are actually terrible at this, I don't know how we even qualify, it is like we get to these tournaments and just assume the role of cannon fodder, we have no bravery, it is just the same old story. Look at Austria, limited as we are but they went out last night organized and tough to beat, we can't even excel at the thing we are meant to be good at.

Austria had a current Bundesliga and Premier League winner in their starting 11.
    Ireland don't have any above average players. Why can't people understand this? Why are people expecting us to compete with highly ranked teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Paully D wrote: »
    the reality is if it had been the qualifying format that had been there for Trapattoni's reign then we would not have qualified.

Careful Paully, I said similar here a few months ago and was slated by the MON fanclub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Austria had a current Bundesliga and Premier League winner in their starting 11.
    Ireland don't have any above average players. Why can't people understand this? Why are people expecting us to compete with highly ranked teams?

They have a team of benchwarmers and Bundesliga 2 players but whatever suits your agenda. They are comparable to us.

Long and Coleman are above average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Just back home after the game. Obviously very deflating leaving the stadium, but had a few beers and some good food / laughs after to cheers us up.

It's clear that many Irish fans are there just for a piss up and hassling girls on the street. Not good to see. On the other hand, there are also very many fans who were great to talk with and very knowledgeable guys and girls. The disappointment from those fans was obvious.

To me, it all comes down to the kids. If nothing else, kids need to be nurtured and have a smile on their face. As a parent living on the continent, it is obvious that kids play an important part in society. In all aspects of life, they are encouraged to be independent. Same goes for football....the set-up here is fantastic and the culture around sports is one of enjoyment and fitness.

There is nothing in the arguments around small population / competing sports. Many countries in Europe face this problem and even a country like Germany with a huge population will not produce winning sides if their *fundamental* approach to what the game is and the role it plays in our lives and the lives of our children.

We are inward looking and like to place blame and look for solutions in that regard. It's time too look outside of Ireland and Britain. If nothing else, we can bring a smile to the faces of our kids.

It absolutely sickens me that a person of John Delaney is in the position he is. Do you think he cares about you, or your kids? Do you think he even considers the influence he has to do something positive? And change the role his organisation could play in making Ireland a better place to grow up in? The guy has a total lack of self-awareness. He doesn't give a damn. Very very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The thing about Ireland is we'll trot out all the clichés about being well organized and 'difficult to beat' but we are actually terrible at this, I don't know how we even qualify, it is like we get to these tournaments and just assume the role of cannon fodder, we have no bravery, it is just the same old story. Look at Austria, limited as we are but they went out last night organized and tough to beat, we can't even excel at the thing we are meant to be good at.

Austria had lots of graft but were more lucky than anything. They got the point because of poor Portugal attacking and a missed penalty.

If Long got the penalty and we went on to win/draw instead of the Belgium break and goal would you be saying we weren't brave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

We got beaten well by a team whose players will go and have gone for some of the highest transfer fees ever. Our team has players plying their trade primarily in the lower echelons of the PL and even below in some cases. This was a normal result. Nobody will bat an eyelid if United put 3 or 4 past Bournemouth on the opening day of the PL next season.

The comments surrounding our inability to produce quality players are valid and need to be continually highlighted. But the inquest into the result yesterday need not be too in depth if we are looking purely at that result. Our way worse team made some errors that you expect a way worse team to make and their way better players took advantage. Based on where we are at right now, expecting anything different is silly. The reality is that if Belgium contrived to lose against us, their manager should be sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

keith16 wrote: »

To me, it all comes down to the kids. If nothing else, kids need to be nurtured and have a smile on their face. As a parent living on the continent, it is obvious that kids play an important part in society. In all aspects of life, they are encouraged to be independent. Same goes for football....the set-up here is fantastic and the culture around sports is one of enjoyment and fitness.

There is nothing in the arguments around small population / competing sports. Many countries in Europe face this problem and even a country like Germany with a huge population will not produce winning sides if their *fundamental* approach to what the game is and the role it plays in our lives and the lives of our children.

We are inward looking and like to place blame and look for solutions in that regard. It's time too look outside of Ireland and Britain. If nothing else, we can bring a smile to the faces of our kids.

It absolutely sickens me that a person of John Delaney is in the position he is. Do you think he cares about you, or your kids? Do you think he even considers the influence he has to do something positive? And change the role his organisation could play in making Ireland a better place to grow up in? The guy has a total lack of self-awareness. He doesn't give a damn. Very very sad.

31914460.jpg

sorry, I had to!

We got beaten well by a team whose players will go and have gone for some of the highest transfer fees ever. Our team has players plying their trade primarily in the lower echelons of the PL and even below in some cases. This was a normal result. Nobody will bat an eyelid if United put 3 or 4 past Bournemouth on the opening day of the PL next season.

The comments surrounding our inability to produce quality players are valid and need to be continually highlighted. But the inquest into the result yesterday need not be too in depth if we are looking purely at that result. Our way worse team made some errors that you expect a way worse team to make and their way better players took advantage. Based on where we are at right now, expecting anything different is silly. The reality is that if Belgium contrived to lose against us, their manager should be sacked.

How many teams have got hammerings in this euros? That result was atypical of how second/third rank teams are performing against the elite European teams. We did ****ing nothing, it was a terrible performance, as much as people like you try to distort the facts, we are not Lithuania, we are not San Marino, we have a team of players playing in the top echelons of the footballing world, they should be able to put on a better display in a one off match.

Paully D wrote: »
    RE: the O'Neill v Trapattoni discussion from last night.

Trapattoni has still done the better job for Ireland as things stand, IMO. Credit to O'Neill, at the end of the day we qualified for the tournament, but the reality is if it had been the qualifying format that had been there for Trapattoni's reign then we would not have qualified. Due to the fact that teams in 3rd place progressed to a play-off under his reign, O'Neill deserves less credit for qualification IMO, as it is an easier task. Remember, Trappatoni guided us through the World Cup 2010 and Euro 2012 qualifying campaigns losing only 1 game from 20. Yes, 1 game in 20.

Racking my brains to think of the great wins from those days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

How many teams have got hammerings in this euros? That result was atypical of how second/third rank teams are performing against the elite European teams. We did ****ing nothing, it was a terrible performance, as much as people like you try to distort the facts, we are not Lithuania, we are not San Marino, we have a team of players playing in the top echelons of the footballing world, they should be able to put on a better display in a one off match.
    Right, but this is a normal occurrence no? Average team gets beaten soundly by good team. Yes, average teams can be better organised at times and keep the scoreline down, but in reality they are far more likely to get beaten soundly by a clearly superior team. The average players will make mistakes - that's why they are average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

They have a team of benchwarmers and Bundesliga 2 players but whatever suits your agenda. They are comparable to us.

Long and Coleman are above average.

Long is as good an example of an average forward you could find. Hard worker but technically limited, I don't have the stats but I imagine his conversion rate would be poor, he doesn't score enough.

Coleman had a couple of decent seasons but he's been poor for a while now and his performances in an Ireland shirt have always lagged well behind his good Everton form.

Right, but this is a normal occurrence no? Average team gets beaten soundly by good team. Yes, average teams can be better organised at times and keep the scoreline down, but in reality they are far more likely to get beaten soundly by a clearly superior team. The average players will make mistakes - that's why they are average.

I wouldnt bother, this guy said yesterday, and I quote, "Irish team is dead to me now, the buzz has long gone", and that he enjoys supporting the US national team moreso. He is now talking about us having players in the top echelon of the football world that should be capable of a better performance (I agree with him on the capable of a better performance part, but equally I agree that Belgiums squad is capable of a better performance than yesterday also!) yet yesterday he was saying we have no talent and no future!

He is a walking contradiction! Just sound bites!

I wouldnt bother, this guy said yesterday, and I quote, "Irish team is dead to me now, the buzz has long gone", and that he enjoys supporting the US national team moreso. He is now talking about us having players in the top echelon of the football world that should be capable of a better performance (I agree with him on the capable of a better performance part, but equally I agree that Belgiums squad is capable of a better performance than yesterday also!) yet yesterday he was saying we have no talent and no future!

He is a walking contradiction! Just sound bites!

Ugh. What I meant was this is the last generation where we will be able to count on having players playing in the top tier of European football, once players like Whelan, O'Shea and Long move on, I think we genuinely will have a team that floats between pot 4 and 5, teams from the east of the continent are going to eclipse us and it will not be a fun time to be an Irish football fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I fully agree, and the GAA and rugby has the FAI whipped in terms of ability to raise funds and the way it is spent.

There was a time in the 90s where football was beginning to really dominate sports, Euro 88, Italia 90 and USA 94 had the country in fever pitch like no other sporting event has ever managed.

But the FAI just completely and utterly screwed up, they've been pathetic at maintaining that mood, the GAA really sat up and took notice and targetted huge commercial sponsors and built fine stadiums. Rugby followed suit. Of course it would be a lot easier for rugby to attract big business in the leafy subarbs of D4. But the FAI really now look like an organisation that exists to pay huge salaries to Delaney and co and just concentrates on the immediate needs of the national side to do that. There really seems to be no long term strategy to grow the game, to develop the league here etc.

That 'leafy suburbs of D4' thing is nonsense really. Soccer has the potential to attract many multiples of the funding rugby raises. Just look at the blanket coverage of the match v Belgium while the Ireland rugby match against SA was very much second fiddle.
    The problem is that soccer is run by the most amateurish organisation in the country.
    The FAI is like a private little club managed by an inept few (mainly just Delaney as dictator).
    As usual he makes a balls of things - resigning ONeill BEFORE the competition starts - how utterly stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You are very wrong here, maybe Ill-informed due to living abroad but for all his annoyances john Delaney does great work for grass roots football, kids football in particular. It's the only reason he has retained his position of power within the fai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,239 ✭✭✭✭briany

Racking my brains to think of the great wins from those days.

There wasn't one. The greatest win Ireland had over a team under Trap was really the 0-4 away win to Estonia, in competitive play, anyway. And all these people at the end of Trap's reign were saying, "I don't care if Ireland gets beaten in every game, I just want to see them play football, or attempt to do so." Under Trap, Ireland had absolutely no capability of beating a half-decent side. At least this has progressed under O'Neill, and Trap's Ireland would have taken a tonking from Belgium as well. Even worse, possibly, given the greater ease Belgium would have in playing through Ireland's midfield.

Trap was a good hand to right Ireland's sinking ship, but his vision for Ireland's game was a total dead-end, in the end.

Gavlor wrote: »
    You are very wrong here, maybe Ill-informed due to living abroad but for all his annoyances john Delaney does great work for grass roots football, kids football in particular. It's the only reason he has retained his position of power within the fai.

Please feel free to enlighten me. What exactly has he done?

Is the below quoted article no longer true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I would put it young kids football specifically rather than grassroots, the fun stuff rather than anything anyway technical. Ages above 10 years old are being lost to mediocre formations of coaching and setup. These ages are some of the most important ones and they are being wasted by lazy planning and an unwillingness to think outside the box. I've been involved in this area and I've seen a consistent stagnation of technical output towards those who are doing the coaching etc. So much more could be done and it's certainly nothing Delaney should be putting a feather in his cap for.

Christ, a bit of positivity is needed. The next game has so so many more aspects leading up to it that we can garner a positive result than the Belgium game did, win or draw. (and yes, although we will still go out, a draw would be a positive result)

Maybe a bit of optimism, try enjoy the lead up to what is our biggest match since, possibly Spain 2002? A chance to reach the knockout stages. We still have a decent chance,.

1> Italy are through, and whilst we will still face a top bunch of players at a high level, some even more deserving of a first team place than others that are currently first choice, this will not be the Italian first team,
    this will not be a defence used to playing with eachother which is the backbone of Italian soccer.
    this will not be a win at all costs Italian midset

Belgium had to win this game, severe pressure .

We wont be pressed like we were against Belgium, we will have more time on the ball, opportunity for restpite and to gather ourselves.
    The tempo from the Italians will b slower and they will sit back more. This will hand a small bit more initiative for the likes of Hoolahan and Brady to apply themselves.

Its a win at all costs game for Ireland and the players cannot go out there with a negative attitude, manager alike. We saw against Sweden they are capable of offensive football and they will acknowledge that.

There will be changes, McCarthy most likely contender.

Walters has a chance to come back, but I doubt it.

The odds are still against us but I genuinely think we have huge chance.

We are soccer fans, its not life or death. Enjoy the game and the lead up, stop bathing in misery of a result that is now irrevocable.
    Yes we need to reflect, but we also need to move on for next three days. We are in our 3rd major tournament in 22 years and have the chance to reach the knockout stages of the Euros for the first time!! I know, I know, 24 teams, all that craic but Try to be a little bit positive.

You suck the enjoyment out of sport when you cant share a bit of optimism.

Please feel free to enlighten me. What exactly has he done?

Is the below quoted article no longer true?

The fai have taken major steps in this regard take the latest underage development structures http://www.fai.ie/domestic/player-development-plan/player-development-plan-presented-to-fai-agm

Plus they have invested heavily in grassroots football (particularly in the South east so maybe a bit of parish pump stuff) just look at the facilities in clubs around the country compared to what they were 5 or 10 years ago.

All that being said, Delaney is grossly overpaid for the position that he holds, you won't find me arguing with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

That's hilarious. Tell us another one.

Getting back to the match, there will probably be changed but who would you bring in??

I think the Italy game will be a positive one, we'll probably keep the ball because Italy be happy to let us have it, they aren't going to outmuscle, outwork and outrun us like Belgium were able to

Getting back to the match, there will probably be changed but who would you bring in??

I'd say I would give it a good go in the middle of the park. Played a bit of 5 a side a few years ago. May be rusty. :pac:

LorMal wrote: »
    That 'leafy suburbs of D4' thing is nonsense really. Soccer has the potential to attract many multiples of the funding rugby raises. Just look at the blanket coverage of the match v Belgium while the Ireland rugby match against SA was very much second fiddle.
    The problem is that soccer is run by the most amateurish organisation in the country.
    The FAI is like a private little club managed by an inept few (mainly just Delaney as dictator).
    As usual he makes a balls of things - resigning ONeill BEFORE the competition starts - how utterly stupid.

Possibly, the next shirt deal will tell a lot.

The IRFU were able to get 2.5 million per annum from O2, 3 were paying half that to the FAI.

The IRFU shirt deal jumps to 5 million per annum from Vodafone...wonder will the FAI also be able to get near.

We can make absolutely no assumptions about how Italy will play. The pressure's off them and we don't really know how that'll affect their mentality. On the one hand, yes they could sit back, but on the other hand it might give them the freedom to be creative and pass the ball around, get a few goals for the laugh, and have second string players try to impress.

The best thing we could hope for is if Italy were to take a 'tactical' loss, that by going easy on Ireland, they put Ireland in a position that knock out another team that would pose more danger, later on in the competition, but this is a long-shot of a hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

It's the young fans I feel sorry for. Deluded into thinking we have a decent team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The 2 main reasons why many feel the martin o'neill years are superior to those under trappatoni are:

Trappatoni definetly had a better squad. Keane, duff, o'shea, Given still in their prime.
    The team were hockeyed many times under trappatoni, and the defending was appaling most of the time, marginally a step up from staunton's stint, and it just doesn't get worse than that. The Belgium game is first or second really bad defeat under o'neill in almost 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

What an awful embarrassing display. We are without doubt the worst team in the tournament. Albania, Iceland, N. Ireland all play football. We cant string 3 passes together. We need to stop accepting mediocrity. Clark out, honest player but will cost you games. McCarthy out, he's not interested. Duffy In, Quinn in, and when he's fit again, Arter in. We have options but everyone, everyone, needs to be switched on all the time. We need to be more ruthless in selection and play. Fans stop applauding horrible performances. At the moment the football, if you can call it that, is just a distraction for a major piss up.

I agree it was pathetic stuff, whats more worrying is how many of our fans think its acceptable. Not just here but facebook, real life. Its depressing stuff, I really fear for the future of Irish football if this is the best we can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

briany wrote: »
    The best thing we could hope for is if Italy were to take a 'tactical' loss, that by going easy on Ireland, they put Ireland in a position that knock out another team that would pose more danger, later on in the competition, but this is a long-shot of a hope.

This is just sad to read, are things that bad that our only hope is if the opposition throws the game? :(

I dont disagree but its very sad its come to this

• Advertisement

I agree it was pathetic stuff, whats more worrying is how many of our fans think its acceptable. Not just here but facebook, real life. Its depressing stuff, I really fear for the future of Irish football if this is the best we can do.

where are you getting this from? the general consensus is disappointment at the result and the errors that led up to them, frustration at our mindset of failing to keep some possession and our approach of clear at all costs and sit back when its clear that we dont have the ability to counteract effectively, and realisation of our limitations both in terms of quality and quantity of player pool?
    Not sure many proper invested fans are thinking the approach, performance and result is acceptable. Perhaps some are unsurprised but general consensus isnt that many are accepting it.

PS, I wouldnt refer to the fans partying, thats a holiday mindset and just being caught up in what is a great environment of fun and friendly atmosphere. If I had invested thousands on a holiday and taken my annual leave, I would certainly try to enjoy the occassion, win lose or draw Most of them will be frustrated and realise we can do so much better. Its a once of a life experience and the majority of those fans are some of the most invested soccer fans we have so Id give their enjoyment precedence over keyboard frustration on Boards.ie or Facebook. (not you I am having a go at, but their are some awful eegits criticising the fans for having a good time and not crying in their pint glasses.)

Most of whom wouldnt even pay 40 euro to go to a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

What annoys me is the idiots singing the fields of athenry when we're geeting thrashed and those playing up to the cameras. Other fans are there for the foorball while a lot of irish fans seem to be more interested in the sing song. i cetainly had no reason to sintive resultg or smile yesterday but then i like a lot of proper fans were hoping for a positive result and not a f***ing sing song

Absolute b'****, Ireland are capable of winning this game, however small it may be.
    To say our only hope is if Italy throw the game is nonsense of the highest order. We have a lot more positive factors that will aid us going into this game than we had against Belgium, as I pointed out a few posts ago. I always targetted this game as a better opportunity after Italy beat Belgium and although my optimism has been badly affected, I certainly havent resorted to the attitude that our only hope is Italy purposefully losing!!!

In fact the players that go out against us will be, for the most part, not the first 11 and will be pressing harder so as to try force the manager to reconsider their place in the first 11.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    What annoys me is the idiots singing the fields of athenry when we're geeting thrashed and those playing up to the cameras. Other fans are there for the foorball while a lot of irish fans seem to be more interested in the sing song. i cetainly had no reason to sintive resultg or smile yesterday but then i like a lot of proper fans were hoping for a positive result and not a f***ing sing song

I think everyone was hoping for a positive result. If some people have a sing song in the face of defeat, is that not better than going mad and wrecking the place like some sets of fans have been wont to do through the years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The Belgium result was a touch of badly needed realism.

Our grassroots structures and national league are in ribbons and that's been shown in the national team.
    For the second time in 2 Euros we've arrived with the oldest side at the tournament.
    Young players just aren't coming through and we need to fix that.

At the end of the day we had a massive amount of fortune in qualifying. Georgia beating Scotland, Germany 4 points, only taking 2 points off Scotland and Poland and still qualifying, Fog in Bosnia where no one knew a goal had even been scored.....

We're a mid level nation that spent 10 years in the international wilderness before qualifying for the last Euros.
    That's the reality. Anything else is bull**** talk.

Maybe we beat, draw or lose to Italy but that won't fix our issues.

Absolute b'****, Ireland are capable of winning this game, however small it may be.
    To say our only hope is if Italy throw the game is nonsense of the highest order. We have a lot more positive factors that will aid us going into this game than we had against Belgium, as I pointed out a few posts ago. I always targetted this game as a better opportunity after Italy beat Belgium and although my optimism has been badly affected, I certainly havent resorted to the attitude that our only hope is Italy purposefully losing!!!

In fact the players that go out against us will be, for the most part, not the first 11 and will be pressing harder so as to try force the manager to reconsider their place in the first 11.

I didn't say it was our 'only hope', I said it was the best thing we could hope for. Of course there's also the hope that Ireland find another gear and Italy aren't all that bothered. It's not a hugely likely thing, but a hope also.

I didn't say it was our 'only hope', I said it was the best thing we could hope for. Of course there's also the hope that Ireland find another gear and Italy aren't all that bothered. It's not a hugely likely thing, but a hope also.

Fair enough, lost in translation!! I still believe its nonsense though! The truth is there isnt a hope of Italy PURPOSEFULLY throwing the game under that line of reasoning you gave, there may be a chance they will not take it as seriously, obviously but thats a completely different thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think everyone was hoping for a positive result. If some people have a sing song in the face of defeat, is that not better than going mad and wrecking the place like some sets of fans have been wont to do through the years?

Thats just one extreme to the other. The middle ground of being pissed off and dissappointed is pretty justified.

Fair enough, lost in translation!! I still believe its nonsense though! The truth is there isnt a hope of Italy PURPOSEFULLY throwing the game under that line of reasoning you gave, there may be a chance they will not take it as seriously, obviously but thats a completely different thing!

I wouldn't say they'd ever purposefully throw a game, but they might just go out for a kickabout, and not be too bothered if Ireland can sneak a goal, and Ireland getting the win would likely knock out Sweden who, although comparable to Ireland in most aspects, have a star player that could always make a difference in the tournament.

Regardless, Italy are nailed on as group winners even if they lost the Ireland game by a million goals, so it'll be interesting to see how it affects their mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think if we meet Belgium in final we would give them a better game.

I think if we meet Belgium in final we would give them a better game.

I think we have to concentrate on beating the Germans in the semi first right now. Can't take that game for granted, no matter our form against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Buffon, Giorgio Chiellini, Eder, Daniele De Rossi and Leonardo Bonucci are all on yellows so they will probably be rested.

I never buy into the notion that their backups will be easier to beat. The backups will be wanting to put on a show for Conte with the hopes of being selected in the next rounds.

I wouldn't say they'd ever purposefully throw a game, but they might just go out for a kickabout, and not be too bothered if Ireland can sneak a goal, and Ireland getting the win would likely knock out Sweden who, although comparable to Ireland in most aspects, have a star player that could always make a difference in the tournament.

Regardless, Italy are nailed on as group winners even if they lost the Ireland game by a million goals, so it'll be interesting to see how it affects their mentality.

Your quote!!

[I]he best thing we could hope for is if Italy were to take a 'tactical' loss, that by going easy on Ireland, they put Ireland in a position that knock out another team that would pose more danger, later on in the competition,[/I]

I'm sure it was half tongue in cheek but it was what i responded to!!

Anyway, I genuinely think we have a chance of beating them, not a great chance nor even a good chance. So many factors going our way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I think we have to concentrate on beating the Germans in the semi first right now. Can't take that game for granted, no matter our form against them.

If I could thank this post a million times I would.

Genuine Lol :pac:

Your quote!!

he best thing we could hope for is if Italy were to take a 'tactical' loss, that by going easy on Ireland, they put Ireland in a position that knock out another team that would pose more danger, later on in the competition,

I genuinely think we have a chance of beating them, not a great chance nor even a good chance. So many factors going our way.

Yeah, I said going easy on Ireland. I didn't say they'd turn around and kick the ball into their own net. Ireland might still fail to score, but if they did get a goal, maybe Italy wouldn't be too bothered.

• Advertisement

FatherTed wrote: »
    Buffon, Giorgio Chiellini, Eder, Daniele De Rossi and Leonardo Bonucci are all on yellows so they will probably be rested.

I never buy into the notion that their backups will be easier to beat. The backups will be wanting to put on a show for Conte with the hopes of being selected in the next rounds.

I agree but would you prefer to face a first 11 going out to win or a team already through with the majority of such that arent first choice? Noone says they will be easy to beat, but I definitely would say EASIER

The players you referred to would be big losses in an Italian team needing to win to progress or get a kinder draw.

If I could thank this post a million times I would.

Genuine Lol :pac:

No laughter or fun allowed on this thread!! We are a country in mourning!

Consider youself banned from any Ireland Euro 16 related thread for reasons of happiness or having a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Lot of scapegoating going on here. Delaney, O'Neill, Trapattoni, Keane etc.

We weren't good enough and a lot of people got carried away after Sweden. You can criticise O'Neill and Trap but with what they have and had available to them, they're doing as well as can be expected on paper. Belgium have some frightening talent.

On the culture in this country, it would be great if it changed. This isn't just about putting kids on a 5 aside pitch with smaller goals. Someone said earlier that this isn't about Glenn Whelan or whoever being able to pass the ball 5 or 10 yards. It's being able to do it under ridiculous pressure and with little or no space. That's absolutely right but just as important it's about players realising that its not the man with the ball that's the most important one. It's his team mates who need to provide angles and options for a pass. It's about their movement as much as anything.

I saw Ward get the ball at left back yesterday with two Belgians on him. He had absolutely no pass on so he whacked it in Long's direction. That's all he could do. Long had 2 or 3 Belgians around him and the ball at head height. He had no Irish player within 25 yards of him. So even in the unlikely event he controls the ball, he has to hold off a couple of Belgians long enough for Hoolahan or someone to support him. And it all came from Ward not having an option to pass to.

To change our mindset/culture will take 10 to 15 years. It might mean that, like Belgium, we qualify for little or nothing for a long time. I'm not sure that we have the vision or patience for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

UDAWINNER wrote: »

It's not about a "sing-song". I've sang my heart out before as it was breaking after a result. It's part of showing that "you'll never beat the Irish" mentality I've always loved. You might beat us on the pitch but you won't come close to breaking our spirit. We'll keep our heads up. There's always the next game. And we'll go into it as optimistic as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

No laughter or fun allowed on this thread!! We are a country in mourning!

Consider youself banned from any Ireland Euro 16 related thread for reasons of happiness or having a laugh!

No backseat modding! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement