Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group E - Belgium vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE & ITV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

DeanAustin wrote: »

To change our mindset/culture will take 10 to 15 years. It might mean that, like Belgium, we qualify for little or nothing for a long time. I'm not sure that we have the vision or patience for that.

If you're the kind of person who likes to say that a person might witness only 20 World Cups in their lifetime, then patience is probably not a virtue possessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Gavlor wrote: »
    You are very wrong here, maybe Ill-informed due to living abroad but for all his annoyances john Delaney does great work for grass roots football, kids football in particular. It's the only reason he has retained his position of power within the fai.

Grass roots football?? Compare the League of Ireland with the Scottish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

briany wrote: »
    There wasn't one. The greatest win Ireland had over a team under Trap was really the 0-4 away win to Estonia, in competitive play, anyway. And all these people at the end of Trap's reign were saying, "I don't care if Ireland gets beaten in every game, I just want to see them play football, or attempt to do so." Under Trap, Ireland had absolutely no capability of beating a half-decent side. At least this has progressed under O'Neill, and Trap's Ireland would have taken a tonking from Belgium as well. Even worse, possibly, given the greater ease Belgium would have in playing through Ireland's midfield.

Trap was a good hand to right Ireland's sinking ship, but his vision for Ireland's game was a total dead-end, in the end.

I'm not a Trapp fan (or MON either), but I'd consider Paris '09 to be an Irish victory as it was inside 90 mins. The great performance was largely overshadowed by the handball that followed in ET, and Duff's miss when one on one. Although I still wonder how much Trapp had to do with that performance or was it the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Lot of scapegoating going on here. Delaney, O'Neill, Trapattoni, Keane etc.

We weren't good enough and a lot of people got carried away after Sweden. You can criticise O'Neill and Trap but with what they have and had available to them, they're doing as well as can be expected on paper. Belgium have some frightening talent.

On the culture in this country, it would be great if it changed. This isn't just about putting kids on a 5 aside pitch with smaller goals. Someone said earlier that this isn't about Glenn Whelan or whoever being able to pass the ball 5 or 10 yards. It's being able to do it under ridiculous pressure and with little or no space. That's absolutely right but just as important it's about players realising that its not the man with the ball that's the most important one. It's his team mates who need to provide angles and options for a pass. It's about their movement as much as anything.

I saw Ward get the ball at left back yesterday with two Belgians on him. He had absolutely no pass on so he whacked it in Long's direction. That's all he could do. Long had 2 or 3 Belgians around him and the ball at head height. He had no Irish player within 25 yards of him. So even in the unlikely event he controls the ball, he has to hold off a couple of Belgians long enough for Hoolahan or someone to support him. And it all came from Ward not having an option to pass to.

To change our mindset/culture will take 10 to 15 years. It might mean that, like Belgium, we qualify for little or nothing for a long time. I'm not sure that we have the vision or patience for that.

in fairness to Ward he did put his head up and try a few times to get the ball forward and reach a player. One particular long ground level pass that bypassed the Belgian defence and reached Long was very good. He also stood up to de Bruyne as best he could (not good enough unfortunately) and through himself at shots and crosses when that left side of ours was being targetted. de Bruyne, Hazard, Witsel, Carrasco, impossible ask.

You cant say he didnt try and was probably one of our better players (although not a standard set to be that proud of, of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

in fairness to Ward he did put his head up and try a few times to get the ball forward and reach a player. One particular long ground level pass that bypassed the Belgian defence and reached Long was very good. He also stood up to de Bruyne as best he could (not good enough unfortunately) and through himself at shots and crosses when that left side of ours was being targetted. de Bruyne, Hazard, Witsel, Carrasco, impossible ask.

You cant say he didnt try and was probably one of our better players (although not a standard set to be that proud of, of course)

I'm not having a pop at Ward at all although I don't particularly rate him. My point was that he had no options for a pass. All he could do was whack it long and leave Shane Long with no chance and no support.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I'm not a Trapp fan (or MON either), but I'd consider Paris '09 to be an Irish victory as it was inside 90 mins.

It's debatable. It was a two-game fixture for one thing, so you can look at victory/defeat being a thing decided over 180 minutes as well. Although the handball was detestable, the period of pressure that even allowed it to happen was, yet again, a result of an Irish retreat, inviting France on. That French team was there for the taking if you ask me. They were an absolute shambles of themselves at the 2010 WC.

I'm not having a pop at Ward at all although I don't particularly rate him. My point was that he had no options for a pass. All he could do was whack it long and leave Shane Long with no chance and no support.

oh, no I didnt think you were. He is the sort of player that will never get much praise so I thought Id just mention that, however small it may be! Sometimes its nice to acknowledge these. But he was outclassed as expected yesterday sadly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I think with the Ireland players, their ability and mentality suits their premiership teams, but we don't have a good balance in the team. McCarthy and Whelan do not compliment each other, ideally it would be one or the other. Coleman is good but he's a right back, there is only so much he can do. Long is good but isolated and with no support he isn't going to cause much problems, even the crem de la crem would struggle in his boots. Hoolihan has skills but tbh imo I don't think he has enough to be worthy of an AM role, ideally he'd play deeper beside Whelan or McCarthy. We need a lot stronger wingers than we currently have because our system is so reliant on having direct, fast players, McGeady, McClean, Brady have alright pace(well McGeady did) but not fast enough to be truly effective.

How funny would it be if we beat Italy and Swedes somehow beat Belgium, and they were eliminated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I'm not a Trapp fan (or MON either), but I'd consider Paris '09 to be an Irish victory as it was inside 90 mins. The great performance was largely overshadowed by the handball that followed in ET, and Duff's miss when one on one. Although I still wonder how much Trapp had to do with that performance or was it the players.

I always struggle to understand the level of negativity that is aimed at Trap. The France and Estonia away performances under Trap were up there with the best performances I have ever seen from the RoI. They controlled the game from start to finish on both occasions. The only performance of note under the current regime, was a ridiculously fortunate victory over Germany at home. The away point against a German team who was suffering from a WC hangover, was another 'backs to the wall' job. You failed to beat the Scots and the Poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Why can't people accept that S. Korea finished 4th in the 2002 World Cup? Especially considering the referees carried Spain to a World Cup title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    What annoys me is the idiots singing the fields of athenry when we're geeting thrashed and those playing up to the cameras. Other fans are there for the foorball while a lot of irish fans seem to be more interested in the sing song. i cetainly had no reason to sintive resultg or smile yesterday but then i like a lot of proper fans were hoping for a positive result and not a f***ing sing song

Incredible comment.

764dak wrote: »
    Why can't people accept that S. Korea finished 4th in the 2002 World Cup? Especially considering the referees carried Spain to a World Cup title.

Those People that have this vendetta against the South Koreans are so bitter because they have no seoul.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

764dak wrote: »

LEGIT, I was actually called out for saying this. That was the biggest example of a team just getting by on high workrate, passion, determination and pride, they really deserved a final place.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAz_x7hS2m4

The ref must have been to blame for Panucci and Italy's terrible defending.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Possibly, the next shirt deal will tell a lot.

The IRFU were able to get 2.5 million per annum from O2, 3 were paying half that to the FAI.

The IRFU shirt deal jumps to 5 million per annum from Vodafone...wonder will the FAI also be able to get near.

Yep but that's not the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Berserker wrote: »
    I always struggle to understand the level of negativity that is aimed at Trap. The France and Estonia away performances under Trap were up there with the best performances I have ever seen from the RoI. They controlled the game from start to finish on both occasions.

The level of negativity from fans is largely due to Trap's negative approach and freezing out players like Hoolihan who had something positive to contribute. Those 2 performances were outliers in his reign, rather than the norm. The teams confidence was at an all-time low after the last Euros and he had to go. Unfortunately though, I think MON is nearly as negative as Trap was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Berserker wrote: »
    I always struggle to understand the level of negativity that is aimed at Trap. The France and Estonia away performances under Trap were up there with the best performances I have ever seen from the RoI. They controlled the game from start to finish on both occasions. The only performance of note under the current regime, was a ridiculously fortunate victory over Germany at home. The away point against a German team who was suffering from a WC hangover, was another 'backs to the wall' job. You failed to beat the Scots and the Poles.

The result in Estonia was down to a complete collapse by the Estonians, 2 red cards & a penalty(or was it 2 penalties?)

Both managers had to deal with poor squads and did quite well, the only real difference for me is the MON doesn't seem to alienate players the way Trap did & he sets the team up slightly more attacking than Trap did.

The team is short on players with footballing intelligence & completely devoid of leadership and without these we're going to come up short against any decent side.

We have a chance against Italy if we out work them and they have an off day but despite the efforts put in by the team and management our lack of quality will be a massive handicap going into any game at a tournament like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

RoryMac wrote: »
    The result in Estonia was down to a complete collapse by the Estonians, 2 red cards & a penalty(or was it 2 penalties?)

Both managers had to deal with poor squads and did quite well, the only real difference for me is the MON doesn't seem to alienate players the way Trap did & he sets the team up slightly more attacking than Trap did.

The team is short on players with footballing intelligence & completely devoid of leadership and without these we're going to come up short against any decent side.

We have a chance against Italy if we out work them and they have an off day but despite the efforts put in by the team and management our lack of quality will be a massive handicap going into any game at a tournament like this

Does he though? when have we actually played good football under O'Neill?

Or when was the last time an O'Neill side played good football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Mec27 wrote: »
    They have a team of benchwarmers and Bundesliga 2 players but whatever suits your agenda. They are comparable to us.

Long and Coleman are above average.

And they have one point from 2 games.Same as ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

naughtb4 wrote: »

The football the other night was the worst style of football I've seen from any team at that level for a very long time. Say what you want about Andorra, but I find it hard to see them time wasting 10 minutes in, and they certainly wouldnt qualify for a major tournament. To see that sort of crap at a major tournament is embarrassing, we deserved to be hammered for that alone.

Neutrals will be happy to see us gone, we play the worst football in the tournament. Our players can barely string 3 passes together without sheer panic or mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Was obvious Belgium would win. Sure their miles better then Ireland. Had the lukaku to score first & Belgium 3-0 scorecast so I'm delighted they were hockeyed haha

Was obvious Belgium would win. Sure their miles better then Ireland. Had the lukaku to score first & Belgium 3-0 scorecast so I'm delighted they were hockeyed haha

Pathetic

Pathetic

Your just jealous haha

simpleton. absolute simpleton.

Your just jealous haha

Gosh.

I wish I picked a really successful team to follow, and then I could laugh at how everyone was jealous of "our" success. Like you did. But with national sides it just doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Pathetic
    simpleton. absolute simpleton.

:confused:

His bet came in. Of course he's delighted. I predicated 3-1 Belgium myself and I'm disappointed that I allowed my heart to dictate my prediction that Ireland would score. Belgium are an excellent side with world class talent all over the pitch and they were treating that game as seriously as they would the final. A must win.

Ireland still have a great chance against Italy however due to the way the group has panned out. And if they can't get the win on Wednesday then really they don't deserve to get out of the group. Simple as that really. I don't mind too much either way, but I do care about the popularity of the game in this country and so I'll be hoping they do pull out a win. Just to get some support for the game in general and encourage young people to get into it as opposed to the parish sports.

• Advertisement

Gosh.

I wish I picked a really successful team to follow, and then I could laugh at how everyone was jealous of "our" success. Like you did. But with national sides it just doesn't work like that.

You wish? Whats stopping you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

naughtb4 wrote: »

I didn't say we played better football just that the team was set up slightly more attacking using guys like Holohan.

He stands out in our team as a player comfortable on the ball & one that will make himself available to receive it, most of our other midfielders especially Whelan & McCarthy look terrified of the ball and hide rather then give their teammates an option.

Not much Trap or MON can do about that as there aren't better players available for selection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Gosh.

Of course it does. I support the team in any tournament that is playing the best football. Really enjoyed some of the football Belgium played against Ireland yesterday. The only reason I'd like Ireland to do well is for the atmosphere in the country which would be cool, and the sport would receive some much needed and deserved attention after the recent rugby love in and the usual gaa fanaticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    What annoys me is the idiots singing the fields of athenry when we're geeting thrashed and those playing up to the cameras. Other fans are there for the foorball while a lot of irish fans seem to be more interested in the sing song. i cetainly had no reason to sintive resultg or smile yesterday but then i like a lot of proper fans were hoping for a positive result and not a f***ing sing song

That's a load of rubbish. You see it all the time in football. If Liverpool were losing 3-0 with a couple of minutes left they will still belt out YNWA. I remember watching United in the absolute pits under Moyes singing their hearts out, the one song for about 20 minutes solid, it was hair raising stuff.

What do you want them to do? Hang their heads in shame and shut up? What message would that send to the players?
    It's times like that when you need the fans to show the team they're still behind them. Ever hear the chant "you only sing when you're winning"? That's a dig at the very people you want the fans to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Your just jealous haha

Gosh.

Oi! Didn't you become a Leeds fan in the days of Billy Bremner, Johnny Giles etc when they were the top dogs in England? :p

Jokes aside though completely agree with you, pathetic sentiment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Mec27 wrote: »
    LEGIT, I was actually called out for saying this. That was the biggest example of a team just getting by on high workrate, passion, determination and pride, they really deserved a final place.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAz_x7hS2m4

The ref must have been to blame for Panucci and Italy's terrible defending.:rolleyes:
    A Trap team again. LOL. It's not a matter of having a go at a mangerial legend such as Trappatoni. It is more around pointing out that even Trappatoni could only do so much with this squad, and the squad were stronger in 2010/2012 than it is now.
    Dunphy and co. were trolling the average punter up and down the country trying to convince everyone we have great players and that we should be expecting a result against the disjointed Belgians. The squad is extremely limited and has been for nearly ten years now. Ireland's fifa ranking is similar to czech republic (lucky not to be destroyed by spain and croatia) and turkey (who were destroyed by spain in the game before belgium beat Ireland 3-0)

Canadel wrote: »
    :confused:

His bet came in. Of course he's delighted. I predicated 3-1 Belgium myself and I'm disappointed that I allowed my heart to dictate my prediction that Ireland would score. Belgium are an excellent side with world class talent all over the pitch and they were treating that game as seriously as they would the final. A must win.

Ireland still have a great chance against Italy however due to the way the group has panned out. And if they can't get the win on Wednesday then really they don't deserve to get out of the group. Simple as that really. I don't mind too much either way, but I do care about the popularity of the game in this country and so I'll be hoping they do pull out a win. Just to get some support for the game in general and encourage young people to get into it as opposed to the parish sports.

He took pleasure in getting a few euro and watching us getting "hockeyed" because he won a bloody bet!!

And then he comes on to a match thread to gloat about it!

I stand by my words. Absolute simpleton! whatever about backing against them as in fairness they were great odds, why take utter delight out of your national side being hockeyed! Would he be equally distraught if they won and he lost his few euro.

But maybe he doesnt like soccer, which I guess would be reasonable.

Still f off to a gambling thread and gloat! He is just trolling doing what he is doing, knowing he will provoke a reaction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The football the other night was the worst style of football I've seen from any team at that level for a very long time. Say what you want about Andorra, but I find it hard to see them time wasting 10 minutes in, and they certainly wouldnt qualify for a major tournament. To see that sort of crap at a major tournament is embarrassing, we deserved to be hammered for that alone.

Neutrals will be happy to see us gone, we play the worst football in the tournament. Our players can barely string 3 passes together without sheer panic or mistakes.

O'Neill basically has an international team playing in the style of Wycombe Wanderers, his first club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That's a load of rubbish. You see it all the time in football. If Liverpool were losing 3-0 with a couple of minutes left they will still belt out YNWA. I remember watching United in the absolute pits under Moyes singing their hearts out, the one song for about 20 minutes solid, it was hair raising stuff.

What do you want them to do? Hang their heads in shame and shut up? What message would that send to the players?
    It's times like that when you need the fans to show the team they're still behind them. Ever hear the chant "you only sing when you're winning"? That's a dig at the very people you want the fans to be.

I disagree with that. We are talking international football here. It doesn't afford a week after week opportunity to redeem, unless it's in a finals competition.

Irish fans need to send a message and a very honest message. We are sliding towards complete and utter destruction in the next few years. We will be up (or down) there with San Marino etc. very shortly. The whipping boys of Europe is a tag they may take on. This is a reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

Don't get the criticism of O'Neill for yesterday. He picked the players who are the most comfortable we have on the ball (Hoolahan, Brady in midfield, Hendrick.) He also said after the game he was disappointed that we didn't keep the ball better. Do people honestly think he told them to go out an keep giving the ball away ?. It wasn't about being under instructions yesterday to hoof it. The players just weren't able to pass the ball when it came down to it. I read somewhere earlier too where someone said O'Neill "**** his pants" when we took the lead against Sweden. Really ? People think he communicated to the players, fall back lads, panic, we're in front ? I just don't think any of that stacks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

trashcan wrote: »
    Don't get the criticism of O'Neill for yesterday. He picked the players who are the most comfortable we have on the ball (Hoolahan, Brady in midfield, Hendrick.) He also said after the game he was disappointed that we didn't keep the ball better. Do people honestly think he told them to go out an keep giving the ball away ?. It wasn't about being under instructions yesterday to hoof it. The players just weren't able to pass the ball when it came down to it. I read somewhere earlier too where someone said O'Neill "**** his pants" when we took the lead against Sweden. Really ? People think he communicated to the players, fall back lads, panic, we're in front ? I just don't think any of that stacks up.

It's an easy explanation though. Same as saying it's all Delaney's fault.

I'm not a big O'Neill fan but I can't really blame him for yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

We lack a cool head in midfield. Someone to put their foot on the ball and calm everything down.

NIMAN wrote: »
    O'Neill basically has an international team playing in the style of Wycombe Wanderers, his first club.

Its all he knows. He was a manager on the way down, sacked by Sunderland for nearly taking them down. Paulo Di Canio had to pick up the pieces that season to keep them up.

Lets see the calibre of club that takes him on after Ireland. Probably the likes of Wycombe. Trapatonni was at the end of the line with us aswell. We are where management careers come to an end. Look at what Brian Kerr and Steve Staunton done after Ireland. I'd say O'Neills best bet of a job will be on ITV if his agent works hard. Its sad but this is the level we now operate at, people hoping Italy throw the match against us because it is our only hope of victory :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Its all he knows. He was a manager on the way down, sacked by Sunderland for nearly taking them down. Paulo Di Canio had to pick up the pieces that season to keep them up.

Lets see the calibre of club that takes him on after Ireland. Probably the likes of Wycombe. Trapatonni was at the end of the line with us aswell. We are where management careers come to an end. Look at what Brian Kerr and Steve Staunton done after Ireland. I'd say O'Neills best bet of a job will be on ITV if his agent works hard. Its sad but this is the level we now operate at, people hoping Italy throw the match against us because it is our only hope of victory :(

While the management situation is far from perfect, let's not lose sight of the ultimate issue - we don't have the players.

trashcan wrote: »

Finally, someone talking a bit of sense.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    I spent time in Egypt growing up and played football there. I still remember the first time I watched an 'organised' football match in Ireland and it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. Fair enough, I played in the youth teams of a professional football club with professional coaches, so I would not expect things to be as organised, but it was strange to watch. Even back then as a kid I looked at it and said "this isn't right...".

It was an U12s game. There was absolutely no structure and you had 22 kids playing on a full size pitch ALL chasing the ball around. If the ball was near a corner flag, there was 10+ kids in that part of the pitch trying to win it. The forward was the biggest player on the team and the ball was just hoofed forward. Anytime a defender had the ball, I still remember hearing the parents/coach shout to 'get it clear' immediately.

This stuff is still happening today.

Great insight and you were coming from a whole new perspective too having seen how its done in another country.

I was once told by my own uncle aged 11 coming on for the second half that i have 30 mins to prove myself :D

Im from a small village in a GAA mad parish and we wouldnt be a great club by any means although we've come on a bit recently. the sad thing is that this shíte probably goes on in the bigger clubs around Clonmel, Tipp Town, Carrick, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I was once told by my own uncle aged 11 coming on for the second half that i have 30 mins to prove myself :D

Did you?

Sunderland are a train wreck. Your criticising MON for a club that Steve Bruce, Di Canio, Poyet, Advocat have all failed in?? Nonsense. Big Sam has done well so far but may fall the same way yet although I think he's probably the right man for the job though as he'll put a rocket up their arse.

O'neills done ok with both Leicester and Celtic winning trophies for both. Was well respected and Stan Collymore particularly enjoyed his management having come from a sour player-management relationship with John Gregory. O'neill also done a great job with Villa. They have fell asunder under Mcleish, Houllier, Lambert, Sherwood and Garde since he left.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Did you?

:D lol. the rest as they say is history.......i didnt :( :pac:

I was skilful but i was light and to be honest i found it hard to get game time. I probably lacked aggression....long term i suppose they couldnt see me hacking a cold night at the Britannia/Bet 365 stadium :D

O'Neill threw his toys out of the pram at Villa when they stopped handing him a blank cheque book because he pissed it away on mediocre over priced rubbish. Ask Villa and Sunderland fans their opinion on him, it will tell the story. And lets be fair its over 16 years ago since he last managed Leicester City, they have also come a long way from the O'Neill days. Its 11 years since he managed Celtic, he done well there but football has moved on and he hasnt.

Its time for O'Neill to go tbh, but the FAI havent the stones to do it. We will be stuck looking at this rubbish for a while yet, he may well be ousted in the next campaign if he doesnt make big changes (he wont). The danger for O'Neill now is people are expecting us to possibly top the World Cup group and go to Russia. I really cannot see us qualifying based on the mess we currently are. We are seeded 4th and will probably finish there. The damage will be done and action will only be taken when the country realises we wont be heading to Moscow for another Jolly Boys Outing.

Dark times ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

O'Neill threw his toys out of the pram at Villa when they stopped handing him a blank cheque book because he pissed it away on mediocre over priced rubbish. Ask Villa and Sunderland fans their opinion on him, it will tell the story. And lets be fair its over 16 years ago since he last managed Leicester City, they have also come a long way from the O'Neill days. Its 11 years since he managed Celtic, he done well there but football has moved on and he hasnt.

Its time for O'Neill to go tbh, but the FAI havent the stones to do it. We will be stuck looking at this rubbish for a while yet, he may well be ousted in the next campaign if he doesnt make big changes (he wont). The danger for O'Neill now is people are expecting us to possibly top the World Cup group and go to Russia. I really cannot see us qualifying based on the mess we currently are. We are seeded 4th and will probably finish there. The damage will be done and action will only be taken when the country realises we wont be heading to Moscow for another Jolly Boys Outing.

Dark times ahead

Out of interest who should replace him and what are the changes that they should make? I look at our squad and it mediocre, worst in my lifetime. Expecting us to match the likes of Belgium at the moment is not realistic.

When you have mediocre players and you are playing far superior opposition you have to set up defensively and be organised and hope to nick a goal on the counter or from a set piece. I really doubt any manager would have set us up differently the last day. Can the manager really be blamed for the individual errors that led to the goals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Dark times ahead

11th,6th, 6th, 6th with Villa in four years. Net spend 80 million. Yeah he signed Harewood and Carew but also Downing, Milner, Young.

You seem pretty negative about a lot of things.

O'Neill, Ireland, qualifying, expectations, fans...

gosplan wrote: »
    11th,6th, 6th, 6th with Villa in four years. Net spend 80 million. Yeah he signed Harewood and Carew but also Downing, Milner, Young.

You seem pretty negative about a lot of things.

O'Neill, Ireland, qualifying, expectations, fans...

I would imagine the first 4 things are intertwined. Not negative about the fans they are our only saving grace. We are 4th seeds and its not a huge leap to think we will finish 4th. O'Neill is past his sell by date, this will be proved once again on Wednesday sadly.

mickeyk wrote: »
    Out of interest who should replace him and what are the changes that they should make? I look at our squad and it mediocre, worst in my lifetime. Expecting us to match the likes of Belgium at the moment is not realistic.

When you have mediocre players and you are playing far superior opposition you have to set up defensively and be organised and hope to nick a goal on the counter or from a set piece. I really doubt any manager would have set us up differently the last day. Can the manager really be blamed for the individual errors that led to the goals?

Its been outlined earlier in this thread but really there is no excuse for the other night, time wasting 10 minutes into a game, players in panic mode if they have the ball, and instructed to pump everything up to a totally isolated man. The subs could be written on a beer mat before the match, so predictable.

Tactically clueless, a monkey in a suit would do a better job. We came to lie down and die, and we got what we deserved. Its sad to see expectations are so low, are players are limited but we are capable of alot better than the other night. Belgium will be exposed again very soon in this tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

. O'neill also done a great job with Villa. They have fell asunder under Mcleish, Houllier, Lambert, Sherwood and Garde since he left.

With all due respect, it's a very short sighted way of describing O'Neills departure at Villa. O'Neill contributed quite a bit to the start of that downward spiral.

Advertisement