Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group E - Belgium vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE & ITV

1232425262729»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Green Fella, your obsession with insulting everything related to the Irish national team is a tad extreme. Even our fans and TV coverage!!

Yet you are calling other people hyperbolic!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 blukyt

I can see Sweden getting a result off Belgium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Green Fella, your obsession with insulting everything related to the Irish national team is a tad extreme. Even our fans and TV coverage!!

Yet you are calling other people hyperbolic!
    Criticised not insulted

I haven't criticised our fans either as far as I'm aware, the only saving grace of this nightmare. The TV coverage deserves to be called out for what it is, it is has slipped way back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The Belgians got the same breakaways against Italy as they did against us, but they cynically killed the momentum with great fouls. I'm still annoyed that McCarthy didn't send Hazard into the stands when he had the chance before the 1st goal, I think he pulled out of the tackle almost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

SantryRed wrote: »
    The Belgians got the same breakaways against Italy as they did against us, but they cynically killed the momentum with great fouls. I'm still annoyed that McCarthy didn't send Hazard into the stands when he had the chance before the 1st goal, I think he pulled out of the tackle almost.

The difference for me is the Italians had the Juve back line and De Rossi in front of them.

I

Thats just over the top hyperbole. If that comment is directed at me I havent claimed anything in regard Delaney, and I certainly never said we should definitely be beating Belgium.

I wont continue to repeat myself because I've voiced my thoughts over and over. But there is a big difference between expecting to beat Belgium, and being unhappy at time wasting ten minutes into a match playing horrific football, lieing down and dying in front of the tournament. Belgium are nothing special, they will be exposed again and will probably go home in the last 16. But thats not the point, the point is we are capable of much much better than this San Marino level stuff and mentality we are seeing.

I wont accept we arent better than the Belgium performance. I could put my heads in hands talking about grassroots football, schoolboy pitches and Athlone Town, those are all issues I have discussed and but secondary while we are in the tournament. We heard it all 4 years ago and nothing has been done.

If expecting better than the Belgium performance means I know nothing about football, then that is very sad to hear and I fear for the future of football in this country if that is acceptable and what is to come.

I think not shipping an early goal was a perfectly fine tactic to employ.

The problem was when we came out a bit and then conceded the first.

but it was very clear that the plan for the first 30-35 mins was don't concede. I don't think there's a problem with that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 blukyt

Lets not forget what the Italians did when they had the ball. The didn't hoof it aimlessly. There was a method to their counter attacks.

blukyt wrote: »
    Lets not forget what the Italians did when they had the ball. The didn't hoof it aimlessly. There was a method to their counter attacks.

No, that's fair enough. I had a big problem with that approach in that you need a sensible out ball rather than just clearing it. Perhaps it was thought Long would challenge better against the defenders but they just took turns bashing him.

What I have a problem with is this...

It's one game. N.Iron were awful in their first game, god awful, no attacking. We should have won ours.

fast forward a week and they're how a team should be run and managed whereas everything with us is wrong.

I think people are guilty or extrapolating way too many definites from a single match.

We played badly, we lost.

You can take that as it is without having a weekend long conversation about what's wrong from top to bottom in the setup.

We have had some good performances under MON. Last week wasn't good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

SantryRed wrote: »

While I dont believe we would have beaten Belgium, the example you pointed out above is really spot on. I knew the second McCarthy didn't send Hazard into the crowd that Goal was written all over the move. I wasn't very popular when I did a George Hamilton and said "Danger here". But FFS McCarthy tiddled him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It's one game. N.Iron were awful in their first game, god awful, no attacking. We should have won ours.

fast forward a week and they're how a team should be run and managed whereas everything with us is wrong.

I think people are guilty or extrapolating way too many definites from a single match.

We played badly, we lost.

You can take that as it is without having a weekend long conversation about what's wrong from top to bottom in the setup.

We have had some good performances under MON. Last week wasn't good.

I totally agree, there are so many debates where I dont even know what to think anymore! Like I said earlier, football can be a fine line, had we held onto win against Sweden, people would be banging a different drum. The difference between a great performance and a poor one, is one Ciaran Clarke header, funny ha? They havent even had a shot on target yet for god sake!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I totally agree, there are so many debates where I dont even know what to think anymore! Like I said earlier, football can be a fine line, had we held onto win against Sweden, people would be banging a different drum. The difference between a great performance and a poor one, is one Ciaran Clarke header, funny ha? They havent even had a shot on target yet for god sake!

The fact that we needed to "hold on" against Sweden says it all really. We drew against a poor Swedish team. Ciaran Clarke is not responsible for the difference between a great performance and a poor one. The performance became poor once we went ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The fact that we needed to "hold on" against Sweden says it all really. We drew against a poor Swedish team. Ciaran Clarke is not responsible for the difference between a great performance and a poor one. The performance became poor once we went ahead
    but this is the thing with the lack of a middle ground, if we didnt concede the OG, the performance would certainly not have been described as poor...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    but this is the thing with the lack of a middle ground, if we didnt concede the OG, the performance would certainly not have been described as poor...

There is no middle ground in the game only in the debate afterwards. Had we held onto the lead, there would be lots of debate about how shocking we were after we scored. That's a fact.

Advertisement