Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DESCENDING

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Dónal wrote: »
    Wicklow Gap into Laragh, 81.5kph one fine day. My buddy with me got 81.9kph.

Not as fast as most here, 74kph Wicklow gap towards Hollywood, 72kph towards Laragh, Poorer road surface, but my current favourite Wicklow descent is this one. Quite long, good sight lines and very little traffic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

smacl wrote: »
    Not as fast as most here, 74kph Wicklow gap towards Hollywood, 72kph towards Laragh, Poorer road surface, but my current favourite Wicklow descent is this one. Quite long, good sight lines and very little traffic.

Hard to place that based on the link. I can't switch out of street view on my phone. Where is it?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Brian? wrote: »
    Hard to place that based on the link. I can't switch out of street view on my phone. Where is it?

Between Blessington and Laragh AFAIK, heading in the Laragh direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

Think it's the descent of this climb or the descent after that climb towards Valleymount?
    https://www.strava.com/segments/890414

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

about 17 months into cycling and have to say I dread descending. Max I've hit is 55ish. Easily done that on the flat at some points and no bother on me. I've only really started using the drops but still feels unnatural to me. Hopefully the nerves will go eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thud wrote: »
    Think it's the descent of this climb or the descent after that climb towards Valleymount?
    https://www.strava.com/segments/890414

Thats the one

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    about 17 months into cycling and have to say I dread descending. Max I've hit is 55ish. Easily done that on the flat at some points and no bother on me. I've only really started using the drops but still feels unnatural to me. Hopefully the nerves will go eventually.

Im with you. If the road in front of me isn't relatively clear of traffic and also relatively visible I just am not comfortable on a descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Hit 78.8 this morning coming into Glencullen on the way in to work (not just bragging about going over the hills as part of a casual commute ;) ) dry roads, new Swiss Stop blocks normally start to panic over 55...

Hit 78.8 this morning coming into Glencullen on the way in to work (not just bragging about going over the hills as part of a casual commute ;) ) dry roads, new Swiss Stop blocks normally start to panic over 55...

that's nice descent until you meet a car on one of the bends. if you can get a car to go ahead of you from the traffic lights in Glencullen to clear the way it helps unless they end up slowing you on the hill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

about 45-47kph down mount joseph on the way into the strawberry beds, the turtle nearly popped his head out!!!!

wont be doing that again.

#scaredasfcukofmillingmeself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Thud wrote: »
    that's nice descent until you meet a car on one of the bends. if you can get a car to go ahead of you from the traffic lights in Glencullen to clear the way it helps unless they end up slowing you on the hill

Not that stretch, coming into Glencullen from Cruagh lane, long straight stretch.

Not that stretch, coming into Glencullen from Cruagh lane, long straight stretch.

thought you meant the Glencullen to Blue church section

Advertisement