Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bag for bike when flying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

For flying you may as well wrap it in clingfilm than use that !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You need to check first that your airline will accept bags. Many insist on a proper bike box/heavy duty travel bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Call to your LBS, they might have a cardboard bike box you could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

RobFowl wrote: »
    For flying you may as well wrap it in clingfilm than use that !

There's a solid case to be made that, because baggage handlers can see it, they treat it better than a cased bike.

I used one for a trip to the Pyrenees a few years ago - Cork to Barcelona with AerLingus - with no issues. I was happy taking the chance on a relatively quiet, mid-week, direct flight and getting it through Cork airport is a breeze.

The last few times I've taken a bike on a plane, I've used a soft-shell case and I'm not sure if it offers significantly more protection. Plus it's a pain to handle in the airport and getting into a car.

I'm considering using a plastic bag again for Cork-Carcassone later this year. The other benefit was being able to cycle to and from the airport with just a bag on my back, no parking fees. Not to mention no messing around with putting it back together and dismantling it again for the return trip. All they require is dropping the handlebars and removing the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

drdeadlift wrote: »
    anyone know if this bag or something as cheap can be bought in Ireland?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ctc-cycling-uk-plastic-bike-bag/

Tia

Go to a furniture shop and ask for a bag that beds or mattresses are wrapped in. Usually massive plastic bags that are clear like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

sconhome wrote: »
    Go to a furniture shop and ask for a bag that beds or mattresses are wrapped in. Usually massive plastic bags that are clear like that.

I did exactly this for my PBP trip last summer. No problem at either airport apart from being told to deflate tyres on the way home. Had a load of cheap nespresso coffee pod boxes stuffed in with the bike on the homeward trip too.

I was seated on the plane overlooking the baggage handlers loading it and it got reasonable care and nothing thrown on top of it. I tied my helmet over the rear mech for a bit of protection when packing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

There's a solid case to be made that, because baggage handlers can see it, they treat it better than a cased bike.

I used one for a trip to the Pyrenees a few years ago - Cork to Barcelona with AerLingus - with no issues. I was happy taking the chance on a relatively quiet, mid-week, direct flight and getting it through Cork airport is a breeze.

The last few times I've taken a bike on a plane, I've used a soft-shell case and I'm not sure if it offers significantly more protection. Plus it's a pain to handle in the airport and getting into a car.

I'm considering using a plastic bag again for Cork-Carcassone later this year. The other benefit was being able to cycle to and from the airport with just a bag on my back, no parking fees. Not to mention no messing around with putting it back together and dismantling it again for the return trip. All they require is dropping the handlebars and removing the pedals.

Anyone else done this or am I mad? I'm thinking of bringing the "good" bike this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Anyone else done this or am I mad? I'm thinking of bringing the "good" bike this time.

I have one of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/brand-x-eva-bike-pod/rp-prod134710

I wouldn't consider bringing my "Good" bike in anything less!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I always use a bike box from LBS. Coming back is a bit more complicated. We try and end up in a place that provides bike boxes but we are always using different airports to come home from. If going out and returning from same airport I would go with 07lapierre and invest in a good bag.

The one time (last year) I used the airport plastic wrapping machine for the bike I ended up with a smashed helmet (whicjh I had put over derailleur).

Advertisement