Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newtownsandes Co op

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

What I would like to see is the debtor's figure for previous years. Has it been growing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jd04

It was always said "the wheel is big and it might take time to go around but it eventually gets there". For some people they have had to wait 20 years to get this far, It was once remarked to me that it was an ass and car committe I think he was perfectly right. What a remarkable 24 hours Ireland beat Italy and the farmers journal highlight Newtownsands co-op.
    Ear to the ground might come and do a report on the carry on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 hp90

did anyone watch 'Prime Time Investigates'. terrible news for Console as they are a great charity but how many corrupt CEOs destroy something good. never heard of a forensic accountant but he obviously is good at his job. where would you hire one of them i wonder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 olm12

yes saw the prime time investigates programme. great work done by them. obviously they were contacted about some 'irregularites' in the books. forensic accountants use their professional expertise in assignments involving, but not limited to: Fraud. A forensic accountant is usually engaged as a result of actual or anticipated disputes or litigation.

you learn something new everyday!

getting back to our co-op.. any new developments there.. does the gm have a vacant office to move into yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Any reaction on the ground to The Dealer ?

• Advertisement

liam7831 wrote: »
    Any reaction on the ground to The Dealer ?

excellent reaction to the FJ. local shop was sold out by 10am. tarbert and listowel hadn't enough copies either. it opened a lot of peoples eyes to what was going on. people now questioning why the retired manager is still controlling the co-op.
    the heat is on now and some of the board are sweating. i bet they are sorry that the chairman didn't take the farmers' request seriously.

olm12 wrote: »
    excellent reaction to the FJ. local shop was sold out by 10am. tarbert and listowel hadn't enough copies either. it opened a lot of peoples eyes to what was going on. people now questioning why the retired manager is still controlling the co-op.
    the heat is on now and some of the board are sweating. i bet they are sorry that the chairman didn't take the farmers' request seriously.

Good stuff hopefully ye can get some meaning action out of the publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bar Pressure

I heard a rumour that the former M.D. is stepping down from his consultancy post,any truth to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 F15

That would leave crisis situation who would do the post instead of the GM? And he is only there 30 something years and have to make a decision on his own

F15 wrote: »
    That would leave crisis situation who would do the post instead of the GM? And he is only there 30 something years and have to make a decision on his own

i'd give the gm a chance to prove himself. in all fairness he hasn't been allowed do anything since he got appointed as gm and even as assistant gm id say he made no decisions. as far as i know he has always been very fair and straight with the suppliers.

• Advertisement

Suppose if he starts using the GM office that will test if he can embrace change he must be able follow orders its surely time the Bord get the GM to drive things forward

• Registered Users Posts: 10 anotherservant

F15 wrote: »
    Suppose if he starts using the GM office that will test if he can embrace change he must be able follow orders its surely time the Bord get the GM to drive things forward

Is the gm not retirement age himself do. I felt with the last few years his presence only facilitated "the consultant" in his quest to keep control. Surely a more youthful invigoration is now required. its not as do we are in a position to move forward and develop anything quickly as so many opportunities have been let slip us by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bar Pressure

The Dealer article made GM look very weak,coop is paying handsomely for his services,he'll have to up his game

Time to test him out rise a bit of heat in him set targets

Is the gm not retirement age himself do. I felt with the last few years his presence only facilitated "the consultant" in his quest to keep control. Surely a more youthful invigoration is now required. its not as do we are in a position to move forward and develop anything quickly as so many opportunities have been let slip us by.

yes our retired gm let a lot of opportunities slip through his hands. newtownsands co-op were offered an eu grant to build a state-of-the-art cheese plant across from the creamery in that green field which is still green. that cheese plant would have been worth a fortune to the village. instead of we drawing milk to north cork they would be drawing it to moyvane. this cheese plant was subsequently built in newmarket in cork which was sold off to kerry co-op recently for millions. recently i spoke to a relation of mine who is a small farmer in rockchapel and he told me that he got €40k out of this deal and the bigger farmers got more. as well as the loss to all the newtownsandes share holders it was a big loss to the whole community.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 capall1

Friday night lads, would ye ever go out for a pint for yourselves instead of thinking ye might be able run a co-op.
    I wouldn't put ye running a birthday party!!!
    We have a great community, central to it is the co-op.
    I'm sure things can be improved as with any business.
    Support your co-op, and everyone benifits

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There are a lot of regrets, some old, some recent, across the dairy landscape of Ireland. don't spend too much time crying over spilt milk, (lousy pun).

You have certain advantages. You don't seem to be tied into long term MSA's. Ye have a choice of processors, possibly wider than you have even considered.
    That is now the envy of many dairy farmers.
    Except for the €550K loan have it got any borrowings?

I understand the need for new structures but perhaps by default, you are in a reasonable position with a lot of flexibility.
    Don't know the nature of your contracts.

Capall, that's like a line I heard from one of the West Cork Coops when there was a bit of bother, that issue with Kerry area connections. Board member said 'go home and look after yere farms and let the running of the coop to us'!

capall1 wrote: »
    Friday night lads, would ye ever go out for a pint for yourselves instead of thinking ye might be able run a co-op.

I think they are waiting about 30 years to improve, what does support your co-op and everyone benefits mean ?

No one's claiming they want to run the coop! We would all like to see it progress and not stagnate any further.! As for drinking a pint....speedys is great for the wifi! ;-)

Yes capall1 get out of the (ass and car) era this can be done from a barstool or any other place and yes everyone should support the co op because it belonging to all members and everyone needs to forget the illusion that the GM owns it he should be just an employee

• Advertisement

the gaa is more central to our community that the co-op ever could be.
    only for that moyvane would have nothing. that keeps the life in the village.
    if suppliers aren't supporting the co-op it is because its their way of
    protesting and if something doesn't change soon then i myself and a few more
    farmers will stop trading with the co-op altogether. there is no stock there when you need it and if a farmer looks for fertilizer or silage plastic they don't want to wait a few days for it.
    the only way that business will improve is for the 'retired' gm to be sent home for good and let our proper gm get on with running the business.

the co-op isn't competitively priced either. i was in moyvane yesterday and saw a truck load of water troughs and fence posts going up the Glin road and they were coming from a company in listowel. another day i was out leitrim middle and a truck from duagh passed with a pallet of feed and drain pipes and bags of sand. the listowel company is very new to this market and the duagh company started from nothing 10/15 years ago and look at the size of them now. both have yards full of stock and trucks constantly delivering around moyvane. the co-op need to smarten up and get this business which is on their doorstep.

hp90 wrote: »
    the co-op isn't competitively priced either. i was in moyvane yesterday and saw a truck load of water troughs and fence posts going up the Glin road and they were coming from a company in listowel. another day i was out leitrim middle and a truck from duagh passed with a pallet of feed and drain pipes and bags of sand. the listowel company is very new to this market and the duagh company started from nothing 10/15 years ago and look at the size of them now. both have yards full of stock and trucks constantly delivering around moyvane. the co-op need to smarten up and get this business which is on their doorstep.

DG cold called to alot of there west limerick non supplier customers recently drumming up business. Maybe one of the lads might be let out from the desk for a day to drum up a bit of business!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 oji

I was back in moyvane today I heard a rumour the gala shop is to close I hope that's not so it's very important to the village and the hinterland the hardware shop now is doing silage plastics has all water fittings piping fencing farm supplies it's a small area moyvane but per square km it must be as highly populated with dairy cows as any part of western Europe are there many young farmers there an old guy told me there could be upto 5000 cows in the catchment area that sound a lot that's a ready made business on that creamery s door step ? that's why you have these other companies thriving if they get a foot hold it will be hard to win back business

Excuse my ignorance but I wouldn't be up with the acronyms DG means

oji wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but I wouldn't be up with the acronyms DG means

A progressive cork based coop

Thanks r they good to deal with ?

oji wrote: »
    Thanks r they good to deal with ?

Im lead to believe that they are. Personally I have not purchased off them unless i was in there nearest super store. And what a selection they do stock there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The well known progressive Cork coop wouldn't be cold calling in their own area as they would be wasting their time and get very cool reception in a lot of yards.
    Many milk suppliers tied into MSA will conduct no trading with them.
    Purchasing groups really eating into their business also.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    The well known progressive Cork coop wouldn't be cold calling in their own area as they would be wasting their time and get very cool reception in a lot of yards.
    Many milk suppliers tied into MSA will conduct no trading with them.
    Purchasing groups really eating into their business also.

Out of curiosity did these same suppliers receive detailed msa contracts with t&c before they signed up or was it like the nts contract... This is the price and sure haven't we always looked after ye being the t&c's!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement