Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery noob

• 18-06-2016 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just after ordering a Pico with the 10% Fasttech code for today (DAD) - thanks to the people who highlighted that - came in at €21.93 using Revolut :)

Now I'm after my first 18650 batteries for it, and from reading here, I'll probably order from NKON..

The range of batteries has me stumped though!!

As I'm not sub-ohming (usually use coils around 1.7-1.9 ohms), am I right to say I just need to get the most mAh for my buck, and not worry about the Amp rating of the battery?

For example, I can get a 3500mAh LG 10A battery for a quid less than a
    3000mAh LG 20A battery
    Just want to ensure I'm not making a schoolboy error in my assumptions.. (and that I'm right in looking at flat-top rather than nipple-top batteries in the first place)?

Thanks in advance..

edit: oh Jeez - when I went to add to my cart, the cheaper battery had a warning box to tick to say 'I understand these batteries are not protected and can be dangerous', while the dearer one hadn't - what kind of rabbit hole am I going down!
    Can someone please give me a battery 101??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I think you should read up on '18650 battery safety' before you order anything.

No, you don't just order best mah bang for the buck.

18650s should be charged in a separate suitable charger. There are extra risks in doing so in the device.

For your use case, Samsung 30q or LG HG2 are probably the best recommendations.

10 amps is probably a bit too low, or borderline at best. Better to have some room for safety built in. Its probably more suited to use in torches.

These batteries are made for commercial/industrial uses. As in, inside power banks, power tool packs. So you need to be safe using them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Thanks moley - will do..

Have used 18350 button tops since I started vaping, but this is my first foray into 18650s..

I do have a charger already.

I thought because I wasn't sub-ohm, that the amp rating wasn't an issue as such..

Just for clarity, unprotected batteries are not to be considered would you say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

UsedToWait wrote:
    I thought because I wasn't sub-ohm, that the amp rating wasn't an issue as such..

Its more that you can't fully rely on the rating as stated by the manufacturer. For example the brand efest, sell batteries that are just rewraps of other main brands, and call them 40 amp, when in reality they are 20.

There is a guy called mooch who tests all the brands and models of batteries, if you can find a review of his on either of those batteries.

I'm not sure if the unprotected/protected makes the battery a bit taller or something. I recently ordered vtc5a's and had to check the box too. I just wouldn't be getting the ten amp anyway. For the sake of 500mah, its better to have some amp overhead than consistently push to the limit and degrade the overall life of the battery. See what it says about the 30qs, and if they are in stock.

Also if you are only buying a battery or two it might be better ordering from an Irish vendor. The postage from NKON can erode savings fairly quick on small orders. See if it's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Cheers - much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Get the Nitecore Intellicharger i4 for charging, and order some battery cases to store them in when outside the mod. And get good batteries as advised above, bang for buck can be quite literal!

sku_18074_4.jpg

1-1_I4_box.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement