Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I getting fired?

Options
  • 18-06-2016 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi , I'm currently working part time in my job for about 10 weeks now. My boss told me I was getting a slight raise in pay the other day but yesterday I was told to collect my p45.. I thought p45 was only given if your being fired or changing jobs which I'm not. Advice please thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Did he mean P60?

...Although it is June

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭idek1

Giblet wrote: »
    Did he mean P60?

...Although it is June

No p45, this is my first job and I really don't want to loose it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Who told you to collect your p45?

Stheno wrote: »
    Who told you to collect your p45?

My manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

P45 is end of employment, sadly. Did you not clarify it with him?

• Advertisement

P45 is end of employment, sadly. Did you not clarify it with him?

It was said so off hand to me last night I didn't think it was a big deal but when I googled it it seems a very big deal. I'm starting to panic

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,310 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hi OP. I've deleted your other threads as we prefer that people don't start threads in multiple forums about the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

idek1 wrote: »
    My manager

The same manager who told you you were getting a raise? Are you sure he wasn't just messing with you about the P45?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

It was said so off hand to me last night I didn't think it was a big deal but when I googled it it seems a very big deal. I'm starting to panic

By off hand do you think it may have been said in jest? It's just a bit weird if you were offered a pay rise and then told in an off hand way that you've to collect your p45.

alwaysadub wrote: »
    The same manager who told you you were getting a raise? Are you sure he wasn't just messing with you about the P45?

No the owner told me I was getting a raise but my manager told me my p45 was upstairs and to collect it today

• Advertisement

Tasden wrote: »
    By off hand do you think it may have been said in jest? It's just a bit weird if you were offered a pay rise and then told in an off hand way that you've to collect your p45.

No it was said in seriousness in front of a few employees but it was casual enough the way she said it

The only way you'll know is to go in and find out.
    Strangers on the internet can't tell you what's actually going on.

The only way you'll know is to go in and find out.
    Strangers on the internet can't tell you what's actually going on.

Just thought someone might have an idea, it's my first time in employment and I'm just panicking .. Can't face telling my family if I'm about to be fired

Just thought someone might have an idea, it's my first time in employment and I'm just panicking .. Can't face telling my family if I'm about to be fired

It's not the end of the world, though it seems like it at the time.
    I've been fired from jobs in my early career and made redundant twice in later years.
    You're best off checking and say that the owner told you that you were getting a pay rise so you're surprised at events.
    Try find out why. Can you talk to the owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Just make sure you clarify whats happening and why. And if you are being let go then keep things amicable because you never know what may happen in future.

Ended up being really unprofessional and messaging my manager on FB and asking what it meant and she told me it was all a joke omg my heart isn't well

Ended up being really unprofessional and messaging my manager on FB and asking what it meant and she told me it was all a joke omg my heart isn't well

Congrats ! But the manager needs a kick where the sun doesn't shine:)

Remove her from Facebook. You need to keep your social life separate from work and up its security to only allow friends see your profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I half thought it was a joke, but then I thought, "who the hell jokes like that about that sort of thing?" so I didn't say anything. I consider that abusive and hostile (unless they immediately say they were kidding), and I hope they don't make a habit of it. Good luck :)

Congrats ! But the manager needs a kick where the sun doesn't shine:)

Remove her from Facebook. You need to keep your social life separate from work and up its security to only allow friends see your profile.

They added me and told me I got the job on FB, I have restricted access up so it's grand but I do see where your coming from. It's not a career for me it's just a job whilst I get through college

Speedwell wrote: »
    I half thought it was a joke, but then I thought, "who the hell jokes like that about that sort of thing?" so I didn't say anything. I consider that abusive and hostile (unless they immediately say they were kidding), and I hope they don't make a habit of it. Good luck :)

Thanks a mill for all your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

They added me and told me I got the job on FB, I have restricted access up so it's grand but I do see where your coming from. It's not a career for me it's just a job whilst I get through college

What ever you do DO NOT REMOVE your manager from Facebook.

Once their in their in. I'd always recommend not connecting with them on Facebook but once their in and it wont look well to kick them out. You can however limit what they can see using Facebook privacy settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Yes.. your boss and most of your workmates (unless you kniw thrm realky really well!) need a group especially for themselves.
    For your own sake the two shouldn't overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Considering this thread, I'd say the joke worked :D

Obviously tone and stuff you can't convey properly here. But to be told you are getting a raise and then your P45 is upstairs, I kinda laughed when I read the OP.

Congrats on your payrise and what is likely good work your doing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Great that you got a pay rise, congratulations, you must be doing well in the job. The joke the manager played wasn't funny at all though as you got a shock. When I was a teenager in my first job I had a lot of 'jokes' played on me as I was an obvious greenhorn and an easy target. It's part of the world of work unfortunately, you come across some right idiots who think they can get away with this kind of tripe. Just move on and forget it. But be on your guard and take issue if it happens again. Best of luck!

Advertisement