Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which gym for an unfit newbie?

• 18-06-2016 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction please!

I want to join a gym but very nervous about it as I've never set foot in one before, am very unfit and I have about 4.5 stone to lose.

Thought of the gym fills me with fear and hope that someone could advise on one which might be good and not too packed or even on ones to avoid!

Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated.

I'm in the South Dublin area but might consider city centre also.

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Go near where you work or live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Go near where you work or live.

Pretty much. If it's far away or difficult to get to, you just won't go.

Also, go to the gym to get healthy.
    But address what and how much you eat to lose weight.

Its very hard to gym away a bad diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Hi Dashdoll - I'm not usually in this forum, but I identified with that description of 'unfit newbie' re gyms. Well I'm not an unfit newbie anymore, but I was last year, and I know what you mean about being nervous joining a gym.

I had this idea in my head that you'd nearly need to look somewhat fit to be in a gym - I know now that is absolutely daft. I also wondered what I would actually do in a gym - like what am I supposed to do? I didn't realise there'd be a personalised plan for me to work on. They'll help you with adjusting your diet too.

I'd say go for a gym with a pool. Sometimes it's nice to skip the workout and just have a swim.

Go along to your local gym that you've probably already thought of, ask them to show you around. They love showing people around. The fact that you want to join a gym is a step in the right healthy direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Where a outs south city are you? I guarantee I can recommend somewhere convenient that will look after you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Hanley wrote: »
    Where a outs south city are you? I guarantee I can recommend somewhere convenient that will look after you well.

Kimmage direction but have transport.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

dashdoll wrote: »
    Kimmage direction but have transport.

Thanks.

Isn't Ben Dunne's place there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Literally a 2 min walk from the kimmage crossroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Yep it's close to me but wondering what its like for a very nervous newbie?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Being nervous I'd fine

When you get there try to realise that no one and I do mean no one cares about how you look.

Meet with the staff and go through what you wish to achieve and where you would like to be I'm 1 months time.

They will show you what to do, give you a programme and advice on how to reach your goals.

Losing weight is going to be 20% exercise and 80% diet but with dedication and drive can be done.

You should also visit the health and fitness forum on here there are some great threads with a wealth of advice and theads full of people just like you who have the same hang ups.

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is just something you need to get over and has very little to do with which gym. They're all going to have newbies, and people who have been lifting for ten years. Get a trainer to show you around. No one cares what you're doing, they're there for their own work out, not to sit around judging newbies.

Unless you refuse to learn what you're supposed to do and instead run around acting the muppet. Then you'll be judged. Quietly, though.
    Meet with the staff and go through what you wish to achieve and where you would like to be I'm 1 months time.

They will show you what to do, give you a programme and advice on how to reach your goals.

Yeah I don't think Ben Dunne is going to do this unless you pay for a personal trainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Zillah wrote: »

Yeah I don't think Ben Dunne is going to do this unless you pay for a personal trainer.

To be fair the staff will give you guidance when you join. I was asked did I want a workout plan and what goals did I want to achieve. I was only joining for the pool so I politely declined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh. I was under the impression that they'd give you a quick tour and that was it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Zillah wrote: »
    Oh. I was under the impression that they'd give you a quick tour and that was it.

Best hope is you'll get an hour of their time and that'll be it. Barely enough to talk about goals and perform a movement screen - never mind show a full training program.

(through no fault of their own I might add - it's just the way the system is)

If you're serious about results and you don't nkow what to do, a few sessions with a PT or a few months in a semi private gym are the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

Hi all

I want to join a gym but very nervous about it as I've never set foot in one before, am very unfit and I have about 4.5 stone to lose.

Thought of the gym fills me with fear and hope that someone could advise on one which might be good and not too packed or even on ones to avoid!

Thanks a mil!
    Have you room for a exercise bike or set of dumbells at home?? You could do alot at home. Wouldn't take up too much room

Exercise bike, adjustable dumbell set, bench and floor mats and you'd be flying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

try south dublin strength and conditioning in harolds cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Hi all

Thanks a mil!

There really is no need to worry about going to a gym for the first time. The first time going to a gym can be stressful as you worry about what to wear, what is it like in the changing rooms, how do you use all the machines, what machines should you use, will you make a fool of yourself, will people look at your overweight body with revulsion etc.

Gyms are not full of bikini bodied babes and macho power lifters. They are full of ordinary average people, just like you, no matter what you look like. There are morbidly obese people trying to lose massive amounts of weight, skinny almost anorexic people trying to but on some weight, average size people just trying to tone up a little, pensioners trying to stretch their tightening joints, average people trying to lose one stone and every other type in between.

None of these people give a damn about you, most are in a world of their own concentrating on their own workouts, trying not to drop weights on their heads, trying not lose their balance and fall over while stretching. Remember everyone one of these people walked into a gym for the first time just like you.

People who are overweight often feel paranoid about going to a gym for the first time, you spend so much time in the outside world trying to hide your excess fat that the idea of wrapping yourself in tight Lycra and then jiggling about in front of people who are fitter than you is the very definition of humiliating. Whenever I see someone overweight in the gym I never think badly of them, I always think 'fair play to you' you have decided to try and fix the problem, to improve yourself, to make yourself happier.

Different gyms operate differently for new members. First, pick two or three gyms that are either near to your home or to your work. If the gym isn't convenient you are far less likely to attend regularly. Then visit each of these gyms, the person behind the desk will want to sign you as a new member so they will be more than willing to show you around the whole place. At that point you can ask what the situation is with working out a program for you once you have joined. After that hopefully you will be in a position to chose which one to go for. You can always come back to boards to see what other people think of the gyms you have shortlisted.

A cheaper gym like Ben Dunne will usually give you a quick assessment on your first visit and a quick plan. After that they leave you to yourself, if you want any more help, then they expect you to use a personal trainer. They have plenty of them working out of their gyms and you pay them directly for each session.

A more expensive gym will give you a full program and every few months will give you a new assessment and revise it.

Personally I don't think the more expensive gyms are worth it unless you are interested in the extra facilities. If you are only interested in a gym then Ben Dunne is perfect for the job. If you want tennis, squash, saunas, beauty treatment etc then consider a more expensive one.

The best bet might be to join a cheaper gym, take the free initial assessment just to familiarise yourself with the place. Once you are comfortable choose one of the personal trainers and make an appointment with them. They will give you their undivided attention and work out a program that suits you, taking into account what your goals are, what exercises you like and what ones you can't stand. You can then do their program on your own for a few weeks and book another session with them when you are ready to advance a bit more.

A personal trainer is also a great way to make sure that you are doing your exercises correctly or using the machines correctly. It might seem obvious how to do some exercises but you can do yourself some damage if you are not shown how to do it right in the first place. This is particularly true if you want to lift some weights to tone up or put on some muscle. You can do some serious damage if you do it wrong.

Advertisement