Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PIC] Preventing rain splashing mud onto garden walls!

Options
  • 18-06-2016 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Our driveway is a slightly odd shape and has a corner which is the lowest point, meaning rain water flows towards it bringing silt, leaves, etc.

As a result it's difficult to keep that corner clean, and when it rains the mud/silt splashes up onto the wall. See the pic attached - believe it or not the wall was painted just 2 days ago!

I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions to help avoid this? Any ideas very welcome!

[First world problem, I know. But that corner is the first thing you see when you leave the house :) ]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Pretty tricky corner given gas elec and telephone service.:D

perhaps consider lifting a strip of the cobble lock, maybe 6 rows out and replace it with gravel, don't know where it will drain to but less splashing.

The other, more complex option is to fit an interceptor drainage channel from left to right if you have enough fall and some where for it to go and are careful about the services.

something like in the link
    http://www.galco.ie/drainage-systems-linear-channel-drainage.php

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

It's a tough one considering that everything tends to collect in that corner, so the cobbles will always be somewhat dirty. Ideally, gravel in closest to the wall and some drainage, but neither of those are easy options in that spot. Quick/lazy option - a 6-inch trim of darker brown paint at the bottom of the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Probably expensive but you could lift the paving and raise the level of the ground in that corner and repave to create a slope so that the low point is in front of the gate and water then flows under. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Whats on the other side of that wall? If its nothing much you could core drill from the other side and let the water leave through the wall.

Advertisement